Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2388 2389 [2390] 2391 2392 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6097540 times)

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #35835 on: July 17, 2014, 10:18:04 am »

Embarked on a three-rivers gorge with a waterfall.  Forgot to bring an anvil.  Dwarves would not build the bridge across... couldn't be bothered.  Had to dig a tunnel under one of the rivers and then tunnel back upwards and build the bridge from the other side.  Why?  Who knows?

On the upside, there's lots of coal and iron and flux.

Weirdness: I have a couple of multi-tile tree trunks and they cannot be cut.  They won't even accept flagging for cutting.  It's a desert, but I'm not interested in running a trailer park for elves, Arizona style!  Get those trees DOWN!
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #35836 on: July 17, 2014, 10:30:27 am »

I also didn't mention that one of my starting seven inherited the title of king a little before the monitor massacre, so he was pissed off and throwing around mandates and things.

Well he went insane and I thought I was rid of it, but one of my other starting seven just got the title and is pissed off now too. I guess the game is planning on killing all my dwarves off this way.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35837 on: July 17, 2014, 10:42:08 am »

everything is coming nicely with the new fortress, part of the first defense system is build, the idea is to both have walls and a bunker, the bunker covers the main structure, the walls cover the depot and the overground buildings, in the case goblins breach the walls the dorfs should be safe inside the bunker. first the defenses later the military, homes are being constructed at a good rate as they are in a layer of soil and there's plenty of extra room for the inmigrants, workshops are burning producing beds and doors for the upcoming people althought i have covered the requirements already, miners are expanding the warehouses. and a source for eggs and pork is being constructed, just need some livestock for it. overground farms have been made and theres plenty of food.

no caravans have arrived though, and the lack of trees (grassland biome) make it hard sometimes but otherwise not a problem.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35838 on: July 17, 2014, 10:53:35 am »

Playing my first minorly-successful fort in the new version, man I forgot how long things can take when you don't have convenience dfhack tools like vdig and digcircle.  (My dining room isn't a circle TRAVESTIES)

Got a High Master migrant glassmaster who promptly mooded in the second spring migration wave...on a map with no sand.  She was prone to anger, so I walled her in and hoped that the humie traders would bring her the raw green glass she needed before insanity hit.  The traders arrived, got in safely...and before I could get any dwarf to the depot to trade, she went berserk.  Now she's in a little six by six room with a kitten until she dehydrates/starves (strangely not attacking the kitten).  And of course to add insult to injury when I did manage to trade, there were two pieces of raw green glass waiting for me.  Sigh.

And then I got sieged.  In the second summer.  That shit is not cool.

So now we're walled into our hole in the ground (our dogs were an unfortunate sacrifice to the squad of gobbos) with the traders and a forlorn fisherdwarf standing next to the wall, desperately trying to fulfill his fishing job on the brook outside.  Sorry dude, no fishing for...a while.

Edit: The siege somehow ended before the traders even packed up to leave, so I unwalled myself.  There was a lone hammer goblin left, but the merchant made short work of them (amid a lot of the goblin screaming "Help!  Save me!" and the human lasher musing on the inevitability of death).  However, the death of the goblin horrified all traders in sight, which made them promptly scuttle their wagons and drop a ton of free shit.

Score.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 11:53:44 am by Clover Magic »

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35839 on: July 17, 2014, 11:05:33 am »

the first year caravan came and i was able to trade succesfully some shell crafts for extra picks, time to train some miners, the funny thing is, i dont have idlers ._.

oh well, i'll keep them for later. the fortress is growing strong, masons are busy making tables for the dinning hall

current wealth is 11100

EDIT: a flock of buzzards came and annoying the countryside, the dogs were able to take down two of them, they're being butchered right now, nest boxes have been completed, drawbridges and roofing of the bunker are ready, same for levers, just more mechanisms are neede in order to secure the first defense. the next step is to mass produce stone blocks for the second defenses.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 12:00:32 pm by xaritscin »

McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35840 on: July 17, 2014, 12:15:03 pm »

Trying to set up a stockpile for cooked meals; noticed I could set up a stockpile for prepared eyeless horror eye.

Currently being sieged by a number of elf corpses. They seem to be carring metal weapons, including crossbows. They don't seem to be causing any problems and they are standing next to some nefarious murk, so I am just ignoring them for now.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35841 on: July 17, 2014, 12:24:30 pm »

The berserk glassmaker finally discovered the kitten that's been walled in with her for two months and promptly began attacking.  However it seems kittens have graduated from harmless balls of fluff to fucking ninjas because the glassmaker tried to hit it until she fell over from over-exertion but never scored more than a glanced-off blow to one of its paws.  She finally dehydrated to death and was unwalled, the kitten non the worse for the wear despite being walled in with a berserk dwarf for three months.

Kittens, man.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35842 on: July 17, 2014, 12:33:32 pm »

my glassmaker was taken by a mood, all the fortress is busy building workshops and furnaces to see what the fuck does it wants to do...

EDIT: the idiot has taken a glass furnace and wants raw green glass, looks like this one is a failed attempt
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 12:35:29 pm by xaritscin »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #35843 on: July 17, 2014, 12:40:50 pm »

My dwarves just threw 10 parties within a single season on a population of 40 dwarves.

I'm guessing it has to do with the merrymaking preference that seems to be predominantly positive amongst my beardlings.

Time to turn off the meeting hall:yes option again on the dining hall, and restrict throwing parties to the lucky few who will get a private statue room later.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Bobnova

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35844 on: July 17, 2014, 12:42:01 pm »

That's the third glassmaking mood I've seen reference to this week. I had one too.
Now that I know they usually want green glass, I'll have some on hand in the future!

My fort is slowing crumbling after the berserk glassmaker.
It was starting to come back under control, and then a Werelizard was discovered on the main stairs. That caused a couple more deaths directly, plus some job cancellation related death. Now rather than three 0 happiness and a dozen or two <200 happiness almost the entire fort is <100.

One of the legendary miners is still happy, I'm considering walling it off and waiting for everybody to die.
how do I lizard Werewolf
ther seems to be a little gecko problem somehwere.
O gawd, drank all ten beers. And 3/5 of this at dinner.  I'm dronk.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35845 on: July 17, 2014, 12:50:07 pm »

I usually bring some sand on embark, it is only 1 point.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35846 on: July 17, 2014, 01:04:54 pm »

I usually do too, usually in sand and gem form already to help with sudden moods, but I derped with my points this embark and forgot.

For two years now I haven't gotten a liason, just getting the "How odd..." message.  Also was going to trade with the dorf caravan but the dumbasses saw the dead gobbo corpse in the stockpile, got horrified and ran off.

Bad for my relations, but good because again, a pile of free stuff for my struggling fort.  Not gonna complain.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35847 on: July 17, 2014, 01:10:59 pm »

I just got a migrant wave during the first summer, before the dwarf caravan even arrived. Now granted I haven't played in a long time but is this a recent change?

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35848 on: July 17, 2014, 01:12:09 pm »

No, you got migrants in the summer and autumn of the first year before, iirc.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35849 on: July 17, 2014, 01:14:45 pm »

fortunately the dorf was just struck with melancholy after failing the requests. the fort is growing quickly and have covered rooms for the next waves, the current population is arround 40 dorfs, once i finish with the chairs of the dinning hall i will put the masons to produce doors for the bedrooms, the dwarves seem happy so i dont expect any tantrum for the next years.

EDIT: getting low on wood, sent to chop a good chunk of the map, and gather more plants, one of the cooks was taken by a mood, i hope it ends well this time, everything running normal....but i noticed i dont have fuel here, will have to either rely in charcoal or dig deeper in search of it
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 01:42:17 pm by xaritscin »
Pages: 1 ... 2388 2389 [2390] 2391 2392 ... 3842