Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 547 548 [549] 550 551 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6106730 times)

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #8220 on: November 23, 2010, 07:36:12 pm »

Ahaha! I've found the fattest tigerperson in existence!
"An orange striped man with the head of a tiger.
She bears untold amounts of fat over a gigantic frame. Her hair is striped orange and black. Her skin is pale pink. Her eyes are yellow."

I'm still deciding whether I should be capturing her(And putting her on display) or just eating her.
really tempted to make a rude comeback to that....  ah screw it, do both at the same time, everyone needs a little loving!
Nom nom nom

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #8221 on: November 23, 2010, 08:23:04 pm »

Ahaha! I've found the fattest tigerperson in existence!
"An orange striped man with the head of a tiger.
She bears untold amounts of fat over a gigantic frame. Her hair is striped orange and black. Her skin is pale pink. Her eyes are yellow."

I'm still deciding whether I should be capturing her(And putting her on display) or just eating her.

Tigermen can be designated to be slaughtered, but they're not butcherable, so your dwarves will never actually slaughter it. Best to just keep her as a pet/citizen of your fortress.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8222 on: November 23, 2010, 09:16:12 pm »

Part 8 of my LP us up.

Pretty much fuck all happened during this update. I had to cut it short due to the arrival of migrants. I suppose I could have worked them into this update, but it takes forever to examine their profiles and think of a way to work them into the narrative so I'm saving that for tomorrow.

I am pissed about the Demikraken getting away. I can't believe I saw one that isn't a bloody zombie. Catching it would have been great. Now all my cage traps are going to do is get clogged up with gazelles and warthogs.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8223 on: November 23, 2010, 09:25:34 pm »

I've found out what a few cleverly-placed cage traps can do, and have had to cull five elephants from the dozen or so caught at Hatchetbrew today.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8224 on: November 23, 2010, 09:27:25 pm »

I've enabled butchering of sapient creatures, so I think I'm OK with eating tigerpeople.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8225 on: November 23, 2010, 09:34:30 pm »

I've enabled butchering of sapient creatures, so I think I'm OK with eating tigerpeople.

I've been wondering, does descriptive text actually factor into how much meat a creature produces? Or how much fat it actually has on its body? Do skinny creatures provide less meat than fat ones? Do creatures with huge layers of fat have better natural armor because of it?
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8226 on: November 23, 2010, 09:46:26 pm »

I've been wondering, does descriptive text actually factor into how much meat a creature produces? Or how much fat it actually has on its body? Do skinny creatures provide less meat than fat ones? Do creatures with huge layers of fat have better natural armor because of it?
Extensive !!SCIENCE!! was done on the subject on a certain topic. It was .31+. The description does indeed provide more meat. That's why some people breed only gigantic and muscular creatures(The "meat" is actually muscle, apparently.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8227 on: November 23, 2010, 09:50:46 pm »

Extensive !!SCIENCE!! was done on the subject on a certain topic. It was .31+. The description does indeed provide more meat. That's why some people breed only gigantic and muscular creatures(The "meat" is actually muscle, apparently.
Is there any downside to a creature having tons of fat? Does it move slower, or become a bigger target? If not, then it seems like you would want everything to be as fat as possible since it acts as a sort of natural armor.
[NOPAIN] no gain.

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8228 on: November 23, 2010, 11:42:27 pm »

First Goblin siege of the new fort, only lost five dwarves in a bloody melee (lots of goblin lashers, you see), plus a sixth to infection about seven months later. Lots of hospital cases, but that just helped me stress-test the hospital system, which worked adequately.

Three goblins were captured in the process and, after setting up their cages and a lever, released nearly a year later for a live-combat exercise. Surprising absolutely nobody, the dwarves had only disarmed one of the goblins beforehand and all three still had their armor. :-\ Lost a recruit, but oh well.

I'm now building an archery tower so that my marksdwarves will be more effective. While I didn't lose any of them in the siege, they had to huddle behind the melee dwarves and only fired one or two bolts each before charging into melee. One of my marksdwarves has gotten to Legendary from off-duty Hunting and I'd like to capitalize on that.

Contemplating adding a [TRAINABLE] tag or whatever it is that lets you tame wild animals to foxes. I've already caught three in the cage traps I threw on a random plateau.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8229 on: November 24, 2010, 12:01:29 am »

Early Autumn of 503 at Ringquest, pop. 85  fps 29(20)

Just another fine day of fortress living. This summer I traded away an enormous stack of barrels of fish to the humans, and I learned something. Barrels of fish are heavy, compared to their worth. I had to buy an extra cow just to get all those barrels onto the human's carts. Well more milk and cheese is always good.

Finished excavating a major lignite vein, and turned the iron into a second row of serrated discs for the front entryway. What little extra iron there is, is being forged into a set of flasks for my military, to keep their spirits up on those long patrols.

Also, a new mayor has been elected, who immediately decided to express his royal mayorness by demanding we craft three lay pewter items, and make him a lay pewter cabinet for his bedroom. So I've ordered iron chains, and begun carving out a section of jail cells on the first floor to house the workers he's going to blame.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 03:52:59 am by AngleWyrm »

Tonic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8230 on: November 24, 2010, 12:32:45 am »

Workoutrage got its first goblin ambush, killing 2 of the 3-person squad.  This dwarf, prophetically named 'Hackman', accounted for the entire ambush, then got depressed and beheaded an engraver.  Soon, she was elected mayor.  To celebrate, she carved up a horse and left it to die in the dining room.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8231 on: November 24, 2010, 12:40:44 am »

I abandoned my old fort, Clashworks.  It was kinda buggy, plus I wanted to play in a .18 world.  My new fortress, Dreamnets, is in a haunted, freezing biome.  Should be neat.
Also, since I stopped worldgen after 75 years, this is the first time I've ever had a dwarf who was "one of the first of his kind".  I made sure he was the expedition leader, of course.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8232 on: November 24, 2010, 05:23:03 am »

Early Winter of 503 in the Town of Ringquest, pop. 93  fps 28(18)

Vucar the farmer, for two acts of vandalism and one act of disorderly conduct against an axe lord, was executed by the newly appointed Captain of the Guard. The new captain is a no nonsense dwarf, and wouldn't tolerate that kind of disrespect.

With the arrival of the Autumn caravan came three separate goblin ambushes, in teams of five, plus several thieves and snatchers. But due to careful planning, my military was already on patrol, and dispatched the trouble makers post haste. The caravan made it safely to our trading depot, and once again no civilians were lost.

We traded away a large shipment of dwarven syrup, sunshine and lavish meals for some lumber, iron and steel, cages and barrels, and bolts for the archers. Additionally, we made a deal for shipment of lay pewter, tin, copper and lead, because our new mayor has a lay pewter fetish.

Onul the woodworker, who died in the first goblin ambush years ago, has come back as a restless haunt. Vucar the farmer, who was recently executed, had a grudge with Onul. I bet the ghost was happy to see Vucar beaten to death. Maybe he even whispered encouragement to the Captain of the Guard, when he was pondering Vucar's punishment. We'll have to set up a memorial for our dead, as the graveyard is no longer enough to give the departed a resting place.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 05:51:57 am by AngleWyrm »

Herbiie

• Bay Watcher
  • Loyal Unto Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8233 on: November 24, 2010, 07:20:50 am »

*strike The earth!*

"Oh... my... god..."

"What the hell are those things!"

"They're getting closer!"

"Run Away!!!!"

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The once dark-grey walls are now the dark brown of stained blood. At either side of the path leading to the great granite gates is covered with the corpses and skeletons of Goblin invaders.
Some are still fresh. One is still moving.
As you approach the gate a nervous guard looses a bolt in your direction. Silence... Slowly, gradually, the huge doors screech open. Inside there is a courtyard, the floor wet with blood. Welcome to the front-line. Welcome; to Cloisteredwood.

Serio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8234 on: November 24, 2010, 07:49:40 am »

An ambush occured behind my walls. About five dwarves died before my squads could reach them, another couple died when they fled out of the gate. Now I'm just waiting for the tantrum spiral to occur.

EDIT: Doesn't look like I'll have to wait. The goblin army just returned to finish off the rest of the fortress. It wouldn't have been a problem, if the dwarves didn't prioritise gathering logs over pulling the blasted lever!

Update: Olin Itonezum, a proud gem cutter of Doomringed, has sealed himself inside the dormitories. He had only one friend, no other relationships. The population has dropped from 57 to 12, and this is how his information looks:

I'm going to wait a while with abandoning this fort. Just to see how long he survives.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 08:01:41 am by Serio »
Pages: 1 ... 547 548 [549] 550 551 ... 3842