Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2803 2804 [2805] 2806 2807 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6118695 times)

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #42060 on: June 24, 2015, 03:28:40 pm »

AdvMode or even AdvFort would be better, for stockades/exploration, IMO.

Anyone ever tried wetting up their own empire, in AdvFOrt or no, by leaveing a buncha people in the country?
ADVFOrt, what is that?
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42061 on: June 24, 2015, 03:35:53 pm »

Started a glacier/arctic ocean embark on a lark. Failed to check neighbours, but we seem to have gotten lucky - elves, humans, goblins, the site has it all.

After a scouting force of two goblins kept us bottled up for a full season (two ranged goblins just stood on the border of the map), we got a proper assault in the summer of the third year. It was still only ten ranged goblins, but at least most of them decided to actually attack the fort. By this time, we had two legendary soldiers. Most of the work was done by the axe-wielding commander, who is completely fearless in the face of danger - she's not tragedy-hardened but didn't get a single unhappy thought from the six goblins she hacked to bits.
I'm not sure that there's any point to making armour other than helmets: all attacks get blocked, parried and dodged in actual combat once the relevant skills are high enough.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42062 on: June 24, 2015, 03:49:42 pm »

AdventureFort, its a mod in which you can do DF mode stuff in adventure mode. I dont play it myself.
One wheel short of a wagon

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42063 on: June 24, 2015, 06:31:42 pm »

Some FUN in Tombsthrone.   :o

Hospital gets broken in by having a woodcutter lose a hand to a goblin snatcher by the main gate.  Followed by a fool trying to *clean* the interior of the garbage dump - where he gets hit by a falling goblin corpse and suffers a broken leg.   ::)

So things are going along with my expectation for the dwarven caravan and the liaison when the "AMBUSH" message appears.  A goblin swordsman... already *inside* the fort.  He found the Trade Depot entrance while the rest of his friends have to go around the outside and run through a few traps.

OK.  Just lock the Trade Depot doors and let the caravan guards have him.  Oh, no doors installed.

So lock some hatches and keep him sealed off on that level until the anti-wildlife militia squad arms up and I get the available gear on a few other dwarves.   What do you mean there are *no* internal hatch sets installed yet.

Activate the training militia squads.  Nope, none of those either.

So I put together three ad hoc militia squads by appointing a few more squad commanders.  I have:
1. Anti-wildlife squad in copper and some bronze mail with some iron weapons.  Beef it up to 6 axe and add two spear dwarves.
2. Put the miners in a squad and tell them to grab mail shirts and shields
3. Put another six dwarves with some crossbow ability in a squad and just give them crossbows.  Hopefully they can get quivers, bolts, and the crossbows in time.   I position this squad in my large forge room since most of the equipment is there and it should give them at least a chance to get a volley off if the goblin gets that far down.

I also set up a new burrow down in the lower mining galleries and set the alerts to pull all the other dwarves down there to get them out of the way and hopefully buy a little more time.

The two melee squads are given a few moments to get equipment, and then given attack orders to go after the goblin, who is now on the main stairs by now.

The goblin gets literally *mobbed* by a dozen dwarves in various states of being unarmed and unarmored.  And a stray dog joins in as well.  The goblin kills one dwarf and takes the foot off a squad commander.  At this point he is "tired" and also beaten up from being punched a lot.  At this point a dwarf arrives with an actual weapon (battleaxe) and proceeds to dismember the goblin.

The rest of that ambush team is busy coming around to the front gate.  And another ambush team appears at this point to chase down and kill the liaison.  The archer goblin leading one squad also stops on a small rise and proceeds to fire arrows at my fleeing livestock.

Following their kill I give the melee troops more time to armor and arm themselves and then position the wildlife squad near the main gate and doors while the pick squad awaits a level down as a backup.

The traps at the outer gate maim a few more goblins.  The archer goblin opts to send a few arrows into a pet wolf who is trying to get in the gate.  Things look like the animals will make it in and the goblins will be dealt with by the traps for the most part.

And then I notice the axe dwarf yelling "URRRRIISSST JENNNKINS!!!" as he charges from the Main Gate towards ten goblins including two archers.  He's just Competent with that axe too.  So, do I leave him to do his suicide charge alone?  Nope, this is Dwarf Fortress!  So the melee squad is sent out to deal with these pesky invaders.  Blood for Armok!

The fort Militia Commander and his sparring partner in the wildlife squad both go down in the courtyard from head shots.  Another dwarf gets a leg wound (broken) in the melee.  The goblins get mopped up, helped by the fact that half of them were lying on the ground already due to getting stabbed by menacing spike weapon traps. 

More fodder for my doctor to work on (who likes helping others).  Plus a corpse count in my crypts two years in that exceeds what some of my forts hit in a decade.  One just recently from a dwarf deciding that a bunch of "R" traffic restrictions did not make a short-cut thru an active coil accelerator too dangerous to ignore.   SPLAT.  Exploded dwarf.

Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

TechnoXan

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundles + Kobolds = AWESOME!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42064 on: June 24, 2015, 10:15:56 pm »

The above post is, AWESOME!! Maaaan, I have had no real goblin siege yet! Well, Armok is pleased with your work.  ;D
By the by, if your wondering why I use so many smiley faces, its because I smile a lot when I talk. So I use them here so I don't come off the wrong way.

And so it begins...
OPEN THE GATES!

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42065 on: June 25, 2015, 02:03:03 am »

Copperfell has had several necromancer and werebeast ambushes lately; luckily so far everyone has managed to get to safety in time. Looks like training everyone's Observer skill to high levels is really paying off; the intruders have each time been spotted far enough to give everyone time to escape.

The unwelcome inherited Duke of Questedstake has been harassing me with constant mandates. I'm studiously ignoring them, of course, but eventually I got so annoyed I decided to assign him to hunting duty in hope he'll meet something unpleasant out there. So far he has only met badgers but he does bring in valuable meat every now and then.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

The Riddled Basement

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise Armok
    • View Profile
« Reply #42066 on: June 25, 2015, 05:25:15 am »

Embarked on a volcano near a Tower, proceeded to build a lava moat and filled it up.
The undead jumped over it, it was a massacre hahaha
Now to Reclam!
-- Make a dining room around the 25z pit floor and tada, easy tragedy training --

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42067 on: June 25, 2015, 12:38:13 pm »

Just experienced my first ever game crash. Trying to autodump around 5000 pieces of leather seems to mess with the game's inner workings. Somehow things didn't break until I designated a new hauling route for a thread QSP, though. Man, this is weird.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #42068 on: June 25, 2015, 12:43:25 pm »

Took a break from my slaughtering in adventure mode... I really want to find a !!FUN!! but also fun fort soon. Every fort I've been at before was either !!FUN!! or just fun. I guess ever since 34.11, we haven't really been getting too much !!FUN!!... Maybe I'll go back to play that.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42069 on: June 25, 2015, 01:03:10 pm »

Update on the crashes: It has nothing to do with mass-autodumping of leather. It has everything to do with hauling routes and minecarts. For some reason, designating a quantum stockpile for thread crashes the game. I'll try a few variations and see if I can get it to work.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42070 on: June 25, 2015, 01:07:07 pm »

Update on the crashes: It has nothing to do with mass-autodumping of leather. It has everything to do with hauling routes and minecarts. For some reason, designating a quantum stockpile for thread crashes the game. I'll try a few variations and see if I can get it to work.
happens to me too, stop trying after a while and made the booby trapped trading post instead.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Sig-texts!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #42071 on: June 25, 2015, 01:08:35 pm »

Getting the odd tantrum because my Dwarves saw some Goblins die.

Damn weaklings. Where's the Dwarven indominatable will?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42072 on: June 25, 2015, 01:13:42 pm »

The QSP is functional now. I changed the stockpile not to accept some exotic thread types (undulating, multicolored, etc. - apparently some sort of divine materials) and I avoided a minor controls error that I had done twice before (designated a new stop for an existing QSP route instead of making a new route and then a stop). Also, I didn't do trading with the merchants beforehand, although I don't think that has anything to do with it.

One of those three things was causing a crash. The most likely one is probably the second one - accidentally creating a new stop for an existing route. I could test and see but I'm not interested in breaking stuff right now. Maybe later.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42073 on: June 25, 2015, 01:14:27 pm »

Getting the odd tantrum because my Dwarves saw some Goblins die.

Damn weaklings. Where's the Dwarven indominatable will?
maybe you need more kittens dropped several stories in your dining room
GENERATION 31:
Sig-texts!

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #42074 on: June 25, 2015, 01:15:24 pm »

Or drop a trade depot full of elves down there. That's always fun.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.
Pages: 1 ... 2803 2804 [2805] 2806 2807 ... 3842