Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 429 430 [431] 432 433 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6125063 times)

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #6450 on: September 27, 2010, 10:38:19 am »

Almost cave-in time for the Humans. I now have both steel and adamantine processing going on at the same time and my full sets of steel armour are coming along nicely; helms, breastplates and greaves. I accidentally channelled a Human in and my iron/small part bronze armoured swordmaster cut him up with ease, but ofcourse not before he managed to kill one of my original seven who was also one of my legendary miners. The annoying thing is that I know my 5 man military can only do well in equal battles, perhaps 5v10, so I can't actually use them to clear out the enemy.

treytrey119

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6451 on: September 27, 2010, 10:42:53 am »

lost my last to a siege and a megabeast of fire at the same time which is not fun at all.
who can be a failure in so many ways?
the government can! - tim hawkins the government can

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #6452 on: September 27, 2010, 12:27:39 pm »

My military has reached a point where it can destroy eight goblin ambushes back to back with only losses being the recruits who don't know which end is up on a jack strap.

Meanwhile, I'm busy preparing my brook of doom with a few weapon traps, with carefully placed holes so the blood can hopefully spill into the water below.  I also plan to pump out water so a few dorfs can go into the river, create a dam, weapon-trap the river itself, then uncork the whole thing so that enemies who fall into the river still get whipped and bled to death.

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6453 on: September 27, 2010, 02:01:29 pm »

We were getting low on booze and people were starting to hoard food, so I mopped up the siege. I didn't expect much out of them since my adventurer already wiped out their leadership and left them embroiled in holy war.

The siege snuffed within the last week of spring; immediately come summer we received a diplomat and trade caravan. Food and boozables, yay! I accepted their plea for peace and gifted a masterworked figurine of some human venturing into these mountains, a popular subject with some of the craftsdwarves.

I really need to train siege operators in case I have to use these things seriously. Catapults are sloooooow. Slow loading, slow firing, and miss the mark even when the stone flies through a whole row of targets. My operator was struck by a fey mood, but fortunately we had the parts to make his legendary bone helm, and then he threw a party to celebrate it. The rest of the time,  he'd wander past the 30+ stone stockpile set right next to him to find one single stone deep in the fortress, and it didn't even match his favorite stones, so wtf is that about? After all those years, he only went from novice to talented, so I set up a channeled backboard for target practice.

drvoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6454 on: September 27, 2010, 02:12:24 pm »

Encountered a forgotten beast (feather-covered giant caddisfly), and it spewed ichor all over my entrance to the 2nd cavern layer.  I, uh.. think it caused a plague.  It started with most of the fighters caught up in the final parts of the battle, they got infections in the legs and feet mostly (so I assume it was those puddles of ichor they were stomping through), and so did their animals.  I thought I got everyone set up in the hospital and I thought most were going to survive, but no amount of cleaning with soap and water could stem the infection.  They were spreading it through miasma, and so when pets would come in, they would catch it, and so on...

The tantrum spiral started when the first huge wave of pets died.  Then hospital patients started dying.  For whatever reason, only one dwarf ever got proper treatment (full arm amputation to stem the spread of infection), so everyone just kept piling up in the hospital, spewing miasma and slowly succumbing to infection.

Well, I SAY slowly... I went from 107 dwarfs in year 258 (year of the FB encounter) to FIVE dwarfs in year 260.  So much insane shit happened in those two years it almost seems excessive to go over it all.  Obviously, plenty of murder and violence.  Caged megabeasts being let loose, not enough coffins so bodies piled up around the entrance of the fort, etc...  One dwarven child was wandering around the fortress in a foul mood towards the end, using her arms apparently to drag her torso behind her as her legs had completely given over to the rot.

However, those five survivor dwarfs are Very Happy/Ecstatic.  Not exactly sure how they managed to remain mentally intact after everyone else went berserk.  Plenty of artifact and art installations at major junctions, best quality prepared meals, and everyone having 2x3 smoothed and engraved bedrooms helped, I'm sure.

I think some of them were working and generally staying out of everyone's way even during a massive amount of bad thoughts.  I have one legendary axedwarf left in that lot and I think her thought "Took pleasure in the slaughter" was really really accurate, though.  She had to put down a bunch of dwarfs and was the first one to come out of the chaos with an ECSTATIC happiness level.  I also managed to get a dwarf bone bed out of a fell mood in the very midst of the violence.  First fell artifact ever, it's not interesting, doesn't menace with spikes or anything, but it's made out of dwarf bones.  Definitely giving that to my axe dwarf.

I've got thousands of barrels of booze, thousands of prepared meals, plenty of coke and ore, and five happy dwarfs.  No reason not to continue this fortress, as long as it can attract migrants in the next few years.  My post-apocalypse fortress.

(Further, there are no goblins or kobolds, which seems sad, but it's why I was plowing into the caverns in the first place.  I needed things for my military to kill.  I think I got more than I was prepared for.  And unfortunately, none of this helped my FPS much.  Preceding the forgotten beast encounter, I had executed an EXTENSIVE rock clean-up operation to pull my FPS back up over 50.  It's currently at 68 FPS.)
Ambassador magma patiently awaits his meeting with your nobles.

McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6455 on: September 27, 2010, 04:54:49 pm »

Urnwax
12th Opal, 1054, Mid-Winter

Finally got some farm plots up and running; underground only, I didn't realize that muddied rock won't work for above ground plants and there are to many pebbles to do actual above ground farming.

A number of residents have constructed a number of artifacts:
 A glass floodgate called the
Spoiler: Trades of Toning (click to show/hide)
 A lead figurine called
 A perfect green glass gem called
Spoiler: The Slayer of Passing (click to show/hide)
 An obsidian coffer called
Spoiler: Slowfancied (click to show/hide)
 And my favorite so far, a glass bed with leather straps called
Spoiler: Romancedipped (click to show/hide)

A queen Ant-Woman and five of her followers have turned up dead in my stocks menu.

1054 and no sign of goblins or the like. It appears fun won't be found until I start digging deeper.

TheWealthyAardvark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6456 on: September 27, 2010, 06:41:39 pm »

The last fort I had was back in 40d, and since then I've only been reading the forums for my DF fix. However, I finally broke down today and generated a slightly modified version of ledgekindred's parameters, found here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=61330.0

My own, genned in .12:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I embarked on a 5x5 instead of his 4x4 site. Things have been quiet thus far, with a group of elephants wandering around the map while my dwarves train war dogs and forge a pick and an axe. Seeing as how my last fort survived for five years on cage traps and war dogs, I'm interested to see how quickly this one will fall thanks to a total lack of military knowledge.
Quick, somebody who can pretend they know with a reasonable degree of believability hop in and act like they do!
You fucking rang?
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6457 on: September 27, 2010, 07:28:39 pm »

Just got the first migrant wave. One of them was named Zon. She quickly started a relationship with my woodcutter, whose name is... Zon. That has got to make some awkward moments.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6458 on: September 27, 2010, 08:54:44 pm »

I'm hoping that my modded-in thermite grenades will work. If not, back to the drawing board.

In the meantime, the fort used for grenade testing, "Stakevoices," is digging out a stockpile. Woohoo.

EDIT: First try at making grenades: Grenadeir's workshop ended up being a black hole - that is, a "turn anything and everything into nothing" hole. Whoops I just the raws.

Second try at making grenades: Fort functioned fine.... until I gave the order to make some grenades. Then DF crashed.

So until I learn more about reaction and workshop tags, I'm going to stick with making new metals and weapons and such.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 10:26:20 pm by TherosPherae »
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6459 on: September 27, 2010, 11:16:52 pm »

Spoiler: Text (click to show/hide)

Man, that sounds like some kind of crazy horror movie.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6460 on: September 28, 2010, 12:24:09 am »

Alright, I'm doing one last Hail Mary for modding in grenades before I give up.

Go on, Counselledattic. Make my day.
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6461 on: September 28, 2010, 12:33:32 am »

Playing .14.
In one of my current forts I have just got baron, have over sixty dwarves, FPS is running somwehere around 100+ and just discovered that as well as having nice magma pipe going through to third cavern layer I also have TWO spoiler veins, at least one of them being as tall as at least 14 floors:o ;D
That is, I don't know how tall the vein is as of the 14 floors I have been able to discover only worth of two floors are in the magma, so there could be more... much much more...
*starts drooling*
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

ZhangC1459

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6462 on: September 28, 2010, 12:33:32 am »

if there's a tag for it, make it a crossbow ammunition.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6463 on: September 28, 2010, 12:49:04 am »

if there's a tag for it, make it a crossbow ammunition.
Do you know how OP grenades in crossbows would be? It'd be titan-smashing, BC-obliterating, clown-crushing, and that's just unfai...r....

I have to do this now.

Also, the grenades seem to work fine as ammo. They don't explode spectacularly yet, but I'm sure there's some way I can make them combust and start grassfires. Especially if they're shooting at an elven convoy full of wood.

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6464 on: September 28, 2010, 01:04:09 am »

The Dragon Kara Quemertul Cobimostri had come! Over a thousand years old, this enormous, incredibly rare firebreathing beast was the scourge of all whom it saw. This lowly fort would be no match for this terrifying monster!

So of course it was knocked unconscious by spiked iron balls in a single trap. It staggered to its feet, but not before a single marksdwarf came out to see it.

"Hrm. Dragon.", he grunted, casually leveling his crossbow.

A single silver bolt flew through the air and went right through its forehead.

$dragons--;

Satisfied, the marksdwarf reverted to being a civilian and got back to work.
Pages: 1 ... 429 430 [431] 432 433 ... 3842