Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2520 2521 [2522] 2523 2524 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099925 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #37815 on: November 04, 2014, 11:37:30 am »

Hmmm... the tower sent some visitors, 4 gobs, a dwarf, and two humans, beat them back to regular death, it is now spring with no caravans and still just the first 2 migrants.

I'd hate to think a fort with a name like Catgrinds is going to do nothing but... grind kittens into food and leather.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 11:39:40 am by Max™ »

Kuikka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37816 on: November 04, 2014, 11:51:32 am »

Elves were finally useful. So, amongst their casual offerings (fruits and lots of tinder) they brought... a giant tiger. Which soon was a war giant tiger. This was a good add to Rivertrapped's defense.

If I give it to my militia commander and happend to find a breeding pair later, does it work? I'm not quite sure but they dont need to roam freely? Although, I'm not sure if I want it to die in near future when in military "service"....
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 11:53:44 am by Kuikka »

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37817 on: November 04, 2014, 01:56:53 pm »

5 Dwarves standing over the Elven caravan they just slaughtered in 3 seconds in the blood stained trade depot. All of then are horrified from killing sentients.
Soldier A: "Oh where is [insert name of some family member]? I cannot be overcome by grief!"
Soldier B:"Oh Where is [Urist-overseer-don't-care]? I am almost overcome by sadness!"
Soldier C:"Oh how lovely it is to be around family!"

Way to rub it in, jerk.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37818 on: November 04, 2014, 02:23:14 pm »

Elves were finally useful. So, amongst their casual offerings (fruits and lots of tinder) they brought... a giant tiger. Which soon was a war giant tiger. This was a good add to Rivertrapped's defense.

If I give it to my militia commander and happend to find a breeding pair later, does it work? I'm not quite sure but they dont need to roam freely? Although, I'm not sure if I want it to die in near future when in military "service"....

Be wary, fighting animals tend to be pretty skittish now over the stalwart warriors that once fought and died for thier masters for a pittance of shelter and table scraps, or least the last time I bothered with them they were if they didn't come with "NOFEAR/NO_FEAR" (I forget how it's set up.) As far as breeding goes, just need them meandering about outside a cage.

Let the horrid example set by Spiritnet's war leopard program (whence they were killed by children and fled from enemies and berserk dwarves alike,) be a lesson to all.

-

I have tentatively reenabled invaders after disabling them for Raremanors' attempted aquifer breach. I hope if a small band of bastards shows up my militia can match them. Especially since the local area is steeped in conflict with the elves and goblins.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37819 on: November 04, 2014, 02:30:46 pm »

While Searingmines prepares for the Day at the Circus various comic sideshows keep happening simultaneously both above and below ground.

On the surface, a rather fabulously named Cyclops "Uzur Ivorysparks the Relic of Twinkles" strutted on the map and picked a fight with an elephant. During the fight he stubbed his toe and promptly passed out, still hugging the bull elephant's neck. I'm sending a squad out to prevent him embarrassing himself any further.

In the first cavern, a naked explorer Rith Basementtaxes has lost his mind from worrying over his old injury and stumbles around obliviously. A monstrous shelled serpent, "Sanene Cryptdead the Hollow Night", has been trying to get his attention for days now. It keeps snapping and spitting poison at him but despite being out of his mind he instinctively dodges every single attack.

EDIT:
When Rith became aware of he surroundings again, he seemed to lose his invulnerability towards Sanene's attacks and was quickly dismembered by the beast. True Drunken Master style if I ever saw one.

The sissy Cyclops was killed by a single stab of spear when the first vomiting and retching militia member finally reached him. Uzur, I am disappoint.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 04:40:47 pm by Staalo »
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37820 on: November 04, 2014, 04:31:03 pm »

Raremanor's first mood and it's going to end in a fatality. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. Founder and Armorer/Furnace operator Trypt went fey. I can't get underground to find metals because of the large aquifer. As you could imagine, this will be detrimental to Trypt's health, and the sanity of her friends.

EDIT: Mercifully all she wanted was some leather, not an additional bar of metal (she'd seized both a bar of copper and a bar of bismuth.) Copper it may be, but at least I get a legendary armorer out of it. It depicts a Roc killing a goblins, and is a left gauntlet dubbed "The Trampled Empty"

Glimmer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #37821 on: November 04, 2014, 05:14:55 pm »

Not much going on in my fort, to be fair. I lack the right metals to make weapons and armor, the trade caravan won't show up for some reason, apparently my farmers have a blind spot for plump helmet spawns and by the looks of it i'm probably just going to replace all the walls and furniture in my fort with gold because there is only so much wealth you can get before you can buy a whole trade caravan three times oves and still have enough left for the elves.

On some brighter news, i got a somewhat working militia and a large food stockpile, there just doesn't seem to be anyhting to 'do' in it.
Sanity is severely overrated.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37822 on: November 04, 2014, 05:48:03 pm »

Fiddled around with an old-world fort to see if separated-from-loved-ones trauma can be reliably triggered. Yep, seems like, but how fast it proceeds depends very much on the dwarf's personality. I had a female dwarf who missed six people or so and in spite of constant moaning didn't pick up visible bad vibes (i.e. didn't proceed to stressed) in about ten months, while another dwarf with a similar number of missing relatives went all the way to "harrowed" in half a year. He went through several depressive episodes and was of course the first dwarf to mood. Lovely dwarf bone buckler, but by that time we already had a visit from a werebison and in a fit of dwarvenness i didn't quarantine those who had been involved in combat.

The end.

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #37823 on: November 04, 2014, 11:13:50 pm »

All is quiet in the nice little fortress of Arrowprinces..... aside from the moody armoursmith and the miner union crying for their fallen comrade, who bit it to a cave spider.

Side note to the dead guy; I just realized that dwarves generally bury their dead naked. Absolutely nothing on the corpses.... they're just sitting there in their coffin/sarcophagus, letting it all hang out. Why do I have to notice these things?
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37824 on: November 05, 2014, 02:50:04 am »

The aquifer was 2 layers deep.  Used the double slit method, and have secured one of the two slits on the second aquifer layer, giving me access to the dry stone layer below.

Currently cutting out some chambers that I will allow to become temporarily flooded as I secure the second slit and do some final cleanups of the two aquifer breach layer's retaining walls.

Going to carve a drain fortification in the dry stone layer to ensure that "permaflooding" is not possible while I do this.

Nikow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37825 on: November 05, 2014, 02:59:38 am »

All is quiet in the nice little fortress of Arrowprinces..... aside from the moody armoursmith and the miner union crying for their fallen comrade, who bit it to a cave spider.

Side note to the dead guy; I just realized that dwarves generally bury their dead naked. Absolutely nothing on the corpses.... they're just sitting there in their coffin/sarcophagus, letting it all hang out. Why do I have to notice these things?
They are precaution, they are striping naked corpses, because They will by easier to put down in case when, They rise from the dead. Necromancers, winter is comming, bad biomes.... These stories, you know.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
In my fortress dwarves are dying from old age.
Dwarven wine is a little bit like good chicken soup:  solid at room temperature.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37826 on: November 05, 2014, 03:35:12 am »

I use dwarfpowered pumps to move water. The intake is below a grate and behind a fortification despite that trolls, troglodytes ended up there (I guess washed in by the water, but can't leave while pumping is going on due to fortification and they drown when pumping ends). So now, instead of a little useful cross-training I have a horrorgym.

Col_Jessep

• Bay Watcher
  • ♦ Cat Herder
    • View Profile
« Reply #37827 on: November 05, 2014, 06:22:55 am »

Small goblin invasion in Woundtorment. I'm activating my two squads of professional soldiers and sending them out to meet the enemy. No civies nearby so I don't bother with the military alert. Suddenly my baroness and mayor stick their heads out of my exploratory mineshaft, they are right between the gobbos and my military!

The duchess (no mandates) dodges a couple of attacks and runs for the fort. Very good.

My mayor charges the enemy, alone! 16 goblins! She's my mayor, bookkeeper, broker and manager. Oh feck...

6 pages of combat log later:

my mayor has killed 10 goblins with her bronze pick. Not a scratch on her!

"Death is all around us. This is truly horrifying."
Indeed, it's truly horrifying how you butchered 10 gobbos all by your lonesome! I consider your buckler mandates top priority from now on. We wouldn't want you to throw a hissy fit in the meeting hall... 0_o

The Overseer

The battlefield:

:o

The gobbos were weak but it's still an impressive display imo. Putting my VIPs into a squad and training them really paid off.

PS: It seems DF gave her a hero's name, "Ros Rober" which probably means "Decisive Wipe" or similar. Very fitting! =3
She likes platinum. I think I'll have my blacksmith working on something nice for her. And she'll move into the larger quarters next to the duchess.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 08:14:36 am by Col_Jessep »
Just kids...

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #37828 on: November 05, 2014, 10:42:56 am »

Yeah, picks are ridiculously deadly.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #37829 on: November 05, 2014, 10:52:22 am »

Just found my chief medical dwarf has ten children, the eldest one is seventeen years old and the youngest 3 days old (she's the 100th citizen).

:o
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 10:54:15 am by utunnels »
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!
Pages: 1 ... 2520 2521 [2522] 2523 2524 ... 3842