Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2171 2172 [2173] 2174 2175 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6094460 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #32580 on: January 29, 2014, 01:59:58 am »

Laborfords

I still haven't touched this fort since the 27th because I'm mortified at how pathetically I screwed up. Two native-born dwarves are dead, both Abyssink, as well as one of the old migrants from the early years.

Somebody please goad/encourage/mock me into picking it back up again and riding out whatever I have to deal with; it's my oldest fort ever and I don't want it to die because of my anxiety fucking with my head.

Dwarves die, it's what they do, and accidents happen. I just used a patrol route for the first time (successfully I might add! :D) ina community fort and that got four soldiers killed, one of them a claimed dwarf. Not much more can be done except bite the bullet and carry on without them; on the upside if they were only lovers of other dwarves, those dwarves just became a lot more expendable and better candidates for battling the green menace.

fortydayweekend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32581 on: January 29, 2014, 02:15:34 am »

Laborfords

I still haven't touched this fort since the 27th because I'm mortified at how pathetically I screwed up. Two native-born dwarves are dead, both Abyssink, as well as one of the old migrants from the early years.

Somebody please goad/encourage/mock me into picking it back up again and riding out whatever I have to deal with; it's my oldest fort ever and I don't want it to die because of my anxiety fucking with my head.

Seriously, you're thinking of quitting because of 3 dwarves? I lost 3 dwarves just yesterday mixing magma and water. And I don't even know how they died because there's too much bloody steam everywhere. You kept them all alive for over 10 years, that's probably some sort of record, they can't really expect much better than that.

Also, how upset are your dwarves about it? I bet they're all "quite content" at least, even the spouses and the kids. Give 'em a season they'll be ecstatic. They clearly don't care, so why should you?

If that doesn't help, maybe giving them a proper funeral might. Build them the most ridiculously lavish, magma-pooled and waterfall-strewn burial chamber of all time. Make it from solid adamantine and imported platinum studded with emeralds and diamonds. Have it take 10 years to finish. Dedicate your entire fortress's efforts towards it.

Or of course just go back to the last seasonal save and pretend your computer crashed.

Sounds like you're at the "depression" stage of grief anyway so that's good news! Acceptance isn't far off. And the surface, it's probably clean by now right?
The Sea Lamprey bites the Miner in the lower left back teeth and the severed part sails off in an arc!

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32582 on: January 29, 2014, 03:13:25 am »

Laborfords

Don't give up on Laborfords!  You've got a great fort going on.  The losses and tragedies will make the triumphs that much sweeter.

Relicshield, pop. 148, Early Summer of 352 (Year 101)

Following the advice of master chefs Sphalerite and Hurkyl, Relicshield has undergone a culinary renaissance.  Rather than meals consisting of one ingredient, truly lavish meals with separate ingredients have started to appear on the menu. 

The new roasts now consist of a filling (meat, fish, eggs, cheese, or plump helmets), dough (flour or rocknut press cake), cooking liquid (booze), and glaze (dwarven syrup).

« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 04:50:33 am by VerdantSF »

Drecon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32583 on: January 29, 2014, 03:16:01 am »

I embarked on a tile with a Yeti lair.

As I went in there without spending any embark points the only things I have to work with are bone and wood. I made seven bone crossbows and a number of bolts and I intend to have my seven attack the beast.

Any thoughts on my odds? I would hate to lose the fort before the first year.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32584 on: January 29, 2014, 03:17:04 am »

I think they have a good chance.  You've got nothing to lose and it'll make a great start to your fortress if you succeed!

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32585 on: January 29, 2014, 03:40:41 am »

Seven dwarfs against one yeti? Yeah, sounds like pretty good odds. Yetis are big and somewhat aggressive, but not actually huge, and completely unarmoured. You might run into trouble making the killing blow, because as soon as something falls unconscious, it's facepunches all the way, which can be tremendously inefficient against big critters. I don't know if yetis are small enough to be as super-punchable as dwarfs or large enough to be as super-unpunchable as horses (seriously, there's some breakoff point in there where punches to the head drop from 100% deadly to 0%).

Laborfords -  if you actually want to get back into that game, don't brood over the loss but rather think about what you could have done differently (yes, to the degree that you could've let the game run unsupervised without risk) and what you can do for the dead and their families. Nice tombs, yummy cougar roasts, a better wildlife trap, more stationed war animals or bigger citizen militia - there are many consequences you can draw from such a debacle which fit well into the development of your fort and can keep you as overseer busy and interested.

Tomsod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32586 on: January 29, 2014, 06:42:43 am »

So, I have this fairly new fort, haven't even had any migrants, and one of alpacas I embarked with got in a fight with a wild yak. Which mostly resulted in bruises, but she also has had all her teeth bucked off. And now she's starving. Apparently teeth are required for grazing. I feel sorry for this poor creature, doomed to slow death amidst a grass field. I probably should put her out of her misery - I think the bug preventing butchering of dead tame animals still isn't fixed.
EDIT: Actually, scratch that. The animal is only hungry now. I guess it was only a random coincidence that a toothless animal refused to eat grass for a while.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 09:09:25 am by Tomsod »

Berossus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32587 on: January 29, 2014, 08:10:32 am »

New fortress, volcano glacier...

First migrant wave consists of 2 children and 6 adults, all with weapon skills (3).
Great, i will have those as my sqaudleaders and wait for the next wave to assign real jobs.

Next wave, 4 children and 32 adults. All with weapon skills (3).
I think my dwarven civ is a little bit militant....
I could now field 3 full melee squads and an archer batallion, after the second wave.

I NEED WORKERS!
My son, many speak of the honor in war.
My preferred method is to wait until their back is turned, then impale them with a pike held by someone else.
Preferrably from a distance.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #32588 on: January 29, 2014, 08:45:10 am »

Steelstaff just bought most all of the human caravan's food and a bunch of their cloth in exchange for worn out clothing and some high quality copper spiked balls. We are now rolling in food and booze and I intend to start shipping masterwork lavish meals back to caravans starting next caravan so I can get more food to cook and sell back. And eat it too, I guess.

It's almost the 4th year and we're at 110 dwarfs and not even a single ambush has popped up yet. Kinda boring.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32589 on: January 29, 2014, 09:50:06 am »

Renamed all my dorfs into family clans, now I've got to find work for the kids coming of age (got 40 of the buggers.) Busy making them build a windmill farm. Perhaps we'll drain the volcano to build a tunnel to the other side.
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32590 on: January 29, 2014, 11:21:13 am »

Cool, what's the name of the largest family?

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #32591 on: January 29, 2014, 11:42:28 am »

Laborfords

I choose door #3.

Whut?  You lost some dorfs? OH GODS NO!  I've got a fort with what, 15 adults in it after 30 years and I just lost a few to a lack of silk/yarn for moods!  Dorfs are cogs in the machine.  When you care that much about the scruffy little electronic drunks, instead of laughing at their deaths and stupidities, you've brought the wrong mindset to the game.

Sure, invest in the stories the game provides, but I can't see how a few dwarves would make or break your gaming fun.  Just make sure there's a good story for 'em. :P

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32592 on: January 29, 2014, 11:57:07 am »

Autumn 169, Whitemountains

It seems we captured all unicorns in this corner of the world. They don't breed in captivity and can't be tamed, so i wonder if i should perhaps release the three remaining or just process them as well.

The current smithing effort has been finished - 50 each nickel, nickel silver and zinc minecarts. Why? I just happen to need 150 metal minecarts. For reasons. And the only ores i have on site are garnierite and sphalerite, and nickel silver uses those two metals _and_ sits between their weights.

While i was digging out, engraving and designating, a mechanic got a mood, and even a non-possessive one. Neat, i carefully monitored his progress. Of course, he snatched the workshop and instantly ran to get a rhyolite boulder. No can do, buddy - i forbade the crummy stone and after some juggling with an ad-hoc garbage zone, got him to pick up one of the two raw adamantine boulders i kept in reserve. The result was "Basementmists", a raw adamantine mechanisms (sic), adorned with giant bat leather and gold and bearing an image of itself in black bronze. It's been installed in the meeting hall, to serve as master lever for whatever i can come up with. Just making and installing it boosted fortress value by almost four million - the item itself is worth a bit over one and a quarter million, and building it as a lever seems to have added double its value.
(75 dwarfs, 37 of them adult. Bigger work efforts tend to take a while, and no, there are no invaders allowed.)

PS: o yeah, and we have 82 traction benches. Our duchess just loves them and doesn't feel strongly about any other items.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 12:01:34 pm by Larix »

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #32593 on: January 29, 2014, 12:15:16 pm »

Lizardmansions, 126

Fuck it's cold out here. Me beard's as frozen as the bloody river......
Anyways, we dug a hole. With rooms. Then we decided that our best defense would be the wildlife, so we started setting up rigged cages to trap some reindeer. I wonder if I could ride 'em.....
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32594 on: January 29, 2014, 01:17:29 pm »

All right. Thank you Splint, fortydayweekend (although you're wrong, I saw the DFHack happiness counter and there are dwarves all over the happiness spectrum; do not underestimate the ability of 20 years of friendships to induce a tantrum spiral), VerdantSF, and WanderingKid. I'm going in.

-breathes deeply- -cracks knuckles-

Laborfords
7th Hematite, 228

Three dwarves dead, killed by a cougar now given the name Nokgolsuvas. Tosid Abyssink and his mother Bembul Abyssink I, and a clothier named Eral Whiptruths who luckily had no lover. 2 dwarves miserable, 1 very unhappy, 3 unhappy, 9 fine, 40 content, 30 happy, and 56 ecstatic. 141 dwarves in all.

I'm turning on the hunters.

And actually unpausing.

... DUDE I DON'T CARE ABOUT THE F***ING BARONYHOOD.

... but Zon, Matriarch of Utteredinks, doesn't have any items preferences... hell yeah this sounds awesome. Sorry, Minkot, I'd like to really but Zon's more reasonable!

Edit, 10th Hematite: NIGHTY-NIGHT, NOKGOLSUVAS "RIDDLEDLUSTER"! I WON'T MISS YOU!

Okay, now for cleanup.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 01:20:25 pm by Lielac »

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.
Pages: 1 ... 2171 2172 [2173] 2174 2175 ... 3842