Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1066 1067 [1068] 1069 1070 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6094289 times)

immanuel

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #16005 on: September 02, 2011, 02:52:08 pm »

Embarked on a haunted glacier, and was immediately set upon by a blizzard man.  We chased him off without too much damage, but a second one jumped us as we were carving out a meager shelter in the ice.  This one killed most of our dogs, and in their thirst for vengeance a couple of dwarves chased him across the map, where he rallied and proceeded to chew them both apart, then came back for more.  My axedwaf eventually took him out, but then went berzerk and had to be put down with a pick to the skull.  During all this time I've barely managed to carve out a crude dormitory and stockpile, and haven't even been able to carry all my supplies inside let alone set up traps or a gate.  After some more encounters with hostile wildlife I'm down to two dwarves, one of whom is crippled and bleeding out in the snow while the surviving miner frantically tries to make the fortress livable before he goes mad.  Rakust is interrupted from his labors by a Yeti this time, and battles the giant beast amid clouds of miasma in the main hall of the fortress.  He brings it down, but by now his one surviving companion has succumbed to melancholy and limps the halls murmuring and emaciated.  He finally dies of thirst, and joins the many frozen corpses littering the landscape.  Rakust labors on alone for a time, periodically succumbing to fits of rage and throwing about furniture and equipment.  In his moments of clarity he carves out simple tombs for his dead brothers and builds coffins from jet mined below the layers of ice, but not fast enough - he is soon haunted by the ghosts of his unburied friends.

Choking on miasma, freezing, and harried by ghosts, Rakust finally succumbs to melancholy.  Time passes.  Soon a family of migrants arrive, evidently unaware of the doom that has befallen this colony.  They find Rakust wandering the litter-strewn halls in rags, clutching a yeti skull and oblivious to the terrible ghosts that share his home. 

Alas, due to a bug Rakust's expedition leader status didn't pass on to the new migrants (who only entered the scene AFTER he had gone crazy), so the colony was unmanageable without nobles.  I stuck with the fortress long enough to carve out Rakust a proper tomb and inter him with his treasures before abandoning the place back to the snows. 

MonsteR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16006 on: September 02, 2011, 02:53:45 pm »

Finally found a good embark with tons upon tons of magnetite and limestone, so my metal industry is set. Just got made a barony. Looking at the civs screen is a laugh, the Human General and several of their Lords are all drunks xD
My civ Queen is a drunk.

I think I should hold some of their caravans ransom and perhaps test my defenses against the worst coordinated siege of all time :D

Malarauko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16007 on: September 02, 2011, 03:30:54 pm »

Just got a breeding pair of hunting leopards. Also building a huge project to divert the river into my cistern/resevoir which should provide all the water I need for my future plans. Also I got an invasion which went quite well as my ultra tough militia squad basically slaughtered the three big groups of goblins one by one.
Dwarf Fortress - Losing is fun.

eryq111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16008 on: September 02, 2011, 04:33:53 pm »

Finally found a good embark with tons upon tons of magnetite and limestone, so my metal industry is set. Just got made a barony. Looking at the civs screen is a laugh, the Human General and several of their Lords are all drunks xD
My civ Queen is a drunk.

I think I should hold some of their caravans ransom and perhaps test my defenses against the worst coordinated siege of all time :D
"We the Bleary Eyed Coalition have come and laid siege to you dwarves and demand the immediate... uh what did we come here for?"
"I don't know sir you flew into an inconsolable rage and insisted we attack this settlement"
"(Incomprehensible grumbling )"
"Sir are you sleeping in the saddle? "
"You think you're better n me?"

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16009 on: September 02, 2011, 04:51:48 pm »

14 undead all spawned and attacked killing 2 of my militia initially. I ordered all squads to gear up and kill everything on the kill list. I forgot that liaisons are also on that list, and this started a loyalty cascade with dwarves killing dwarves and my militia being right out monsters. The undead above and below are no longer the main threat. A population of over 50 was reduced to 26 in 2 minutes. I am locking down the fort and all dwarves in rooms with doors until the death settles.

My favorite hammer dwarf has killed 7 dwarfs with only a scratch, so I've renamed him 'Hammer' [Whisper Anvils the Banner of Waddle], Dwarf Slayer (his title is the [], so appropriate :P)
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Eктωρ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16010 on: September 02, 2011, 04:51:55 pm »

Hey carpenteering is cool, oh what are those little grey "m"s down there?
Are those Rhesus Macacaques, is that my stockpile? FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
Ektor is in a constant state of internal rage

Table Turning

• Bay Watcher
  • Turnways.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16011 on: September 02, 2011, 05:00:47 pm »

Giant: "Can't escape...wooden bars...too strong...all hope is lost..."
Thats another use for useless immigrants.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16012 on: September 02, 2011, 05:08:36 pm »

For a while now, I've been recruiting most of my migrants into my two "Tryout Squads", The Dangerous Roads and The Copper Eyes.  They are unarmed and don't have barracks, but on a regular basis, they get locked in a room with several goblins/trolls/whatever I have in cages.  Since I've never gotten the hang of taking goblins' weapons away, it usually takes the squad a while to win, and there are usually heavy casualties.

Today, the Copper Eyes fought two lashers, a maceman, and a Troll.  After a few minutes, it was down to 8 or 9 squad members (all severely wounded), the Troll, and one lasher (responsible for most of the injuries).  Unfortunately, the troll managed to be left alone long enough to break down the door.  I immediately sent my flagship squad, the Severity of Work, to stand guard, in case the Troll escaped.

Before the troll could escape, two of my soldiers went running out the door!  I immediately gave them each the custom title, "Disgrace" - I'll decide what to do with them later.  The troll started to leave, but a a macedwarf managed to distract him and lure him back in the room.  Eventually, the troll did escape, and the macedwarf chased him down the corridors, despite his many injuries.  I think the militia commander ended up killing the troll, but I gave the the macedwarf a promotion.   8)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 05:20:02 pm by BodyGripper »
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16013 on: September 02, 2011, 06:02:58 pm »

The cascade of death and decay went on for over 2 months from start to finish. Due to the miasma I am declaring upper Nutgilt uninhabitable, and am moving my dwarfs into the jailing area. We've connected several places to it with tunneling, the hospital and all rooms to start. The farming area is condemned and Hammer the Dwarf Slayer with it (he's about to starve/dehydrate and is missing a leg). The elves, wild elves (forest retreat), and scorpiomen caravans arrived soon after the decision. They will not be bothered with, Nutgilt is in lockdown. Maybe in the years to come we can reclaim it, but for now we lock ourselves in.
ArkFallen,
Overseer of Nutgilt: Third Year
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16014 on: September 02, 2011, 06:40:48 pm »

Squashedaxe - first fort in about 6 months.

Thought - this is easy, with my 70 dwarves defended by a river gorge with only one bridge.  Forgot I had the Fortress Defence mod installed, and was killed by THREE sieges of flying harpy things in my second year.

Well, not dead yet, but the 21 survivors are running madly around insane, hungry and dehydrated.  In the excitement of sieges, traders, migrants and moodiness, I let the beer stocks run down.... I think that was the main problem...

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

kenpoaj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16015 on: September 02, 2011, 06:54:29 pm »

Today I learned that coffins can only hold 6 body parts. I had several dwarves fall ~20z in a pump stack collapsing incident, and they each splattered into ~30 body parts. 6 of which are in coffins, the rest are in my graveyard. I wonder if they will generate ghosts, or count as put to rest.
This forum is a bunch of nutters, and you couldn't point to anything to contradict it.

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16016 on: September 02, 2011, 07:02:02 pm »

Today I learned that coffins can only hold 6 body parts. I had several dwarves fall ~20z in a pump stack collapsing incident, and they each splattered into ~30 body parts. 6 of which are in coffins, the rest are in my graveyard. I wonder if they will generate ghosts, or count as put to rest.

Makes you wonder how they all fit when still attached to the dwarf, eh?
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16017 on: September 02, 2011, 07:04:42 pm »

Makes you wonder how they all fit when still attached to the dwarf, eh?

Space-time dilation.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16018 on: September 02, 2011, 08:09:13 pm »

Accidental science shows that armor serves very well to nullify even moderate distance falls, and it even mitigates harm from spikes made of lower quality materials.  Unarmored bits are still at risk however.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In other news one of my soldiers decided he would rather jump into a 3 z-level deep pit full of spikes instead of take a weak punch from a one armed, barely conscious goblin.  I blame society.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16019 on: September 02, 2011, 08:26:48 pm »

Set up a defense wall in my caverns and had an FB stop by. It seems that there was one diagonal section of wall that wasn't blocked and he sneaked through. He then killed a presser and was promptly pwned by the first soldier to arrive. Then the game crashed.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))
Pages: 1 ... 1066 1067 [1068] 1069 1070 ... 3842