Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 379 380 [381] 382 383 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6128173 times)

Wolock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #5700 on: September 07, 2010, 01:11:39 pm »

I've breached the first cavern and found a magma pipe. I've walled it from the cavern and I'm flooring it to prevent transforming my fortress into a !!fortress!!. It is my first time with magma and i'm happy that I can start steel production without the need of wood.

Since the masons have nearly complete the flooring of the magma pipe they will be relocated to the roofing of the above ground entrance.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5701 on: September 07, 2010, 01:24:41 pm »

I have successfully captured a forgotten beast!   :D  Not in a cage, mind you.  That's nearly impossible.  But I did manage to trap one in a pit.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Basically I chained a dog in the pit to entice the FB then built a retractable bridge over it.  The FB came in, started munching on the dog...then got out of the pit before I had time to close the bridge on him.  Yeah, this guy's pretty fast.  Fortunately I had another bridge set up at the entrance that I had already retracted so he didn't have anywhere to go.  It took a bit of trial and error as he would zip in and out of the pit pretty fast but it was only a matter of time before I finally got him.

I always suspected this technique might work.  I tried it once before but instead of using retractable bridges I used vertical bars which are easily destroyed.  FBs don't seem to be able to destroy bridges, though.  He's been down there a few minutes now and doesn't seem to care to destroy it.  To test it further I opened up my fortress and had some engravers engrave some walls down there.  They completely ignored the FB, walking right over the bridge and the FB didn't seem to notice them.

With the lever still firmly in place I now have a FUN way of ending my fortress when the time comes.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5702 on: September 07, 2010, 01:36:41 pm »

So now we know how we get sealed evil in a can....
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5703 on: September 07, 2010, 02:25:44 pm »

It's pretty easy to trick Forgotten Beasts when you take advantage of their building destroyer tag. They have an uncontrollable urge to smash any building they see, so you can lure them into caves with a few buildings then wall it inside while it's busy smashing them. I actually saved Townbrush in it's second year doing this. The Forgotten Beast flew over the barricade, but couldn't resist the urge to smash the coffins inside the mausoleum. So I had the masons seal it inside while it was distracted.

Also I just realized that Forgotten Beast is the longest living "resident" in Townbrush, since all of the Dwarves from the early years died. So the elder of Townbrush is a giant cave eagle that spits fire.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5704 on: September 07, 2010, 04:32:06 pm »

I made to many farms at once, so I recently had a giant miasma cloud overtake most of my dwarves, pissing them off.

I also forgot to make enough booze
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5705 on: September 07, 2010, 04:36:37 pm »

It's pretty easy to trick Forgotten Beasts when you take advantage of their building destroyer tag. They have an uncontrollable urge to smash any building they see, so you can lure them into caves with a few buildings then wall it inside while it's busy smashing them. I actually saved Townbrush in it's second year doing this. The Forgotten Beast flew over the barricade, but couldn't resist the urge to smash the coffins inside the mausoleum. So I had the masons seal it inside while it was distracted.

Also I just realized that Forgotten Beast is the longest living "resident" in Townbrush, since all of the Dwarves from the early years died. So the elder of Townbrush is a giant cave eagle that spits fire.

Good to know.  I actually just tried placing a bunch of wall grates in a room instead of a chained dog and sure enough an FB walked right in there.  It's strange, though.  It didn't attack the wall grates right away.  It just sort of stood around for a while.  So I closed the bridge behind it (used a somewhat different design this time) and after, like 5 minutes, it started slowly taking out the wall grates one at a time.

Lord Vetinari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5706 on: September 07, 2010, 04:49:04 pm »

A pack of migrants showed up and I ignored them, until a master thief made off with one child (most of one, anyway--for some reason he decided to chop her right hand off first).  Then two hammer squads ambushed me--meh, who cares, they're just mooks--wait, when did that HM weaponsmith show up?!  Crap!  He's actually useful!!  Cue drafting migrants into squads which are told to flee or march towards certain death...

There was a novice miller in the wave.  I was only paying attention to the smith, but then... I noticed the corpses.  The miller had torn apart two wolves and a hammerman with his bare hands, was in the process of mutilating yet another wolf, and had even taken some shots at the babysnatcher before he'd even been drafted.  He came away with only a bruised arm and leg.

You know, you gave me a solution to the ambush that is trapping me inside.
My wood is kinda low, I'm tired of waiting for my military to train at a good level.

EDIT: Lame. No more ambush. There are no goblins available in the target selection.
I knew that goblins flee when some of them are killed or injured enough, never heard that they give up after butchering a couple of pets.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 05:24:34 pm by Lord Vetinari »

Bomepie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5707 on: September 07, 2010, 07:09:23 pm »

My fortress was just completely depopulated by a forgotten beast, I was to busy watching to even think of savescumming. A giant saurapod with a poisonous bite just ate 23 dwarves and assorted pets. Go go reclaim.

Edit:
Not so much success with the reclaim... make that 30 dwarves... Trying again with a reclamation force of fighters.

Edit2:
37, 4 Skilled axedwarves + 3 competent axedwarves< beast.

Edit3:
44, 20 wardogs<beast
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 07:38:00 pm by Bomepie »
Megadorf™ A giant dwarf shaped dwarf fortress

The All Guardsmen Party

DrGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5708 on: September 07, 2010, 07:24:14 pm »

My fortress was just completely depopulated by a forgotten beast, I was to busy watching to even think of savescumming. A giant saurapod with a poisonous bite just ate 23 dwarves and assorted pets. Go go reclaim.

Not so much success with the reclaim... make that 30 dwarves... Trying again with a reclamation force of fighters.

I once tried to reclaim a plot after releasing the clowns. I had managed to seal it up and there were only two left on the map. One of them was a horrible dust-dealer. Took me so many embarks to get it right. I finally got it with this embark profile:

Mind you, before that I tried the likes of:

and a host of other, even less successful profiles:

Bomepie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5709 on: September 07, 2010, 08:01:13 pm »

Thanks for the embark profile, worked nicely, final count: 46 dead dwarves + animals + lizardmen living in the cave. Dwarf 47 will be dead from wounds shortly. The fortress of FishPage shall rise again! It's primary industry for the time being will be coffins, lots and lots of coffins.

Edit: All survivors are at 0 happiness, but I am determined to keep things going until they tantrum spiral and kill eachother before I bring in final(hopefully) reclaim.

Edit2: 3 giant toads came in and finished it, here comes the hopefully final embark.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 08:25:29 pm by Bomepie »
Megadorf™ A giant dwarf shaped dwarf fortress

The All Guardsmen Party

DrGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5710 on: September 07, 2010, 08:15:54 pm »

Thanks for the embark profile, worked nicely, final count: 46 dead dwarves + animals + lizardmen living in the cave. Dwarf 47 will be dead from wounds shortly. The fortress of FishPage shall rise again! It's primary industry for the time being will be coffins, lots and lots of coffins.

Edit: All survivors are at 0 happiness, but I am determined to keep things going until they tantrum spiral and kill eachother before I bring in final(hopefully) reclaim.

Heh, my squad all survived the Dirty clown before dying off one-by-one from "bleeding." Only a single, miserable survivor amongst the ashen wasteland:

He held on for nearly a year before going insane. Had him build some floors over the channels I tore across the map, and he'd almost built himself a brewery. There was plenty of food around for him. The whole mess is a really long story...

...after he died I decided I didn't want the plot of land anymore and built a new fortress on a volcano far away.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5711 on: September 07, 2010, 08:24:20 pm »

In the middle of constructing 9X9X10 storage silos directly over the areas that they'd supply. As I'm digging down (plus aquifers) It's just easier to build up. also gets rid of the tons of blocks I'm making to remove some free-floating rock.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

timtek

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Tacos
    • View Profile
« Reply #5712 on: September 07, 2010, 09:33:23 pm »

I was browsing through my job list when I saw, for the first time, beat criminal. I zoomed to where the action was, and one of my troops was running behind my wood cutter and flogging him every chance he could get! I knew it could happen but it still had me crackin up to see it. Justice has been served. He'll never break production orders again...I hope.  :D
My fortress brings all the dorfs to mah yard...

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5713 on: September 07, 2010, 09:51:07 pm »

Currently in my fort:
My two legendary miners idiotically dug the floor from underneath their feet causing them to fall into an aquifer that freezes over directly after being uncovered
An artifact iron ring without any decorations was produced... without any iron.(The items grabbed were leather, wood, bones and more bones in that order)
A tantrum spiral is going on because of said idiot miners

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5714 on: September 07, 2010, 09:58:57 pm »

Okay, make that four captured FBs.  I'm getting pretty good at this.  I even managed to capture a cave crocodile in the process.  One of the caverns that I dared not set foot in is now perfectly safe and I'm harvesting wood from it.  I hate to say it but I think I've taken this fortress about as far as it will go.  It's 100 percent safe from all hostiles and I don't even have a military.  I'll give it a few more months and then I'll unleash one of the FBs.
Pages: 1 ... 379 380 [381] 382 383 ... 3842