Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 886 887 [888] 889 890 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6112284 times)

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #13305 on: May 13, 2011, 11:23:39 pm »

I started a fort to do some science concerning the idea of an adventure mode "bank" complete with levers that activate bridges to seal off rooms with gold coins, armor etc in them. It went okay for a few years, though it was often unhappier than all of my other forts (got my first "fell mood" here), as I always found some reason to put off abandoning it completely. Beginning in the spring of 255, three years in, I got hit by several sieges in a row, each of which took a successively larger toll on the fort. By the latest siege the goblin horde had taken over a significant portion of the ground level of the fort, stopped only by my bridges. Things were going okay inside the citadel, but since the enemy had sealed my dwarves off from previously established food, armor, and weapon stockpiles, I decided to try to dig through the natural walls and wall off the hallways into the fort.

Bad idea.

The first try was a narrow miss, but the second time the full force poured through the openings and rampaged through the main halls. Trolls smashed dining rooms and toppled statues, some random wrestler guy ran straight through a whole group of goblins and trolls in a narrow hallway, and what I thought would be the last group of dwarves to be alive in the fort huddled inside one of the vaults with a ghost for company. I thought it was going to be the end: it felt like the apocalypse. But eventually the besiegers lost interested and trickled away, leaving only a few trolls not doing much of anything who were easily dispatched by the remaining dwarves.

After all the cleanup I've finally got some idlers and seven migrants arrived--I wish they could have some kind of reaction to walking into a meeting area littered with dwarf corpses--but the horror is not over. Dwarves are intermittently throwing tantrums, my mayor just killed another dwarf, ghosts are following people around--one ghost, the ghost of the dwarf who went into the fell mood, killed a dwarven baby, and made a dwarf bone ring from it--scared a guy to death not too long ago.

All this, and I wonder if it could have been averted if I had set the dwarves to gather refuse from outside, thus removing a goblin corpse that was blocking a doorway, allowing a wall to be built in my above-ground tower, thus preventing goblins from getting into the fort during that last attempt to reclaim some rooms.

Freaking awesome. This is almost my own boatmurdered.
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #13306 on: May 14, 2011, 12:11:21 am »

I'm so tired that I can barely see straight, but this was such an awesome battle that I couldn't NOT tell people about it while it was still fresh in my mind...

Once more the goblins struck, and once more the Abbey of Sorrow turned them away. As soon as word reached the fort, the civilians all rushed below to take refuge in the dining hall. Word had spread that the goblins had brought more trolls than we had cages, but that wasn't all. Among their numbers was a Master Lasher, a Master Bowman, a Master Pikeman, and last but not least, their General. We were up against the best that they had to offer.
A lever was pulled, the outer door slammed shut. The army gathered in the main room, and waited.
Outside, our Queen's caravan was slaughtered. Though the guards only managed to slay a single goblin, they did something far more valuable: They bought us time, and they also broke the general's foot.

In the main room, the soldiers listened as first the limestone door was torn from its hinges and then the guard wolf's pitiful howls were cut painfully short. End then they charged. In caverns filled with falling rocks, cage traps, and the dried blood and vomit of former battles, the dwarves worked to drive their opponents back.
While three of the squads worked to hold back the tide of goblins, three other squads worked to pick off choice targets. Aeren cut a bloody swath through the caverns with "Righty" and "Lefty", so named for their missing hands, followed in his wake laying waste to anything that still moved. Kogsak the Unwilling, a peasant boy who had been forced into service mere days before the attack landed the killing blow on a troll, and mere moments after the battle began the goblins, deprived of their leader who was still crawling about atop the mountain, turned and fled.
As the Uncommon Diamonds, the Lean Staves, the Exalted Tongs, and the Skies of Paint cut down their fleeing foes, Aeren and the Stormy Salves left the field of battle in search of Azstrog Enteredmalice, the general. On account of being the least injured of the group, Aeren arrived first. The General was felled with a quick, clean blow to the head.

Now, the question is: Deprived of their general, with their best warriors slain, will the goblins attack again?
I seriously hope not. And if they do, I hope they wait a long time. Maybe two or three immigrant waves.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13307 on: May 14, 2011, 12:28:47 am »

Had to abandon a few forts in rapid succession due to Rocs, baby giants, and FPS issues.

In the current fort, I noticed that all the haulers were slacking off in the meeting area with nothing to do. So I ordered all stone to be dumped into the communal atomsmasher to both give them something to do and to improve the all-important FPS. What ensued can only be described as a swarm of dwarves heading into the mines. It was glorious.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13308 on: May 14, 2011, 02:24:16 am »

Currently? Massive tantrum spiral.

My fortress was going so well, too. Then a recruit tantrumed, punched an axedwarf and it just went to hell from there.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13309 on: May 14, 2011, 02:31:56 am »

My fortress was going so well, too. Then a recruit tantrumed, punched an axedwarf and it just went to hell from there.
The fate of many a fortress...

I'm trying to finish a residential tower while planning on how to create some work for all of the 40/91 idlers. I'm also waiting for the militia to finally die from the several months old infection they got while assaulting a band of pike- and speargoblins.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13310 on: May 14, 2011, 02:45:25 am »

Currently am cleaning all the crap from the sieges.

Though there's some iron in here, and even the putrid blendecs brought me steel !

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13311 on: May 14, 2011, 03:00:18 am »

The fate of many a fortress...

I'm trying to finish a residential tower while planning on how to create some work for all of the 40/91 idlers. I'm also waiting for the militia to finally die from the several months old infection they got while assaulting a band of pike- and speargoblins.
I wish I knew just what set off the tantrum.

You could set them all to engraving? Smooth out and engrave every square inch of everything. They'll all end up ridiculously well levelled... then you arm them and go murder clowns.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

gzoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13312 on: May 14, 2011, 04:49:06 am »

...Datanmishos is now six years old. It had a rough start, three died right after embark. The horses kicked them into the lake, and they have been haunting us since. The first two years was hard. Without farms, food production couldn't keep up with the growing numbers. We run out of booze before the first caravan. Starvation, no booze, drinking lake water from a hole in the ground, still, we mined out half the fortress, and built several workshops.
The third year was good. Everyone got a place to sleep, and we finished the the irrigation system. Everyone was working on the farms, we were so happy when the first plump helmets were being harvested. And even happier for those few barrels of wine. Life was simple for the thirty of us.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Then it happened. A wave of migrants got themselves ambushed. They should have traveled quietly. - I tell this to their ghosts everytime they wake me up at night.
Only a few of the dwarven kind came after this, but not the goblins. The easy life was over, the war of our time has started.
Commander Besmar was back in charge. He gathered us and gave everyone their orders. He picked a few of us, and gave us weapons. That day i became a soldier.
The fourth year we started mining down. We breached a cavern, I had scouted it myself. From the nether-caps i guess the deepest one in the area. I found a magma pipe. We built the smelting and smithing area there. When the charts were complete, we sealed the cavern. I saw some nasty beasts there. Some of them as old as the rocks themselves. When i told about them to Commander Besmar, he had an idea. We were constantly sieged that time, not just goblins but beakwolves, and stranglers. The trail of the moving armies led them to us. We killed hundreds of them. We were not ready to fight face to face, so we used our wits. We built a small dungeon in the entrance and trapped every corridor. We controlled the doors, so they couldn't ever reach us. It was horrifying in the beginning, but after a while it became really funny.
The fifth year were spent on the Commanders idea. He wanted to catch those beasts from the caverns. We spent month building the traps, but those freaks got away all the time.

We learned from our mistakes...

Written on the sides of Minedshackle, the artifact steel puzzle box in the oldest dialect of the dwarfs.

-- So i have three FBs in the caverns. I guess i can trap them, we will see. I have questions though. One of them has webs. Can i make cloth from that? The other has deadly dust... and wings... but it can't fly. Is that normal? Also what is deadly spittle? :D first post here btw
Active Interactions: RAIDER_MADNESS

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13313 on: May 14, 2011, 05:03:39 am »

I was just laying down some obsidian cladding around a candy vein (which ended up sealing it off completely with water. Whoops) when a fire man jumped out. It ran straight through the booze stockpile with no explosions somehow, to attack my legendary carpenter, legendary armourer and legendary engraver (the same one who found the goblin ambush earlier). Why they were down there I have no idea. But just as it was breathing fire everywhere, my best militia captain came charging down the stairs, rugby tackled it from behind, and finished it off with his candy battleaxe.

He nearly died from the bleeding and burns afterward though...
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

FaultyLogic

• Bay Watcher
  • [EDIBLE_RAW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13314 on: May 14, 2011, 06:19:14 am »

Things are looking bleak in Hoofrooms, as the spirit of the populace is rapidly deteriorating. A few days ago, mayor Stinthäd got word a herd of Dralthas had made it into the stockpiles and were making the dwarves working there feel uneasy. Stinthäd was already in a dark mood. He ordered twenty of the idle dwarves to form a line and chase them back down the stairwell.

Soon, horrific screams were heard from the stockpile room. The dwarves had chased the Dralthas back and forth over the stairs but they never descended. Eventually they cornered one of the beasts and threw themselves at it. Every dwarf in Hoofrooms today knows that a draltha is horrendously strong. Mūkhat lost his right leg. Łshrir had his left arm torn off and Dorens right leg was broken by the thigh. The dwarves retreated, the draltha merely taking superficial wounds.

Weapons will be made for a second attempt at driving out they wild, cavernous cattle. In the meantime, the dralthas have now migrated to the meeting hall, mocking the miserable dwarves and tantruming mayor with their imposing presence.

EDIT: During all the commotion, a young lad named Stakūd had worked secretly in the craftshop. Eventually he emerged with a horse bone shield, which he calls "Spryspark, the domain of packs". On the shield is a picture of the shield.   
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 06:37:44 am by FaultyLogic »
"It's unpossible!"

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13315 on: May 14, 2011, 07:25:25 am »

Oh man, all these stories are awesome! :D I think I might start a new fort in a new world, my current fort Koshid is getting a little slow. Get me some crazy stories too, and finally work out how to make bloody traps... :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

FaultyLogic

• Bay Watcher
  • [EDIBLE_RAW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13316 on: May 14, 2011, 10:27:38 am »

I had to make a slight addition:

The dralthas continued to wreak havoc within the fort. One in particular that strolled about the meeting area of the dwarves, ocassionally sending out a hoof to cave in an unsuspecting dwarfs head. When a young child was killed the dwarves had enough. Twenty dwarves with fine swords made of obsidian but not much in the ways of protection attacked and struck down the beast. A few dwarves were gravelly injured however, a couple died of their wounds. Some further attempts where made at chasing down the two dralthas in the stockpiles, but the are was just too large to catch them in melee. It was somewhere along this point the dwarves snapped. Several of the recruits wen't mad with rage, cutting down their comrades left and right. The mayor tantrumed and started assaulting random dwarves until a miner drove his pick through his head. The few recruits that still tried to preserve order now had to fight the other recruits, as well as berserking civilians on every level. The medical dwarf tried his best to tend to the wounded, but was himself badly beaten. At the same time the farming area was finally completed, and they sudden flood of fresh booze calmed the situation to managable levels. But not before nearly twenty dwarves had died.

Some time later things are looking much better, save for a couple of tantrums. Lots of drink and fine meals are being made, and a fine catacomb has been dug out to give everyones friends and loved ones a respectable resting place.
"It's unpossible!"

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13317 on: May 14, 2011, 11:41:08 am »

My magma pump stack is finally completed! The pumps are all ready to go, and all I have to do now is wait while the masons make finishing touches on them. Then, I'll have my dwarves run the pumps to bring the magma all the way up to the surface, into a lava pool i'm building just outside my pit to Armok, which itself leads down to the magma tube from which I am pumping magma

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13318 on: May 14, 2011, 01:34:02 pm »

Building my first "mega"-project: An 8 z-level high, 16x17 step pyramid catacombs/temple. The stone of choice? Pitchblende.

Oh sure, I've found adamantine in all it's delicious raspberry cotton-candy glory, but I really love the idea of a radioactive shrine to all things dwarfy.

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13319 on: May 14, 2011, 01:48:47 pm »

Now that I have my lava on the surface, I'm experimenting with ways to get fire spread to the surrounding countryside, just because that's the kind of world a Dwarf would live in. Short of pumping magma up another z level, which would pose a threat to my pump operator, is there anyway to move the fire up a z-level?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 02:33:47 pm by Stoup »
Pages: 1 ... 886 887 [888] 889 890 ... 3842