Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1321 1322 [1323] 1324 1325 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6098402 times)

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #19830 on: February 24, 2012, 01:49:03 am »

Ok, genned up a new world.  Even if there are no good sites for a fort, it'll be good for adventuring -- I found 4 necro towers and at least one human ☼town☼.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19831 on: February 24, 2012, 01:51:07 am »

Crap a milkfish corpse just chased my fisherman towards a cloud of heinous fog...and now I have a heinous fog zombie! This is gonna be interesting....

Edit: Looks like a ram got it to. There goes another fort to evil cloud zombies....
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 01:54:29 am by tryrar »
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Electrode

• Bay Watcher
  • murmurs horrible curses
    • View Profile
« Reply #19832 on: February 24, 2012, 01:58:36 am »

THE RISE AND FALL OF CREWEDGILDS

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Better than my last fort. That one was made with 0.34.01. Filled up with vampires, who somehow survived the magma-fueled self-destruct sequence. For the !!SCIENTIFIC!! record: vampires can walk through 2/7 magma without suffering any ill effects, aside from fire-induced nudity. They don't even get an unhappy thought.

MenacesWithSpikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19833 on: February 24, 2012, 02:09:13 am »

Old version fort (31.25).  Pre-vampires/zombies.

12+ layers containing lots of limestone.
Plenty of iron ore.
Some tetrahedrite.
Also native gold and platinum.
And malachite.
Sphalerite (which I use to make zinc cages).
Also bituminous coal.

2 cavern layers that I've found so far.  Dunno if there's a third or not.
Lava sea that starts around Z-level -17 or so.

Fun times!

I got a very, very skilled Weaponsmith (he's around skill rank 14 or so currently) in an early wave of migrants.
Also a very skilled Armorsmith (skill level 10?).
And a very skilled Metalcrafter (skill level 10?).

My army dwarves are walking around with ridiculously high-quality steel weapons (often masterwork) and very high-quality steel armor.  Even before any of them hit Legendary anything, they were mostly instagibbing goblins.

My military dwarves recently defeated a dragon!  My world was 129 or 130 years old at the time, so the dragon wasn't max size, but I am still proud of my dwarves.   :)

The sword that finished off the dragon is a named sword now.

Got 105 or so dragon meat in the food stockpile.

Now if only some more megabeasts would show up...

The metalcrafter made a bunch of silver/gold/platinum goblets and traded them to the merchants for a very good price (goblets were in very high demand by them that year).

Currently working on building a wall around the entire embark.  Also working on improving my above-ground defenses in general.  I have so many goblins and trolls in cage traps that it's taking a long time to finish them all off, one at a time, in the execution room.  (I use trapped monsters to train up my dwarven troops...)

I have never actually created a magma forge/smelter before.  Gotta do that this embark.  Also might look into creating a lava moat.

My dwarves have a real thing for making artifacts out of bituminous coal this embark.  One of them is a hatch cover, which I currently have right on top of the main entrance to the underground areas of the fort.  I'm thinking that if a dragon ever breathes on it, some !!FUN!! will be had.

There are some troglodytes and such in the caverns, but I haven't seen a GCS yet.  How sad.  :(

Even though I have around 160 dwarves now, I haven't gotten the "you wanna be a noble?" talk yet from my civilization.  Hmm.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Leave anything to chance, eventually the RNG will roll a 1 and everything will erupt in a fountain of magma and vomit.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19834 on: February 24, 2012, 02:22:06 am »

The attempted 150-dwarf dwarven siege just got ALL turned into thralls.

Thankfully they're on the wrong side of the river.

Also, I nearly killed a dragon who then went after some migrants on the evil forest part of the map.  It bled to death there and came back as a ZOMBIE DRAGON.  MADNESS.  Shortly after, the dwarven siege got thralled.

This is gonna suck.

Btw, this is a 5x5 map:

(Sandstone)
(limestone)
(basalt)
(granite)
(and it's granite all the way down)

The mountains are all granite.

Flux with magnetitie
coal in the sandstone but it's an aquifer so RAGE and strip mining with a rube-goldbergish draining system to the river are plentiful in this rock layer as well.
Havn't hit anything in the basalt yet.  Except low quality gems.
oodles of gold in the granite.

Code: [Select]

F = good forest
X = evil forest (ZOMBIES!)
& = evil mountains (MORE ZOMBIES but they're impassable with 20+z shear cliffs all over so no one cares)

XXX&&
XFFF&
XXFF&
XFFF&
FFFF&

And the minor river follows this course:

X = not river
~ = river
M = mountain

XXXMM
XX~~~
X~~XM
X~XXM
~~XXM

...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19835 on: February 24, 2012, 02:34:34 am »

Ok, embarking FAR away from any evil areas this time...though I did make sure there was a Tower nearby for extra FUN. Nothing of real interest sdo far, getting my fort dug out right now, though I already found iron coal and flux!
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #19836 on: February 24, 2012, 02:57:56 am »

Just genned a new world and found a fairly badass female dwarf who was attacked by a werebuffalo at the age of 6.  She had her right lower arm torn off and escaped with the curse.  She's gone on to gather 109 notable kills over the next 62 years, placing her #4 among the world's highest kill counts, and is still going strong.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

dwarven philosopher

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19837 on: February 24, 2012, 05:09:29 am »

Hi everyone this is my first post, I just embarked on a ¾ terrifying biome and had some dust thrall goose zombies turn my woodcutter into a dust thrall zombie by him touching the evil dust covering the goose I can tell this spots going to be fun.

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19838 on: February 24, 2012, 05:18:03 am »

Hi everyone this is my first post, I just embarked on a ¾ terrifying biome and had some dust thrall goose zombies turn my woodcutter into a dust thrall zombie by him touching the evil dust covering the goose I can tell this spots going to be fun.

Welcome!  And enjoy the fun!

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19839 on: February 24, 2012, 05:22:27 am »

It does get purified by a pump, but if it touches any kind of natural space after that, it becomes stagnant/salty again. The way to remedy that is to build an entirely artificial reservoir out of stone.

This has actually been proven false. Somewhere on this forum there's a thread with some awesome reservoir SCIENCE that explains this

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=95811.0

Okay, that's interesting. And confusing. What can I do to desalinate the water then? Or I could just leave it, doesn't seem like the dwarves suffer any negative effects.
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19840 on: February 24, 2012, 05:25:57 am »

They have a negative thought I think.

As for desalination, as long as the area the water is touching is not marked as (ie. has had or has) salty water on it, it'll be fresh. Using the pump prevents the salty water contacting the clean water.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19841 on: February 24, 2012, 06:28:05 am »

Well, it's contaminated now. Bummer. But salt water has no effect on (soapy) baths and the one wounded guy I ever had didn't have any negative effects/thoughts from it either. I checked.
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

FaultyLogic

• Bay Watcher
  • [EDIBLE_RAW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19842 on: February 24, 2012, 07:54:51 am »

Meanwhile, far from any evil biome raining grime and filth, the dwarves of Bronzerims laboured on. When asked by the mountainhomes to reccomend a barony I picked Kel Loram. Kel Loram was a seventeen-year old dwarfette who only had one arm. She lost the other fighting a werepanther in the early days of Bronzerims. She had the gravest injuries of all the wounded dwarves that day, yet she was the first to rise out of her bed and go back to work. Whenever I would designate a new task to be completed, she would be the first one at the spot. Indeed a dwarvenly dwarf.

At first she was very happy to enter nobility. But there were alot of things to be done in the fortress, and her royal quarters got somewhat down-prioritized. She became increasingly angry and upset, pacing through the halls alone like she used to do before. Just as her rooms were about to get furnished and the last floor tiles were about to get smoothed she snapped. A commoner walked by and she in her uncontrollable anger descended on the poor peasant with a flurry of fists.

The peasant escaped unscatched, but Kel could not live with what she had done. Now she runs around the halls babbling incoherently, looking thinner and more disheveled each day.

I loved that dwarf  :'(
"It's unpossible!"

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #19843 on: February 24, 2012, 07:57:18 am »

Welcome!  And enjoy the fun!
And the injokes, and the HFS, and the magma, and the derailment and the... *goes on for infinity*

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19844 on: February 24, 2012, 08:10:54 am »

Well, this will be a good fort.  A 3x3 embark on a volcano.  Lots of cliffs but just enough flat areas to channel out and roof over an area for surface farming.  Heavily forested, so lots of trees.  Ores and stuff:

77k native gold
23k tetrahedrite
19k galena
10k hematite
7k sphalerite
3k candy
44k sand
15k clay
1k emeralds

No river, but there are some aquifers.  Have one pierced to pump into a cistern.  A nice deep map too that runs from 139 to -5.  Going to dig out some magma smelters and get this metal indstutry going.  Unfortunately, there is no flux, but there's plenty of iron and I'll be able to make some nice crafts with all that gold.  That should let me buy tons of flux from the caravans.  Coal too, but these trees will give me plenty of charcoal for steel, and there's enough soil for me to dig out tree farms if I need them.  Plenty of base metal to churn out cages and bins.

Since this spot is very much to my liking, I gave it the grandiose name of Zirilonol Gòstangshinlimulkodor Anil, "Firemountain the Awe-inspiring Bright Golden-Dawn of Glory", founded by the Gold of Secrets.  We are now at midsummer and the first migrants have arrived.  Unfortunaly, it's a couple with two kids.  I need more dorfpower, dammit!  >:(  Well, it's not all bad, the oldest kid is nearly twelve and his younger sister is 11, they won't be kids long.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath
Pages: 1 ... 1321 1322 [1323] 1324 1325 ... 3842