Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1805 1806 [1807] 1808 1809 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6121374 times)

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #27090 on: December 26, 2012, 12:45:11 pm »

My ADOS kicked in again, made a new fort in a temperate/tropical savanna, good amount of space, aquifer for power, clown fort... garnerite and sphalerite are the only ores on the map (besides candy, about 2k here) so I'm glad I brought some stuff for bronze gear. Took my usual embark of 3 military, a carpenter, mason, farmer, and smith. Sand is present too, so I can at least get some easy serrated blades and cages.

The military is working on terraforming the hills to better suit a defensive position, bridges built from native wood across the remaining, unremovable ramps, while the farmer and carpenter alternate between harvesting more lumber, making a small hut to sleep in, and gathering what plants they can find. The smith meanwhile is making as much coke as he can, and as many bronze bars as possible before he dedicates his time to making the first sets of armor and weapons for the military. By then the hills should be done, and the military can start training.

Just have to figure out how I'm going to design this fort... probably gonna spend half a day designating the place to be dug out the way I want it. Need multiple z-levels for each actual floor, because I want mist generators, wells, plumbing, and such. Military will also need a separate area to train, and will have a Coinstar room to massage them after a hard day of sparring. Probably stick them in an aboveground building, but that remains to be seen... must get through the 4 layer aquifer first.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27091 on: December 26, 2012, 10:54:14 pm »

Yeah, it uses the sword skill in melee.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #27092 on: December 27, 2012, 02:47:46 pm »

Just murdered the elven and cobald merchants because I forgot to trade with them and decided I wanted their stuff. Lot less idlers now that everybody has something to haul. Militia got a wee bit of experience out of it. They ahd a lot of animals, so I'll have to go through and butcher everything I don't want.

In other news, the brewers couldn't keep up with the demand for booze with just two stills, so now they have four. Plant stocks are enormous, so barrels are the limiting factor there, now. Still trying to come up with a reliable, efficient way to handle stone transportation.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #27093 on: December 27, 2012, 07:01:48 pm »

Created a new world, started a new fort. Just discovered that both my miners are female, and have dubbed them the "chicks with picks".

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27094 on: December 27, 2012, 07:57:16 pm »

Damned buzzards, they keep invading my fledgling fort and trying to steal stuff.

Thankfully I got a migrant who is a great marksdwarf, and has around 350 kills under his belt, most of which are elves, with a few giant bears mixed in. He and another migrant are the first of many marksdwarves, and 3 of the starting seven are sworddwarves. They all have bronze gear, with leather cloaks and hoods, and are having a blast chasing buzzards down and tearing them into bits.

These particular buzzards happen to be cannibals, for the like to steal buzzard meat from the bait pile food stockpile outside. Oh, and rhesus macaques also think it is funny to rob my trade depot... Like our swords and bolts don't have enough to do already.

Elves brought ONE stack of sun berries, and a buzzard stole them. ARGH!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 08:35:31 pm by Lich180 »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27095 on: December 27, 2012, 08:14:42 pm »

Still trying to come up with a reliable, efficient way to handle stone transportation.
Generally I make a small stockpile with the desired stone types and then copy that stockpile using DFHack. Dwarves will wheel the stone around as quickly as they carried it before the hauling update. As for the finished stone items, light objects such as pots can be made where the stone is and then transported by hand. It's probably not worth setting up a track to transport these items.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #27096 on: December 28, 2012, 02:51:47 pm »

The fort I started in my last post is called erithasiz, "Laborflashes". The upper layers are pure metaphorical gold for my dorfs: veins of tetrahedrite, galena, both kinds of coal, and spots of magnetite, all embedded in a crust of limestone, kaolinite and fire clay. Farther down, the limestone becomes marble, mica, and diorite, streaked with cobaltite and sphalerite and dotted with pockets of gems. The weather is warm-ish, and the cats are not wanting for palmetto bugs and badgerfolk to chase.

One of the Chicks With Picks has become legendary for her digging prowess, while a moody fisherdwarf became a renowned woodcrafter and was subsequently kicked into the army because wood is of less than ideal frequency and I actually don't like pissing off the elves. They are digging the cobaltite and sphalerite to train further before I sicc them on the upper levels.

The elves brought a few sticks that the whittlers are carving into spears for a militia training facility read: danger room, but for now Laborflashes is mainly protected by a vivid blue cobaltite wall and a plethora of cage traps and lever-operated drawbridges. There are a couple of mountain goats expecting kids, along with a llama and a yak, the latter of which is also expecting a calf.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 02:22:47 pm by proxn_punkd »

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27097 on: December 28, 2012, 03:15:28 pm »

2 years have passed, finally got my sun berries from the elves, langurs, buzzards and macaques keep trying to steal everything on the surface, but the military beats them back and we have food for a while.

Walls have been put up to segregate our claimed area (albeit quite a small spot on the surface) and we are quite safe within the new walls. No threats other than goblin snatchers and kobold thieves have been spotted yet, and the only routes into the fort are guarded by ramps with a retractable bridge over them, to block access up to the main fort area.

A few moods have come over the dwarves present, one a glassmaker (a perfect green glass gem, with an engraving of the vampire king taking control in year 1) and this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

No engravings or anything special, just spikes of leather and some gems. But the name fits a shield perfectly, and has been issued to the head marksdwarf (he's just short of legendary now, after all the shooting of buzzards and monkeys)

All civilians are being issued leather gear and a quiver/crossbow, just because. Figure if we get on top of this now, clothing and defense should be a non-issue.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 03:18:46 pm by Lich180 »

Mishrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27098 on: December 28, 2012, 07:27:36 pm »

I'm not sure why he decided to go to sleep in a pool of vomit and blood and yak bull guts and leave the yak bull there suffering, but that's exactly what he did.

wer6

• Bay Watcher
  • SCOUT DOESNT WANNA GIVE A KISS
    • View Profile
    • Pirate baaaayyyy!~
« Reply #27099 on: December 28, 2012, 09:12:46 pm »

Installed daleks. TEN MINUTES LATER.

OH GOD SEAL THE DOORS: THE DALEK WE CAPTURED RAISED ITS PLUNGER RU-*plunge plunge*
Just before leaving, Psysquid quickly summons a Burrito in his mouth.

RoaryStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27100 on: December 28, 2012, 10:39:23 pm »

Goblins seiged. With fifteen people and a war jabberer. What - the - ****
Elves traded.
Humans - seiged. What!?
Then I remembered the year before. Apparently, that last year, a wagon got stuck when a tree blocked its path, and it couldn't go another way.

Code: [Select]
♣,",,
,WWW♣
,WWW"
♣WWW,
,,,τ,

suddenly became

♣,",,
,WWW♣
,WWW"
♣WWW,
,,,♣,

And so, the entire line was trapped. And they broke. Somehow.

So, they seiged - with 25 people. Much more formidable then the goblins, but still - I expected something like 70.
Then they ran into the traps.

═════
▲U▲UU
,UUU2
═╗^╔═
 ║▲║
 ╚═╝

They retreated when 3 people died. I was like, "WHAT. THE. CIRCUS. JUST. HAPPENED."
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 10:42:28 pm by RoaryStar »

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27101 on: December 29, 2012, 12:30:52 am »

It's been 3 years in Ûzzuglar. Since Spring of 184, a retracting bridge pit trap Goblinite Particle Accelerator (GPA, named after what it destroys) has been developed and implemented. On one occasion, an Elven caravan tragically wandered into the accelerator chamber as it was about to be dry-fired for no reason. As the retracting bridges opened over the goblins and Blizzard Men, the caravan's contents bloomed like cherry blossoms in a baby dwarf's beard, showering the siegers below with hazardous particles. Thanks to the Cat Detector Array, we can see the results of the particle collisions in intimate detail:

!!SCIENCE!! was done, and thanks to those slimy treehuggers brave, hapless elves, we have confirmed String Theory (the theory that string can, in fact, be weaponized).
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27102 on: December 29, 2012, 05:09:56 am »

Still unimpressed by human sieges.   :(

Two cavalry squads came and simply camped out.  So the garrison gathered and then sortied out to attack one of their squad camps.  Hit the camp with a well-timed mix of marks- and melee- dwarves where the initial bolt salvo hit them right before the melee dwarves made contact.  The humans broke quite easily and started running, but by that time the mass of dwarves had lapped around their flank and very few made it. 

The dwarves then tramped over to hit the other camp - and the humans fled as the first crossbow bolts hit them!  And they ran fast enough that only a few were caught by the advancing melee troops.  (Axe lord is frustrated, not enough things to kill.)   >:(

At least there is now a nice supply of camel and horse meat products in the fort. 
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27103 on: December 29, 2012, 06:46:30 am »

I'm trying to improve living conditions for my little ponies.

So, I've made tons of obsidian furniture (doors, coffers and cabinets), selected only the exceptional and masterwork ones and will decorate them with electrum.

That's the version for everyone. For the nobles, they'll be made of electrum and decorated with several different gems.

The beds will all be made out of modded fungal-wood or taint-wood, that has been polished with oil.

Besides that, I'm testing out the other new features of my mod and planning to present it as my New Year's present to Bay 12.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 06:54:40 am by Valikdu »

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27104 on: December 29, 2012, 02:02:48 pm »

My new fort has a floodplain.

The left half of the river unfreezes much slower than the right half. It creates a damn causing the water from the waterfall to build up faster than it can exit the map from the south. There's a layer of 7 deep water on top of this layer of 7 deep water causing a buildup that spills onto the southern half of the map in the spring.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 02:07:10 pm by Broseph Stalin »
Pages: 1 ... 1805 1806 [1807] 1808 1809 ... 3842