Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2223 2224 [2225] 2226 2227 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6096273 times)

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #33360 on: March 02, 2014, 09:41:23 am »

Got an artifact bronze mail shirt. Fey mood. This is why you pick your starting smiths out when embarking based on likes and dislikes.
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #33361 on: March 02, 2014, 11:32:07 am »

It's also important that the forges are closest to good metals.

I got a platinum hammer and an admantine sword because the metal was conveniently close to the forge.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33362 on: March 02, 2014, 11:33:32 am »

I got a platinum hammer and an admantine sword because the metal was conveniently close to the forge.

You can also just forbid every metal except the one you want.

Doesn't work, of course, when your dwarf wants specifically pig iron or some other stupid crazy shit like that.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33363 on: March 02, 2014, 11:51:14 am »

Platinum, yes, but adamantine afaik always gets absolute preference when picking base materials for smithing when you have any wafers at all. Same holds for clothing moods if you have any woven adamantine cloth.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #33364 on: March 02, 2014, 12:31:48 pm »

I would actually pick steel as the go to metal. sure adamantine is much more deadly, but there's always a chance you'll make a hammer. Which has the effectiveness of a wiffle bat. every potential moodable weapon is deadly when made with steel as it's sharp and dense.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33365 on: March 02, 2014, 01:12:22 pm »

Now that I've finished the transcendance chamber a while ago, I'm bored with the fort atm. SO, I've decided to sort of fool around. I made the meeting areas into one single area to slowly have the dwarves start making friends.

Meanwhile, since I'm not exactly sure what will happen if I have my dwarves directly attack the human caravan (never did get a siege from them), whether the soldiers will become perma hostile to the human civ or what, so I decided to put the various goblin and troll captives (of which I have A LOT) into two cages at the depot along with various random cavern animals that went into the traps.

However, the human caravan came before it was ready and I had to put the transfers on hold, though I finished after they left. Also, a dragon came shortly before the caravan came, haven't had one in this fort for AGES. I also captured a cave dragon, those are rare, so maybe theres hope for a GCS.

While all this was going on, I had two moods which used adamantine wafers when I wasn't looking :P I'm thinking of using the bolt method of increasing adamantine stockpiles anyway and I have over 600 wafers, so the usage of two isn't that big of a deal.

I had actually removed the equipment of most of the goblins before I had thought of the idea, so I cage trapped another siege and left them with their equipment and added those to the cages.

I know it's a one shot caravan killing device, but hey.....

Edit: asdfgh ambush attacking the dwarven caravan.....

Edit2: The guards got them handled, but going to set up guard posts with my military anyway.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 01:16:09 pm by smjjames »

Justice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33366 on: March 02, 2014, 01:48:56 pm »

Autumn,  first year, have one dwarf in joining the metalsmith guild, miners digging out more bedrooms, bar storage, and an ore processor. Just got some migrants with all useless skills other than the herbalist, so they'll be joining the tiny military and building more walls.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33367 on: March 02, 2014, 01:56:34 pm »

Meanwhile, since I'm not exactly sure what will happen if I have my dwarves directly attack the human caravan (never did get a siege from them), whether the soldiers will become perma hostile to the human civ or what, so I decided to put the various goblin and troll captives (of which I have A LOT) into two cages at the depot along with various random cavern animals that went into the traps.

What's that supposed to achieve? Caught and released goblins will only path to the map border and will usually actively flee from combat. The only thing that will happen is that the caravan guards will attack released prisoners, both goblins and merchants will try to run away from each other.

Actively attacking human caravan guards or diplomats flags your units as enemies of the civ, but it seems that other civ members don't really notice. I had a bunch of dwarfs selectively kill the human caravan guards - one by one. The other guards didn't react before their number was up and the caravan calmly continued packing up their junk and peacefully left the map. Attacking the merchants themselves makes the rest of the caravan react, notably the entire caravan will "flee" as soon as one of their units is dead/destroyed. Soldiers will be flagged enemies of the merchants' civ, but later caravans of that civilisation don't show hostility to them.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33368 on: March 02, 2014, 02:30:06 pm »

What's that supposed to achieve? Caught and released goblins will only path to the map border and will usually actively flee from combat. The only thing that will happen is that the caravan guards will attack released prisoners, both goblins and merchants will try to run away from each other.

Actively attacking human caravan guards or diplomats flags your units as enemies of the civ, but it seems that other civ members don't really notice. I had a bunch of dwarfs selectively kill the human caravan guards - one by one. The other guards didn't react before their number was up and the caravan calmly continued packing up their junk and peacefully left the map. Attacking the merchants themselves makes the rest of the caravan react, notably the entire caravan will "flee" as soon as one of their units is dead/destroyed. Soldiers will be flagged enemies of the merchants' civ, but later caravans of that civilisation don't show hostility to them.

I just didn't know whether it would cause the 'enemy of human civ' flagged soldiers to either auto attack the next caravan if they are active or get interrupted by them if inactive. Which is mainly what I'm worried about since I don't want them attacking if I don't want them to and getting interrupted by merchant would be annoying.

What's that supposed to achieve?

Entertainment, what else. Plus I have bridges to box them in and there is only one way back out in case it doesn't work. I'm also trying to get sieged by the humans since I've never gotten sieged by them.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 02:38:27 pm by smjjames »

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33369 on: March 02, 2014, 03:29:17 pm »

Edit2: The guards got them handled, but going to set up guard posts with my military anyway.

Chain a few animals around the borders of your embark. They'll reveal ambushes pretty fast.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33370 on: March 02, 2014, 04:32:01 pm »

Chain a few animals around the borders of your embark. They'll reveal ambushes pretty fast.

Or just dump a bunch of cats on the surface. Works like a charm.
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33371 on: March 02, 2014, 05:27:47 pm »

Or just dump a bunch of cats on the surface. Works like a charm.

They entered on the map essentially right behind the caravan, so it wouldn't really have helped.

Beast Tamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33372 on: March 02, 2014, 06:06:42 pm »

My cooks are making roasts out of frozen donkey milk...
There is currently a minor problem in that the veteran demons fighting in the corpse factory have failed to die in the 2 year battle and have become legendary unkillable gods of war. I may have misjudged this possible outcome.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33373 on: March 02, 2014, 06:11:01 pm »

My cooks are making roasts out of frozen donkey milk...

Baked Alaska?

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Beast Tamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33374 on: March 02, 2014, 06:14:44 pm »

It has minced wolf intestines and dwarven syrup in it. So, yeah, I guess.
There is currently a minor problem in that the veteran demons fighting in the corpse factory have failed to die in the 2 year battle and have become legendary unkillable gods of war. I may have misjudged this possible outcome.
Pages: 1 ... 2223 2224 [2225] 2226 2227 ... 3842