Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1657 1658 [1659] 1660 1661 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6123291 times)

Kibstable

• Bay Watcher
  • We didn't start the fire...
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #24870 on: August 15, 2012, 01:12:30 pm »

In my 12 year old reclaim, after just one siege, the humans wanted peace. And I accepted - was that wrong?
I was just recovering from seeing my first 'died of old age message' at the time.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #24871 on: August 15, 2012, 01:50:24 pm »

My Human Village has eighty people in it. 50 of them are children. 100% of those children were born in the fortress.

Do you humans idolize rabbits or guppies?
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24872 on: August 15, 2012, 02:45:32 pm »

Do you humans idolize rabbits or guppies?
We just reached one hundred citizens. There are still only thirty adults. The first and second litters have reached childhood, every female human is weighted down with at least one baby and a cloud of children following them. I have more children than logs, I'm considering burning the little bastards for coal.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 03:20:20 pm by Broseph Stalin »

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #24873 on: August 15, 2012, 02:56:59 pm »

But I thought they were Humans?

And in my struggling fort, Rinsewhipped, the Crundle threat may be over, but they left their mark.

My refuse piles are literally almost completely filled up with Crundle parts. It seems as soon as one refuse pile is dug out, it is instantly filled. I need to get bone crafting operations up pronto!

No, seriously, according to the stocks menu there are 134 body parts lying around. Easily 80% of the dead stuff around here is crundles.

EDIT: Well, It appears that I am out of drinks, and have sealed off my water supplies. I only have 14 plants, according to the Z menu. Anyone want to take bets on how many die of dehydration?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 03:02:07 pm by Mageziya »
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24874 on: August 15, 2012, 03:06:24 pm »

So long as there's some kind of water they won't die of dehydration. And start gathering plants like a sonofabitch to brew.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #24875 on: August 15, 2012, 03:15:14 pm »

I seem to be in a survivable situation if everything were to stay put as is, BUUUUUUUT it just became Spring. Being that 3rd migrant wave is coming soon I am very afraid. While I have enough meat and housing to sustain the dorf migrants for a wee bit, fluids are the problem now. All plants are solely dedicated brewing right now, but I don't know if they can produce enough drinks. If all comes to worst I will have to breach the walls I built to protect me from the Crundles In the mean time, I will need to begin the hospital project, as that would lead to the creation of a well.

I might just be over reacting, but seeing how this is dwarf fortress....

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24876 on: August 15, 2012, 03:24:58 pm »

My glacier fort lived off nothing but cavern water for two years without a well, so as long as you designate a spot to be the drinky place, they'll go there.

Booze is the reason I like humans. They won't slowdown unless they're alcoholics, which I noted seems to be at a higher ratio among my soldiers, and as opposed to dwarves who need to be told where to drink if no well is available until nearly dead, humans readily go to the nearest source of water (if there's no river, they'll go to any old murky pool) for a drink.The only downside is they bitch about there not being a well and the water tasting like fly shit.

Dorfs on the other hand, as you know suffer that work slowdown.

So, a miner in glacialhell met his end in an accident today. Shame too. He was my best engraver and had the highest killcount. Long story short, I forgot to put in a support for my attempt to see if the ice cave in trick still worked. He landed headfirst. Good thing I have a bunch of fishery workers with no purpose to train up to replace him.

Seriously, if the guys from the caravan said "frozen wasteland" why the hell did all the fishery workers think that'd be a good place to move to? Hell most of them are basically waiting for enough hammers and maces to be made (I got a rediculous number of mace and hammerdorf veterans) so they can begin thier career change.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #24877 on: August 15, 2012, 03:29:58 pm »

Well, if you can fish in caves, you just need to set up a proper system that feeds the Fishedorfs to FB's when they arrive by sealing them out of the fort.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24878 on: August 15, 2012, 03:33:39 pm »

They're more useful as my arctic army to be honest. Most of them were the above mentioned hammer/mace veterans.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24879 on: August 15, 2012, 03:48:17 pm »

Well, if you can fish in caves, you just need to set up a proper system that feeds the Fishedorfs to FB's when they arrive by sealing them out of the fort.
Can you fish in the caverns? I've never been able to and I've never seen anyone personally claim to have done so.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24880 on: August 15, 2012, 03:57:32 pm »

cavern fishing is pitifully inefficent because there's only a small amount of them in the place. Sometimes they also catch pond turtles down there though, and at least one dorf has been fishing (the fucker slipped through) and must be catching at least a few things down there.

But I can just import enough fish to see me through the whole year from the humans if I want to, so I don't need fishery workers. But as I said, they've come with valuable prior battle expierence and in a modbold infested world, that's an advantage.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #24881 on: August 15, 2012, 04:00:31 pm »

Welp, the Armageddon is here. No not demons, Migrants. I had 13 dorfs before they arrived.

Now I have 36.

Those farms better work double time, and this well needs to get up FAST.

Oh, I should probably mention my water source is a aquifer, since I don't fancy the idea of a web-shooting Turtle-hawk coming out of my well. There is also the possibility of me dieing horribly to pressure, but it's on over the other.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24882 on: August 15, 2012, 04:04:08 pm »

webspitting turtle hawk? I had a webspitting three eyed elephant come out of my well bitch! And that thing made GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD eatin'. And I went from 20 dorfs to 77 in one shot. On a glacier. WITH NO BOOZE. And yes, I am oneupping you. I'll give you credit on the aquifer though, I never make use of them. Ever. Because I don't like my construction material and building area to be tied up with impassible water.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #24883 on: August 15, 2012, 04:17:38 pm »

It's a love hate relationship. I absolutely HATE breaching them, but they have so many uses. I remember that someone on these forums created a bioweapon aquifer by contaminating a pool with extract, due to the way the game works this translated a self replicating flood of death. I will probably in this forts later years try and make a ice cannon, but that is not now.

I should also mention the aquifer in my fort is three layers thick and covers (I think) the entire map. Breaching it requires a massive freeze through pit or an uber plug.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24884 on: August 15, 2012, 04:32:50 pm »

Welp, the Armageddon is here. No not demons, Migrants. I had 13 dorfs before they arrived.

Now I have 36.

Those farms better work double time, and this well needs to get up FAST.

Oh, I should probably mention my water source is a aquifer, since I don't fancy the idea of a web-shooting Turtle-hawk coming out of my well. There is also the possibility of me dieing horribly to pressure, but it's on over the other.

diagonals will save your life. Remember this. This simple rule has saved me so many times.
Pages: 1 ... 1657 1658 [1659] 1660 1661 ... 3842