Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2175 2176 [2177] 2178 2179 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6094523 times)

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #32640 on: January 30, 2014, 05:05:41 am »

So the wibbly-wobbly dwarfy-warfy bugtest was a success, then?

Not just yet. As of 28th Slate, I accidentally set both my miners on fire by digging warm addy where I shouldn't.

O maaaaaaaan. 2nd Galena and I get a legendary miner from my old fort as well as Matriarch Ushat (Holeportals) and her 11 underage children. Kadol II has planting activated as expected, but I didn't get any legendary beardlings. Hmpf. But I did get a 13-strong first migrant wave, and that is a definite first. I blame the candy.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 05:31:43 am by Lielac »

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32641 on: January 30, 2014, 06:15:24 am »

~Umbralzenith~

Remember that second FB that I had hoped beyond hope wouldn't attack?
Well...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oopth.

It's the flying one made of flame. And not only can it [IMMOLATE], but it [CAN_DO_INTERACTION:MATERIAL_EMISSION] in the form of a fireball. And it is deathly accurate.
What's worse is that it's SMART. It KNOWS that if it proceeds into the corridors then the Gambol Shroud would eventually score a hit and knock it to ash, so I've had to recruit a Hunter into a one-man squad to knock it into oblivion from afar.

So far it has killed four of the Gambol Shroud, a miner and a fisherdwarf.

Sweet fucknuggets I want this motherfucking ember DEAD.

Edit: IT KILLED TORRI IT SHALL DIE

Edit 2: HOW THE FUCK IS THE BOOZE ON FIRE WHY ARE HALF MY DWARVES DEAD?

Edit 3: OH NOW YOU USE DRAGON FIRE BREATH YOU LITTLE ARSEHOLE FLAME

Edit 4: FUCK OFF SPAWN I'M BUSY

Edit 5: DFHACK WHAT DO YOU MEAN THERE ARE NO SKYTHES?  :'(
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 06:39:55 am by Lolfail0009 »

mounf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32642 on: January 30, 2014, 06:24:44 am »

Watchdiamonds - year 23.
On top of a large block of obsidian, precariously suspended hundreds of meters above a great river, apparently in defiance of gravity and common sense (not to mention health and safety), an overseer is instructing his miners:

Overseer - "OK, great work by the mechanics in casting this block of obsidian to exactly the right dimensions. Now you lads just need to channel out the edges and we can drop it to form the base of the tower"
Miner - "Right, umm, it's exactly the right size?"
Overseer - "Of course! I calculated it carefully, look it's here on the blueprints!"
Miner - "So, after we've channelled out the edges, it will no longer be the right size?"
Overseer - "Well, I, ermm. Oh ^&*%"
Miner - "Call us back when you can add up?"

---

That was the scene playing in my head... I carefully planned everything (including casting 2 tiles larger in every dimension to allow for channelling) then used the wrong measurements when I designated the scaffolding for construction - Oops.

2 years later after a lot of swearing and controlled cave ins the obsidian casting and dropping is going well. Another 2 years and a tower fit for a dwarven king will be ready for engraving.
----------------------------------
"Oops"

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32643 on: January 30, 2014, 06:45:39 am »

Umbralzenith has fallen. Three dwarves trapped in cages, have to abandon.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 06:50:37 am by Lolfail0009 »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32644 on: January 30, 2014, 07:14:56 am »

Umbralzenith has fallen. Three dwarves trapped in cages, have to abandon.

Jeeze, methinks the mod might be a little too hardcore if you're getting trounced so quickly. :P

Although granted this one seemed to have suffered at the burny hands of an FB rather than the spawn or Sequivet raid teams...

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32645 on: January 30, 2014, 07:18:37 am »

Still in an alternate universe...

Tongsmyth
28th Granite, 233

i got the information i came for why can i not stop

is it because of the c̴̨͇͓̻̺̿̾̽̓̃ͫ̈́̀ͅaͪͮ͏͉̩̕n͋̍̒̒̋҉҉̞̜̖̠ḍ̶̠͔̜̘ͤ̊̾͒́y̋͏͔̟̹̯̻

i'm gonna go crack open the fun stuff now

Edit:

Tongsmyth
5th Sandstone, 233

Okay, that took longer than ideal because I had to pump the magma out of the candy cane, but finally--

Spoiler: too much ‼fun‼ (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 08:58:20 am by Lielac »

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32646 on: January 30, 2014, 08:52:30 am »

~Umbralzenith~

Remember that second FB that I had hoped beyond hope wouldn't attack?
Well...

Oopth.

It's the flying one made of flame. And not only can it [IMMOLATE], but it [CAN_DO_INTERACTION:MATERIAL_EMISSION] in the form of a fireball. And it is deathly accurate.
What's worse is that it's SMART. It KNOWS that if it proceeds into the corridors then the Gambol Shroud would eventually score a hit and knock it to ash, so I've had to recruit a Hunter into a one-man squad to knock it into oblivion from afar.

So far it has killed four of the Gambol Shroud, a miner and a fisherdwarf.

Sweet fucknuggets I want this motherfucking ember DEAD.

Edit: IT KILLED TORRI IT SHALL DIE

Edit 2: HOW THE FUCK IS THE BOOZE ON FIRE WHY ARE HALF MY DWARVES DEAD?

Edit 3: OH NOW YOU USE DRAGON FIRE BREATH YOU LITTLE ARSEHOLE FLAME

Edit 4: FUCK OFF SPAWN I'M BUSY

Edit 5: DFHACK WHAT DO YOU MEAN THERE ARE NO SKYTHES?  :'(

I've found that blob of fire FBs always stay at the edge of the map for some reason. Bug of some kind, also your dwarves are unable to target it properly or something.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32647 on: January 30, 2014, 09:11:05 am »

Tongsmyth
6th Sandstone, 233

Things I have learned: I think turning invaders off prevents the clown car opening properly. C'MON, MAGMA, COOL ALREADY, I NEED TO SCIENCE

... No. No it does not. Is it because I filled the tube with DFHack...?

Edit, 1st Moonstone: Fuck it, I'm building a 10x10 suicide bridge over the magma tube and making it my only meeting area.

Edit2, 24th Obsidian: I wasn't kidding.

Edit3, 4th Granite 234: Goddamn, that's a lot of purple.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 09:47:56 am by Lielac »

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #32648 on: January 30, 2014, 09:49:24 am »

It was a long trek from the mountainhomes for little Id Dikeworked and her parents. A young girl, the first hairs of her beard just sprouting, Id was the first to spot the coastline that meant that their arduous journey was at an end; they were at a dwarf fortress, and nothing could do them any harm. The sun was just beginning to rise as Id's parents caught up to her, smiles growing on their faces as they took a moment to look out upon the arctic sea to the south. Id let out a squeal of delight as she saw a penguin marching along with its head down, apparently with something in its beak. Id looked up to her mother for permission and received a nod, so she ran up to the darling little bird to introduce herself. "Hi little birdy!" Id said adorably to the bird, but the penguin did not seem to notice her, but simply busied itself with the strange-looking fish in its mouth. Id reached her tiny arm out and gently touched the thing on the head, finally causing it to look up. When it did, Id froze, unable even to retract her arm. The penguin's eyes were both missing. Brain and gore leaked from the empty sockets, which were somehow fixated directly on Id's own eyes. In its mouth was a rotten dwarven hand, missing several fingers and fidgeting in the monster's mouth. Id finally was able to let out a shriek, but no one answered her calls. She looked around her to find nothing but a sea of blood-red snow and undead beasts even more fearsome than the two in front of her. Id died screaming.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #32649 on: January 30, 2014, 10:02:52 am »

Can ghosts unlock doors? I swear a ghost just let two zombies into my bunker while the door was forbidden. I even re-forbade the door after the first zombie got in, and the ghost went and unlocked it again.

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32650 on: January 30, 2014, 10:09:51 am »

It was a long trek from the mountainhomes for little Id Dikeworked and her parents. A young girl, the first hairs of her beard just sprouting, Id was the first to spot the coastline that meant that their arduous journey was at an end; they were at a dwarf fortress, and nothing could do them any harm. The sun was just beginning to rise as Id's parents caught up to her, smiles growing on their faces as they took a moment to look out upon the arctic sea to the south. Id let out a squeal of delight as she saw a penguin marching along with its head down, apparently with something in its beak. Id looked up to her mother for permission and received a nod, so she ran up to the darling little bird to introduce herself. "Hi little birdy!" Id said adorably to the bird, but the penguin did not seem to notice her, but simply busied itself with the strange-looking fish in its mouth. Id reached her tiny arm out and gently touched the thing on the head, finally causing it to look up. When it did, Id froze, unable even to retract her arm. The penguin's eyes were both missing. Brain and gore leaked from the empty sockets, which were somehow fixated directly on Id's own eyes. In its mouth was a rotten dwarven hand, missing several fingers and fidgeting in the monster's mouth. Id finally was able to let out a shriek, but no one answered her calls. She looked around her to find nothing but a sea of blood-red snow and undead beasts even more fearsome than the two in front of her. Id died screaming.
A horrifically satisfying story.
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32651 on: January 30, 2014, 10:14:50 am »

Undead arctic oceans are bundles of Fun.  I love embarking on them for that very reason heh heh.  Great narration!

And yes, "small marine mammal" is very misleading - I looked it up, and harp seals are over twice the size of dwarves: 165000 to a dwarf's 60000.  :o  Don't mess with the seals, man.  (In real life they are 5-6 feet long and 300-400 pounds)

Perhaps I should start an evil ocean fort - just recently got back into playing DF, and my current fort is in some Joyous Wilds tropical dry broadleaf forest since I wanted unicorns and tropical wildlife for once.  Unfortunately I've been playing a mod that removed them for too long and forgot about all the goddamned animal men in savage biomes, so louse men and sparrow men and stupid black mamba men are all I'm getting. (Why can't real black mambas show up, I'd train a huge pit of them)

I think when I get bored of this fort I'm going to edit out all those fuckers in my raws.  They're not trainable or butcherable so they just clog up cage traps.  So useless.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #32652 on: January 30, 2014, 10:59:45 am »

well my message worked. shame it took so long.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32653 on: January 30, 2014, 11:18:31 am »

Yeah, seals are by no means 'small'. There are some smaller species, but I don't think they are ingame.

Been digging out a roof for the larger barracks along the entrance pathway to combat cave adaptation better. Nobody wants an upset militia. Although the great majority of my dwarves are ecstatic.

Anyways, while I was deconstructing the scaffolding I made for putting up walls on the exposed outside, one of my clothiers died of caved in skull and several other dwarves had various injuries. One of my craftsdwarves got VERY VERY lucky when he shattered his skull but no brain injury (though in reality there actually would very well be a serious brain injury).

I shall rejoice the day that dwarves learn construction site safety, though the harder skulls next version should reduce fatalities. Also, they need to learn how to deconstruct hanging staircases without pulling a Wile E Coyote, though I didn't have to do that here.

In other goings on, I got the dodge-me trap to work finally, at least the dodge-me part, still need a siege to test how well the traps lining the bottom work.

Also, some years back, I got annoyed with the caravan wagons appearing on the opposite side of where the wagon only entrance is (my fort is smack in the middle of the embark), so I made wagon accessable points so that caravan wagons from other directions use it, however nobody seems to want to use them even though they get to safety faster through them.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 11:51:28 am by smjjames »

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #32654 on: January 30, 2014, 12:02:01 pm »

everything's coming together dandy. i've been undergoing preparations to destroy the HFS.

so far I only got a few spear traps, but I'm planning GCS cage traps and more.

the captured goblins in this siege will be my "volunteers" for the inevitable siege of hell. but first I have to build a shaft of enlightenment to make sure they're combat ready. when hell is conquered the survivors will be thrown into the magma pits as a sacrifice to Armok.

I finally got to use my crocodile pit, and they're every bit as awesome as I wanted.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.
Pages: 1 ... 2175 2176 [2177] 2178 2179 ... 3842