Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 293 294 [295] 296 297 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099449 times)

Dbuhos

• Bay Watcher
  • Carbon Strain
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #4410 on: July 24, 2010, 04:01:18 am »

A fisherman just got a strange mood and claimed a leather workshop..
I wonder what will he do...

This is my first strange mood dwarf :3

Elf caravan arrived => I killed them all

Found a cave system, my first one...

Fisherman went insane and didn't finish his shit. :C

So much shit happen all of sudden. AWESOME !!!

And the game crashed, so awesome... :'( :'( :'(
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 04:04:55 am by Dbuhos »

setles

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4411 on: July 24, 2010, 05:33:54 am »

4 useless artifects then this

Mandaril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4412 on: July 24, 2010, 06:24:47 am »

So, I'm playing like my 20th/50th fortress and I finally realized how to designate a well as a "water source".

I always wondered why I couldn't designate anything as water source....why couldn't I do it? Because I only covered the water/well itself with zone and the option never lighted up.

Now I misclicked one too far and the zone expanded to the square next to well and....TADAA! "Water Source" -square assignable.Sooo the "water source" -tile doesn't represent where the water source is, but places where dwarves can drink/use the water.... DUH.

I feel so stupid.
Oddom Adagsibrek, war Mandrill (Tame)
"He is incredibly skinny yet gigantic overall. His hair is brown. His skin is cinnamon. His upper body bears a very short straight scar. His left front leg bears the marks of old wounds, including a tiny straight scar. His right front foot bears a very short straight scar. His throat bears a massive curving scar. His eyes are orange."

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4413 on: July 24, 2010, 07:29:47 am »

oh god
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4414 on: July 24, 2010, 07:31:45 am »

I just got two ambushes in the first year.

Lots of fun!
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf

Ladde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4415 on: July 24, 2010, 07:36:37 am »

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-9244-duskmountain
This is my fortress.

What should I do?
Should I just sit and wait for some attacks. I had Goblins on the Embark screen, but I haven't seen any.
And I've dug down to level 100, and I found no Magma yet.

This is my first successful fortress so any tips would be nice.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4416 on: July 24, 2010, 08:12:19 am »

One of my soldiers killed a huge green glass humanoid forgotten beast, and soon after he gave his sword a name. Zonkivish, aka. Helmlancer. Good name, now it's a kickass sword in my eyes.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4417 on: July 24, 2010, 08:20:08 am »

That's great name. It would have been even better for, say, a spear, but who's complaining.

Nothing interesting here. I'm still annoyed about the fact that I have to irrigate before I can plant crops, though.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4418 on: July 24, 2010, 10:28:31 am »

step 1: A sasquatch met my militia commander, who has become attached to his bizmuth bronze battle axe. he cut both his legs off which sailed off in nice arcs.

step 2: ....

step 3: Sasquatch soap! i liked to imagine my tyler durden fashioning it into large foot shapes...
This is a blank sig.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #4419 on: July 24, 2010, 12:18:19 pm »

Updated from 08 to 11, so if I'm lucky, I won't have to deal with any more unkillable blobs (since IIRC one of the post-31.08 versions was supposed to have fixed that). It also seems while I was preoccupied locking down and crushing the immortal blob, a giant lobster Forgotten Beast snuck in. That is now the third time they have got in and messed up my pump stack (which due to most of the pumps being hanging from others, makes it a real pain). NO MORE. I shall now wall off my entire pump stack, which should keep just about everything out of it.

Urist McTaverish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4420 on: July 24, 2010, 12:23:48 pm »

Trying to pick a bedroom layout for my fort.  So far almost all my starters have slept outside, so I need to set up bedrooms quick to give positive thoughts.
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.
But at least after all the chaos, the weather cleared.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #4421 on: July 24, 2010, 12:32:13 pm »

Oh, wow. It's a good thing I updated to 31.11. Not 10 minutes after loading up my game, another blob made its way into my fort. A few hastily drafted dwarves (I have no standing military) managed to kill it, with just one dwarf heavily wounded (who will likely die, but regardless, it certainly beats the immortal blob). Yay bugfixes!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4422 on: July 24, 2010, 01:43:39 pm »

It is glorious!  My soldiers are actually SPARRING!  It is a miracle! And my crossbow users are practicing at the ranges too!  .11 is my dreams come true.

...Of course the sparring soldiers are sparring with adamantine greatswords... so it is likely to end in tears, but still, glorious.

EDIT:  Though now my combat log is being spammed by a forgotten beast getting caught in boiling clouds of it's own extract after it got shot with a bolt fired through a fortification from the main stairway.  I doubt I want that extract on any of my soldiers, but the thing is moving around too much for me to feasibly set up a crossbow station.   Hmm, need a plan... maybe magma...
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 01:52:14 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

The Yellow Peril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4423 on: July 24, 2010, 02:49:09 pm »

Most of todays Dwarf Fortress playing was a waste.

I built my big HFS-trapper in my quest to build a fortress in hell, only to find out that for some reason the HFS can actually walk through fortifications. I can't think of any way to flood the HFS with magma without simultanously letting the HFS escape, now that fortifications apparently let creatures walk through them when they also have magma pouring through them :(

I get really frustrated by things like this. My plan SHOULD work, it's just some stupid bug or poorly designed feature that ruins it.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4424 on: July 24, 2010, 03:08:58 pm »

I actually pierced and cleared out the fun a while back (couple years fort-wise, perhaps a week ago real time), but for lulz:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Brute: It does the body good. Lightly spiced with syrup.

What's humorous is this clown type had dangerous blood which causes blistering of the bone. So yeah... Clearing out that fun stuff gave me enough meat for this fort to last decades. Maybe clowns should not result in edible products (but still allow butchering for bone and other parts).

As an aside, some of my clowns are formed of gem types, whose severed body parts which leave "[clown] red diamond". I assume those can't be used as actual gems in any way?

On an unrelated note, my dwarves are either completely apathetic of the fort's history, or wholly in love with the history of the region. Despite a functioning cloth economy which involves making some cloth/leather crafts and then decorating them with sewn images, very few seem to actually involve my own fort, and none at all related to the piercing of the fun stuff (and the subsequent slaughter of clowns).
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 03:14:19 pm by Niveras »
Pages: 1 ... 293 294 [295] 296 297 ... 3842