Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1477 1478 [1479] 1480 1481 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6107700 times)

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #22170 on: April 24, 2012, 10:12:58 pm »

... One season later, a tigress wanders onto the map, and a hunter foolishly takes a shot, and hits it in the most non-vital spot possible-  The tail.  ...
To be fair, that is one HELL of a shot!

Ozfer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22171 on: April 24, 2012, 10:21:02 pm »

Yea, I guess it does take some skill to fail that bad XD.

talysman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22172 on: April 24, 2012, 10:51:27 pm »

... One season later, a tigress wanders onto the map, and a hunter foolishly takes a shot, and hits it in the most non-vital spot possible-  The tail.  ...
If the bolt had pinned the tiger's tail to the ground, that would have been fantastic.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22173 on: April 25, 2012, 12:08:45 am »

If the bolt had pinned the tiger's tail to the ground, that would have been fantastic.
Or if there had been a donkey standing behind the tiger, and it's tail had been pinned to it....
Uh.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
« Reply #22174 on: April 25, 2012, 05:36:10 am »

Reorganized the entire fortress as we were headed toward starvation. I wonder if this will help or will make things worse.

Every dwarven child gets the 'I hate my life because I had no clothes for 5 minutes' and it does not seem to wear off.
They have clothes, they sleep in legendary rooms, eat legendary meals, but they remain borderline suicidal because they spend their first years naked. Can you say 'hair trigger tantrum spiral' fortress ?
This bug is becoming so problematic as my fortress matures I'm considering regressing to an earlier version of the game. What was the last one without this problem ?

Meanwhile, my 2nd vampire is proving elusive to find and has killed again.
Check out Time Denee's brilliant DF comics of Bronzemurder and Oilfurnace.

Batdwarf Forever !

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22175 on: April 25, 2012, 06:32:40 am »

Sabreheals is having a bit of a crisis.

-Food supplies are running very, very low. The two farms can't keep up with demand. I realised we had two female birds; so I built two nest boxes and got 20 eggs; 15 from one hen, and 5 from one guineahen. They were promptly made into biscuits, which DISAPPEARED SO FAST. DARN YOU MEDDLING DORFKIDS. THE ADULTS NEED THAT.
-I had to slaughter our cat and one of our dogs, as well as a rabbit (sorry Zzarklinux). Sadly that also disappeared like lightning. The tallow is being made into food.
I'm thinking about building another farm plot, but resources are stretched thin.

-The dwarves are quite happy; most of them sitting at 'fine' or higher despite the low quantities of food and almost no alcohol.

-Elves showed up. Dwarves delivered craft by craft (can't spare any wood to make bins) and then the elves up and left, as my broker was too busy giving birth, then eating, then sleeping. They had wood, two rare animals (giant louse, barn owl) and lotsa alcohol.

-A potash maker went missing (upon inspection of New Sabreheals, he'd walled himself off.   ::))

-Migrants arrived and very narrowly avoided the infernal ash clouds. Do they want to come in? Absolutely. Are they going to get in? LOLNOPE.

-Infernal ash was discovered on a hare hair crown. Somehow. I don't even know how. Especially given the dwarf who dropped it dropped it inside the fort.

-A polar bear, perhaps the one our broker wounded, was found dead outside, with huge amounts of infernal ash coating its body. It probably won't rise. But, the body has been forbidden, and the emergency gates sealed.

-To top it all off, we have a gigantic salamander with a poisonous bite roaming around Sabreheals Lake. Thankfully it hasn't found a way into the fortress, and the only access point is via the farm plot area, on the other side of the map, so I'm probably fine for now.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22176 on: April 25, 2012, 06:45:48 am »

Every dwarven child gets the 'I hate my life because I had no clothes for 5 minutes' and it does not seem to wear off.
They have clothes, they sleep in legendary rooms, eat legendary meals, but they remain borderline suicidal because they spend their first years naked. Can you say 'hair trigger tantrum spiral' fortress ?
This bug is becoming so problematic as my fortress matures I'm considering regressing to an earlier version of the game. What was the last one without this problem ?

34.06 is the one where Toady re-activated clothing.

Are you sure that it's a bug, not just "happiness went to -100, but it's slowly going back up with legendary stuff?"
I know thoughts show on the Z-Thoughts screen for a while, but that doesn't mean they're constantly applying right?

Edit:

-I had to slaughter our cat and one of our dogs, as well as a rabbit (sorry Zzarklinux). Sadly that also disappeared like lightning. The tallow is being made into food.
I'm thinking about building another farm plot, but resources are stretched thin.

How does slaughtering that rabbit help?
They are low maintenance. It's your dwarves that are causing the problems...

Hope that hare hair crown was worth it.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 06:54:07 am by ZzarkLinux »

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
« Reply #22177 on: April 25, 2012, 07:03:23 am »

Are you sure that it's a bug, not just "happiness went to -100, but it's slowly going back up with legendary stuff?"
I know thoughts show on the Z-Thoughts screen for a while, but that doesn't mean they're constantly applying right?

Many thanks !
It is difficult to keep track of individual dorfs, but my military is mostly teenagers, they all have clothing and they are all upset about lack of clothing.
Perhaps I am simply not waiting long enough. I'll try to find a child that is not traumatized in other ways and see how it develops.
Check out Time Denee's brilliant DF comics of Bronzemurder and Oilfurnace.

Batdwarf Forever !

Slashes-With-Claws

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22178 on: April 25, 2012, 12:07:07 pm »

Just started my first fort and as I am checking out the area I notices all the flashing green "k"s around.  I look at one and see it is a kea.  Well, I figure, "What harm can a bunch of parrots be?"

*Five minutes later*

"...interrupted by kea, interrupted by kea..."

*Five more minutes later*

"Augh, get them off! They stole my axe!  They are stealing the food! Get everything inside!"

I predict that in a year someone will wander by the site and find the fortress sealed up with pictures of keas slaughtering people on the walls and the last remnants of a journal saying something like the "They are everywhere... we dare not go outside, we have already lost half the population to them.  They get in through any opening, keeping them out is almost impossible.  I hear flapping... the parrots are coming..."
Mary had a Little Lamb...

...BUT I ATE IT!

MysteriousOldGuy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22179 on: April 25, 2012, 12:36:59 pm »

MOG over here, just stated a MASTERWORK mod Dwarf fortress and ran it for awhile.

My first artifact was a crappy amulet, my second was a bone helmet, but my third.....

Ekastdudgoth 'Savebog' A Chitinplate Sombrero.

This is a chitinplate sombrero. All craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. it is encircled with bands of living stone. This object menaces with spikes of chitinplate, diorite, and cat's eye.
on the item is an image of Otira Tongsvestibular the ferric elf in chitinplate. Otira Tongsvestibular is traveling. The artwork relates to the journey of the ferric elf Otira Tongsvestibular to the brown forest in the midspring of 3 during the Journey of the ferric elf Otira Tongsvestibular.

So my dwarf made a sombrero detail the journey of a tree-loving elf, and made it out of mostly organic materials.

Have we discovered the Curse of the Were-Hippie yet?

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22180 on: April 25, 2012, 12:58:02 pm »

So, my new fort, aptly named CRAZEMACHINES, is making use of multiple abandonements and reclaims to gather supplies for a +75 z level magma pump stack on a glacier along with a new type of waterwheel power reactor I'm working on. Things are looking pretty glorious, and 3 dwarves have died so far. One angered the local yeti, and the other two died to, eh, mechanical mishaps :P

Now I'm dispatching a reclaim party of 2 smiths, 2 mechanics, 2 miners and 1 bookkeeper to gather all the supplies and put the huge pump stack togheder along with the Urist waterwheel power reactor mark 2, which will power said stack, and if it works properly, it might have much, much extra power to use on future machine shenaningas. If for some miracle it ends up working I'll post screenshots here.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

agertor

• Bay Watcher
  • Socks, so useful I wear them
    • View Profile
    • Hey it's me on Steam.
« Reply #22181 on: April 25, 2012, 01:13:16 pm »

Reorganized the entire fortress as we were headed toward starvation. I wonder if this will help or will make things worse.

I'm having the same problem. It doesn't seem to wear off even if they have clothes on.
I AM THE SOCK PUPPET MAN
I came back with my sandwich. That was the saddest sandwich, I had ever eaten in my entire life.
you are an evil person sock.

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22182 on: April 25, 2012, 01:19:39 pm »

Many thanks !
It is difficult to keep track of individual dorfs, but my military is mostly teenagers, they all have clothing and they are all upset about lack of clothing.
Perhaps I am simply not waiting long enough. I'll try to find a child that is not traumatized in other ways and see how it develops.

Are you using Dwarf Therapist?  It will give you the actual numeric value for their happiness.  Easier to see it changing that way.
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22183 on: April 25, 2012, 01:31:41 pm »

My water reactor array now produces 2400 U of power, and my dwarves are filling the last row of trenches.  When they're full, I'll build the waterwheels, which will bring the power total to 3200 U.  I also began digging out the plumbing for the waterfall.  It's annoyingly complicated, as I have to dig around all the tunnels and hallways in my fortress.  I also have to punch through directly into my river, so I'm going to have to be careful so as not to lose any miners.

The siege is finally broken, since the goblins apparently got bored and left.  A few trolls were still hanging out at the edge of the map, which one of my (off-duty) marksdwarves took care of.  He was just going up onto the walls to pick up some vermin remains when he spotted the trolls, which he promptly turned into pincushions.  Not a week later, the dwarven caravan arrived.  Unfortunately, they brought another siege with them.  One squad spawned right next to the caravan, and the merchants didn't stand a chance.  The goblins only have one squad on giant bats this time, and they're all hammergoblins, so my marksdwarves took them out easily.  The rest of the goblins are just sitting there, out of range of my dwarves' crossbows, but at least they're not doing any harm.

I also have two restless haunts floating around, both of them caravan guards from past years.  Their names don't show up to be memorialized, so I can't get rid of them.  I had a few violent ghosts as well, but I could at least make slabs for them.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22184 on: April 25, 2012, 01:45:45 pm »

I'm having the same problem. It doesn't seem to wear off even if they have clothes on.

All dwarves will have negative thoughts if they are wearing very worn clothing (noted with an X, not an x) so for me, what I've found works well is to clear the ownership of their X items, and make them dump them, while at the same time, having a surplus of shirts, shoes and trousers available for them to replace the recently dumped X clothing.  They only need shirts, shoes and trousers to be Ecstatic.  I have many forts like this with many years of in-game happiness. :)

X worn clothing gives an unhappy thought.
x worn clothing does not, but is an indication of future badness.

For whatever reason, they seem to not be very proactive about removing the X worn clothing, even with shiny new non-x and non-X clothing being available to them.  dfhack: 'cleanowned X dryrun' to see if there are any that need it, then 'cleanowned X' is all you need to do.
Pages: 1 ... 1477 1478 [1479] 1480 1481 ... 3842