Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 372 373 [374] 375 376 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6128900 times)

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #5595 on: September 04, 2010, 11:56:43 am »

I'm probably going to get yelled at for this but I've decided to make the rest of my barrels and bins...out of adamantine.  I've been steadily building up a large supply of the stuff and I'm running out of practical things to do with it.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5596 on: September 04, 2010, 12:03:46 pm »

Lemunde has mandated construction of Adamantine Bins.  Pull the lever? (Y/N): Y

You could always make a road to the edge of the map with it...Or re-floor all your noble's rooms with it...adamantine is bound to be worth more than any engraving.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5597 on: September 04, 2010, 12:04:30 pm »

I'm probably going to get yelled at for this but I've decided to make the rest of my barrels and bins...out of adamantine.  I've been steadily building up a large supply of the stuff and I'm running out of practical things to do with it.

They would be very, very light which is a plus.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5598 on: September 04, 2010, 12:29:17 pm »

Also, making blocks from raw stone gives experience to the mason. Which is good.

And stone blocks have higher value multiplier than raw stone (5 instead of 3 I think?), which is good too.

Thus: Stone Blocks >> Raw Stone

The production of stone blocks, however, wastes a massive amount of time and requires multiple masons shops churning out stone blocks. Plus, if you want to make a wall out of another color you have to put int the order for stone blocks far in advance. Value multipliers really don't matter with walls, since they're not going to be the main contributor to Fortress wealth.

Raw stone is simply more efficient. Maybe when you have a massive fort bursting with Dwarves you can spare a few to produce stone blocks, but you don't always have that luxury.

Hmm... It may be a false efficiency. Blocks can be stored & transported at 10/bin, if you put a block stockpile that only accepts the desired blocks near intended construction sites, you save time on Urist McMason toing & froing. I don't know whether or not he'll lug a bin if you choose to construct from blocks.

Also, Blocks used for Buildings (as opposed to Constructions) mean that when you forbid a stone from use, you aren't also forbidding any workshops made of it.

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5599 on: September 04, 2010, 12:31:01 pm »

They would be very, very light which is a plus.
Hear, Hear! That's the reason why making barrels out of a cheap, useless material like lead is not a terrific idea after all...
And anyway, making furniture out of adamantine IS badass... much more than good old Saddam's gold taps and faucets in the bathrooms

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5600 on: September 04, 2010, 12:42:23 pm »

I just use all my adamantine to create full armour sets, including cloaks, hoods, tunics, socks and trousers.

Adamantine cloaks are extremely useful versus high skill level enemy archers, since as far as I can see they stop them getting so many headshot instakills. When I started production of the cloaks, my death rate dropped by about half.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5601 on: September 04, 2010, 12:50:45 pm »

Also, making blocks from raw stone gives experience to the mason. Which is good.

And stone blocks have higher value multiplier than raw stone (5 instead of 3 I think?), which is good too.

Thus: Stone Blocks >> Raw Stone

The production of stone blocks, however, wastes a massive amount of time and requires multiple masons shops churning out stone blocks. Plus, if you want to make a wall out of another color you have to put int the order for stone blocks far in advance. Value multipliers really don't matter with walls, since they're not going to be the main contributor to Fortress wealth.

Raw stone is simply more efficient. Maybe when you have a massive fort bursting with Dwarves you can spare a few to produce stone blocks, but you don't always have that luxury.

Hmm... It may be a false efficiency. Blocks can be stored & transported at 10/bin, if you put a block stockpile that only accepts the desired blocks near intended construction sites, you save time on Urist McMason toing & froing. I don't know whether or not he'll lug a bin if you choose to construct from blocks.

Also, Blocks used for Buildings (as opposed to Constructions) mean that when you forbid a stone from use, you aren't also forbidding any workshops made of it.

So this "efficiency" relies on having enough room for a stone stockpile near every construction site (impossible on my forts, since everything is built over the ocean. Building an area for a stone stockpile would waste space), dwarves placing the stones in the bins, and Dwarves then carrying these bins to the stockpile. There's way to much room for error in that, as simply compared to having Urist McMason carry raw stones himself.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5602 on: September 04, 2010, 01:17:16 pm »

This, this, this.  Comes in handy when you have thousands of junk rocks everywhere, and you want that moody dwarf to use marble or obsidian instead--without bringing every single industry in the whole fort to a grinding halt.
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5603 on: September 04, 2010, 01:45:17 pm »

Like internet Kraken said it's usually prohibitively labor intensive to make blocks. but for the first time I've set up a backbone of agridwarves that are REALLY GOOD at their jobs, so food and booze are no longer an issue. this leaves me with some 50-60 miner/masons to use. so I have a bunch of them make blocks, while the other's smoothe things.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Lord Vetinari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5604 on: September 04, 2010, 03:17:15 pm »

I'm trapped inside by an ambush of goblins because I don't want to send out my untrained military, yet.
I have plenty of room inside and a quite large courtyard outside, so I don't care that much. I'm a little bit worried for wood, though. It means that my plan to build single rooms for all my 52 dwarves will wait for a bit; half of them already have their provate room, the others can sleep in the dormitory.

While my soldiers train, I'll keep working on the large shaft in the middle of the fortress which digs through all floors (which serves no purpose other than decoration - I like the idea of a central hall tha spans through all the levels), on the necropolis for nobles and peasants and on the top part of the fortifications: there are some ballista parts waiting to be put together.
Things are going rather well, at the moment.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 03:19:45 pm by Lord Vetinari »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5605 on: September 04, 2010, 05:11:50 pm »

My only issue with using blocks is that it needs a mason to smooth the blocks.   But the masons are all wandering about up top building your giant toilet/magmashower/Obelisk/kitchen sink, and the build construction job seems to be a higher priority than the make blocks job.  Good luck, getting a mason to smooth the blocks while construction is underway, unless you build a specific burrow just for him, and then you have to keep that burrow up to date with recent mining.

Though i guess it might make it easier to specify a specific kind of stone to make block of... Just don't have his burrow in any of the places with stone you don't wanna brick...

Hm...next fort may try making out of blocks instead...
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5606 on: September 04, 2010, 08:05:51 pm »

I... just accidentally breached HFS And all but two children are, well, dead.
Right now the clowns are all focused on my bedrooms and killing the wildlife in the  caverns. This would be good... if i had any non-children dwarfs to seal them down there.
Also, the vein was hollow all the way up at the third cavern level, with only two z-levels of non hollow vein.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5607 on: September 04, 2010, 08:56:46 pm »

Right now the clowns are all focused on my bedrooms and killing the wildlife in the  caverns. This would be good... if i had any non-children dwarfs to seal them down there.
Also, the vein was hollow all the way up at the third cavern level, with only two z-levels of non hollow vein.

I'll have to keep that in mind.  I usually just skim off the top layer, sometimes the second.  Anything more than that seems to be a risk.

I recently learned that you can make your dwarves a little happier by using a variety of materials to make statues and such as you're more likely to hit a material that each individual dwarf likes.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #5608 on: September 04, 2010, 09:01:23 pm »

At this point, really, i suggest using DF therapist to allow labors for children. Really, at the moment it's not cheating, but rather kids actually getting off their asses and struggling to survive.

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5609 on: September 04, 2010, 09:13:40 pm »

At this point, really, i suggest using DF therapist to allow labors for children. Really, at the moment it's not cheating, but rather kids actually getting off their asses and struggling to survive.
At the time of posting that, one was struck with melancholy and the other's spine was broken.
Said melancholy one did manage to defeat a clown without a scratch(It's attacks kept glancing off the dwarf's leather cloak)
Pages: 1 ... 372 373 [374] 375 376 ... 3842