Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2040 2041 [2042] 2043 2044 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6095333 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #30615 on: August 23, 2013, 02:11:43 pm »

Two of the wagons broke and they left lots of stuff behind at the depot. Also, the vultures are bing annoying as f**k as usual and I have set a kill on sight order on the vultures.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30616 on: August 23, 2013, 10:19:06 pm »

The wood elves came and I sold off a bundle of surplus goods for breeding pairs of dragon raptors, nightweavers, and regular raptors. Then the frog men came, and the north and west gates sealed to pull them into a semi-prepared killzone where the recruits opened fire from above. Being rookies in the art of shootiness and using sup-par salvaged weaponry for the most part, most of their shots were ineffective, but two were knocked unconscious by pain when a rusty bolt punctured a frogman's lung and a copper bolt jammed itself in another's calf. Most of this initial attack have been slain, but not before a desperate mace swing killed one of the bladesdorfs, Iton Nourishedshingle. Shame, since he had a neat title of The Helmed Silks of Shredding. Shame his kill count was only 5 (enough for the title.)

Some superficial wounds were incurred thanks to a damned spearmaster that was able to block both dwarves attacking him at once but a marksdwarf put two bolts in him and without his right leg working or his shield he went down like a bitch. Torn skin and bruises for the most part and the broker got scared shitless and nearly caught by macefrogs; the commander needs some stitches in his shin, but thankfully it wasn't anything permanent.

Oh, and we've made first contact with the Automatons, a sharpshooter model snatcher. A prototype unit was also sighted but that bastard escaped thanks to the frogmen distracting Commander Asmel, who spotted it. There's still frogmen out there, so we'll need to wait until the other squad is ready and the commander gets stitched up.

mek42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30617 on: August 23, 2013, 11:43:07 pm »

I learned something during my current fort first siege.  A master miner stuck outside on his own is much more effective at staying alive then the two ten dwarf squads I sent to kill gobbos and rescue him. 

Maybe I should have one reaction squad barracks near my main entrance, put in people with military skills and then pairnew recruits for faster training.
"Is that the game with the blinky characters and no pictures?  Maybe you do have Asperger's." - My wife after I mentioned my excitement over the elves bringing by caravan a whole bunch of wood after my deforestation project was neglected due to a near-tantrum spiral and total loss of my initial seven and a bunch of immigrants.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30618 on: August 24, 2013, 12:27:35 am »

Earlier today:

Conibo the Forgotten Beast has come!! It is a towering quadruped composed of steam, it has a square shell and undulates rythmically.

I almost imagine that the shell is on top with a spherical body underneath and four legs that probably look like tornadoes made of steam and undulate.

I don't know what kind of attack it has besides a physical attack, if any, but since it's composed of steam, a squad of marksdwarves should take it out in a hail of bolts, easily.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30619 on: August 24, 2013, 12:49:17 am »

Salt quadruped arrived and was dispatched and two recruits were injured in the previous siege (broken ribs and arm  for the respective pair.) Oh and another bladesdorf got a broken leg that I didn't notice.

And I learned that joining guilds/military orders results in pants theft.

EDIT: And now this.

That poor goblin was riding a giant beetle at the time, so I imagined the dragon raptor jumped on the beetle, smashed it into the ground, headlocked the greenskin and threw him off his mount via bodyslam as his neck snapped like a twig. It earned the name Oskuula, Fallshielded, from the goblins still alive for snapping their commander's neck and flinging him into the river.

I just... Ive actually never seen a neck snap in DF, and that's not for a lack of trying either. And for some reason makes me want to have playable raptormen with a few castes.

EDIT II: And now the same dragon raptor has begun beating a goblin with it's own bow. Scratch that, he actually managed to beat the goblin to death with his own bow.

EDIT III: The hero of the two ranged goblin squads ambush.

To have earned such a title means of the 13 goblins that attacked, this badass death spider killed five of them at least. And this was after it got shot twice. Fittingly badass and if I can't breed them, then damn it I will make them breedable because this BAMF is clearly of a superior sort compared to the other nightweaver a bladesdorf killed and the untitled one we have.

To recover these animals, who have all served the fortress proudly and gained either a title or in one case flat out claimed a trophy it used to bludgeon the original owner to death with, I have built a seperate bridge simply so I won't accidentally smash them with the draw bridge.

A human hammerguard died and a smith took an arrow to the chest but she'll make a full recovery because the arrow missed anything vital.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #30620 on: August 24, 2013, 06:02:48 am »

an elven caravan got ambushed during a siege. i thought if i let a part of the caravan through it might still trade with me.

nope. i took out my rage on the goblins.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

_Ivan_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30621 on: August 24, 2013, 07:10:00 am »

Just had a dwarven caravan meet head to head with a human caravan in my depot. A couple scuttled right there but the majority of them fell to the goblin siege that ran up behind them. It's a mess outside but the gates will remain closed for a while unless a ghost appears quicker than expected.

Restarted planting my farms because I'm down to 3500 plants and booze is low again. They will stop when plants are up to 15k.

Dragon and hydra breeding is slow but steady. Once you realize the female has to be 'eggless' before she can lay a fertilized egg things start to work. Dump all the eggs they lay until they stop and wander the pen for a while. She will snuggle with a male and lay a good egg soon after. The deed must be done before the egg is lain.

An artifact cage was created recently so that was put in as the zoo. It's slowly filling with a number of likeable vermin and gives many good thoughts.

The kennels are bringing in mostly lizards and hamsters which are sent to the butcher but the odd likeable will be put into the zoo. Things are slow and I've just started a vermin zoo so I have hopes of a wide variety of specimens for the dwarves to look at.

Three butcher shops have been built with four tanners next to them. At last count there was over 650 animals and 20-30 had already been butchered. Leather will be flowing in steadily and with so many different types of animals breeding in their own separate pens I don't think I will have to stop to wait for them to rebuild their numbers.

The last batch of steel is halfway done and will be turned into 600 steel mail shirts. With this I have a full steel set for every dwarf in the fort.

A forgotten beast was just slain while I wrote this. Yay! Nobody in the hospital but the report shows a pet dog was badly wounded. There are about 15 more down there but only flyers can get in and they meet a hail of crossbow fire when they do. All dwarves carry a crossbow.

Still searching for the totem of that titan one-eyed ass that attacked us earlier. I have to put that on display somewhere.

morlicar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30622 on: August 24, 2013, 07:20:05 am »

Rigothkilrud, "Craftbronze"  6th Moonstone

Blood and shale!  Kol Kodstakud was found drained o' blood today!  We've had no migrants so no suspects...until we remembered that the humans sent a diplomat this season and he's still hangin' around.  Sure enough, overs'r says he's a vampire. 

In less unpleasant news, we've had several spirits visit and inflame the creativity of our workers; but their works, while lovely, are mostly decorative with no interesting historical tidbits.   

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30623 on: August 24, 2013, 10:37:26 am »

While I was finishing the second cavern layers FB marksdwarf kill zone (which in hindsight, I could have put it up a few more z levels) and the marksdwarves were below it waiting to kill the steam based FB that was nearby, another forgotten beast showed up. No shell from the steam based FB though, dang, though I guess the shell was made of steam as well.

Ozob has come! A skinless lizard with a long swinging trunk, it belches and croaks, beware it's poisonous gas!

*ozob attacks an amphibian man*

*week long battle, during which it's trunk gets whacked off somehow and it's toes get pulped, consisting of the amphibian man trying to beat the FB to a pulp with a blowgun and the FB breathing its gas*

*ozob finally kills the amphibian man, kills the rest of the tribe and some dogs that were down there*

I didn't see the full effects of the syndrome, but it initially causes numbness, then after a while the amphibian man got drowsy and then very drowsy. I don't know whether it would just make dwarves exposed to it sleep more or send them into a sleep that they never wake up from.

I have no plans on exposing my dwarves to that stuff, so I'm building a cavein trap which should definetly kill it, hopefully.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30624 on: August 24, 2013, 11:37:19 am »

My engraver is a bit egotistical. Everything he engraves is a picture of him engraving a cool picture he engraved once.

The king lost most of his lords for making demands that I couldn't reasonably accommodate.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #30625 on: August 24, 2013, 05:10:12 pm »

Having fun with a cobald fortress, terrormines.  One of the babies grew into a child, and immediately grabbed a crossbow and went hunting. Apparently this is due to cobalds having innate archery skill. Spring, being her name, is now and expert crossbowman and professional archer at the ripe old age of one. She's still weak and skinny, but shes taken down 12 beasts hunting outside. I'm going to have to reel her in at some point to avoid her being killed in an ambush.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30626 on: August 24, 2013, 06:16:30 pm »

Started a new fort. Hoping to finally make a functional drowning trap entrance. Quick survey of starting sevens' gods gave me this gem:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Might make purely aesthetic (after all, what use do these dwarves have for scholarship?) shrines to him, assuming FUN doesn't arrive too quickly. Also got a god of family, statues should make a good decoration for married worshippers bedrooms.
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

edgefigaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30627 on: August 24, 2013, 06:57:25 pm »

While I was finishing the second cavern layers FB marksdwarf kill zone (which in hindsight, I could have put it up a few more z levels) and the marksdwarves were below it waiting to kill the steam based FB that was nearby, another forgotten beast showed up. No shell from the steam based FB though, dang, though I guess the shell was made of steam as well.

Ozob has come! A skinless lizard with a long swinging trunk, it belches and croaks, beware it's poisonous gas!

*ozob attacks an amphibian man*

*week long battle, during which it's trunk gets whacked off somehow and it's toes get pulped, consisting of the amphibian man trying to beat the FB to a pulp with a blowgun and the FB breathing its gas*

*ozob finally kills the amphibian man, kills the rest of the tribe and some dogs that were down there*

I didn't see the full effects of the syndrome, but it initially causes numbness, then after a while the amphibian man got drowsy and then very drowsy. I don't know whether it would just make dwarves exposed to it sleep more or send them into a sleep that they never wake up from.

I have no plans on exposing my dwarves to that stuff, so I'm building a cavein trap which should definetly kill it, hopefully.
Drowsey syndromes are generally non-hazardous, and one of the more forgiving syndromes to be cursed with. It makes otherwise sleepless animals (like cats) go to sleep, and if you have a vampire, they will eat your sleeping cats.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30628 on: August 24, 2013, 07:21:08 pm »

I have a fort of death and blood. Currently at 70 population, the half-life of a dwarf (no matter who they are) is between 4 and 5 years (about 100 dead dwarves so far). Causes of death include one of the many ambushes, FBs, being killed by normal fortress functions (cave-in or traps), or going insane because half the people they knew are dead. As far as I know, all the starting seven are dead. All the nobles have been replaced over time because the original ones died. Migrants are starting to be hesitant to come here.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #30629 on: August 24, 2013, 07:48:44 pm »

Forgot where I was in any of my forts, so genned a new world, a pocket world just for fun.
It got the name "The Dimensions of Soul". It stopped during the "Marsh-Titan Age", year 125.
Basically, the world is a mountain range, surrounded by swamp, surrounded by ocean. Some forests to the south, and a goblin fortress, but nothing really noteworthy. I'm going to try and conquer the caverns once and for all, even if it kills me!

Edit:...Or, I might be trying to fend of zombie unicorns, for shits and giggles. In my northwest corner is a spot with joyous wilds right next to a terrifying biome.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 07:52:50 pm by flabort »
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.
Pages: 1 ... 2040 2041 [2042] 2043 2044 ... 3842