Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2177 2178 [2179] 2180 2181 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6094502 times)

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #32670 on: January 30, 2014, 08:09:26 pm »

I don't think that means their appearance changes at all after they're fully grown; even if they did, it would be ridiculous that their appearance would change rapidly and consistently enough to be able to judge their age to the year. I think the queen probably looks just as lovely as she did when she was thirty.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32671 on: January 30, 2014, 08:10:21 pm »

If an elf lives long enough, they could eventually hit critical mass and become a raisin. I'm convinced, this is now my headcanon. All elves aspire to live long enough to achieve raisin nirvana and become one with nature.

If they don't reach it, do they wine about it in the afterlife?

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32672 on: January 30, 2014, 08:28:38 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

How does someone who's immortal to death from age "have the appearance of one that is seven hundred ninety years old?" Does this mean elves age? Does this mean your queen is wrinkly and old looking? Assuming the effects of her age on her appearance would increase as time passes similar to humans, does this make her a raisin?

If so, your queen is a badass raisin.
The year is only 708, so she is older than time.

Sadly, she just died of thirst. While standing next to the booze stockpile.
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #32673 on: January 30, 2014, 08:29:39 pm »

Couldn't even drink to save her life. She didn't deserve to rule dwarves.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32674 on: January 30, 2014, 08:34:03 pm »

Non-dwarf citizens are kind of buggy.

Aside from the obvious fact that they can't do any jobs or be assigned rooms, they also can't drink booze. They can eat food out of barrels just fine, but if they get thirsty they will need an open source of water, as they can't use wells.

If their clothes wear away they won't get new ones either. Not that they care, they seem to be immune to thoughts, both negative and positive.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32675 on: January 30, 2014, 08:37:17 pm »

That is quite disappointing.

I thought I could have a Cacame on my hands. Her stats looked pretty good. Shame I couldn't get some control over her.
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #32676 on: January 30, 2014, 08:50:56 pm »

She appears to be seven hundred ninety, but she actually just turned eight hundred. She looks really good for her age.

But the fact that you can distinguish the elf's age from their appearance means they don't have the stereotypical ageless properties of the usual fantasy elves. This means that elves in DF must show some sign of age. If such elves will never die from living long enough, then as they live longer and longer the signs of age must add up, which could really exceed the aging appearance of a human.

If an elf lives long enough, they could eventually hit critical mass and become a raisin. I'm convinced, this is now my headcanon. All elves aspire to live long enough to achieve raisin nirvana and become one with nature.

Mind if I sig that?
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32677 on: January 30, 2014, 08:52:49 pm »

What BlackFlyme is saying is that within a few months you'll have a naked Elf queen wandering around your fortress ruling over your beards, drinking nothing but water, and sleeping wherever she happens to be at whatever time she happens to be there.

...in other words, a complete naturist. Eeeeeeeeew.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
  • A scaly cat. Beware its acidic webs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32678 on: January 30, 2014, 09:01:47 pm »

No one said elves age fast. Appearing to be 700 probably means that she looks 30 by human standards.
I have no clue what I am doing here.

I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Starweaver396

• Bay Watcher
  • Misplaced
    • View Profile
« Reply #32679 on: January 30, 2014, 09:02:17 pm »

I don't think that means their appearance changes at all after they're fully grown; even if they did, it would be ridiculous that their appearance would change rapidly and consistently enough to be able to judge their age to the year. I think the queen probably looks just as lovely as she did when she was thirty.

In Dnd, as elves age, they change into light. When they die of old age, they simply fade from existence.

Also, I made a fort. I was going to use 20 dwarves, build a family-progression and long lasting fort like VerdantSF and Lielac. Then I accidently hit the x key. Which, by the way, never worked up to that point. How rude. It was sitting on a 5x4 embark, 4 good forest, 4 evil glacier, and 8 neutral woodland. I though it was perfect, especially when unicorns wandered in and out of the good and evil biomes, gaining the strength of thralls and losing the undead tags(good tiles have weather in my personal mod). Oh well.

ninja'd seven times... you guys move fast.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 09:04:22 pm by Starweaver396 »
...a limbless, headless, bloodless and mutilated dwarf torso that is nevertheless kept alive through benevolent faerie magicks. He is blind, helpless, and in excruciating pain, and yet does not die...
E: I should point out that this is all because of Starweaver giving me inspiration   Aren't you happy with yourself, Starweaver?

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #32680 on: January 30, 2014, 09:31:33 pm »

Mind if I sig that?

If you want to, sure thing dude. *silently fistpumps*
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #32681 on: January 30, 2014, 09:33:12 pm »

wait, what happened when you hit the x key?
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #32682 on: January 30, 2014, 09:45:57 pm »

Found a pretty sweet spot where a cavern penetrates the surface, and a clown fort lies underneath.

Neat, didn't think that was possible!  I can just imagine your dwarves scurrying around to close that up asap.  How far deep are the clowns?

Clowns are down in the third cavern level, and the cave from the surface leads into the first cavern, right into a massive lake. Don't see any other connections between the caverns, but the clown fort is just a little to the south where the cavern opens up to the surface.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32683 on: January 30, 2014, 10:43:33 pm »

As the year turned to 260, Rockadmire became the mountainhome.  Nice for my dwarves and I am quite pleased. :)

Outside the game, this is the first fortress I've had that actually got the King.  It took me five years (almost exactly), numerous fortresses, and a bunch of different versions starting from 40d to get there.  And my King is boring and normal, just how I like it, and like most of my fortresses. :D

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32684 on: January 30, 2014, 11:23:37 pm »

Zombie dragons are actually pretty lame; they can't breathe fire.

Yeah, but at least they're still dragons rather than useless bones. I think Lielac would far prefer zombie dragons to flat-out dead dragons.

hssssss don't remind me of that awfulness hssssss

Laborfords Wahey, we're back to normal!
5th Granite 230

Work continues on the great wall. Also, I set basically everything metal on the map to be melted except the anvils in the forges and the picks my miners are carrying. Wheeeeeeeee!

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.
Pages: 1 ... 2177 2178 [2179] 2180 2181 ... 3842