Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6109553 times)

Hugna

• Bay Watcher
  • Till the Earth!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #3120 on: May 24, 2010, 11:37:07 pm »

Well, ever since 7 cats died, my dwarven child threw 3 tantrums, then berserked, and had to be killed, then my expedition leader threw a tantrum over his death, and luckily, he only got a beating, and 25 days in prison. And with more miserable dwarves, i'm gonna need to expand my jail from 4/2, to 16/2 before everyone berserks. Gah. I'm lucky my sheriff isn't miserable, or i'd be gone.

I may restart, but the same event will happen. And having to fix up more jail cells are gonna be pretty tough, cuz i gotta prepare tables, food stockpiles, move the stone the hell out, get a chain ready, chairs... gonna take a while. So now all i need to do is wait for a berserker apocolypse.

Turambar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3121 on: May 25, 2010, 12:22:57 am »

Genned what is seriously the most perfectest site ever. Somehow, the layer of low z mountains surrounding the deep gray triangle mountains got eroded away, so I did a 16x16 embark on a named mountain, with a brook running through it, and a heavily forested sandy area that was terrifying. 49 z levels from peak top to the forest. The brook is on the forest level. 49 z level sheer walls to play with,  plus all the underground fun. Right now, I'm building on a jutting out section, where the brook did a horseshoe bend. I've got a tall watchtower overlooking several levels of bridges back and forth across the gap, and I'm working on a pump stack to bring the brook up about 30 levels to some farming zones.

I always wanted to try counting my FPS on my toes

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3122 on: May 25, 2010, 12:35:28 am »

Either i F'ed something up, or I've got anti-bed dwarves.
Its been going like this:

+1 Bed made.
Place & Assign Bed.
+1 Rampaging Dwarf.
-1 Bed.
-1 or more dwarves.
Repeat.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

SheepishOne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3123 on: May 25, 2010, 01:02:40 am »

Either i F'ed something up, or I've got anti-bed dwarves.
Its been going like this:

+1 Bed made.
Place & Assign Bed.
+1 Rampaging Dwarf.
-1 Bed.
-1 or more dwarves.
Repeat.

Sounds like you've got dwarves who made the mistake of talking to one another. In the future, break up any and all parties. An easy way to do this is to never assign a meeting area to a room structure (like a dining room). Simply set it as the room it's supposed to be, and then use the 'i' interface to designate the room as a zone, and set it to meeting area.

I had just one party this game and, with just one goblin ambush, there have been probably 8-9 deaths through rampage, and even more through melancholy. They keep trying to deconstruct the rooms that give them happy thoughts, so it's a great environment all around.
You're flocked if you do and flocked if ya don't.

Geti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3124 on: May 25, 2010, 01:26:50 am »

But then where would you get your fun from?

SpacemanSpiff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3125 on: May 25, 2010, 02:06:57 am »

The first elven caravan brought a tame Giant Desert Scorpion for sale!  They wanted almost 3000 dorfbucks for it, much more than I was expecting to spend on a few logs and a nice well-rope.  But I put my immigrant legendary bone-carver to work, and after he carved his way through a donkey and a bull (yummy!) I now have a pet that will give the next kobold thief a very painful surprise.

Any advice on the best way to use it, so that it won't get dogpiled by the first group of goblins?  Assign it to my militia captain?  Tie it up as a front-line defense?  Or tie a couple of puppies in front of it to detect ambushes, and keep it as a reserve?  Maybe in a special room with a nice RELEASE THE SCORPION lever...

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3126 on: May 25, 2010, 03:14:11 am »

I got my magma drowning chamber problem sorted out. Then I went looking for the caverns. Dug down 40+ z-levels before I found the cavern. I'm not sure if that's because I embarked on a volcano with high elevation or what. I was starting to think I'd messed up something in the world gen parameters. I changed some settings to make more wide open, large caverns. I can't tell if the cavern I found is really the top layer cavern or if I just happened to miss the first one. The cavern had a Reptile Man civilization which I slaughtered.

Next I plan to wall in the top of the volcano to prevent arial invaders near my magma workshops. Then I'll make a magma pump to pour down the cavern staircase just in case I need it. Since my manger/bookkeeper/chief medical/broker dwarf has already had his strange mood, I made him my arsenal dwarf too. He's the most hard working noble I've ever had. He is assigned to his own burrow/safehouse to prevent him from dying.
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3127 on: May 25, 2010, 06:37:22 am »

Hi!

I really like my current fortress, even though it is extremely young. And accordingly, the game has already started sabotaging me:

The spring of the second year has turned to summer and no elven caravan. Given that I have settled in the middle of a forest with a living elven civ, it is impossible for them to be beyond reach. I currently have 2 theories: 1. The dwarven merchants from the first year told them that I don't trade (I minimized my production to keep immigrant numbers low) or 2. The elves are at war with my civ. I have to admit that I had not checked for the latter possibility as I hadn't encountered such a case in any of the current versions. Given that I picked the biggest dwarven civ, there is a possibility of such a grudge. I guess things will never get to normal, especially since I have INVADERS turned off?

But that sabotage seems to be an answer to all the good news:

During the first year, I only had 7 immigrants, bringing my fortress population to 14! Yay!

During the first winter, I successfully breached the aquifer on a very good scale!

And the best thing of all: It is now early summer in the second year, and I just got the 5th marriage in that fortress - bringing my populace to 5 married couples and 4 singles. And in within less than two years! This is what I had always hoped for.

Deathworks

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #3128 on: May 25, 2010, 07:04:00 am »

My POW camp is at capacity.  :(

Stripping these guys all naked is sure to take two RL weeks at the very least.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3129 on: May 25, 2010, 07:06:08 am »

Relised my fort will never get traders ... *crys*

Oh lol Shurikane, that one elf sure looks lonly in there doesn't it?

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3130 on: May 25, 2010, 07:08:57 am »

My second 2010 fortress (the first collapsed due to tantrum spirals after a massive-scale Crundle invasion), in its 4th year, is starting to become a challenge:
- 87 people due to massive immigrant waves (I guess all those exceptional gold goblets made from lead bars and the gem bed artifact played no small part in it)
- I forgot to make steel shoes and gauntlets for everyone: after 2goblin ambushes I have 4 legendary axedwarves with at least a missing foot and/or hand
- in order to sustain my steelmaking industry I searched for magma and found adamantine! Praise me! Now if only my best strand extractor wasn't in bed without both feet (see above)...
- just because I'm sado-masochistic, the alternative route I designed for invaders is a VERY winding, long tunnel which cherry-taps goblins with countless stonefall traps (yes, they suck and they're painful to reload but I find them amusing) and if they survive, the reward is a row of 20 cage traps before the corridor passes through the barracks... Now that I've got magma though I might change that a bit...

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3131 on: May 25, 2010, 07:11:31 am »

Hi!

Oh lol Shurikane, that one elf sure looks lonly in there doesn't it?

You know, I desperately tried to forget the thought the description Shurikane gave of what is going to happen next. And then you come in and give me thoughts that are even worse (T_T)

Deathworks

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3132 on: May 25, 2010, 07:27:04 am »

I embarked on a terrifying glacier, and so far I've had no casualties. About 9 Skeletal Yetis have tried to attack, but each time my single Macedwarf has broken all of their limbs off. A few zombie yetis and a couple of zombie crocodiles down in the caves tried to attack, but the dogs took care of them by swarming tactics. Three living yetis were soon dead and turned into meat, once I got a speardwarf. This is probably the best fort I've ever had.

Digging down deep for magma now, I want a metal industry starting here. Then I shall pave my ice castle with gold.

Servu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3133 on: May 25, 2010, 07:55:53 am »

I've been constructing my big dining hall tower and pitting all the stray black bears that can't keep their paws off my booze  >:(

A serpent guy has been beating the hell out of a filth FB in my caves. For three years now. If possible, I'll let them continue the duel till Judgement Day (around 1320 if my schedule holds)

Wait... Goblins have flying mounts. Oh shit.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3134 on: May 25, 2010, 08:22:20 am »

I'm sealing off the first cavern layer to dig out my fort. I met my first wild animal this fort today - a now-deceased giant olm that decided to harass my dwarves.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 3842