Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1007 1008 [1009] 1010 1011 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6128167 times)

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #15120 on: August 05, 2011, 11:22:26 am »

Workclimax is now at 50 dwarves and fought off its first ambush.  The enemy forces consisted of 6 bowgobs led by a hammergob.  I *thought* I had walled up the courtyard securely... but I forgot about the one hill behind the fortress, which the bowgobs immediately set-up camp on and began raining arrows onto my dwarves.  I was a bit nervous, since I don't use danger rooms and I wasn't expecting ranged enemies to be the first encountered. 

One mason was cut down immediately, while my 2 melee squads scrambled out of the gate while being peppered with arrows.  My marksdwarf squad got in position and began to shoot back, led by the huntress/militia captain named Sureshot.  I think she only killed one with a headshot, but she grievously wounded several others in the leg, knocking them to the ground while my militia commander, Strongarm, brained them.  The 4 veterans among the 11-dwarf militia dodged and/or blocked all the arrows, but the remainder got wounded, with the most serious being a shot to the stomach. 

Naturally, while my soldiers were bleeding in the hospital, Feverfew the chief medical officer was partying it up.  I had a hauler yank the room designation table, putting an abrupt stop to that.  I like to imagine a dwarf throwing a mini-tantrum and kicked the refreshments table over.  Anyway, Feverfew finally got to work and patched everyone up.  Everyone is now out of the hospital, with the exception of the nearly disemboweled dwarf who is still resting.  No one suffered any motor nerve damage, so that's a plus. 

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15121 on: August 05, 2011, 11:26:50 am »

Freecraft: Spring 253=

Construction=
We have finished digging out our soil level and have started mining out ore.  We have discovered some cobaltite which will serve to produce decent weapons and armor for the time being.  We have finished our outer wall and are finishing our outer defenses.  We had a close call with a lack of food (wasn't paying attention) but that has been remedied.

Production=
Started in on our metal industry, revamping our food industry so we don't run into similar problems as before.

Combat=
Strangely none.. Its starting to leave me worried.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15122 on: August 05, 2011, 11:30:51 am »

We have discovered some cobaltite which will serve to produce decent weapons and armor for the time being.
What workable metal is smelted from cobaltite?  I glanced at the wiki (which could be outdated) and saw nothing.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15123 on: August 05, 2011, 11:47:08 am »

I've looked up the mineral on Wikipedia. I says that Cobaltite is an ore of nickel, with around 10% iron. Perhaps he modded the stone to drop those metals.

In my Civ Forge Cave Challenge fort...
Great. The Blue Stuff (aka Adamantine). Not diggin' it up, for fear I might hit HFS ill-prepared.

Construction:
Depends on your definition. Digging out 5x5 rooms for my dwarfs and chopping down giant shrooms for beds. I have a Magma Tube which, sadly, breaches the Great Magma Sea.

Production:
Not bloody much, since we just got here.

Expansion:
No plans for now.

Combat:
None yet, but I fear a Magma Crab skirmish.

Plans:
Digging out areas for housing, production, and storage. Building farms to plant all of the classic DF crops plus the new Civ Forge crops. One plot per crop I wish to plant, as the mod allows all below-ground plants to grow in all seasons.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15124 on: August 05, 2011, 12:07:19 pm »

What workable metal is smelted from cobaltite?  I glanced at the wiki (which could be outdated) and saw nothing.

Its from the dig deeper mod.

Had my fist siege (dark stranglers, not too strong a group), routed them completely even with an uniquipped military, not even any serious injury beyond scrapes and cuts.  Managed to protect the elf caravan in the process.

HA! Best of all you can butcher dark stranglers! Food for all!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 12:10:26 pm by Mickey Blue »

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15125 on: August 05, 2011, 12:20:00 pm »

Playing the HP Lovecraft mod. I have expansive aboveground vineyards to sustain my 80 alcoholic ex-librarians on the run from eldritch horrors. Cultists stole a baby a while ago, which was unsettling. They returned in force, but were driven away by rifle fire from my containing wall. It took forever to build, but paid off in spades. I didn't bring down any of them, unfortunately.

I have no iron or copper, but I have tin, zinc, gold, and silver up to my neck. Which is pretty nice. I trade for copper and make bronze weapons. Armor is limited to helmets and leather boots/gloves, which makes my legendary armorsmith pretty useless. Bronze rifles and silver bullets seem to work rather well against similarly unarmored cultists.

Mobotium

• Bay Watcher
  • I dont know who you are.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15126 on: August 05, 2011, 12:20:33 pm »

I made a big clay farming area and was going to expose it to the sun through chaneling from above. The rusulting cave in, however, tore a hole through the farms and the main dinning hall bellow it, stopinf in the residential district. All of these were still unused so no lives were lost, but now I have my two engravers smooting the floor beside my masons who are rebuilding it.

Urist McOverseer: So, what do you do here?
Urist McMason: Me? I Repair holes.
Yes he is... So the countess will never bread?
If she doesnt bread, let her cake.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15127 on: August 05, 2011, 12:34:36 pm »

My Tanner has created a masterpiece! A Dark Strangler Leather Mitten, its decorated with Dark Strangler leather and hickory.

Not worth much, but a good trophy from our first siege.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15128 on: August 05, 2011, 12:40:53 pm »

I finally have a fort above 100 dwarves, and I am current working on a well-cleaning system that can flood the well area every now and then to keep it clean.
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15129 on: August 05, 2011, 01:02:14 pm »

Excellent Excellent! Inform the king that food stores are up, brew flows through the fortress, weapon and armor production have been initiated, and defenses have been almost completely finished.  We are training ten melee combat dwarves and five archers, we will be victorious!

We have been hit with a second siege, beak wolves this time, we overcame them easily with only one loss before we routed them.  We will continue training until we are unbeatable!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 01:05:44 pm by Mickey Blue »

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #15130 on: August 05, 2011, 01:15:13 pm »

Have magma production set up, gonna have to pump some magma upwards, since dwarves will get thirsty or hungry half way down to the sea and go back.

Urist McLazyass: "You think we should go smelt some magma like the overseer told us too?"

Urist McLazyBuddy: "Nah, I'm thirsty. Lets go back and get some booze."

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15131 on: August 05, 2011, 01:55:11 pm »

I should be getting my first siege in DF2010 soon... I hope my hospital has enough beds!

One of my warriors was caught in a goblin ambush and got his foot lopped off, but managed to scramble away before he got killed. Was given crutches, and promptly went to the barracks to show those chumps the right way to punch someone.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Weary Exile

• Bay Watcher
  • Beard Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15132 on: August 05, 2011, 01:57:47 pm »

Just looked at my engravings and found this:

A thread? A thread???
It's like regular childcare, except with more dogs, and less care.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15133 on: August 05, 2011, 02:41:25 pm »

HAHA! Two sieges of beak wolves at the same time, over two dozen enemies, they broke on our militia like water and fled into the hills, we haven't even gotten archers yet!

Bah, as I was writing a group of cowardly goblins ambushed our wounded on the battlefield.  We fought them off but not before they took down three of our soldiers..
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 02:46:07 pm by Mickey Blue »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15134 on: August 05, 2011, 02:52:37 pm »

Just looked at my engravings and found this:

A thread? A thread???

Obviously the mermaid thread.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 ... 1007 1008 [1009] 1010 1011 ... 3842