Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 259 260 [261] 262 263 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6102311 times)

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #3900 on: June 22, 2010, 04:24:56 pm »

I can't tolerate any deaths, as my only way to get more dwarves is to have couples give birth to them.

so with a population of 26 at year 4 It's important to invest in invulnerability.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3901 on: June 22, 2010, 04:27:06 pm »

XD thats one of my forts if i were you, i'd draft them all and make all of em at least proficient in some combat skills
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

madk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • pineapplemachine
« Reply #3902 on: June 22, 2010, 04:39:04 pm »

Just a question:

@madk: What tileset it is? If it's on Dwarfwiki, can I has teh linkz? :P

Check my sig.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3903 on: June 22, 2010, 04:41:08 pm »

I'm a scientist (and I suck at the military screen) My fortresses prize ingenuity, not brute strength (and it's totally not that traps take less effort than training)

I have no way to make weapons or armor anyways. my anvil is far above the water.

Urist told us to never go above the water. The Water proteects and shelters us from the world outside, and will keep us safe through what destroyed The Paint Of Boats.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3904 on: June 22, 2010, 04:55:41 pm »

So, like I predicted, I just suffered from an ambush. The only casualties were a woodcutter and a hauler who were outside at the time. The goblins trapped themselves in my cages, and the remaining two were quickly disposed of.

So now I'm trying to get my fort up and running again, when I notice that one of my mechanics isn't working despite there being plenty of traps that need to be set. I zoom in on him, and notice the aforementioned forgotten beast tearing him apart.

Sending the military down now. Doubt they will save him, but at least the beast will be destroyed (hopefully).

EDIT: Great. It's unkillable. I'm going to have to abandon because of this, aren't I?

EDIT 2: God damn. It's killing my entire military. Despite being completley red, it is still beating them by spitting on them.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 05:12:11 pm by Internet Kraken »
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Zauren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3905 on: June 22, 2010, 05:42:45 pm »

I had a vomit Forgotten Beast in my game. It was horrifying. But it was in a cavern and caverns have no access to my fortress so it eventually wandered off. It was very exciting.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3906 on: June 22, 2010, 05:52:38 pm »

Just looked at a combat log for when a puppy valiently fought and killed a crundle before succumbing to his wounds. The log referred to it as "dog Child". this amuses me greatly.

Edit: also, my militia commander refuses to clean his axe, and refuses to let anyone else do so also. It now has eight pages of blood coverings, one of which is from his first kill.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 07:30:47 pm by silverskull39 »
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3907 on: June 22, 2010, 05:53:31 pm »

I tried to ride that tantrum spiral all the way to the end, but its not fast enough... so I just took drastic measures:  I forbid the booze.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3908 on: June 22, 2010, 05:56:56 pm »

I tried to ride that tantrum spiral all the way to the end, but its not fast enough... so I just took drastic measures:  I forbid the booze.

No, mod the booze to have a [FIXED_TEMP:5]. Guaranteed fun.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Beardless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3909 on: June 22, 2010, 06:10:40 pm »

After almost six months of non-stop combat, Berlar, Giant Desert Scorpion finally managed to strike down my militia commander. I bet it could have gone another six months, but she got in a lucky blow with her (pig tail trousers), bruising the muscle, jamming the right false rib through the heart and tearing apart the heart! This fight went on so long that poor Limul was quite literally only holding herself together with the Power of Heart. Or so I assume, since her corpse was broken in two by the final blow.

The first caravan arrived just before the end of the fight. Naturally, the guards showed up on the opposite side of the map from said scorpion. Equally naturally, the liason did not. And decided to make a beeline for the GIANT SCORPION THAT WAS POUNDING A SOLDIER TO DEATH WITH A PAIR OF TROUSERS. No clue why since the caravan, the fort, the expedition leader, indeed everything on the map, was in the opposite direction. At least he realized his mistake before he became the next victim.

Bought a barrel of gremlin blood off the dwarven caravan. I'm sure I'll find some use for it eventually.

Aquifer piercing is going well, at least as well as can be expected given the extreme laziness of my architect/mechanic--it seems like he goes on break after almost every job! (Not a bug, I'm afraid. His personality screen states, "He doesn't go out of his way to do more work than necessary. He is occasionally given to procrastination.")

Hmm. One of my immigrants is a Novice Lasher. Maybe...

Next time: Checking Legends Mode to see if I can find those pants!
So it turns out that dumping magma on skeletons is either a really bad idea or maybe like the best idea ever.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3910 on: June 22, 2010, 07:38:00 pm »

Well after abandoning Postmines to its fate at the hands of the unkillable flying vomit, I created the new settlement of Anvilhand. I immediately set my dwarves to begin constructing my fort, and things have been going quite well so far. Compared to my other ocean forts this one is being built quickly. I guess all those failures did give me the benefit of experience. Even better, I've already found orthlocase, cobaltite, and petrified wood; some of my favorite stones. Despite being the cause of demise for my last fort, I've decided to dig into the caverns again.

I also decided to exact revenge against nature by killing a bonobo.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

madk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • pineapplemachine
« Reply #3911 on: June 22, 2010, 08:01:52 pm »

I had a goblin ambush. It was nothing major. My map is littered with traps.

But my dwarves avoided my trap hotspots like the plague. They literally ran around them when if they went through the goblins would have died or gotten caged for absolute certain. I lost about 10 dwarves to the goblins. Only one was killed by my ripe militia, the rest are caged, waiting to plummet to their deaths once my pit (which was already in the works before they showed up) is finished.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3912 on: June 22, 2010, 08:12:35 pm »

just got an artifact emerald.... "Kokeb Tobot, the Dweller of Authority" 

"This is a perfect emerald. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of emerald"

96000 dwarfbucks. valuable, but pretty much useless...
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

AxisKiller

• Bay Watcher
  • What's the worst that could happen?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3913 on: June 22, 2010, 08:18:46 pm »

Oh, nobles. Always demanding the nigh impossible.

Unfortunately for me, this request is actually impossible.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 08:31:49 pm by AxisKiller »

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3914 on: June 22, 2010, 08:21:26 pm »

You can't make anything out of slade. You can't even mine it.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Pages: 1 ... 259 260 [261] 262 263 ... 3842