Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 914 915 [916] 917 918 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6114303 times)

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #13725 on: June 01, 2011, 03:56:23 pm »

Just lost my legendary miner to my own stupidity.

It was partly his stupidity as well, but I already knew of dwarven stupidity, so I should have accounted for it.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13726 on: June 01, 2011, 05:03:22 pm »

I just found out that my bridge does no good during the winter because the brook (which I had channeled out so that nothing could pass over it) is frozen, creating a path for the enemy.
Trying to figure out how to deal with that now...

Brooks can be passed upon at any time by anyone. So no barrier for your fortress, you would want a stream or river for this.
If you channel the top of a brook, it becomes impassable.
I was doing this, up until I realized that it would still be passable when frozen. Now I'm waiting till winter, and then channeling out a block beneath the river. Hopefully that way the next time it freezes there won't be anything to walk across. Edit: Of course, that won't work because of water pressure issues. I might need to deconstruct my bridge and then create a complicated wall+ramp system. Ugh.
According to the wiki, you can dam a river without flooding, and I assume it works for brooks(it does not work for the lower end of a natural waterfall). However, I did dam the stream I got with a solid line of floodgates, and the water just flows past it. Am I supposed to pave the river?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13727 on: June 01, 2011, 05:26:37 pm »

I was worried about my framerate, thankfully I was just flooding my fort with magma.

Ah yes. Always a good alternative to framerate issues.

On the subject of my fortress... my dorves seem to be randomly dying of thirst. Could that be a result of the FB ichor that got spread around about a year ago?
[Signature]

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13728 on: June 01, 2011, 05:43:36 pm »

Assuming that it's not having run out of booze and your dwarves prefering to die than go for water(which apparently happens), then yes, it's likely that an FB syndrome is causing them to vomit to dehydration very quickly. Check for oceans puddles of vomit.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13729 on: June 01, 2011, 07:14:30 pm »

Had a mild syndrome from a titan; caused widespread blistering and blood loss, although eight of the ten soldiers affected shrugged it off.  The other two were unfortunately lost...fortunately we've had plenty of new peasants as kids grow up.

Also, if great-grandparents are dead they do not show up in the relation list (if at all, although no other fourth-generation dwarves have been born to other families.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 07:44:59 pm by Vercingetorix »
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13730 on: June 01, 2011, 07:21:21 pm »

Assuming that it's not having run out of booze and your dwarves prefering to die than go for water(which apparently happens), then yes, it's likely that an FB syndrome is causing them to vomit to dehydration very quickly. Check for oceans puddles of vomit.

Hmm... I've got plenty of booze and plants (although the dorfs keep removing my brewing orders for some reason). I do recall seeing some strange vomit in the meeting hall, but I assumed that was something to do with my tantrum spiral.

EDIT: I just looked at one of the corpses, and it's mutilated and covered in FB extract. Looks like that problem's solved then :D
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 07:38:19 pm by Tharwen »
[Signature]

Moonshadow101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13731 on: June 01, 2011, 08:14:33 pm »

Migrant wave arrives in early spring, decides to take the frozen river route to fortress.

You can guess where this is going. Eight of them drowned.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13732 on: June 01, 2011, 08:21:05 pm »

According to the wiki, you can dam a river without flooding, and I assume it works for brooks(it does not work for the lower end of a natural waterfall). However, I did dam the stream I got with a solid line of floodgates, and the water just flows past it. Am I supposed to pave the river?

1) Are there any diagonals it could be sneaking through to get to the other side? I assume you'd have caught that, and it doesn't hurt to double check.
2) Are you sure it's flowing past? Water takes FOREVER to drain from streams and such, in my experience, and appears to continue flowing until there's less than 2/7 water present. :P It may be a while before the downstream side of your dam appears to be less than 7/7, especially if you dammed it up near the point the water enters the map.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

PFactorial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13733 on: June 01, 2011, 08:51:51 pm »

I'm trying to find a cavern. None yet.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13734 on: June 01, 2011, 08:52:43 pm »

1) Are there any diagonals it could be sneaking through to get to the other side? I assume you'd have caught that, and it doesn't hurt to double check.
2) Are you sure it's flowing past? Water takes FOREVER to drain from streams and such, in my experience, and appears to continue flowing until there's less than 2/7 water present. :P It may be a while before the downstream side of your dam appears to be less than 7/7, especially if you dammed it up near the point the water enters the map.
1. No.
2. Possibly. How long does it usually take? I think it's only late Spring right now and the downstream part of the river has only just thawed, so it could be that I'm too impatient.

To be honest, I'm not even sure why I'm damming the river. I already did what I needed to in the river, which was try and create a pressurized resevoir in the fortress, which didn't work the way I planned(but still works, more or less).

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #13735 on: June 01, 2011, 08:57:29 pm »

1200 FB meat and counting. Eat up, Urists, you deserve it. Also, considering the meat came from toxic eldritch horrors, the decadent meals may well be your last.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13736 on: June 01, 2011, 09:07:25 pm »

Lesson learned: DO NOT STAND BETWEEN DWARF AND HIS BEER!
Awesome! He broke the siege JUST to get a drink. :D
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13737 on: June 01, 2011, 09:27:34 pm »

"Urist McDerpyderp has become the Mayor!"

>:(

>new game population cap 20
just be aware - you can still become a barony with a low cap.

My fort Empiresdikes recently had the doctor and her baby crushed in the trash compactor, and we're still struggling with the cage shortage. On the plus (?) side, our barony has turned into a county, even though we still have only 29 dwarves (13 of which are children). luckily I also had a nurse/broker, who has taken over his duties.

Because of the mediocre performance of a 6 z-level drop onto spikes, I'm raising the tower another 2 levels. it's a project... but at 119 fps, it shouldn't take too long. Hopefully I can get that fps back up when I destroy a few more objects.

I also found my leader was legendary in something. Since he has no jobs, I was curious what he is so amazing at, and apparently its' crutch walking. When my (now deceased) soldier was miserable, he ran over and stabbed Vabohk in the leg. The leader then (like the badass he is) consoled the poor guy. The now-dead doctor couldn't heal him, so he'll always have a very long straight scar in his upper leg.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

TheWealthyAardvark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13738 on: June 01, 2011, 11:18:24 pm »

Restarted at the beginning of autumn to be sure that I avoided whatever bug hit me last time. I'm trying to decide what I want my legendary miner to start training in when I train a second miner. I'm leaning towards clothier. I also got my migrant splash of three dwarves: an expert grower/accomplished butcher, a competent jeweler/weaponsmith, and a novice building designer/comedian. I like to imagine that the architect tries to pass off his shoddy work as a practical joke on his clients.
Quick, somebody who can pretend they know with a reasonable degree of believability hop in and act like they do!
You fucking rang?
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #13739 on: June 02, 2011, 12:03:04 am »

My 600 urist (six wheels two pumps) reactor is having some flow problems. My design was not as efficent as I thought and not all of the wheels are receiving 'flow' and so the output changes every few seconds. The mist generator I was planning on connecting it to cannot have the output dropping below the required limit or else it will drop the tile of water and I will have to refill it! So I have build a smaller 400 urist reactor (4 wheels 1 pump) to 'jump start' the other and mantain a decent output to power the mister. But the current water level does not provide enough movement to get the required 'flow' so I will have to fill it more and wait until it increases from 50% to 100%. Let's hope this doesnt come and bite me in the arse...

Also my Duke, Erib Stettadetur (taxboulders - very approprate) is wearing only his pants, cloack, hood and mittens. All pieces are XXPiecesXX and he is curretly attending a party with with about 25 others. Also there are children there who are wearing nothing. NOTHING! Do I want to know what the hell happens at a Dwarven party?
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.
Pages: 1 ... 914 915 [916] 917 918 ... 3842