Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2340 2341 [2342] 2343 2344 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6101916 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #35115 on: June 22, 2014, 09:55:48 am »

FBs don't truly leave the map, only the visible area. It'll be back.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #35116 on: June 22, 2014, 01:03:30 pm »

The caverns have been secured! All current FB threats have been dealt with and we're expanding into the second cavern.

I've also seen one of the luckiest hunters. Poor sod got caught off guard while hunting when a vile force of darkness suddenly appeared right in front of him. He managed to fire off a few shots, crippling a few trolls, before the goblin knocked his crossbow away. I really thought we has doomed, but by Armok can he run! He led the whole horde on a merry chase to the walls where my marksdwarves where stationed. The marksdwarves rained down hell as the hunter ran straight through the horde, which was now being pelted by crossbow fire. Before long, the goblins called for a retreat and the hunter fucking survived. He went and grabbed another crossbow and continued hunting with a small cut on his hand. Didn't even see him go to the hospital to get cleaned up and what not.
Fucking badass.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35117 on: June 22, 2014, 02:23:58 pm »

That's brutal.

Brutal?

THIS... IS... DWARF FORTRESS!
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Insanity X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35118 on: June 22, 2014, 03:02:01 pm »

Got ambushed by two goblin squads.

The first group swarmed over the drawbridge and immediately got torn apart by my military, who do their training near the courtyard, and the human caravan guards.
The second was a group of bowblins (gobbows?) who started to fire at my soldiers from the entrance to the fort. One swordsdwarf fell, two bowblins fell, and the rest scattered while the militia dismantled those at the front
Several dwarves have been injured, including a baby, and I have no water to treat them with.
And the lord said unto John, "Come forth, and receive eternal life." but, John came fifth and received a toaster
Urist McMason, Mason cancels Build Important Wall: Making rock mugs.
It was inevitable.
My succession world turn.

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35119 on: June 22, 2014, 05:10:34 pm »

Time to implement the new silk farm timer.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35120 on: June 22, 2014, 05:47:08 pm »

Well, Findersspears has survived its first major invasion. Around twenty macegoblins and one crossbow goblin on a Rutherer stormed into the main courtyard and demanded our valuables. We hid behind our drawbridges, inviting them over the trapped 1-wide pathways, but they refused to charge the gates, preferring instead to swarm around and massacre our livestock. So we shot them with bolts from the upper level of the main entryway, then charged out to engage them head-on. The Rutherer died from an axe to the brain. One macegoblin punched a dwarf's head in. But other than that everything went well. The military is growing harder by the day, and new recruits will soon swell our ranks. The Hauling and Masonry Corps could stand to lose a few of its hundred-strong membership.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #35121 on: June 22, 2014, 08:16:14 pm »

I got carried away with the decorations for my arena. the bottom floor was originally only going to have the face of armok, but after I added a side chamber as a dragon pasture, I noticed it looked like an arm. Now I have a semi finished chibi armok for my arena, with tiny arms and a cute little pickaxe.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35122 on: June 22, 2014, 08:47:56 pm »

My core design for the compact low-maintenance liquid cannon
(http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-2666-parabellumsubmachinewatergun) can be adapted for MAGMA.

The design has an obvious weakness - there's no propulsion inside the loading pond and magma generates a lot of friction, so a simple pass doesn't work: a cart propelled by a fastest roller won't pick up magma, and a cart propelled by a high-speed roller gets stopped by the friction. What to do? Minecart collisions, obviously - just stick a few (i used three, which is plenty) carts into the circuit, and they'll just keep pushing each other out of the load tile. The rate of ‼fire‼ won't be too high, but it totally works. For actual application, you better get some plumbing installed, a three-cart cannon shifts liquid at a pretty brisk pace - one 2-deep bit of magma every twenty steps or so, about 17 full tiles of 7/7 magma per dwarf day. Required: three magmaproof minecarts, a 2x1 high-speed (magmaproof) roller, nine impulse ramps in a 7x2 closed track loop, optionally a way to stop operation - a simple off switch for the roller works just fine.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35123 on: June 22, 2014, 10:05:12 pm »

Any issues with intake, Larix? Assuming you could get the highest level of a magma tube tapped, the refill rate probably wouldn't satisfy a magma gun for very long.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35124 on: June 22, 2014, 11:15:12 pm »

A friend of mine that I hooked into DF is planning to unleash the clowns to deal with a surface infestation of treehuggers.

I told him I couldn't think of any way that could go wrong.

KiBoy

• Bay Watcher
  • You have been struck down! It was inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35125 on: June 23, 2014, 02:05:51 am »

FBs don't truly leave the map, only the visible area. It'll be back.

Yep, my salty blob is back.

But I still haven't figured out what to do with the levitating caravan... Any tips?
"Ha-ha-halt in the name of the Obeisant Vegetation!  Okay, Princess, you can speak to the Necromancer now."
"A-anou, Necromancer-san, could...  C-Could I have your autograph?"
If you imagine an 8-bit Hinata with elf ears, it gets even more ridiculous ^_^

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35126 on: June 23, 2014, 03:13:35 am »

Any issues with intake, Larix? Assuming you could get the highest level of a magma tube tapped, the refill rate probably wouldn't satisfy a magma gun for very long.

I only tested the basic function with no real regard for the logistics, but that's definitely going to be an issue when using such a cannon militarily. My quick test caused a definite dip in the lava level of the tube, and handling the shot magma is likewise problematic - i think every liquid cannon that doesn't shoot from an elevated place will eventually drown itself if you don't install a sink for the liquid. And water - with the infinite source/infinite sink nature of rivers and aquifers - is much more convenient in handling.

I have not really thought about full installation of magma cannons, but the ideal magma supply setup would probably be to tap a magma tube from well below the surface, extract and deliver magma to the cannon via pumps and return as much as possible of the shot magma via pumps to the top of the tube (likely to result in pressurised magma in the tube), dump the rest off the map.

And @ HFS against hippies - true. This can only end in success beyond your wildest dreams.

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35127 on: June 23, 2014, 04:46:03 am »

But I still haven't figured out what to do with the levitating caravan... Any tips?

Build a drawbridge below their feet if possible and then raise it.
If that fails build a floortile ontop a support beside them and collaps it with a lever.
That outta wake 'em up.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #35128 on: June 23, 2014, 08:47:25 am »

I thought this was hilarious.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #35129 on: June 23, 2014, 08:53:13 am »

Turns out giving the humans tower shields and 'fused plate' armor in the spirit of Romans makes them very fecund . . .
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 2340 2341 [2342] 2343 2344 ... 3842