Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2176 2177 [2178] 2179 2180 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6093782 times)

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #32655 on: January 30, 2014, 12:27:30 pm »

The good news is that if my dragons die, they will be reanimated as zombie dragons.

This is why I love DF. Zombie dragons are good news.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #32656 on: January 30, 2014, 02:03:39 pm »

Zombie dragons are actually pretty lame; they can't breathe fire.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32657 on: January 30, 2014, 05:55:02 pm »

Zombie dragons are actually pretty lame; they can't breathe fire.

Yeah, but at least they're still dragons rather than useless bones. I think Lielac would far prefer zombie dragons to flat-out dead dragons.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32658 on: January 30, 2014, 05:57:54 pm »

Alive, dragons are glass cannons. Undead, dragons are walking bags of broken glass.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32659 on: January 30, 2014, 07:19:30 pm »

Id's father managed to make it into the bunker safely, but he and the two other survivors soon perished when a ghost unlocked the bunker's door and two zombies barged in.

Possessing unparalleled tenacity (or stubbornness), I decided to try to reclaim Wipedboots once again, but this time I will succeed. No fuckin' around, I'm going to reclaim this bitch. The Boats of Paper set off with ingredients to make several bars of steel, some weapons and ammo, some stone, lots of wood, and some provisions and seeds to keep the dwarves alive. The dwarves themselves were a miner-mason, two marksdwarves, a farmer, a furnace operator, a bonecarver to make bolts, and an armorer. The plan was to immediately build a wall around the wagon as soon as it stopped, and then to burrow deeply and safely beneath the earth and begin turtling like there was no tomorrow.

This worked out well until a few zombie ravens flew down the staircase. One savaged a marksdwarf pretty severely, ripping his hand off and breaking several of his bones before going down and, since the entrance to the fortress is in the haunted tundra, soon reanimated and was a gigantic pain in the ass to deal with. Once the zombies make it into the fort once, they become extremely difficult to deal with no matter how easily my soldiers can kill them. The farmer died of his wounds after fighting with a zombie raven, as did several other dwarves as the entrance staircase became clogged with dangerous corpses.

The four survivors, which consisted of the miner-mason, the bonecarver, a horribly mangled marksdwarf with an empty quiver, and a furnace operator with a broken spine, safely sealed themselves behind first a locked door and then a wall of solid stone, completely without food or sustenance. With the tunnel between the survivors and their food being full of blood-thirsty zombies, the dwarves' only chance of survival lay in finding the caverns.

With no conceivable chance of surviving his maims, the poor marksdwarf was preemptively sealed behind a stone wall so that his corpse would not pose any danger to the living dwarves after his passing. His muffled sobs chilled the other three, but nothing else could be done for him.

At last the salvation that the dwarves sought was reached, and the two capable dwarves drank greedily from a subterranean pool. The furnace operator, unable to make the long descent to the cavern system, crawled around the bunker trying to hunt rodents. In typical dwarven fashion, the miner postponed digging the tunnel that would bring him to delicious naturally growing plump helmets so that he could hunt rats instead, dooming himself and his compatriots to die of starvation.

I think I've reached my tenacity's limit; aluminum or no, that was my last Wipedboots reclaim attempt.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32660 on: January 30, 2014, 07:31:57 pm »

Umbralzenith has fallen. Three dwarves trapped in cages, have to abandon.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Jeeze, methinks the mod might be a little too hardcore if you're getting trounced so quickly. :P

Although granted this one seemed to have suffered at the burny hands of an FB rather than the spawn or Sequivet raid teams...

Eh, it was about half-and-half. A Spawn ambush got in and started scaring my dwarves, KOing them on top of cages, clawing rather than biting...

Now, to fix the Skythes...
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 07:38:35 pm by Lolfail0009 »

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32661 on: January 30, 2014, 07:34:29 pm »

So, I started a glacier fort.

Going well until I realised I had a lot of idle dwarves making friends in the dining room. A few years in and we have a 40-goblin ambush who kill 5 civilians and start a tantrum spiral. In the midst of said spiral, the fort became the mountainhome.

A massive migrant wave arrives.

10 lords and ladies, 10 consorts, and the Queen.

But the queen isn't any ordinary queen.

I have never seen so many nobles just appear from nowhere. Is that normal? Previously when a fort of mine has become a mountainhome, the monarch arrives with some legendary bodyguards. No military dwarves have arrived.

The queen is just chilling in the dining room, enjoying the slaughter. I can't assign her or make her do anything, but I can assign tasks and military squads to the lords, ladies and consorts.

I now have another 10 people on top of my baron and mayor making mandates, as my fort tears itself apart. This is a new one on me...
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
  • A scaly cat. Beware its acidic webs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32662 on: January 30, 2014, 07:40:03 pm »

Everything was going great. No one had died since reclaim. Then the caravan was followed by a bunch of crossbowgobs, they slaughtered my military before the caravan guards killed them, and my mayor promptly went into a fell mood and killed one of the previous artifact-makers. Oi.
I have no clue what I am doing here.

I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32663 on: January 30, 2014, 07:42:44 pm »

So, I started a glacier fort.

Going well until I realised I had a lot of idle dwarves making friends in the dining room. A few years in and we have a 40-goblin ambush who kill 5 civilians and start a tantrum spiral. In the midst of said spiral, the fort became the mountainhome.

A massive migrant wave arrives.

10 lords and ladies, 10 consorts, and the Queen.

But the queen isn't any ordinary queen.

I have never seen so many nobles just appear from nowhere. Is that normal? Previously when a fort of mine has become a mountainhome, the monarch arrives with some legendary bodyguards. No military dwarves have arrived.

The queen is just chilling in the dining room, enjoying the slaughter. I can't assign her or make her do anything, but I can assign tasks and military squads to the lords, ladies and consorts.

I now have another 10 people on top of my baron and mayor making mandates, as my fort tears itself apart. This is a new one on me...

Your queen looks badass, but that's to be expected; she was raised by dwarves!
Edit: And from that description, she looks like Princess Amalia from Wakfu, except a good seven hundred and seventy seven years older.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 07:44:35 pm by Lolfail0009 »

MrCompassionate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32664 on: January 30, 2014, 07:47:06 pm »

My first fort that has lasted over 10 years, we are now at year 15. The whole place is designed to kill demons and my whole objective is to dominate hell in every way possible. We just finished our first Rabbit Demon leather coats... so badass!

We also have a hell stairway and we have been going about stealing spider devil webs and making cloth. We also shot a few to death with crossbows and dragged their corpses back for butchering, poor buggers. They are killing a fair few of us though but a steady stream of migrants is keeping us afloat.

Edit: Oh and we also shot a giant scaled worm demon and made soap out of its tallow, then had soapy demon baths. Truly victory is ours.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 07:49:04 pm by MrCompassionate »
NOW THE DEMONS OF THE UNDERWORLD SHALL SHARE IN MY HELL! NOTHING IS WORSE THAN A RAVEN CORPSE! NOTHING!

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32665 on: January 30, 2014, 07:49:24 pm »

Edit: And from that description, she looks like Princess Amalia from Wakfu, except a good seven hundred and seventy seven years older.
I would like to draft her into yhe military and start breaking heads, but I can't even assign her a room.

Is there a DFHack way to make the elf queen become a functioning member of the fort?
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32666 on: January 30, 2014, 07:52:28 pm »

I would like to draft her into yhe military and start breaking heads, but I can't even assign her a room.

Is there a DFHack way to make the elf queen become a functioning member of the fort?

Perhaps. BUT you can also force nobility's assignments in Dwarf Therapist, I believe. Or you could visit the RAWs (entity_default.txt) and remove a couple of self-explanatory tags that I can't recall...

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #32667 on: January 30, 2014, 07:53:00 pm »

How does someone who's immortal to death from age "have the appearance of one that is seven hundred ninety years old?" Does this mean elves age? Does this mean your queen is wrinkly and old looking? Assuming the effects of her age on her appearance would increase as time passes similar to humans, does this make her a raisin?

If so, your queen is a badass raisin.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32668 on: January 30, 2014, 07:55:55 pm »

She appears to be seven hundred ninety, but she actually just turned eight hundred. She looks really good for her age.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #32669 on: January 30, 2014, 08:06:13 pm »

She appears to be seven hundred ninety, but she actually just turned eight hundred. She looks really good for her age.

But the fact that you can distinguish the elf's age from their appearance means they don't have the stereotypical ageless properties of the usual fantasy elves. This means that elves in DF must show some sign of age. If such elves will never die from living long enough, then as they live longer and longer the signs of age must add up, which could really exceed the aging appearance of a human.

If an elf lives long enough, they could eventually hit critical mass and become a raisin. I'm convinced, this is now my headcanon. All elves aspire to live long enough to achieve raisin nirvana and become one with nature.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _
Pages: 1 ... 2176 2177 [2178] 2179 2180 ... 3842