Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1476 1477 [1478] 1479 1480 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6107574 times)

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
  • ETHIC:NONBELIEVER:SHUN
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #22155 on: April 24, 2012, 12:05:35 pm »

WERELIZARD! FRACKING WERELIZARD!
RiiiiiiIIIIIGHT after a huge migration wave.

EDIT: Wrecked a clothier before transforming back into a human and turning tail.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 12:20:02 pm by RabblerouserGT »

..and then the child Praiseincest shall be dipped in the river of Pregnantjuices! Rejoice! The son of Armok has been born!
My dwarf worships the goddess of suicide. This can only bode well.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22156 on: April 24, 2012, 12:51:24 pm »

That's one nice thing about my current world... no vampire migrants.  ...because there are no migrants.

I am going to begin an ubermensch breeding project shortly.  The last incarnation of the dwarven race will have phylogenic weakness completely eradicated as part of their glorious rebirth.

I want to reach a stable population of 500 dwarves, if possible. (More if I can swing it.)

Any word yet of dfhack supporting the new versions yet?  I don't want to abandon the fortress. I want to convert to adv mode, and then retire the adventurer, so the fortress never falls.

(That way there will be an active fortress in the world for subsequent !!fun!! Embarks right on the most scorpion's front door, and so the dwarven caravan will actually come.)

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
  • ETHIC:NONBELIEVER:SHUN
    • View Profile
« Reply #22157 on: April 24, 2012, 01:05:15 pm »

Damnit. The clothier turned into a werelizard.
Had to put him down.

..and then the child Praiseincest shall be dipped in the river of Pregnantjuices! Rejoice! The son of Armok has been born!
My dwarf worships the goddess of suicide. This can only bode well.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22158 on: April 24, 2012, 01:05:22 pm »

Dragongild is now halfway through its ninth year, and I've decided to make a waterfall system.  It'll pour through the aboveground dining hall, spraying everyone with glorious mist.  I have a lot of construction to do, and I need to figure out what I'm going to do for drainage.

The only real obstacle in the way is the goblin siege.  I didn't have a military until recently, so they're far from ready to deal with the goblins.  This is a real problem, since some of them have giant bats.  I drafted a bunch of dwarves into crossbow squads and had them man the walls, and we've held them off thus far with very few casualties, but I can't keep this up for much longer.  All my civilians are safely burrowed, so I'm going to call my military back to the secondary defenses and seal off the fortress from the surface.  I have 4000+ drinks and food, and many farms sitting idle, so I should be able to wait out the siege.  Until they leave, I'll just keep working on my water reactor array, which currently produces 1600 U (minus ~200 from the stuff hooked up to it), with most of the work done to double that amount.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #22159 on: April 24, 2012, 01:41:55 pm »

Any word yet of dfhack supporting the new versions yet?  I

It's completely functional with 34.07, except for dfusion

A weapon/armor smith got a fey mood. Checking him in therapist, I see he has slightly better armorsmithing skills. Impatient I wait to see what his first metal bar will be. Dare I hope steel?

Nickel. Checking personal preferences and checking with dfhack, yep he only wanted nickel.  ???

Oh well
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Carpagerphant

• Bay Watcher
  • What happens if I... OH GOD NO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22160 on: April 24, 2012, 02:07:35 pm »

>Built magma forge, glass furnace, and smelter in a disorganized, sloppy manner.
>Forgot about magma beasties, Magma Crabs in particular.
>Minor case of !FUN! ensues.
>Minotaur shows up and beats up my craftsdwarves, then gets pummeled by my military.
>Run out of booze because my only brewer was FUBAR by Magma Crab.
>No water source on the flippin' volcano for hospital and thirsty, booze deprived dwarves.
>Narrowly avoid disaster by way of perfectly timed migrant wave.
>Pretend it never happened, no matter what the damned corpses say.

But hey, at least I found a bunch of trees on a clearing way up the mountain that I'd somehow missed, now the new migrants actually get beds. :D
And then the Lord said, "Let there be stone, and magma, and creatures, and beasts." And it was so. It was... Dwarfy. And Crispy. Quite crispy.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22161 on: April 24, 2012, 04:39:39 pm »

This is a stack of 12 chopped large rat liver roast.  The ingredients are well-minced plump helmet, superiorly minced prepared porcupine lung, well-minced blind cave bear tripe and minced chopped large rat liver.

By Armok... you'll eat it, and LIKE IT!   :P

randman

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22162 on: April 24, 2012, 05:16:09 pm »

This is a stack of 12 chopped large rat liver roast.  The ingredients are well-minced plump helmet, superiorly minced prepared porcupine lung, well-minced blind cave bear tripe and minced chopped large rat liver.

By Armok... you'll eat it, and LIKE IT!   :P

Had one like that that was made up of four varieties of tallow. Blech.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #22163 on: April 24, 2012, 06:10:32 pm »

I am stunned. I never had an efficient militia before. Just made a new squad, just recruits and 2 seasons ahead everyone got some points in fighter, weapon, dodge and wrestler, for some reason
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22164 on: April 24, 2012, 07:40:03 pm »

6th Opal, 264 - At the Mountainhome Dorentīkut, "Diamondbooks".

My liege, several of the workers have informed me that a skulking Kobold infiltrated the farm area - bypassing the entrance guards. I shall take care of their reeducation. Thankfully our glorious military champions, the Copper Beaches, were nearby. I'm told the chase ranged nearly to the edge of our settlement, but Dastot Chamberpulleys, the Mirrors of Impaling, heroically leapt towards the theif before he was able to leave, piercing its skull in one flying strike. Our engravers have been informed to record this event on a new slab for the hall of memories.

- From the desk of Acal Orimobmu, Mayor.

talysman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22165 on: April 24, 2012, 07:41:35 pm »

All my children are going insane and throwing tantrums due to no clothes, I thought this was fixed in the new version...

I am quite sad because I am trying to counter this as best as I possibly can.
Some of mine are, too. And they stay unhappy even after they get some clothes from my clothiers, who are pretty much working around the clock.

Had one kid go berserk in front of a militia recruit who was accidentally on duty. She was promptly slain. I guess I have to watch the parents closely now...

Second child in same fort went melancholy for a while, then died of dehydration. Both of these kids were actually wearing clothes at the time, but their previous embrassment was apparently too intense.

think of it this way...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It's not their sorrow at their nakidity that's surprising. It's the fact that they continue to be miserable after being given clothes, despite the fact that that's the only bad thing that happened to them.

And they're willing to commit suicide because of the embarrassment.

Same fort just got over my first goblin siege. I've had ambushes before, but not sieges. I think this was a pretty small siege, though, since it didn't seem much bigger than the ambushes. Turns out I hadn't finished installing a lever linked to the main bridge, so I rushed to get that finished while the goblins were busy slaughtering every pastured animal they can find. I seal up the fort and get busy trying to crank out more iron armor/weapons, but they seem to be taking their time on this. At least I didn't have to worry about food or drink.

A forgotten beast showed up during the siege, but stayed down in the caverns for a good long time. I get bored waiting for the dwarves to finish carving out my magma trap and decide to open the gate, just for a little while. Goblins head towards it, squad leader walks into my serrated glass disks, and the goblins immediately decide the siege is over. No deaths on either side, though, other than useless animals. Except that now a farmer decided to have a fey mode and demand yarn cloth, which I don't have and can't make now...

After the goblins are long gone, I'm digging out access to the caverns to set up a cage trap and statue to lure the forgotten beast into it, because I notice it's a web spitter and think that would be neat to have. Except before I finish, the beast finally decides to go up the alternate route, kills a cat, and I send my feeble untrained military to deal with it. Two deaths due to suffocation, but they take out the beast.

Forgotten beast silk *can* be made into cloth, right?

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22166 on: April 24, 2012, 07:49:47 pm »

My CMD just got possessed. He wants shells. This map has never seen anything except river fish.

Well shit.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22167 on: April 24, 2012, 08:07:39 pm »

BunnyBunches the Rabbit-Hut

19) Blade swinging is hard work
20) Zombie-geddon

I'm laughing, smirking, and listening to good music, even as my fort hits a zombie-geddon.
I am so proud, yet so angry at myself too.

I got greedy. That's why I lost.

Human merchants arrived. I thought "Great, they stand next to migrant tube #1 just waiting for me to open it"
But I was foolish, and I left the migrant tube #3 on the other side of the map still open.
So the humans started to path across the map, to that Camel corpse from earlier.
Thankfully they dispatched it without too much trouble (lucky, because camels have hooves).

It was another blasphemy I have made.

Then I had also decided that I wanted to prepare to search for cavern #2. So I openned cavern #1 in preparation.
I didn't realize that Cave Crocodiles would path so quickly !!

That Cave Crocodile killed my starting mason/mechanic and a starting militia.
Here is some other damage he did:
Metal greaves and such are great at protection, but mail shirts still leave the upper arms vulnerable.
But who needs arms anyway.

I was also in a rush to butcher a Yak who was starving in a butcher chamber.
I wanted his meat, no matter what, and I didn't want to have to fight a full Yak Bull Corpse later.
So I butchered it, then got pre-occupied with the cave crocodile.
Forgot to lock the room.
Yes, the human traders are there with my broker, ready to trade.

With the garbage chute blocked due to rubble, 3 starting dwarves dead, and last militia is miserable, I'm going to succumb to the infection.
This fort is salvagable, just change all dwarves to Dump-Haulers and I'd be fine.
But I was way too lucky throughout this fort.
Armork's justice has caught up with me.
I had deliberately built my fort under the evil area, because I am one tough Doe Rabbit. But I wasn't man enough to maintain it.

So, Uncle Xykon, what's the moral of the story ?
Positives
Butcher chambers work fantastic.
Migrant tubes (underground passage so your migrants don't get g-raped on the surface) are awesome
Pro-active Surface Management allowed me to do lots of cool things, even in a reanimating, ash-husking biome.
Garbage-chute-construction-time is great for medical testing, and I'm very happy I invested in him at embark.
Bedrooms for your military are a must.
Migrants and their livestock embody pure evil.
Negatives
I didn't manage the sealing/opening of migrant tubes efficiently.
I didn't get the garbage chute working fast enough because I was distracted by megaproject.
I didn't have enough food/booze in the beginning.
I actually wish this site had more evil-map-edges,
like 40% of it was untamed wilds even though only I only had 1 embark square that wasn't terrifying.

Ozfer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22168 on: April 24, 2012, 08:40:40 pm »

This is my first real fort, and it's going pretty good.  After a tough winter with very little food or drink, I pulled through and planted some crops outdoors.  As I'm recovering from the food shortage, 24 Migrants come.  Yes, 24.  Luckily, 3 are hunters, and go to work bringing back tons of meat. 

One season later, a tigress wanders onto the map, and a hunter foolishly takes a shot, and hits it in the most non-vital spot possible-  The tail.  Enraged, the tiger leaps (Or at least ran.  I just imagine it as a leap.) at the hunter, and he actually gets a shot off before it gets to him (Hit it in the shoulder, chipped the bone).  It claws and rips, but he shoots it again, this time in the lung.

It bites his arm and shakes him around, giving him a permanent injury, but then it faints and dies.  With his last strength, the dwarf drags it to the Butcher, and falls unconscious immediately.

Then, as if in a fit of revenge for his fellow hunter, Urist McStrangeMood crafts a master-full buckler from it's bones.

So yeah, I thought that was kinda cool  :P.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22169 on: April 24, 2012, 08:57:41 pm »

Thanks to a competent animal trainer and a field of cage traps in the caverns, my fort is now eating masterwork roasts made almost entirely of crundles and their eggs. I'm not entirely sure how I should feel about this, but I am quite sure I don't want to think about it too much.
Pages: 1 ... 1476 1477 [1478] 1479 1480 ... 3842