Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 536 537 [538] 539 540 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6106713 times)

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #8055 on: November 18, 2010, 07:20:51 pm »

I keep getting High Master Bonecarver migrants. I've already got two legendaries and lack the (re)productive base to supply even those two with lots of bones.

A Snatcher grabbed a baby while the mother was out to get water. There was a swordsdwarf nearby, but he stumbled and let the snatcher get away. Said mother doesn't have any unhappy thoughts from the ordeal, somehow.

the great fool

• Bay Watcher
  • the Elf butcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8056 on: November 18, 2010, 08:06:17 pm »

Im building a small city suspended above a cavern in the middle of a Glacier, its fun to have a small warm utopia as the elements rage up above.
An Elf in a cage is worth two in the forest

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8057 on: November 18, 2010, 09:10:41 pm »

Well an ambush squad showed up, giving me my first opportunity to test out the new moat system. Works pretty damn well, even without hippos/zombies. Dumb goblins charged only to find the ground vanish beneath them and plunge them into freezing water. Two goblins managed to avoid stepping on the bridge though. I just sent my military to kill them. With a militia of 10 dwarves constantly being trained, surely two lowly goblins will be disposed of easily.

Of course not. Despite outnumbering them 10:2, the militia still managed to sustain major injuries. One dwarf even got killed. Just once I'd like to have a militia that isn't constantly disappointing me.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8058 on: November 18, 2010, 09:14:09 pm »

Late Summer of 501 at Outpost Ringquest, pop 9, fps 81(35)

With the farming area complete, I've taken one of the farmers off berry gathering detail, so he can plow the fields. Also, good news! I've struck lignite, so I've forged another pick for my forth miner.

Two summer migrants, a carpenter/armorsmith and a woodcutter/herbalist. I like 'em both. The herbalist is immediately sent to join the quest for sun berries, while the carpenter helps bring in logs.

So far no sun berries, but I'm not worried; my little outpost of nine is rolling in productivity.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8059 on: November 18, 2010, 09:18:39 pm »

Things have returned to normal (mostly) for Wipedchannels. Shifted the population cap from 100 to 150, so I've got immigrants coming again. Mayor Sibrek Hatchetwindy is pestering for rings and maces, which I've got dwarfs making anyway. Between the seasonal shipments of goblinite and the mass slaughter of livestock, I've got trade goods flying out of my ears and can afford everything I want-- even splurged on several bins of fabric from the elves, and am looking at making them into bags so my millers and plant processers will have something to do.

Some of my military dorfs are stealing food the way my kid brother did, so I'm punishing them the way my folks punished my kid brother... by closing the doors to their bedrooms and forcing them to live with it.

There's also a mass coffer production spree in the works, which will work better when the new masons' workshops go up. The mechanics are busy maintaining the cage traps, and I ended up making Urist McGCS my watch-animal instead of trying to set up a silk farm with him. Those in the military without any useful previous skills have had Weaving enabled so they can head down to the cavern and pick webs. My moody dwarves will never again be without silk at crucial moments!

The miners are busiest of all. Between mining out veins of more precious metals, coal, and cassiterite (Mayor Hatchetwindy also likes tin. A lot.), there are several projects in progress, such as underground tree farms, a secondary underground produce farm, a bigger hospital and a river-fed well. Happened upon a rather tremendous vein of magnetite which, once dug out, will provide many suits of steel armor and a nice big plot for the new farming operation. After that, who knows? Onward and downward to the next layer of caverns, maybe. Then the Magma Sea...
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 09:38:19 pm by proxn_punkd »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8060 on: November 18, 2010, 09:54:17 pm »

I just got my dream migrant wave:

1 cook
1 bone carver
1 throwaway dwarf to draft as a mason
1 woodcutter (with axe)
1 throwaway dwarf to draft as a tanner

My unicorn trap is about a third done. The new mason will hopefully speed up the process.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #8061 on: November 18, 2010, 10:36:44 pm »

In the seaside resort fortress of Bannerleague, I just traded about 100K worth of masterwork whale meat roasts for a fortune in diamonds, star rubies, emeralds, and other precious gems which will be used to build the windows of the grand dining room overlooking the ocean.  The captured school of whales will run out eventually, of course, but by the time they do the sea serpents which are now reproducing in captivity should be ready to begin being slaughtered.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8062 on: November 18, 2010, 11:21:23 pm »

Had a sudden epiphany.

You can capture purring maggots in animal traps to make dwarven cheese.  Why not capture a cave spider and drop a few in a room to produce silk?

So I breach the first cavern layer (without a military) to catch me some of the critters and 2 Giant Rats raiding my food stockpiles and causing insane amounts of interruption spam later. I eventually catch one.

I am overjoyed, soon my silk empire will be dominant.  I can't believe no-one ever thought of this before.  I have a room cleared out and the animal traps retrieved.  The room is finished and I order the spider to be dumped into the room.  The carpenter happily takes it out of it's trap and throws it into the room.

Right into the waiting jaws of the carpenter's kitten.  Which dutifully carried around my shattered hopes and dreams for a time before depositing it in the middle of the food stockpile.

I hate cats.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8063 on: November 19, 2010, 02:10:21 am »

My human neighbors have gone extinct.  :o

Judging by the engravings in my fort, I'd say it was one too many wars with the elves.

ETA: Forgotten Beast showed up in the fort. "Eh," says I. "It'll be a while before it hassles somebody."

Five minutes later: Urist McMiner cancels Dig, interrupted by Forgotten Beast.

DAMN THING WAS IN THE DINING HALL.

ETA x2: Urist McGCS served well during the goblin siege and two attacks by rhesus macaques, but has been injured beyond help. Let us all take a moment to remember this brave giant cave spider, who was with us but a short time...
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 03:22:54 am by proxn_punkd »

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8064 on: November 19, 2010, 02:28:01 am »

Trying out Genesis mod again.  Embarked on a Terrifying shrubland with a stream, whee.  Nice little waterfall too.

It's not even summer yet and I've already had accidents.  The mason has fallen not once but twice into the stream when she tried to construct the walls protecting the bridge the wrong way.  Surprisingly, she is not dead - she treaded water for an impressive amount of time until my miners dug a ramp for her.  And her only injuries are a red rib and...a blue (lost function) right ovary.

Now, the bedrooms are dug - finding the caverns - the farms are running, and I'm setting up shop.  Now I am considering paving over a section of stream to prevent more bridge-wall accidents.

Serio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8065 on: November 19, 2010, 03:42:08 am »

Turns out, the biggest threat to my military isn't the insane dwarves, goblins, forgotten beasts or ice cold water; It's the training spears in the danger room. One of my iron equipped dwarves just got impaled through the brain on one, and he's the first to die in that squad.

The airlock for the trading caravan has been finished as well. Now I can let the migrants run amok outside without risking giving them access to the fortress when a caravan arrives. I pray it arrives soon, because I need bags for my plaster, and other medical supplies. If the above incident is any indication of the safety of my fort, the Chief Medical Dwarf will be busy.

EDIT: Okay, danger rooms aren't a viable option for training the military any more. Another dwarf just got impaled on spikes in it.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 03:44:19 am by Serio »

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8066 on: November 19, 2010, 03:49:46 am »

Early Spring of 502 at Outpost Ringquest, pop. 14, fps 61(28)

Autumn's caravan was a small expeditionary team, bringing little but a few barrels of wine, cages, sweet pod seeds and some plump helmets. It's ok though, because we had little to give in return, so it worked out for the best.

Winter came and went in a flurry of activity, with the new immigrants fully engaged in the goings-on at the outpost. With their help, we have managed to build a fine first level:

Spoiler: Ringquest (click to show/hide)

Still no sun berries, and I've all but given up on finding them growing wild in the territory. Perhaps the elves will bring some when they arrive.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 04:23:36 am by AngleWyrm »

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8067 on: November 19, 2010, 07:36:36 am »

Oh, right, the shoes.
... nothing is preventing them from picking up newer ones. They are literally littered EVERYWHERE. Some deceased gobbo must have had your size, don't be picky.
In other news, my first prisoner
It's a bug at the moment, they'll never replace their clothes even though they continue to claim some as their own and store them in their rooms/cabinets.  Play long enough and you have naked dwarves wearing nothing but their stitches and bandages!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8068 on: November 19, 2010, 10:23:48 am »

Captured three warthogs. Unicorns in sight.

EDIT: Fucking migrants, scaring the unicorns away. I got one though.
EDIT2: Two.
EDIT3: Dammit, they're both male. Oh well, there's one more, and it's female. Come on Ms. Unicorn, you can do it! Brave the line of puppies to arrive at your Glorious Leader's last known position.
EDIT4: UNICORN♀ GET!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 12:14:25 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Herbiie

• Bay Watcher
  • Loyal Unto Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8069 on: November 19, 2010, 12:11:11 pm »

Fortress population has reached 162, FPS roughly 19/20.

49 Dead.

No serious Goblin attacks since the Fourth Battle of Cloisteredwood, they're planning something... I know it...
The once dark-grey walls are now the dark brown of stained blood. At either side of the path leading to the great granite gates is covered with the corpses and skeletons of Goblin invaders.
Some are still fresh. One is still moving.
As you approach the gate a nervous guard looses a bolt in your direction. Silence... Slowly, gradually, the huge doors screech open. Inside there is a courtyard, the floor wet with blood. Welcome to the front-line. Welcome; to Cloisteredwood.
Pages: 1 ... 536 537 [538] 539 540 ... 3842