Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1658 1659 [1660] 1661 1662 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6123391 times)

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #24885 on: August 15, 2012, 05:45:40 pm »

12 statues?  Can I see your layout for your mist generator(s)?

Code: [Select]
╔════╗
║☼%%☼║
║%██%║  Z=+1
║%██%║
║☼%%☼║
╚════╝

Ω  Ω
  ██    Z= 0
  ██
 Ω  ☼

╔═╗
   ║▲║
  ╔╝#╚╗
  ║▬%▬║ Z=-1
  ║▬%▬║
  ║▬ ▬║
  ╚═══╝

╔═╗
  ╔╝▲╚╗
  ║≈║≈║ Z=-2
  ║≈║≈║
  ║≈║≈║
  ╚═╩═╝

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24886 on: August 15, 2012, 06:40:07 pm »

One of my humans died of old age. His wife is the same age as him and has four children and three babies which despite being disgusting means I'm going to have to have the carpenter start making tiny coffins.

edit: Humans apparently become adults at three so that's pretty awesome. The village is actually growing. The downside is I'm very likely about to have babies who are only three years younger than their parents.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 06:44:36 pm by Broseph Stalin »

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #24887 on: August 15, 2012, 07:53:22 pm »

You need to enact a baby cap, NOW!

Or mod the game so you can't get migrants.

Or go lord of the rings on them and throw all the babies in a artificially made volcano.

Or round up every male in the fort and throw them in a artificially made volcano.

Or make a dwarven style minecart shotgun that has babies for ammo.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24888 on: August 15, 2012, 08:13:36 pm »

You need to enact a baby cap, NOW!

Or mod the game so you can't get migrants.

Or go lord of the rings on them and throw all the babies in a artificially made volcano.

Or round up every male in the fort and throw them in a artificially made volcano.

Or make a dwarven style minecart shotgun that has babies for ammo.

I actually can't get migrants. I'm doing a slow paced human village dealy with a pop cap of 40. I hadn't anticipated how easy it is for 40 humans to provide for themselves, at any given time about 30 of them are idle and getting their bone on.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #24889 on: August 15, 2012, 08:21:06 pm »

Can you still get minecarts? 'Cause I think you should make the baby shotgun.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24890 on: August 15, 2012, 08:27:36 pm »

Can you still get minecarts? 'Cause I think you should make the baby shotgun.
I forgot to give humans mine carts, I was thinking about getting them all wet and seeing if they would freeze to death in the 3 season long winter but since they become adults at age 3 I'm sort of cool with it.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #24891 on: August 15, 2012, 08:39:27 pm »

Alright then, make a particle shield using drawbridges, babies, and cloth socks.

oven_baked

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24892 on: August 15, 2012, 09:38:20 pm »

I'm wondering what to do with 1000 bars of silver and 800 bars of platinum.
I've got a Hall with silver chairs and silver tables that can seat my entire fort, and a statue garden of platinum and silver statues.
I've just been trading crafts away for useful stuff like iron and weapons.

And despite all that my dwarfs aren't happy, so i've got "Peace Keepers" patrolling to make sure that tantrums don't escalate. I'm hoping their Silver Warhammers will inspire peaceful thoughts.
We just need to get Toady to embed a Lisp interpreter into DF.  Learning lambda calculus in order to play the game wouldn't make DF's learning curve much steeper.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24893 on: August 15, 2012, 09:39:54 pm »

Clearly you must build a giant silver fist flipping off the world.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24894 on: August 15, 2012, 10:05:47 pm »

Mod vampires and werebeasts so touching silver is poison to them.

Cover your fort in it.

Except for one room in which a vampire would be safe. Then use him as your warbeast.

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24895 on: August 15, 2012, 11:53:59 pm »

A marsh titan in the form of a large blob made of water just got oneshoted by a caravan guard's bolt. I like to imagine that it popped like a bubble :P
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

gbrngfol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24896 on: August 16, 2012, 12:12:37 am »

Some more cannon fodder peasants arrived in a tiny migrant wave. Now it's time to test the goblin trap.
My computer breaks down regularly. Duct tape is starting to lose it's charm.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #24897 on: August 16, 2012, 12:29:43 am »

About to engage in an impressive goblin massacre--13 steel-plated dwarves locked in a room with 399 unarmed goblins. The 400th goblin, their stripped-naked war leader, will be watching the carnage from his cage. Not sure if they'll be able to slaughter all the goblins before miasma sets in.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Shininglight

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi There
    • View Profile
« Reply #24898 on: August 16, 2012, 12:32:03 am »

Project Guinea Pigs For All is going well, as is my recruitment as nearly every migrant i've gotten is competent withat least one weapon, also just got a migrant who arrived on map only to suddenly be missing her right foot and left cheek.... can someone explain the last bit?
tl;dr: My fortress is literally powered by puppy skulls.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24899 on: August 16, 2012, 12:38:35 am »

Injured during world gen in a battle obviously.
Pages: 1 ... 1658 1659 [1660] 1661 1662 ... 3842