Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1987 1988 [1989] 1990 1991 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6095352 times)

Bludulukus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #29820 on: June 27, 2013, 11:57:43 pm »

Rakust Boatstrusted the East Nights, my favorite axedwarf with 30 confirmed kills fell to a barrage of silver arrows by kobold bowmen(op), but not before tearing apart the 5 melee kobolds, buying enough time for the civilians to rush back inside the fort.

Fortressbowel the Decent Palisade owes a great debt to Rakust.

Oh and yet another dumbass kid gets crushed by the trash compactor because of their tiresome habit of chasing around her parent when he goes to pull the lever. I should change the position of that lever, maybe.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 12:33:08 am by Bludulukus »

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29821 on: June 28, 2013, 09:22:46 am »

Well I just discovered the big project I have been working on was all for nothing, because turns out trees can only be planted above ground.

All the flooding, all the mud and horror.
All for naught.

Well I guess in five seasons I can have steel though :P
Once you breach the caverns you'll find cavern trees growing in all soil layers and muddied tiles.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29822 on: June 28, 2013, 03:16:34 pm »

Relicshield, pop. 141, Winter of 309 (Year 58)

The duchy's miners and masons have been hard at work walling off the second cavern when Dusak the Murky Blisters, a forgotten beast of filth and grime, attacked.  It breathed great globs of frozen spittle, but the legendary soldiers of Relicshield blocked or dodged each shot.  The axedwarf, Cog Slingriddles, landed the killing blow, joining Goden II as a slayer of forgotten beasts.  Though the monster was vanquished, other dangers made their mark.

A chance wild fire caught one miner, Geshud Graniteright, who perished before anyone could reach him :(.  Fire snake vermin from the nearby magma pool were the most likely culprits.  A new route to the cavern's edge was mined out, giving the pool a wide berth.

Meanwhile, near the surface, more dwarves fell into strange moods.  Atis Anguishedpages died of dehydration when unable to complete her construction and the same fate seemed likely for Ilral Treerooms.  Fortunately, simple advice from Laularukyrumo, a visiting scholar from the Mountainhome, helped avoid further tragedy.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 04:10:42 pm by VerdantSF »

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29823 on: June 28, 2013, 05:10:31 pm »

Wounddrinks is progressing smoothly. I am currently in the autumn of the first year, and have already received to waves of migrants leaving the population at 22 dwarves total. Progress on carving out a proper fortress is going as well as can be expected with only two miners. They are close to finished on carving out a space for the workshops and stockpiles. Once that is done I'll start making a proper dining hall and make a dormitory that is actually connected to the fort. Also I'm about to start some small scale metalsmithing. Two of my migrants have some weapon and armor experience, so they got me thinking of starting up a small militia. At the very least I'll make some picks so I can have more miners.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29824 on: June 28, 2013, 06:00:31 pm »

Gah, this clockmaking thing is addictive. I looked into short derailer-cell loops and some of those get pretty weird - a cart can be sent to the next cell with such high speeds that it either exits without doing a single lap - in less than ten ticks - _or_ reaches derail speed on the top level and jumps over the down ramp, slamming into the wall. And it will take about 350 ticks (!!) to leave a cell after a collision. In some even weirder cases, such differing events _alternate_ on subsequent loops - i had a two-derailer loop that alternates 95 and 84 ticks for a full cycle and then one cell gums up and takes extremely long to output it, bringing that round to a whopping 220. A single-pass pressure plate would be held down constantly for the five quick rounds and only release and re-activate on the sixth. So i thought, if slamming into the wall causes such a slowdown, how slow can it go - can we make it so the cart hits the wall in _every_ cell?

Of course we can, and the times are somewhat tunable, so, ladies and gentledwarfs, we have a winner:

Two derailers which bounce the cart back and forth between them.
But how comes it keeps hitting the wall?

That's thanks to the connections between the two: the cart exiting the southern cell is sent right up the 'middle' ramp of the northern cell and vice versa. With the medium-friction track stop, the transit time between cells is increased by one tick. And that one tick brings the total cycling time to

720 (seven hundred and twenty) ticks. For one round. 60% of a dwarf day or 1/560th of a dwarf year.

The downside of this number is that it doesn't divide gracefully into other time units - five rounds equal three days, but since a month has 28 days, we only get a precise division for seasons (140 rounds per season).  Nonetheless, this offers the potential for a tick-exact clock.

By the way, i arrived at these results at building testing rigs and fudging the paths repeatedly. This array was arrived at by the fourth completed setup in this nook of my testing grounds (using minecart route #30):

Edit: This wall-slammer is _very_ speed-sensitive: a minecart emerging from a cell can have enough speed for this effect, and after one track corner and a medium-friction track stop, it's still fast enough, but only barely. Three track stops on a transit course or two additional track corners slow the cart down enough that it can't properly jump any more. So, no, a single derailer can't feed itself a wall-slamming minecart.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 06:30:23 pm by Larix »

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #29825 on: June 28, 2013, 11:06:51 pm »

Trying to get back into DF while giving Masterwork DF another shot.

The dwarven fortress of Bassprairie had a simple goal: settle in the caverns and build most of the fortress within those layers and muck around and junk. Nothing really specific.

So things were going pretty well, the dwarves struck the caverns and started moving stuff down. At first there was little activity in the caves, only bats getting themselves stuck in webs and rotting all over the place, as well as an occasional pack of slimes, but the slimes never approached the camp.

Towards the end of spring though a troll decided to come gallivanting down right into the midst of the camp and cause some mayhem. The dwarves ran away and avoided the troll, and the troll avoided them. now if we could keep such a peaceful agreement, then maybe the troll would wander off again and leave the dwarves in peace.

...and that's when one of the badgerdogs decided it'd be a perfect time to nip at the troll's ankles. One, two, three, the badgerdog's dead. There goes the only male we had. The troll starts chasing a miner and I have to draft the woodcutter and sic her on the troll. She takes off, chasing the troll for some distance, occasionally wailing on it with her fists after she dropped the chopping axe in her dwarven wisdom. After a while I cancel the orders, and the troll wanders back and gets into the bedrooms, where it's content to run in place for a month.

After a while a cat wanders in and the troll stomps it. A miner comes to collect the body and the troll stomps him too. You can see where this is going. lots of cancellation spam and dwarves trying to steal the troll's new dwarf sized socks.

Eventually a miner decides they've had enuff of Beachsplit's shit and bisects it with one swing of a copper pick, but the damage is done. A badgerdog, cat, and one of the dwarves are dead, miasma is spewing all over the caverns, and a tantrum spiral seems to be brewing, and I've lost interest in trying to build in the caverns and will let the surviving dwarves run themselves to ruin for the luls.

Just another day of Dwarf Fortress, everybody.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Bludulukus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29826 on: June 29, 2013, 12:34:42 am »

Smursong, The Fondled Scourge has been dealt yet another stinging defeat during Kustroetosp the Ignited Siege. The troll squad ran forth only to be captured by cages and the goblin squads were baited into advancing by an unforbidden wooden door until they stood on top of a granite bridge, which was promptly raised and lowered several times.

The broken bodies of the goblins were sent crashing into walls or atomized under the relentless weight of the bridge as some ignorant peasant in the grand dining hall pulled the lever with malicious glee. The survivors, most of them with broken spines were then set upon by the Fortressbowel military with murderous abandon.

Engravings have been commissioned.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29827 on: June 29, 2013, 12:55:45 am »

Haha, awesome engraving!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29828 on: June 29, 2013, 12:59:48 pm »

Cursedmine has had it's first cases of "Justice" in the form of several workers and militia being sentenced to 76 days in jail apiece due to an export violation from the mayor. Joke's on him though, because we have neither a jail or anyone to carry out the sentence.

Also a hunter tried to stem the cave beetle tide but instead only killed one, wasted a mess of ammo, got blasted with stink juice, and had her hand chewed on.

We have also begun mass aluminum production, thanks to finally getting a crucible built, which coincided with a perfect chrysoprase. Back to aluminum, I do believe this Fortress will eventually become well known not for its bone goods, but a flood of things made from that coveted lightweight silvery gray metal, called aluminum.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29829 on: June 29, 2013, 01:17:11 pm »

Relicshield, pop. 139, Autumn of 310 (Year 59)

The duchy's largest wall thus far was completed, far below in the second cavern.  13 across and 25 high, the construction went without a hitch.  Fighting sometimes took place in the scaffolding far above the cavern floor, where dodging the wrong way could lead to a fatal fall.  The soldiers performed beyond expectation, and not a single life was lost blocking this portion of the second cavern. 

Soon after the wall was completed, two forgotten beasts were discovered at the same time on a cliffside near the top of the massive cavern.

The Forgotten Beast Bekor has come!  A huge eyeless viper.  It has large mandibles and it squirms and fidgets.  Beware its poisonous bite!

The Forgotten Beast Egngun has come!  An enormous quadruped composed of mud.  It has wings and it undulates rhythmically.  Beware its poisonous gas!

Bekor was slain by the speardwarf Logem Chanceblockades, but Egngun was far more dangerous.  Rather than a face-to-monstrous face confrontation, the miner Nish Anguishedpages volunteered to lure the creature into a trap.  She dug a small tunnel to free the beast, though she underestimated just how fast it was.  The mud monstrosity was suddenly right in front of her.  She took off running just as it reared back and blew a torrent of poisonous gas.  The foul vapors barely missed her as she raced off with the forgotten beast hot on her heels.  She stumbled past the massive pillar holding a section of the cavern above, then ran up the stairs, all while just avoiding blast after blast of fetid breath.  The massive hatch slammed shut, blocking the beast below, then the nearby lever was pulled, crushing the monster under tons of stone.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 01:19:52 pm by VerdantSF »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29830 on: June 29, 2013, 02:31:21 pm »

Beakwolves decided to stop by. Just in time to, as Obok's team has just returned to combat capacity. I fully expect this state to end shortly due to the bitey nature of the beakwolf.

Since they have plague bearers backing them up though, I think it may be time to figure out where I put the main gate controls.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #29831 on: June 29, 2013, 02:34:04 pm »

The Wealthy Bridge (go go RNG) has recently started to install the apartment complex to get bedrooms and furniture to the majority of the dorfs, having done a 5x5 embark for the fun of it.  Having restricted the pop cap to 60 and being in our 3rd year, we're not doing too badly at the moment.

Goblins have snatched four babies out of the hands of my woodcutter/fishermen and hunters arms.  They can't get into the fort, as the entire citizenry is armed and there's 4 war dogs tethered at the gate, but they punch the baby in the fields, snatch it from mom, stuff it in a bag, and then proceed to run like little girls.  I'm going to track those nasty little fegs down one of these days.

Our newly minted mason is currently producing absolute trash furniture when I'm trying to get a legendary dining room going.  The other three just keep getting distracted so I promoted a fourth from the hauler's union.  Due to this, I've built an atom smasher.  This leads to the next conundrum.

During a massive dump fest I realized I left the atom smasher down, so I sent someone to yank the lever.  Now, my atom smasher dumps from above... and managed to fling a few objects at one of my dorfs.  He's currently lying there with a broken leg while the entire fort has ignored him for over a month moving items to the depot for trading or dumping stuff constantly walking right past him.  This poor guy is in a world of hurt.  My hospital doesn't have traction benches yet so that's probably the problem.  I've just commissioned a few.

We've been ambushed twice and a massive run of coffins were finally built to contain our dead.  I had more babies haunting my dorfs than I knew what to do with.  Gods these guys are seriously happy tangling beards.  Now I've had an overrun of coffins but that's probably for the best.

Barracks were setup with an archery range in there, and I'm still trying to get these buggers to use it more often.  Apparently my militia captain has died, too, during one of the raids.  I don't have much in terms of troops though.  One full marksdwarf unit, another one with two dorfs to cycle trainees through for the main unit for loss replacement, and a half-hearted melee unit for the hammerer that never trains.

The mist generator/enforced bathing area is currently covered in goblin blood.  I guess it's a good thing I got that installed.

Our outer walls are semi-complete.  The fort has walled off an outdoor farming area containing nearly all the local growables, another area for our milking/shearing industry with sheep and alpacas, and a small area containing Cavies and Rabbits that hopefully will learn to breed like their name sakes and get my leather industry going.  I've also recently gotten pigs and will eventually install an indoor farm for them.  The Turkeys right now keep me well stocked in food, but not leather.  Ducks and Peahens were recently added to the nestbox farm.

A new shaft was drilled outside the walls to find the first cavern and release spoors so I could eventually bring the grazers indoors if necessary.  It's actually pretty close to the surface, but I didn't see anything down there to hunt/fear before I sealed the shaft with floors and a single up stairway.

Our industries are pretty strong.  Clothing is being made as masterwork and a millstone for dyes has a shaft drilled from the surface from a windmill.  Our bonecarver produces amazing crafting goods after creating an early artifact and has kept us afloat for wave after wave of merchants, recently being supplemented by worn clothing and trying to dump off a bunch of the prepared food that my cook makes.  We have a bit of an imbalance there, with over 2500 prepared food options, and a mere 750 alcohol.  My carpenter produces masterwork goods at whim though, so he's prepared a series of armor stands and weapon racks for my nobles just to 'bump' the rooms when they whine a bit.  A new engraver has been commissioned to support the old one.  We're still smoothing the new bedroom apartment complex so he should have time to skill a bit before the engraving starts.

There is no coke or ligamite on this embark.  I chose a site with 3 biomes and none, anywhere.  Plenty of iron and trees though.  The magma sea is going to become important soon however.  I wanted my industries in place before I open up the pop cap back to 200, and a good amount of armor/weapons available.  I've asked the dwarven liason to bring back coke to me, and he brought *2*.  Cheap feg.  I'll up that priority next time we meet.

... and I'm rambling. The fort is mostly stable, as long as I can hold off the tantrum spirals from lost babies (I cut the baby pop down to 15:100 before I started and they're still partially rabbit breeding).  I'm getting yearly ambushes from the goblins at ~2 units/wave.  If I can get my leather industry up and some more dogs to breed to assign to the baby carrying outdoorsy types, that'll help tremendously, it's just taking forever.

Oh, and my dumb ass mayor demanded something and I didn't notice, so now the hammerer has to go beat someone.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29832 on: June 29, 2013, 02:36:55 pm »

Not a whole lot today.

I got suckered into "Family discount computer miracle" duty this weekend.

I wait while the isolated, malware infested, and who-knows-what's-been-done-to-it hard drive from the victi--Erm.. "Patient" gets a good malware scrubbing on a linux machine. (it came from a windows box.)

Making sure that the recovery partitions are healthy and uncontaminated before extracting all the personal data to a safe place, then nuking from orbit.

For some reason, simple, ordinary malware just isnt popular anymore these days. EVERYONE has to make and use rootkits these days, and the only way to be sure with those is to nuke from orbit.  I miss the old days. Can I haz PE infectorz back?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29833 on: June 29, 2013, 02:47:56 pm »

The blind luck of a Speargolem being brought with migrants and unowned is turning out to be a great thing. Already it has slain three plague bearers while the rangers and Sergeant Obok's dwarves get int position to face off against the beakwolves.

All hail Timetongs, the Brass Defender of Cursedmine!

EDIT: Make that Timetongs, the Inky Morality, slayer of an entire group of the dark god Nurgle's cretins.

I am sure that it will be remembered in great legends, as a silent brass destroyer, and beloved guardian of its fortress.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29834 on: June 29, 2013, 03:07:28 pm »

Wounddrinks has entered its second year, and progress is going smoothly. Nothing too exciting has happened. A migrant wave brought the population up to 50, and some walls have been erect around the entrance to the fort and a pasture for the grazers the migrants bring with them. These are temporary, and will be expanded upon later. A dorm and a dining hall of been carved out, so the fort is more or less does not have to go outside, except to trade. The highlights of the fort so far are the two artifacts that were created recently.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The Horn of Drums was made by a migrant armorsmith. It's priced at 18000 urists. Nothing too fancy, but it net me a legendary armorsmith, so I'm happy.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The Red Strangeness was crafted by a miner. It apparently made him a legendary miner, as he isn't legendary at anything else. Anyway, it's worth 38400 urists and will look good in the future barracks.

I've also noticed some bee colonies in the surrounding wilderness. Maybe I ought to give beekeeping a shot.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 03:09:00 pm by Diablous »
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Pages: 1 ... 1987 1988 [1989] 1990 1991 ... 3842