Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 319 320 [321] 322 323 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6096939 times)

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #4800 on: August 08, 2010, 08:12:22 am »

Certainly a lot of boots switched owner, at any rate.
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4801 on: August 08, 2010, 11:51:20 am »

I will have the mushroom farm to end all mushroom farms, thanks to aquifer flooding.

A HA HA YEAH RIGHT
GUESS HOW THAT ENDED - GENIUS
synchronized drowning
water ballet with beards
...too short for an ark?

I can never end those things.

Had to restart the fort.  Halfway through the third year now, twenty immigrants sitting around picking their noses, the rest are all on their way to legendary pump-operator status as they man dorf? the sixteen pumps, I can see magnetite but it's just out of reach, I have only six mechanisms in the whole fort, I had to wall off half the map when the moat flooded and froze in winter giving the werewolf Greenheal a direct shot at one of my starting seven who was promptly eaten face-first...  then the werewolf ripped off his pants (and a sock), and wielded those instead of its claws, and fell to an immigrant after the usual Benny Hill Chase Scene.

(Why do they DO that?  I mean, sure, it means each of those rabid pests can only take out one dwarf tops, but socks?  When there's a perfectly good (copper axe) on that same gently-cooling body?)

Oh, and the new mayor wants me to waste charcoal on green glass crap.  I guess I will make her some because SHE KEEPS DROPPING HER NEW BABY IN THE AQUIFER

Relying heavily on caravans, which is actually working out well since the fort's only successful moods have given me a thong, a miniskirt, and two legendary clothiers.  (Buy crappy rope reed cloth from traders.  Make masterwork ropes.  Sell ropes.  Buy more cloth.  Repeat.  Buy them out of food, booze, and anything vaguely metallic.)

All in all, going swimmingly.  Except for the baby.  Ah well...  needed to empty out all those sand bags, anyway.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 11:55:10 am by melomel »
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

bigboss199

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4802 on: August 08, 2010, 12:56:05 pm »

Recently I got sieged by humans (because their caravan got destroyed by goblins).  about 3 months after the siege I noticed that a starving, dehydrated dwarf was locked in a cage.  Somehow a cage trap sprung and captured him.  I'm going to see if I can get the other dwarfs to feed him and then put him in my zoo!

Alambique

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven science is underated.
    • View Profile
    • MY GUEST ROOM
« Reply #4803 on: August 08, 2010, 01:28:03 pm »

Just discovered the mighty pleasure of atom smashing goblings using bridges! :o

chewie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4804 on: August 08, 2010, 01:37:54 pm »

NEVER breach into lakes from a lower level than the surface.
Nearly my whole fortress has been flooded in like 2 seconds when I wanted to make a reservoir and dug into the lake. Luckily the stockpile level stayed dry (thank you, +limestone door+) so my dwarfes could wait it out until I let the water into the caverns.
But now I have trees and plants growing in my (muddy) dining room.  >:(

Macalano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4805 on: August 08, 2010, 01:57:45 pm »

So I had mined out a fort by the ocean... "GoldenOceans" or something like that.

Everythings going good, 70+ dwarves, an adamantine industry going.

Around the time I had forged and equipped a dwarf with an -adamantine short sword-, a hill titan arrives, and the dwarf kills it. "Yay" I thought, I killed my first ever megabeast. So the Urist names his sword, and I'm feeling pretty cocky.

I dig deeper for adamantine, the creatures in the caverns didn't seem to cause me much trouble.

All of the sudden a Forgotten Beast appears (a giant poison spitting Flea), and I think, "I got this".
I order all my dwarves to evacuate to the safe room (dining hall), and set my well-equipped -adequate- sworddwarf to guard it.
Little did I know, I had forgotten to seal the adamantine doors, so the giant Flea barges into the dining hall spewing noxious gas.
I had unintentionally created a gas chamber. The dwarves were all suffocating, all 70+ dwarves died in a few turns.

Mr. Iron Lung sword-Urist was still alive though (in the "chamber") and eventually killed the beast. But he got moody, you know, because of all the death and stuff. He gets quite mad at a war dog for some reason and it kills him

~Fin~

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4806 on: August 08, 2010, 03:29:17 pm »

Got most of the first floor walls of my tower built.

Had one soldier dwarf die of dehydration, having suffered a broken leg, and no doctordwarves capable of doing a thing about it(*hopes for Talented or better Diagnostician/Surgeon/Suturer in the next wave*). He was diagnosed successfully, it's just that noone with the right labors enabled treated him, and nobody was moving anything to the hospital zone(then again, there weren't any containers).

Accidentally robbed the dwarven caravan. I ordered the depot deconstructed(it was blocking the wall plan) immediately after the message about them debarking. Apparently, it's at the point of slating it for removal the merchants decide "screw it, they're robbing us", even if they're still packing.

During the meeting with the liason, I moved through it too fast and missed a message, all I caught was "consider by next year", I'm assuming they're looking for me to chose a baron next year.

Have some goblin snatchers in cages. I built the cages inside a mined-out currently frozen murky pool. Just gotta wait for summer rains.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Tale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4807 on: August 08, 2010, 03:43:18 pm »

Goblin ambush!  Send out the entire military!
The entire military is dead.
FLOOD THE ENTRANCE/TRADE DEPOT!  But wait, elves are arriving, maybe they'll help!
Goblins have destroyed the trade depot!  The elves are leaving and have ignored the goblins.
SCREW IT, FLOOD IT
Two Goblins trapped in the base, DRAFT EVERYONE
Everyone but 8 guys die killing 1 goblin.  5 of those survivors are injured and dying in beds or on the floor.  3 are trapped outside.  1 Goblin is trapped inside.
Notice one outside survivor can mine.  Build a new way into base, Goblin flees.

Eventually end up with only 3 survivors, including a child.

Work my way to recovering the base.  Hoping to hold out until new migrants
Child gets kidnapped.
5 seconds later, NEW AMBUSH that kills two final survivors.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4808 on: August 08, 2010, 04:08:16 pm »

I... I'm flabbergasted.

Massive goblin siege, they duke it out with my military and elephants.
Everyone dies but ~= 10 goblins and an elephant that was still inside. The goblins are preventing my surviving civilians from taking the stairs and drinking, scaring them across a channel. "Doomed fortress, tch", I think.

Then the elephant goes around the trap corridor, and charges the gobbos. I prepare to write him off, but then he runs away, splitting the goblins, allowing a tigerman to pass in their midst.
The tigerman brings caravan guards toward the scene.

The goblins chasing the elephant eventually give up; but the bolt-riddled corpses of their comrades await their return.
They starts fighting the guards; then the elephant does a 180, catches them from behind and starts the painful crushing.

That is one badass elephant.

But now she vomits everywhere...
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

xordae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4809 on: August 08, 2010, 06:43:25 pm »

My fortress is under siege again by about 50 Goblins, Trolls and animals. But this time around lots of dwarves are still snoozing away in the hospital and recuperating from their mild injuries. Which apparently takes a lot of time because they've been sleeping there for days. I'm just gonna raise the bridge and start digging into the mountain. Food and booze production and reserves enable us to hold out indefinitely.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4810 on: August 08, 2010, 07:04:25 pm »

I've figured out the final thing my meeting hall needs to be complete. Caged Elves. Next to the goblins, these Elves would make a fine addition. Now I just need to figure out how to cage some Elves as soon as possible. Tried to make the Elves go berserk but they all became insane and depressed instead. Maybe the next caravan will have favorable results.

Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Tale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4811 on: August 08, 2010, 07:34:25 pm »

Started a new one after GOBLIN AMBUSHES.

Just got an immigrant wave that doubled me from 16 dwarves to 36.  Which incited immediate panic of ambushes in me so my military had to be hastily thrown together.  Thankfully my farms are actually working this time, as they weren't for some reason previously.  Now I just need to figure out how to equip the training weapons and things should go well.

timtek

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Tacos
    • View Profile
« Reply #4812 on: August 08, 2010, 09:08:06 pm »

Just got an immigrant wave that doubled me from 16 dwarves to 36.  Which incited immediate panic of ambushes in me so my military had to be hastily thrown together.  Thankfully my farms are actually working this time, as they weren't for some reason previously.  Now I just need to figure out how to equip the training weapons and things should go well.

I know how ya feel. I was struggling for booze with my 13 dwarves when suddenly about 22 immigrants came knocking on my door. You'd think they'd have the courtesy to space it out a little!
My fortress brings all the dorfs to mah yard...

Beardless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4813 on: August 08, 2010, 11:33:20 pm »

I know how ya feel. I was struggling for booze with my 13 dwarves when suddenly about 22 immigrants came knocking on my door. You'd think they'd have the courtesy to space it out a little!

Aye. I actually found myself breathing a sigh of relief when my fortress failed to attract any immigrants this summer. (Which was ironic, because I had just started mass gem and silver works. Go figure.) On the other hand, we also failed to attract a human caravan. No elves, no goblins, no humans... just dorfs and two reptile person villages (which I haven't found yet). I really hope the lower caverns are scarier than the first. (Yes, I know about the Fun House. I'd just like a bit of challenge before that.)

Speaking of which, I broke into the caverns for the first time ever today. My dwarves are running all over the first level, and OMG three full pages of mineral spam every time someone takes a step down there. :o (Ooh, rock crystal in the last batch! Have to find a good use for that.) I'm having a field day with the fungiwood and tower caps--I really needed more wood, especially with only one caravan per year. Slowly encasing the central stairway in clear glass (we're half-way up to the roof now), and relocated the barracks to a foyer dug into the slope where the stairway came to earth. With any luck, the military will have trained beyond Novice levels before anything interesting shows up. I had a brief scare when several dwarves got webbed, but it turned out to be Regular Sized Cave Spiders, not the dreaded GCS.

I'm a year and a half into this fort, and am only now starting on the dining hall. Bedrooms are going to wait on relocating the production floor, so it'll probably be a full two years from the start before anyone gets out of the dormitory. It feels strange to be so slow getting the basic necessities in place--I was well into my first megaproject by this time on my 40d fort. How long do all of you usually take to get them going?
So it turns out that dumping magma on skeletons is either a really bad idea or maybe like the best idea ever.

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4814 on: August 09, 2010, 12:54:54 am »

Just put the spikes to the last of the female cats. Got her before she matured... catsplosion averted.

Construction of the electrum drawbridge has begun. With a few well-placed walls and a moat, this should make for a pretty defensible location.
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*
Pages: 1 ... 319 320 [321] 322 323 ... 3842