Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2779 2780 [2781] 2782 2783 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6118195 times)

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #41700 on: June 04, 2015, 01:34:22 am »

Restricted equipment is a feature of exceedingly hot biomes. If people wear nothing but shoes and caps, the area is so insanely hot that the surface cannot be safely visited (as you found out). Did you fiddle with the "temperature" settings in world generation? I've only ever seen such extreme heat when i ramped up maximum temperature quite a bit.

Interesting; that would explain it. Yes, I genned this world with an experimental template with lots of small changes to various min/max values and frequencies. I have genned several worlds with this template, this time the RNG seems to have produced an infernal jungle world.

!!FUN!! times ahead...
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41701 on: June 04, 2015, 02:04:23 am »

[BUILDINGDESTROYER:2] doesn't seem to be as reliable as I had hoped. The Forgotten Beast currently rampaging around the third cavern level is completely ignoring the accessible floor hatch that I'm trying to use to bait him into my FB Prison.

Anyone have a good explanation for this? He's been chasing bugbats and crundles around for about a year now while I got the prison ready. The gate is wide open, but whenever he's near the entrance and the hatch is accessible, he just completely ignores it and wanders out of my vision. I could just leave the hatch open for a few years and see if he ever destroyed it. My setup is reset-able and immune to one hatch destruction...
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41702 on: June 04, 2015, 02:08:58 am »

I think floor hatches are only destroyable from the bottom.
Edit, checked the wiki, I'm wrong, it's the opposite, they can only destroy a floor hatch from below if theres a ramp next to it or something. Building destroyers can't destroy a building that's on a different Z level to them, maybe it's easiest path to the hatch leads to a square that's above the floor hatch so it doesn't bother attempting to destroy it?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 02:13:00 am by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41703 on: June 04, 2015, 02:21:03 am »

Doors will work, or a floor hatch eventually if it's a monkey or something... my first fort died that way, as FBs can OPEN artifact floor grates.
One wheel short of a wagon

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41704 on: June 04, 2015, 02:37:12 am »

Floor grates are unopenable without a lever. I very much doubt your beasty actually destroyed or opened the grate; rather, he/she/it probably got in another way.

I did a little more !!SCIENCE!! and figured it out. The beasty in question is rampaging around the caverns destroying every living thing he comes across, including at least one other Forgotten Beast. (Two others, the one made of yellow spessartine and one other that was never in my vision range, are also dead - to cave dragons.) Whenever he doesn't have some creature to chase down and massacre, he heads for the hatch, but something else spawns every time he finishes off the latest set of crundles or elk birds or whatever. His kill list is getting longer and longer and my hopes of killing him without an animal for bait are growing smaller and smaller. But on the other hand, animal bait. So yeah. This was an unforeseen complication, but it shall be dealt with.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41705 on: June 04, 2015, 02:56:24 am »

Sorry, think it was a hatch actually. Or something. Anyway, the tosser opened it.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41706 on: June 04, 2015, 03:04:07 am »

Update: With kitten in place on top of the hatch, the beasty is quite willing to come into my trap system. He's moving one square every 14 ticks, and I'm keeping him in play by locking and unlocking the hatch while I wait for a dwarf to pull the lever that will seal the drawbridge behind him. As soon as that's up, I can leave the hatch unlocked, remove the kitten, and admire my new zoo piece.

My system is relatively complicated. Allow me to show it to you.

__
On the left is the top level. It has all the dorf-safe access points and the "ductwork" of the project. You can see the kitten sitting on the hatch in the bottom left. On the bottom level, you can see that each module has a 9x1x1 containment pod with a 2x1 raising drawbridge on one end and a hatch cover on the other. The pods also have hatches just inside the drawbridge, for reasons I'll explain in a moment.

On the top level, above the center of the pod, you can see a set of floor grates. The pumps next to them will eventually be supplied with water and magma for the purpose of obsidianizing the beasty if I find that to be necessary. The two drawbridges inside the pod can be raised to lock the beasty into those five squares, allowing me to flood it with the right amount of magma and then water. The second hatch, just inside the outside drawbridge, is to play the beasty back and forth inside those 5 relevant squares until the inner drawbridges raise.

There are four drawbridges quarantining the hatches and the grates, because if there's a viable path through the hatch to one of the grates, the beasty will just destroy the grate right over its head instead of pathing to the hatch first. Keeping it moving between the hatch and the drawbridge by locking and unlocking the hatch is necessary to controlling its motion until the pod is sealed.

On the bottom level, there's a bit of ductwork with a drawbridge to let the beasty out on the north side of each pod. That drawbridge doesn't currently lead anywhere except to another hatch, which is for dorf use only. Eventually that access will be used to dig a tunnel for the beasty to go where I want it to go.

The whole thing is tightly secured with drawbridges and hatches in abundance to prevent unnecessary !!fun!!. The lever system is a nightmare. I've only got this module complete so far; the other four are not needed at the moment. I'll likely wind up repeating the entire system for the first and second cavern layers.

Well, now back to playing the beasty. My finger will get tired of advancing one step by the time I'm through...

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41707 on: June 04, 2015, 09:45:45 am »

just noticed my military commander is wielding a spear,a steel war hammer, a steel shield(whereever he got that) and a silver warhammer...how is that even possible

falcn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41708 on: June 04, 2015, 09:58:00 am »

My dwarves love recursion

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41709 on: June 04, 2015, 10:47:22 am »

F*CKING METAL ARTIFACT, dude!

Anyway, Angelious, isn't it just like one does in adventure mode?

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41710 on: June 04, 2015, 12:01:32 pm »

My fort now enjoys a fully automated supply of dwarven baklava (flour, press cake, oil, dwarven syrup) thanks to Stockflow! All other major industries have also been automated, except for metal. Workflow is awesome, but I was never able to get the hang of it for soap. With Stockflow, I've been able to set up both tallow and oil production that feed from the same ash & lye supply.

conein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41711 on: June 04, 2015, 12:15:29 pm »

I finally found this!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit: I started and the game gave me 2 free female elephants. Should i butcher them (and probably starve) or use them as my only defense?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 12:31:51 pm by conein »

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #41712 on: June 04, 2015, 12:54:15 pm »

That may just be the most dwarfy artifact ever. A menacing spike that includes recursive images of itself, a menacing spike. It menaces with spikes all the way down.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41713 on: June 04, 2015, 01:06:09 pm »

If only it menaced with spikes of aluminium.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41714 on: June 04, 2015, 05:55:25 pm »

The Forgotten Beast trap has its second resident: a great noseless skunk twisted into humanoid form. It has a gaunt appearance. Beware its deadly spittle!

It went for the kitten-on-a-hatch bait just as predictably as the previous three-eyed firebreathing crocodile and it's now sitting in a secure 9x1 cell with grates and a pump system sitting menacingly above its head in case I decide it's not useful enough to keep alive.

We'll see how fast the rest of the cells fill up. I may have to extend the system into a new zone. It takes up more space than I'd really like...
Pages: 1 ... 2779 2780 [2781] 2782 2783 ... 3842