Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2173 2174 [2175] 2176 2177 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6094259 times)

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #32610 on: January 29, 2014, 07:51:01 pm »

Inspired by Lielac's dragon encounter, Berossus's heroic demon god, and all of the cool structures in A Song of Ice and Fire, I decided to build a fortress now rather than wait for the next release as I planned. I got a neat little world with two surviving megabeasts, both of them female dragons, and quite a few necromancers' towers.

I embarked on a 3x6 tract of land, the northern half being haunted tundra, The Blizzards of Torture, and the southern being The Cavernous Sea, an arctic ocean. According to the world map, both biomes have multiple deep and shallow metals, but no flux. Unfortunately there are no necromancers' towers on the continent north of this patch of tundra, so I guess I'll just have to make due with the undead natives. My long-term goals with this fort are to construct huge structures out of ice mined from the ocean (perhaps melting the ice on the edges of the map to let more water in), hopefully be attacked by a dragon and do something awesome with her, and to become the mountainhome. These are extremely original aspirations, I know.

The RNG gave me the name Wipedboots, which I cannot bring myself to reroll despite kind of wanting a name with "ice" in it. The seven intrepid (there is a fine line between intrepidness and fatal stupidity, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt) dwarves that make up The Bell of Glee are two miner-masons, a furnace operator, an armorer trained in the smithing of both weapons and armor, a farmer, and two quick-to-heal hammerdwarves. Along with standard provisions, The Bell brought with them a kitten (because no military outpost positioned in a nightmarish icy hellscape is complete without a kitten) and as much bituminous coal as they could carry.

The wagon arrived to find ice, snow, a family of harp seals playing to the south, and absolutely nothing else. Checking the coastline, deposits of native copper and native aluminum were visible. Being an aluminum enthusiast, I was very excited by this. I then realized that I had forgotten to bring any wood along, so the miners set to work digging to find the caverns while somebody else made a wooden axe somehow capable of felling trees. I sent the hammerdwarves off to test their mettle and to hopefully bring back some delicious seal meat. I then realized that nobody cares about boring start-of-the-fort stuff and decided to post again if/when anything interesting happens.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32611 on: January 29, 2014, 07:59:24 pm »

Inspired by Lielac's dragon encounter, Berossus's heroic demon god, and all of the cool structures in A Song of Ice and Fire[...]

dON'T REMIND ME -wails-

Laborfords
13th Hematite, 229

Four more FBs down, these ones from the first cavern that have been hanging out down there for a few years. Now all I have to do is get the ones from the third cavern and we will be officially FB-free! Y'know. Temporarily.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32612 on: January 29, 2014, 08:01:33 pm »

The good news is that if my dragons die, they will be reanimated as zombie dragons. I am currently experiencing zombie harp seals. They are as terrifying as you would expect.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32613 on: January 29, 2014, 08:02:29 pm »

I then realized that nobody cares about boring start-of-the-fort stuff and decided to post again if/when anything interesting happens.

I actually like reading the first posts of forts :).  Your fortress definitely sounds like a settlement "beyond the Wall."  Best of luck and I hope you catch a dragon to ward off the cold and the undead!

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32614 on: January 29, 2014, 08:06:36 pm »

The Others in this case are seals.

I can't tell if my miner died to falling into the aquifer right before it froze or if he was the prey of a zombie seal. I think the former since I can't find a corpse anywhere. Also, everything is covered in harmless elf blood.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #32615 on: January 29, 2014, 08:28:57 pm »

Found a pretty sweet spot where a cavern penetrates the surface, and a clown fort lies underneath. Only in my first summer so far, but I have a decent military started and training with bismuth bronze gear and the cavern entrance walled and sealed until I'm ready to enter it. Not sure how I want to incorporate it into my fortress... but the eldritch city in Mountains of Madness is in the back of my head, waiting for the right inspiration.

Too bad I'm not in a tundra or glacier. Maybe its more of a jungle eldritch city-thing.

Oh, and the end of summer reminded me - I'm also between two necro towers. First siege was a pitiful 3 zombies, 2 goblins and a human shambling around. No match for axedwarves.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 08:39:24 pm by Lich180 »

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32616 on: January 29, 2014, 08:42:18 pm »

Found a pretty sweet spot where a cavern penetrates the surface, and a clown fort lies underneath.

Neat, didn't think that was possible!  I can just imagine your dwarves scurrying around to close that up asap.  How far deep are the clowns?

MrsStick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32617 on: January 29, 2014, 08:44:09 pm »

Well, I'm down to 17 dwarves, with 3 of them (3 died) on top of my city walls. The gobbo siege is blocking them from the original staircase, so I built another one they can get to. Instead, they go all the way around the pasture, and go back to their original spot, bypassing the completely available staircase in a corner of the field where they can get to it from two directions. There are also approximately 30 cats there with them, but I don't mind about those.
My hubby got me into DF...then abandoned his for MineCraft.
Husband has been possessed!
I'm sorry your husband had a strange mood and ended up making a useless trinket out of useless materials without gaining any experience in the process.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32618 on: January 29, 2014, 09:19:12 pm »

I know I said I wouldn't write any more, but this is failing pretty spectacularly . Besides, I wouldn't want to deny VerdantSF.

I seem to have underestimated the zombie seals; the rotten corpse of one bit my militia commander's foot off, then bit my other hammerdwarf's hand off. While crawling away to the shelter that was dug into the coast, the militia commander was attacked by yet another zombie seal and had her spine and several other things broken. Her comrade came to her rescue, but then left her lying there, helpless beside the seal corpse just waiting for it to reanimate and bite off the rest of her limbs. Sure enough, it did. She died screaming.

Meanwhile the other dwarves are carrying one plump helmet seed at a time into the burrow, all the while trudging through huge piles of elf blood snow and being accosted by zombie seals. I forbade all of the items besides the three logs from the wagon and sent the new militia commander, "Handy" Anvilpraise, to defend the haulers. Unfortunately, Handy lost his hammer when he lost his hand, so he had to resort to punching the zombie seals to death like the fucking bad ass that he is. He made it back to the wagon and was about to grab his dead ex-commander's hammer off of the ground, when her corpse interrupted him, knocking all of his back teeth out. Knowing no fear, Handy punched the ex-commander back, not stopping until her corpse was sufficiently inanimate. He then claimed her copper warhammer as his own and proceeded to take a nap right there in the snow beside her corpse, content in the knowledge that he is a bestial killing machine.

What Handy's course of action had in awesomeness, it perhaps lacked in wisdom. The dead commander did not remain dead for long, and pounced on Handy as he slept. While he did put up an impressive fight, Handy eventually succumbed to having his brain torn apart. The one-handed soldier was then recruited once again into his commander's service, this time fighting on the side of the undead. The two of them proceeded to chase the three surviving dwarves across the blood-stained frozen wasteland.

Prioritizing the survival of the surviving miner-mason (the other having been encased in the frozen aquifer and earning himself a Darwin Award), I recruited the armorer and furnace operator and ordered them to defend the miner at all costs. This had surprisingly positive consequences, with the armorer throwing Handy's animated corpse a good ten tiles and allowing the miner to retreat safely to the burrow.

The cat, now a grown adult, survived this entire misadventure without a scratch, as did the two pack animals. It is not entirely surprising that they have better survival instincts than all of the dwarves, and she is enjoying a relatively comfortable life, lapping up pools of elf blood and keeping busy hunting the myriad blood gnats.

The three dwarves safely entombed themselves, along with the cat, the camel, and the water buffalo (this is an excellent idea for a sit-com), behind a locked stone door, but, while physically safe, their mental health is understandably poor. The furnace operator soon went berserk and was killed in a fight with the armorer. The armorer repeatedly threw tantrums, alternately tormenting the camel and the water buffalo. Taking stock of the items that were successfully hauled to the bunker before it was sealed, the dwarves have some seeds, a small and rapidly dwindling supply of rum, Handy's copper warhammer, and some bituminous coal. The seeds are planted in a small garden off to the side of the bunker, while the designation is made for a corpse-dumping pit.

Somewhat disturbingly, the armorer has gone from being hopelessly miserable to completely ecstatic after having beaten the furnace operator to death and thrown his clothes around the bunker. The miner on the other hand has returned to a state of perfectly healthy mere unhappiness.

The miner, very understandably prioritizing the need to be inebriated over the need to secure the bunker from the imminent reanimation of the dead furnace operator, sits in the corner with a barrel of rum right up until the pointer where the zombie gets up and charges him. The miner is killed and almost immediately reanimated, whist the three animals and the armorer are chased around the room in a circle. The water buffalo manages to down one of the wights with a defensive kick, but it doesn't stay down for long. The cat, the only thing worth protecting in the whole fortress, is slain in the melee. Giving up any hope of surviving this battle, the armorer unlocks the door and runs, allowing the water buffalo to escape as well before slamming the door behind him and locking it. Horrible noises emanate from the room as the camel kicks at the door and is ripped apart by the zombie dwarves.

Panting and quaking with fear, the sole dwarf sat in the corridor leading from the bunker to the outside with his only companion, a terrified water buffalo. Trying desperately to formulate a strategy that would allow him to escape this hell alive, the Besmar the armorer was set upon by a zombie harp seal. Hoping that the strong but docile water buffalo would kick it to death in fear, the dwarf cowered behind the animal, but to no avail. The buffalo shrieked and ran from the corridor out into the snow, leaving the dwarf trapped with the undead seal. Besmar survived, killing the horrible monster temporarily, but his lower body was torn apart in the fight and he passed out from the extreme pain as he tried to escape the dead seal, who could reanimate and kill him at any moment.

Running out into the tundra, which by this point was absolutely covered with frozen elf blood, Besmar was chased by even more undead abominations, including Handy's disembodied, rotten right hand.

Amazingly, the camel was actually able to kill both of the wights it was imprisoned with, but to get back into the bunker Besmar would have to somehow lose his pursuers and defeat the undead harp seal that had returned to its vigil outside the bunker door after reanimating yet again. Besmar decided it was now or never, and ran to the door, giving Handy's namesake a farewell kick. Right as he reached the door, however, it opened and out walked an animated dwarven corpse. Just beyond the door, the camel had just died, and Besmar was trapped between a dwarf and a seal. The two ripped him to shreds effortlessly and mercilessly. My meager settlement crumbled to its end just as Besmar was indoctrinated into the ranks of his murderers.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 09:21:02 pm by MrWillsauce »

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32619 on: January 29, 2014, 09:24:01 pm »

I know I said I wouldn't write any more, but this is failing pretty spectacularly . Besides, I wouldn't want to deny VerdantSF.

tl;dr

Kidding, reading right now ;).

*Edit* Those zombie seals are vicious!  Makes me think of leopard seals.  Most seals look cute, but NOT leopard seals.  Slap on some zombie make-up and watch out!  That REALLY sucks that Handy didn't survive.  Punching zombie seals to death and reclaiming his commander's war hammer... only to be ambushed in his sleep and returned to her side.  Epic and creepy as hell!

As all horror movies have taught us, animals KNOW.  Sorry to see your fortress go, but sounds like you had fun.  This is one of those fortress deaths that would make a great mini-comic.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 09:32:54 pm by VerdantSF »

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32620 on: January 29, 2014, 09:31:40 pm »

@MrWillsauce: Losing is FUN

Laborfords
5th Limestone, 229

Whoooo wants a Stonesense screenshot?

Spoiler: EVERYBODY!!! (click to show/hide)

Finally getting around to building up my outer wall. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32621 on: January 29, 2014, 09:33:38 pm »

For some reason I thought I was better at this game, but yes that was quite fun.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #32622 on: January 29, 2014, 10:17:11 pm »

Steelstaff got its first real moment of goblin activity. Rather than send in an ambush or more snatchers, the goblins just launch a siege. A squad of mace goblins led by a bowgoblin riding a giant rat named Snodu.

My two squads of crossbow dwarfs were at the fortifications ready to launch a hail of bone bolts on them. As the goblins got closer, I noticed the marksdwarves were starting to walk outside to shoot at them. I, uh, forgot to lock the doors to their pillboxes. I send the hammersquad and the macesquad out to meet the goblins outside so the marksdwarves don't get clobbered.

The hammersquad had been training for several years now, with constant sparring. Several had already become hammerlords, and grown attached to their silver hammers. One of those hammerlords was Sarvesh Handlefountains, who was first on the scene. Sarvesh hadn't seen a whole lot of action since his recruitment. He killed a black bear at one point (during that fight another hammerdwarf got scared to death by a dwarf ghost, the ghost pretty much watched the whole fight), and before he came to the fort he had killed a grizzly bear. Facing off against a bunch of macegoblins on his own, this was his first really real moment of combat. He promptly entered a martial trance and gave the goblins a dwarven welcome. The rest of the melee squads soon joined him.

The siege was repelled with no casualties. The worst injury was a bruise. Sarvesh earned himself the nickname of "the Bear" in honor of his past history, and him being the first dwarf to go into a martial trance, as well as multiple moments of biting goblins and shaking them around like chew toys. Also props to Melbil Toolfern, who proved anything was possible by getting his hammer stuck in a goblin's chest. That's gotta hurt.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32623 on: January 29, 2014, 10:34:52 pm »

HAHAHAHA. I love the combat narration.

Makes me think. I've been getting necromancers who are getting killed by spiked ball traps, and continuously reanimated by their friends. It's a reoccurring cycle of death. Kind of sad when you think about it.   
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32624 on: January 29, 2014, 10:56:43 pm »

Laborfords
20th Moonstone, 229

Welp. I finally ran out of loose blocks. TIME TO START THE MASONS CHURNING AGAIN!

Pages: 1 ... 2173 2174 [2175] 2176 2177 ... 3842