Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1064 1065 [1066] 1067 1068 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6094831 times)

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #15975 on: September 01, 2011, 02:52:21 pm »

"Skarp" is clearly the word of the day. Thank you!

Well, there were Skelks and Skelephants before (luckily, no Giant Skadgers), so Skarp seems the logical follow-up. The usual swimming kind was more dangerous in v28..40d, but the undead kind is still one of the worst things that can happen to a young fort.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15976 on: September 01, 2011, 03:04:41 pm »

There's an FB made of solid fire marauding around the caverns setting all the moss ablaze, boiling all the water to steam, and generally murdering my FPS. This things going to end my fortress without ever coming near it.
Send some marx-dorfs at it to stop this capitalist in it's destructive trail. A few bolts should do the trick.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
  • Sweet flaming monkey fire WHY are they doing that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15977 on: September 01, 2011, 05:29:48 pm »

I think i just my first truly useful Artifact. Artifact steel leggings!

« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 05:34:05 pm by Monkeyfacedprickleback »

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15978 on: September 01, 2011, 07:12:47 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
...I have nothing more to say.

Oh, except notice all the debris at the bottom of the massive waterfall. :P There's a few dwarves in there, two dead and one alive, a few piles of clothes, and a whole heap of stuff washed down from the trader's caravan that walked through the waterfall.

At least, most of my dwarves are fed now!  :D
How many survivors, and what is the status?

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #15979 on: September 01, 2011, 08:39:52 pm »

The Abbey has seen a great influx of petitioners, 21 to be exact, as spring of the second year came. The northern cloisters have been dug and much of the great hall has been smoothed. Food and drink is an issue, we have a hunter shooting things and a plat gatherer hopefully finding something non-poisonous to plant (or brew). Much of the abbey is choked in rubble from the excavation, though that is being turned into crafts and blocks at a steady rate. The first pillars of the future entryway have been built.

Things are progressing rapidly, and somewhat luckily. We have a weaponsmith, armorsmith, blacksmith, and metalcrafter now, as well as four new doctors for the medical team. About half the abbey's populace has no residence, mostly those lucky enough to be peasantry actually. Only our medical team, and the chief of agriculture has their homes dug. 

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15980 on: September 01, 2011, 09:54:55 pm »

This is the first time I saw a dwarf rage. I was checking the mood of my hammerman throughout a fight with skeletal deer which were delaying the project. He dodged down a z level, and his mood went from ecstatic to miserable. I was very very scared, because he is probably my best soldier so a tantrum from him could mean he'd face the death sentence. Once he was no longer stunned he ran around back up to the skeletons and one shot'ed the first one (this gave him the first official kill of the fort) and broke the second one. He calmed down and went from miserable to ecstatic with the announcement of him ending rage. You can imagine my relief when I realized he wasn't going to slaughter my fort.

I later lost a spearman and one of my only war badgers to a skeer. Despite skeletal distractions the first part of project FalterFall has been completed but the river'll need to thaw before I can call this a success (and by extension move to phase 2).
Spoiler: Progress Report (click to show/hide)
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Specter513

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15981 on: September 01, 2011, 10:06:51 pm »

I'm new to Dwarf Fortress, so I'm still getting the basics, but after watching a couple of tutorials, my fort has survived one year without anything attacking. in fact, the only bad thing is the dwarven liason, who just won't leave my expedition leader alone.
Leprechauns actually. That "magically delicious taste" prefstring soon lead to their total extinction.
Congratulations, you killed the only things considered dominant and have heralded the end of civilization in your world as you know it.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15982 on: September 01, 2011, 10:17:05 pm »

I'm new to Dwarf Fortress, so I'm still getting the basics, but after watching a couple of tutorials, my fort has survived one year without anything attacking. in fact, the only bad thing is the dwarven liason, who just won't leave my expedition leader alone.
The Liason wants to talk about what kind of goods the caravan is going to bring and pay extra for next year, you need to get your expedition leader to sit still.

Specter513

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15983 on: September 01, 2011, 10:47:39 pm »

The Liason wants to talk about what kind of goods the caravan is going to bring and pay extra for next year, you need to get your expedition leader to sit still.
Ah. Well, I have my leader and miner digging out around 1000 blocks right now, so that might be awhile.
Leprechauns actually. That "magically delicious taste" prefstring soon lead to their total extinction.
Congratulations, you killed the only things considered dominant and have heralded the end of civilization in your world as you know it.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15984 on: September 01, 2011, 11:49:30 pm »

Finally got around to cleaning out my jammed up obsidian caster.   (and also found out why my masons won't make obsidian blocks)

While doing so I mis-indicated a square to be channeled and a miner caused a small cave-in inside the caster.  Down 1 z-level to the floor (bruised guts, bruised heart, broken shoulder), into a bit of leftover magma at 1/7, and then *through*  :o the floor into the first cavern lying directly below that level.  Four more z-levels of open space and then right into 7/7 of water of an underground lake.  Stunned, Nauseous, and Drowning - and not a swimmer.  I queued up the memorial slab even before she finished drowning.  :(

Soon afterwards a ghostly dwarven child turned up to haunt his parents.  No clue or idea where or when he died - and no sign of a body anywhere.  So queue up another slab for the catacombs.   ???

Otherwise things are the economy rolling along, my militia training, my armorer making more steel and candy gear, and doing some further exploring of the caverns.  (Where I have found a few FB "treed in" by fungi-trees blocking all their movement routes.)  And one FB appears to have a "boiling extract" effect - looks like a steam kettle moving around down there.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15985 on: September 02, 2011, 12:09:55 am »

An elf swordmaster and other elves with swords, all riding giant badgers, are attacking my fortress.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15986 on: September 02, 2011, 12:17:45 am »

How many survivors, and what is the status?

Well, I lost another one to insanity, bringing me down to five, but then managed to get things stabilzed...
But then I left DF running and someone restarted the computer, losing me a fair bit of progress. ::)
So now I'm back on six dwarves, and I know from experience that the lava is about to fall down and start obsidianizing the brook, miles below everything else. D: I'm amazed my FPS hasn't died at this rate!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15987 on: September 02, 2011, 07:05:56 am »

I think i just my first truly useful Artifact. Artifact steel leggings!

Greaves would have been better. :P

Ah. Well, I have my leader and miner digging out around 1000 blocks right now, so that might be awhile.
This will probably result in the liaison getting fed up with your rude-ass expedition leader and leaving. Meaning the caravan won't be as useful to you as it could be. My advice is to tell the expedition leader to stop mining/anything else for a moment to talk things over with the liaison.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15988 on: September 02, 2011, 07:15:08 am »

Something is horribly wrong with my fort, I've had one siege two semi mega beasts and two FB's none of which caused any significant damage or lasted for more than a season. In my spare time I built a sprawling above ground fort with a bed, table, chair, cabinet, and coffer of superior quality or above for every dwarf therein. I have a massive stockpile of masterfully prepared meals, two squads of swordsman in masterfully worked steel, two squads of archers in masterwork silk robes, and a trap tunnel lined with 10+ serrated steel disk traps made with masterwork mechanisms and armed with masterwork weapons. I built a goddamn paradise but there's no Fun! What am I supposed to do with a successful colony?  *sigh* Well at least I can take solace in the fact I'm turning it into a ghost farm.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15989 on: September 02, 2011, 07:31:14 am »

I have sort of the same. It's working somewhat too well, so I'm abandoning. Okay, it's not actually going VERY well, a new siege might very easily be the end of it, but I really can't be arsed to mine and then tweeze out adamantine strands and create gear and all that shit.

But then I left DF running and someone restarted the computer, losing me a fair bit of progress. ::)
What kind of person goes around restarting computers all willy-nilly?

Edit2; lovely location for a new fortress. Lots of wood, bamboo for if I'd capture pandas, river, clay and a sedimentary layer (tetrahedrite was my first you have struck message) and a woodcutter somehow finds themselves so enraged by a tail with teeth that he or she jumps into the river to sort the sea lamprey out. He or she loses and drowns, even though I dug an escape staircase. In my rage I abandoned.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 07:55:01 am by FrisianDude »
Pages: 1 ... 1064 1065 [1066] 1067 1068 ... 3842