Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 460 461 [462] 463 464 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6123542 times)

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #6915 on: October 12, 2010, 04:52:21 pm »

Value: 1213200

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Let's hope for more wearable artifacts!
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6916 on: October 12, 2010, 04:53:07 pm »

Constructing a small castle. I'm using 143 blocks for the ceiling.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6917 on: October 12, 2010, 05:02:52 pm »

The elf caravan stopped by. I traded an assload of gabbro querns for a pair of grizzlies. (Both are male, so the breeding program will have to wait.)

Last night's session only yielded one more masterwork for the Reliquary: a large yellow diamond. Now that we've melted down the excess metal furniture and sold off the surplus queens, production of masterwork phyllite and gold furniture can begin.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 11:14:32 pm by caknuck »
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6918 on: October 12, 2010, 05:03:02 pm »

What are each of those? A battle axe, a shield, the abovementioned mail shirt, and a waterskin?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6919 on: October 12, 2010, 05:06:34 pm »

I'm biting my fingers off as I wait to see whether my fortress floods with magma or the river thaws and solves the problem for me first. It's the 27th of granite, and the area is temperate. Stupid freak cave-ins.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6920 on: October 12, 2010, 05:13:12 pm »

What are each of those? A battle axe, a shield, the abovementioned mail shirt, and a waterskin?
White Chalcedony Flask, Iron Battle Axe, Steel buckler, yep :D
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

vadia

• Bay Watcher
  • tacky picture given the forum; I know.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6921 on: October 12, 2010, 06:12:10 pm »

A wooden upright spike just impaled a swordsdwarf through the brain.  The brain?!? with a wooden practice spear!?!? and she was so called tough also -- WTW????

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6922 on: October 12, 2010, 06:18:24 pm »

Training spear =/= menacing spike.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

DrGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6923 on: October 12, 2010, 06:29:28 pm »

Carved the two Fortifications at the base of my MagStack Sub-basement. I still have no clue why I thought it would be a good idea to do this on every floor and even linked up 56 floodgates to support it. From a design standpoint, if anything goes wrong and the fort needs to be reclaimed, at the very least it means we only have one floor to clear out, rekajigger gates on or just plain ignore. (Assuming I understand Magma pressure, which I probably don't.)

The casualties alone in digging out all those magma entries would be staggering. I lost two poor souls on this floor alone. Thankfully one of the actual carvers escaped (the casualty was a no-loss miller that I told to remove a door so the magma could spread out and dry. Decided it would be smart to stand back against the wall in a one tile-wide hall, they did.)

I was vaguely disappointed that the Fortification carver who died was a much beloved (by count of friends) legendary engraver. More depressing, however, was the fact that neither of the casualties had pet cat/dogs that I could remove now!

I need something to cheer me up... Yay! More Wolf puppies!

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6924 on: October 12, 2010, 06:56:01 pm »

Welp, horrifying screams from the darkness below.  Fortunately, we walled it off in time...unfortunately, the legendary miner's getting mauled by creatures not even Rulush Wavetrust can save her from.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6925 on: October 12, 2010, 08:16:30 pm »

After the previous...incident...I founded a new fort.  It has one of the more surreal undergrounds I've seen.  The magma sea is in a marble layer, there's a magma pipe rising out of the sea making it possible to flood level three...

But, being able to make any and all metals on site with minimal difficulty is nice.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

LealNightrunner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6926 on: October 12, 2010, 09:21:23 pm »

Magma Mountain crumbled to an end when the game crashed on hour 44 of execution (which I believe was like one dwarf day from embark).  Which is kinda good because the only pick the dwarves had was submerged in magma near my failed attempt to dig an emergency bunker.  When I saw the tide would outpace his digging, I quickly ordered an up stair and a down stair to be built so he could escape.

He finished the up stair at least.

Now back to your regularly scheduled dwarf fortress, without 2000z towers of adamantine, glowing pits of hell exposed to the rays of the sun, and magma raining down pretty much everywhere.

Current Fort: NatureRags

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6927 on: October 12, 2010, 10:20:49 pm »

I'm not quite so sure about "regular" dwarf fortress. In preparation of my planned megaproject (in a similar vein to this:http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=20288.0) I'm doing a little world-building of my own. I've got a nice site picked out finally, so now all that is left is to populate the world with interesting things!

Today I modded in a new [Common_Domestic] animal -- the Miniature Giant Cave Spider. (And incidentally, Miniature Giant Cave Spider Silk Cloth Left Mitten may be the longest named item I've ever seen)

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6928 on: October 12, 2010, 11:25:12 pm »

What about the Mini Giant Cave Spider Silk RIGHT Mitten?
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6929 on: October 12, 2010, 11:34:51 pm »

What about the Mini Giant Cave Spider Silk RIGHT Mitten?

...damn, you're right. (No pun intended).

Touche.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 11:53:35 pm by veok »
Pages: 1 ... 460 461 [462] 463 464 ... 3842