Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2781 2782 [2783] 2784 2785 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6118345 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #41730 on: June 06, 2015, 07:37:46 pm »

Finally equipped my men.

With Bronze, but one step at a time.
Bronze is harder to acquire than iron, so really that's an even better feat. Rather appropriately, the scarcity of tin is what ushered in the iron age over the bronze...

ThePeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41731 on: June 06, 2015, 08:56:53 pm »

Bronze is harder to acquire than iron, so really that's an even better feat. Rather appropriately, the scarcity of tin is what ushered in the iron age over the bronze...
Isn't Bronze also a slight bit better than Iron for armor in-game?

Edit: Addendum: A forgotten beast crocodile with lidless eyes has invaded my caverns and engaged a squad of reptile men in combat. Its firebreath is getting deflected by their shields while they pepper him with blowdarts and spear strikes. Hopefully one of them lands a lucky hit and finishes him, because I have no viable way to directly engage it yet.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 09:53:59 pm by ThePeanut »
ThePeanut likes Dwarf Fortress for its difficulty, Killer Instinct for its characters, Tolkien and H.P. Lovecraft for their works of fiction, Scimitars for their curved blades, and Dogs for their barks. He prefers to consume cheese whenever possible. If possible, he would spend the rest of his days not doing much of anything.
He dreams of mastering a skill.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41732 on: June 06, 2015, 11:36:39 pm »

A week ago Endok Daggerclouted became queen of The Dangerous Urn, replacing her mother Alath Staffbasis. A week ago Fath Keydimpled became mayor of the Hairy Shields, replacing Asob Containedoiled.

Oh, it seemed the montainhome had some personnel changes.

First of all, my fort got a new liaison, I didn't remember the name of the old liaison but I did remembered he/she was a ranger, but this one was a merchant. The old gelder queen was replaced by her daughter, a hammerdwarf. And I laughed at the name "Hairy Shields", maybe they made their shields out of raw leathers.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41733 on: June 07, 2015, 12:46:01 am »

Got a lucky embark that is just swimming in limonite and gold ore.  In just 2 years I have 1 million urists worth of created wealth and 2 fully armored squads in iron or better with reasonably high skills. 

A human caravan freaked out and dropped the whole load when they accidentally got a glimpse inside my corpse dump so that was profitable.

My beautiful new outdoor gold well with mist waterfall was instantly sullied when I realized it was on a dump tile, and the team decided to toss all the corpses into it for a season.  Then when the cave adapted dwarves started using the well, it turned into vomitorium.  I enjoy reading about how much the guys like it.
!!Stunning!!
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41734 on: June 07, 2015, 03:07:35 am »

One of the first artifacts in my new fort is Wirecaught the Waxy Master, a gold war hammer. Just the thing my hammer lord militia commander needs...
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41735 on: June 07, 2015, 05:19:49 am »

Nice, though the name wasn't amazing I loved the plat war hammer Urist McLegendary wielded, Mengnosing, or Lashbrushed, they're amazingly fun in fort or adventurer mode.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41736 on: June 07, 2015, 05:37:23 am »

Cleaned up some old projects, incl. old wave pool attempt. Removed all the old reactors to be replaced by a more modern reactor design (that should require no manual priming). Made a posh "bar" for lever pullers close to the fluid motion control center. Connected the new plumbing to the aquifer. Working on magma plumbing.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41737 on: June 07, 2015, 09:03:11 am »

The goblins came and attacked my outdoor meeting hall. They killed a war cat jaguar, a war dog, some pets and a random new recruit before slaughtered by my mighty army.
I quickly dumped all their corpses/limbs via the stocks menu and memorised the recruit.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41738 on: June 07, 2015, 09:09:44 am »

6FPS right now. Stil, better than 4. Only 3 years in, too! Will things get much better once my dwarves stop loading cage traps and carrying clothes through the caverns, and I seal these places off, as well as my vast mines, and they all hang out near the dining room or haul stuff the craftsmen make?
One wheel short of a wagon

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #41739 on: June 07, 2015, 09:15:55 am »

A new install did not fix Bastiongate's corruption. I fear it is lost.

Pearofclubs

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of -it-
    • View Profile
« Reply #41740 on: June 07, 2015, 09:42:41 am »

Currently working on building a massive overground bridge to connect two continents.
About a quarter of the way done, although I'm worried that my production is too focused and I'm gonna get dead cus goblins.
As a fun little side note, migrants keep showing up on the wrong side of the ocean, where they dehydrate to death because no one brought an axe or a pick, and they're all too stubborn to admit they were wrong and go home.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41741 on: June 07, 2015, 10:22:43 am »

Can you catapult blocks? If you fired a bunch of ballistae arrows at them if the problem got too serious, you MIGHT be able to decontruct 'em for wood.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #41742 on: June 07, 2015, 11:29:33 am »

Siege weapons require the missile to strike a wall and drop a z-level for it to survive, though. And you can't shoot blocks, no.

In terms of solutions, tunnel under the sea?

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41743 on: June 07, 2015, 11:39:44 am »

Pipe.Line.Under.The.Ocean?

More like A.Really.Massive.Oceanic.Kontrol-lane.

Maybe the last one needs work.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41744 on: June 07, 2015, 02:35:13 pm »

Zon Glazetyphoon, the countess consort of nearby fortress Basementauthors paid a surprise visit at my fortress. It appears he has been roaming the countryside as a weremammoth for several years and now popped in for some rampaging and mass murder. Too bad he happened to bump into a horde of sieging undead first.

I was sort of hoping these problems would solve each other but Zon didn't even manage to thin the undead ranks before getting run over. Will this cause a diplomatic incident?
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?
Pages: 1 ... 2781 2782 [2783] 2784 2785 ... 3842