Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2341 2342 [2343] 2344 2345 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6101724 times)

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #35130 on: June 23, 2014, 08:55:42 am »

I've been trying to set up minecart logistics between the surface and the second cavern. Two dwarves have already died and one will probably never walk again assuming he survives the infection. The cart somehow stops after the first down ramp on the downward track and the impulse elevator somehow failed to push the cart all the way up.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

KiBoy

• Bay Watcher
  • You have been struck down! It was inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35131 on: June 23, 2014, 11:06:33 am »

But I still haven't figured out what to do with the levitating caravan... Any tips?

Build a drawbridge below their feet if possible and then raise it.
If that fails build a floortile ontop a support beside them and collaps it with a lever.
That outta wake 'em up.

Thanks for the tips. Once I get rid of the gobbo siege I'll be sure to try those... Damned merchants, who allowed them to defy dwarphysics?
"Ha-ha-halt in the name of the Obeisant Vegetation!  Okay, Princess, you can speak to the Necromancer now."
"A-anou, Necromancer-san, could...  C-Could I have your autograph?"
If you imagine an 8-bit Hinata with elf ears, it gets even more ridiculous ^_^

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #35132 on: June 23, 2014, 02:14:16 pm »

We found the magma sea which conveniently has an open section in the third cavern layer. More logistics! We've also captured a female jabberer, a female cave crocodile and we're considering the local draltha as well.

But first, a small problem needs to be dealt with.

"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35133 on: June 23, 2014, 02:35:51 pm »

We found the magma sea which conveniently has an open section in the third cavern layer. More logistics! We've also captured a female jabberer, a female cave crocodile and we're considering the local draltha as well.

But first, a small problem needs to be dealt with.

Trap it and use it for crossbow practice. Seriously, they make awesome training targets.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #35134 on: June 23, 2014, 03:12:46 pm »

The third cavern layer of Hammerflickered has been cleared of forgotten beasts. All 7 or so. The trap worked. Or at least, the bait worked. The beasts all stood one tile shy of the 10 spikes. So we wound up with 6 eldritch horrors all standing on top of one another in a cramped hallway admiring the artifact cabinet.

I decided to send in the military to clean it up. The forgotten beasts were all slain without trouble, the zircon humanoid with deadly dust proving itself to be not so deadly during the fight. Then once the dust settled and all the beasts were dead, all of the military passed out with complete bruising, blisters, and nausea. Not too bad, all the beasts are dead, the dust didn't cause them to melt or anything.

Then the seventh beast crawled out of the water. This whole time, it was off doing whatever. Now at the worst possible time it decided to show itself. Guess what, it's the web spitting quadruped of coral! Coming into a cramped, one tile wide corridor full of melee dwarves who were passed out at the time. Did I mention it shoots webs? Yeah. Everyone lots of dwarves died. Civilians started coming down to try and haul whatever, raw adamantine, the soldier's socks, something called them down into the beast's path. It was a slaughter.

Casualties are uncertain. There are at least 4 dwarves caught in webbed cage traps, most of my legendary military are dead, and countless dwarves are dead. Estimated deaths are ~20, maybe 30. All the miners appear to be dead, including the two founders. Various haulers died. Amongst the casualties were Domas Helmedpeace the Matched Match of Braids the Swordcaptain, who forged -and wielded - the adamantine artifact bastard sword Certainturmoils, as well as Catten Wanderedmind the Frenzied Blizzard of Metals from House Gorgeadmired, who was Domas' sparring partner and who wielded a steel short sword bought from a dwarf caravan, and the founding hammerdwarf Stakud Gloovedoor the Quill of Declining. All three were some of my favorite dwarves in the fort.

Stakud had 13 notable kills, 19 kills total.

Domas had 20 notable kills, 27 total.

Catten had 19 notable kills, 23 total.

On the bright side, Sibrek Channeledboat the Tin Confinement of Deeps, founder, hammerdwarf, and equally badass sparring partner of Stakud, still lives. Somehow. He was in the thick of it. A new hammersquad can be trained with him at the head of it.

A farmer managed to kick the forgotten beast's head off before the rampage continued. I was prepared to watch the fort get ruined, but now I'm thinking I'll try to continue. Most of the fort is unharmed, and the military is replaceable. Just gotta clean up the corpses, redesign the trap, assign some new troops, and carry on.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35135 on: June 23, 2014, 05:38:06 pm »

I figure the fact that i'm currently just keeping track of progress by checking the "installed mechanisms" count says i'm doing proper dwarfputing :P

And no, it's definitely not "mega" by the standards of the legends of yore. I'm using normal unmodded dwarfs with only invaders off for help, so it all takes its sweet time. It was a productive year, though - installed and linked up ~550 mechanisms, putting us just over 1800. The end of the boring bulk linkages is drawing near, meaning the next big thing is implementing the actual execution logic. That promises to become quite entertaining, since i'm still standing by my standard modus operandi of just winging it.

And this winter, no child decided to throw itself down the waterfall for a change. Progress!

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #35136 on: June 23, 2014, 08:17:13 pm »

Well, one of my militia dwarves is having a tantrum. His name is Cog Footfenced, from House Gorgeadmired. He was originally a marksdwarf, but the marksdwarf squad never really shot anything anyway and so I enlisted them in the now empty hammer squad to make use of the hammer skill they trained while sparring with crossbows instead of archery practice. He's the brother of Catten Wanderedmind, the legendary swordsdwarf who died during the rampage of the web spitting coral forgotten beast.

Cog is absolutely miserable about losing his brother, witnessing death, enduring the decay of his brother while the haulers haul all the bodies from the lowest levels of the map up into the fortress catacombs, and Cog also doesn't like the constant rain and constant revolting ooze rain.

So, he has a tantrum in the barracks. He stands on a bed for a while, probably yelling to all the other soldiers about how sick he is of all this crap. Then he suddenly punches a newly recruited swordsdwarf in the face. The strike tears apart the swordsdwarf's nervous tissue, paralyzing him and causing him to crumple to the ground. Then Cog just stands back on his bed and watches the helpless dwarf suffocate right there in the barracks. Then he tried to pick a fight with the squad captain and legendary badass Sibrek Channelboats. Sibrek just dodges the punches until Cog finally calms down.

Cog witnessed death, enjoyed starting a fistfight recently, and took joy in slaughter.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #35137 on: June 23, 2014, 08:51:37 pm »

Wow, when it rains it freakin pours.

First, a backup armorsmith went fey and started crafting some breastplate going by his item preferences, THEN an undead siege shows up a few days before the dwarven caravan, making them not show up (not waiting on anything in particular from them so whatever), THEN a goblin siege shows up right on top of the day-old zombie siege, THEN a forgotten beast appears down in the first cavern layer.

Zombies, goblins and forgotten beasts, oh my! (Had to do it)

EDIT: I missed the part about the forgotten beast being able to spew webs... Now I want to trap it and harvest its silk for some sick clothing.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 08:53:08 pm by Lich180 »

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35138 on: June 24, 2014, 12:17:17 am »

Finally, some good news. The ghouls in the caverns proved susceptible to rifle fire, even though they managed to hide behind some rocky pillars. Tunnels to set up enfilading crossfire are in the works. A magma pool to match my volcano was found, which was very strange indeed.

A Dhole attacked my fortress, and all but one stupid farmer made it inside successfully. The Dhole trashed my farms and related equipment, but the drawbridge and walls worked perfectly, and it was eventually dispatched from a safeish distance. Not before coating several people in acid, but it appears they survived the blistering goop "unharmed".

The current structure appears to make a lava valve possible, one that would flush the entrance area of undesirables and eventually drain to the map edge. Worth pursuing. Also worth pursuing: uniforms that would replace armor, getting my soldiers to wear their damn helmets already.

nimbus25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35139 on: June 24, 2014, 01:03:30 am »

The long-term goal for the Sabres of Cooperation is to make their fortress, Golddawn, live up to its name. There shall be 5 floors, all of them full Z-levels, with art of a sun on each of the floors, and a circular waterfall surrounding the sun. Just got the only 8 male dwarves outfitted in Steel Armor + Steel Axes, and spent a bit of time in the Danger Room. Wish me luck, as I try to make Golddawn my most successful fortress of all time (most only last about 2-2.5 years)

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35140 on: June 24, 2014, 03:28:46 am »

I figured I'd try to prepare a fort in advance. Sent in a team of 7 miners with just some booze and food, dug out a bunch of rooms of all types, abandoned the fort and then reclaimed it.
Worked pretty well, though my first two immigration waves consisted of those 7 miners plus 2 peasants :)

Edit: My other fort was visited by a flock of firebirds, which I didn't notice at first. Got lucky with everyone being busy below the surface, so only lost some animals and whatever flammable was lying around up top.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 06:07:52 am by Skuggen »

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35141 on: June 24, 2014, 07:01:06 am »

Any issues with intake, Larix? Assuming you could get the highest level of a magma tube tapped, the refill rate probably wouldn't satisfy a magma gun for very long.

I only tested the basic function with no real regard for the logistics, but that's definitely going to be an issue when using such a cannon militarily. My quick test caused a definite dip in the lava level of the tube, and handling the shot magma is likewise problematic - i think every liquid cannon that doesn't shoot from an elevated place will eventually drown itself if you don't install a sink for the liquid. And water - with the infinite source/infinite sink nature of rivers and aquifers - is much more convenient in handling.

I have not really thought about full installation of magma cannons, but the ideal magma supply setup would probably be to tap a magma tube from well below the surface, extract and deliver magma to the cannon via pumps and return as much as possible of the shot magma via pumps to the top of the tube (likely to result in pressurised magma in the tube), dump the rest off the map.

And @ HFS against hippies - true. This can only end in success beyond your wildest dreams.

Bolded the important part.

In short: oh yes.  Oh, very much yes.  I hope you don't have any magma channels off the volcano for smelting/forging purposes, because if you do, everything below the surface of the volcano's magma will soon be getting very, VERY hot.

It only took me three imploded, melted fortresses to learn never to pump magma back into a volcano unless you want hilarious amounts of Fun.
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35142 on: June 24, 2014, 07:56:15 am »

Giant tiger cubs!

weeeeeeeee~~

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35143 on: June 24, 2014, 08:58:07 am »

Bolded the important part.

In short: oh yes.  Oh, very much yes.  I hope you don't have any magma channels off the volcano for smelting/forging purposes, because if you do, everything below the surface of the volcano's magma will soon be getting very, VERY hot.

It only took me three imploded, melted fortresses to learn never to pump magma back into a volcano unless you want hilarious amounts of Fun.

Maybe I don't properly understand the rules of magma pressurization, but let me attempt to gather the relevant bits:

Code: [Select]
###...### - Open space at the top of the tube
###...###
###~~~###
###~~~### - This section full of magma
###~~~###
###~~~~~~ -Outflow to various machinery
###~~~###

If one uses magma from the bottom layer as illustrated, it seems to me that magma could be pumped back at the topmost layer without causing any issues so long as it didn't completely fill. It's really hard to illustrate what I mean, but a magma pump will fill the highest space connected to its output via a continuous stream of 7/7 magma, so long as that height does not exceed the height of the pump itself. Therefore, pumping back into the topmost layer would be fine unless this happened:

Code: [Select]
###~~~### - Pumping back in here
###~~~###
###~~~###~
###~~~###~~ - Magma trying to stack up to the level of the pump from the outflow area.
###~~~###~
###~~~~~~~~
###~~~###

And that can be avoided by keeping the magma contained at the bottom level and preventing any continuous 7/7 streams from connecting with workspaces.

A lot of this is based on my experience with a complete magma landmine system in my longest-running cheatiest fort, so I do have experience to back up my claims.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Cerol Lenslens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35144 on: June 24, 2014, 02:43:44 pm »

My current fort has been a major success, for the most part. I unwittingly became a barony, and shortly thereafter a county. Diplomacy with the humans and their vampire reptile man law-giver diplomat was short and sweet. Goblins were being dropped in the pit with the tame giant scorpion, who later inexplicably died and was replaced with a giant leopard. My population had hit over 200, and I was preparing a special room to capture the forgotten beast in the caverns. About half of my external wall was built, which I hoped would allow me to survive goblin sieges without having to make everyone run indoors and have casualties when they decided to ignore me to drink from the river instead of the well.

Unfortunately, I didn't have a heck of a lot for the dwarves to do, so there was this eternal party going on at the statue near the entrance, and they were getting really, really friendly with each other.

And then the dragon hit. A long-named, fully adult dragon, ready to go all Desolation of Smaug on my butt. "Great!" I thought. "The spots the dwarves kept standing on when I was building the wall got filled in with cage traps, and a straight line to my fort entrance will bring this guy right in there! Then I can craft some particularly absurd trap and really sock it to the goblins!"

Except he doesn't do that. Instead, it goes around the wall, making a beeline for the hives I had on a hillside. Then, unimpeded, it walks right into my fortress.

"Okay!" I thought. This isn't too bad! It'll walk right through those doors and into the cage traps I have for bigger goblin sieges! This isn't so bad! I don't need to open the drawbridge, because I don't want the weapon traps to kill it, right?"

It proceeds to dismantle the doors and the raised portcullis I'd just installed, stops a square short from the cage traps, and breathes right into the party hall. Half the fort population is annihilated on the spot, including my legendary miners. And the lever for opening the bridges. And most of the cage traps. (Wooden cages.) Then somebody shoots the thing in the leg, and it decides it isn't going to move for a while, instead repeatedly breathing fire into my fort from a safe distance. During this, several dwarves go instantly insane from having all their friends die. And not a single one is melancholy or catatonic. No, just a swarm of berserkers hampering the defense and recovery efforts. Luckily, half the fort seems to be a crack shot with a crossbow or expert martial artists, and the berserkers often had combat logs like "Urist McTeethgnasher assaults the kitten! Urist McCheesemaker punches UristMcTeethgnasher in the head, shattering the skull and tearing the brain!"

Anyways, the dragon then proceeds to step into a cage trap that had a metal cage, and the threat is over. 3 seconds later: "A vile force of darkness has arrived!" Okay, maybe the threat isn't over! They show up on the opposite side from the wall I have built, my trap pit is sealed by the bridges operated by the lever the dragon melted and pools of magma caused by dragonfire are preventing me from rebuilding said lever, the doors and portcullis are gone, the cage traps have been disarmed, and almost the entire population is too busy starting fist fights to fix anything.

I managed to get some dwarves to dismantle the bridges, so hopefully that will slow the goblins down a bit, allowing me time to restock the cage traps...
"I've got a plan, hear me out on this one... I want to almost murder you."
"Boy, sure wish as Queen of the entire realm I had somebody to help me out with this. Advisor, tutor, anyone who knows what the hell they're looking at really.

Alas, the life of a Queen is a lonely one. Do the things with the whatsit."
Pages: 1 ... 2341 2342 [2343] 2344 2345 ... 3842