Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2170 2171 [2172] 2173 2174 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6094994 times)

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #32565 on: January 28, 2014, 05:15:37 pm »

EDIT: drat, one of my kids is possessed. Not even gathering materials because I have no shells, and my biome doesn't have any shell-bearing critters either. Haven't seen a caravan since the elves two sieges ago. The humans haven't come back since several years ago, when I got sieged as they were leaving and they went beserk in my fortress...

Shell moods are harsh.  Here's one workaround:

Quote from: DF Wiki
If you don't want to add shells to existing creatures, you can enable other materials, like hooves or ivory to be used in strange moods instead of shells. The only effect is that the materials will be available for moods, you won't be able to eg. make shell crafts of them.
In raw/objects/material_template_default.txt look up the material you want to enable, for example [MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:HOOF_TEMPLATE]
Add the [SHELL] to the material
If you wish to apply this change to a game in progress, remember to also alter the copy of material_template_default.txt contained in your saves folder. The change won't affect body parts that are already lying around, but will affect newly created body parts from butchered creatures.

They'll take care of the goblin situation rather quickly if they have swords, spears or axes.

Don't discount hammers.  A copper hammer is cheap and effective (I think it's only 18 embark points).  Once I started embarking with a hammerdwarf, the early game got a lot easier.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 05:19:32 pm by VerdantSF »

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32566 on: January 28, 2014, 05:18:31 pm »

*Oops, consolidating*

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32567 on: January 28, 2014, 05:25:33 pm »

Hammers, maces, mauls, anything blunt really, have a bad habit of glancing off of helmets for me so I tend to stick with what I know for recommendations. Plus they tend to kill faster. A hammer strike may only shatter the skull while a sword or axe strike will often remove the head completely.

MrsStick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32568 on: January 28, 2014, 05:25:50 pm »

I'm working on my danger zone right now. Around my drawbridge (which completes the walls, leaving me very well turtled) I have crossbow/bow/serrated green glass disc weapon traps (but not right in front of its path, as I prefer letting in the trade wagons). Around the stairs down to my fortress I have a mass of stonefall traps. Inside the first underground level, I have bands of alternating weapon traps (non-projectile ones) and upright spear/spikes.

I spent all day Saturday playing (hey, it's my one day off a week) and had sieges that started before other sieges ended. Rather ridiculous. Luckily, I have an underground farm, and aboveground farms/three pastures so I was fine overall, just annoying that I haven't had any liaisons and, thus, no migrants.

Elven caravan came with an ambush that took them all out, along with about 7 of my dwarves. Hooray? 27 dwarves strong...
My hubby got me into DF...then abandoned his for MineCraft.
Husband has been possessed!
I'm sorry your husband had a strange mood and ended up making a useless trinket out of useless materials without gaining any experience in the process.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32569 on: January 28, 2014, 05:43:45 pm »

Hammers, maces, mauls, anything blunt really, have a bad habit of glancing off of helmets for me so I tend to stick with what I know for recommendations. Plus they tend to kill faster. A hammer strike may only shatter the skull while a sword or axe strike will often remove the head completely.

Are you playing with the growth bug fix?  Smaller dwarves cannot fight effectively with blunt weapons.  Fully grown dwarves fight fine with them in my experience.  My best soldier is a macedwarf with over 300 kills.  Fights usually consist of her smashing the legs of an opponent and then crushing their skulls.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32570 on: January 28, 2014, 05:50:52 pm »

Are you playing with the growth bug fix?  Smaller dwarves cannot fight effectively with blunt weapons.  Fully grown dwarves fight fine with them in my experience.  My best soldier is a macedwarf with over 300 kills.  Fights usually consist of her smashing the legs of an opponent and then crushing their skulls.

I am, just for some reason the damned helmets block almost everything my blunt weapon troops throw at a passed out target. Ordinarily I use swordsdwarves but any time I play with necromancers I'm pants-shittingly terrified of heads and arms getting raised during a battle I use mace and hammerdwarves.

Of course maybe it's just white tigermen being big sons of bitches that lets thier lemets block those hits...

Eidre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32571 on: January 28, 2014, 06:37:06 pm »

500+ dwarves??? What the heck kind of computer do you have? My old computer ambles along at 20-30 FPS with 200 dwarves. Haven't tested how far I can go with my new computer though.
Nothing too special; new HP i5 with very little other software installed, and I was barely tolerating 13-20 FPS at that population (one of the reasons I was willing to send out the army against a deadly dust demon instead of just hunkering down and waiting for it to wander off was because I was on the verge of retiring the fort anyway).

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32572 on: January 28, 2014, 10:20:01 pm »

Memory of Doof, fortress founder
ACK, AH'VE UNLOCKED THE- AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH! TROLL IN THE FORTRESS! RUN AWAY! BEAT ON IT! KILL IIIIIIIT!

Autumn of 6
Well, after a very lengthy fight that involved the death of one miner, we've managed to beat the troll to death. This task required 14 dwarves, and about 3 months.

It helps to have a dog in those cases. It can eventually tear the skin and cause the troll to bleed out. IIRC it improves the time from 3 month marathon to a 3 week beatdown.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32573 on: January 28, 2014, 10:45:19 pm »

~Umbralzenith~

Word must have travelled to the other great beasts that we are under the watch of a furious deity, for nothing has appeared except for numerous Snatchers (whom made off with two children total) and several Kobold and Elf thieves, whom the deity-thing hasn't harmed or... modified... or whatever happened to the MegaSpawn.

We have had two artifacts in this, our second year. Fairly useful artifacts, too. A featherwood chair earned it's creator the title of Barrel Lord, a wonderful microcline mechanism who's manufacturer has been given the illustrious title of Mechanema. But the other one, the limestone quern, is unique, not in itself but in its creator. Cysgod, one of our Starting Seven, has begun to glow with an otherworldly power ever since he began collecting the stones for Salulbel Edim Ushesh, and the other of the Seven have begun calling him a "Starting Seven Reborn".

The main wall has been erected in record time, and we now have a trap-laden entrance as well as a smaller sally port just before the traps for caravans to pass through. Lever controls are planned in the near future.

Iron weapons have been created for two squads' worth. Ten maces and ten chainscythes have been forged by Cyfnos, whom shall begin forging armour as soon as possible.

Possibly the greatest feat of teamwork displayed thus far is the Great Clearing, the deforestation of the entire surface in preparation for a grand road for migrants, caravans and nobility to travel into the fortress. This event only came about because the Barrel Lord and Tywyllwch worked double-time to produce training axes by the score, compressing them until they could cleave through the wood they came from.

MrsStick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32574 on: January 28, 2014, 11:37:15 pm »

The human Cil Quihukadi has come! A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.

...seriously?

Also, still no migrants, and operation Kissy-face hasn't gotten me any new marriages. 29 dwarves strong right now.
My hubby got me into DF...then abandoned his for MineCraft.
Husband has been possessed!
I'm sorry your husband had a strange mood and ended up making a useless trinket out of useless materials without gaining any experience in the process.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32575 on: January 28, 2014, 11:53:45 pm »

~Umbralzenith~

The Great Clearing, in retrospect, may have been a bad idea...
An elven ambush, with ten bowelves and five swordselves, arrived and managed to slay several war dogs and grievously wound one of our Rangers.

Vengeance shall be swift and bloody, but not as variant or ballistic as I would like.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32576 on: January 28, 2014, 11:56:51 pm »

The human Cil Quihukadi has come! A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.

...seriously?

Werecreature who came at the wrong phase of the moon.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #32577 on: January 29, 2014, 01:07:45 am »

Managed to kill a forgotten beast without internal organs made out of gemstone. That was fun. It happened to have a breath weapon of "noxious dust" which, y'know, i didn't figure to be a big deal. Until after the creature had been killed.

It seems that it left residue everywhere it went (and it pretty much trampled through my entire gods-be-forsaken fortress), this residue causes necrosis. So all of my dwarves are having their feet rot off, and many dwarves are having other parts of them rot off. It soaks into clothes and stays there, and then the tissue underneath the clothes get's effected by this substance. I had three doctors and even with them all constantly surgically removing tissue from my dwarves i cannot keep up with what has become a permanant issue within the fortress.
I guess maybe i could drain one of my ponds in a controlled way and try to wash away as much of the stuff as i can?

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #32578 on: January 29, 2014, 01:09:13 am »

...seriously?

Werecreature who came at the wrong phase of the moon.

I find it hilarious that upon "were-creature attack" you have only a 1/30 chance of facing the real deal XD

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32579 on: January 29, 2014, 01:54:02 am »

Laborfords

I still haven't touched this fort since the 27th because I'm mortified at how pathetically I screwed up. Two native-born dwarves are dead, both Abyssink, as well as one of the old migrants from the early years.

Somebody please goad/encourage/mock me into picking it back up again and riding out whatever I have to deal with; it's my oldest fort ever and I don't want it to die because of my anxiety fucking with my head.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.
Pages: 1 ... 2170 2171 [2172] 2173 2174 ... 3842