Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2281 2282 [2283] 2284 2285 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6093440 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #34230 on: April 17, 2014, 07:38:30 pm »

So I think a kobold was trying to steal my wood. But my wood stockpile is also my war animal pen. So this kobold just got ripped apart by like a million war dogs.But I had singe deer in there too so a bunch of dogs burned to death. I also lost my only white stork and almost all my black bears, but luckily I still have a breeding pair.

EDIT: I lost all my non-singe deer animals. Fuck.

DOUBLEEDIT: I still have a female black bear cub and the war dogs assigned to my hunters, but that's all.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 07:43:15 pm by TheFlame52 »

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34231 on: April 17, 2014, 08:08:27 pm »

So I think a kobold was trying to steal my wood. But my wood stockpile is also my war animal pen. So this kobold just got ripped apart by like a million war dogs.But I had singe deer in there too so a bunch of dogs burned to death. I also lost my only white stork and almost all my black bears, but luckily I still have a breeding pair.

EDIT: I lost all my non-singe deer animals. Fuck.

DOUBLEEDIT: I still have a female black bear cub and the war dogs assigned to my hunters, but that's all.

So why was there a fire?
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34232 on: April 17, 2014, 08:12:10 pm »

I think the deers in his fortress breathe fire.

MrCompassionate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34233 on: April 17, 2014, 08:18:46 pm »

Please tell me that the goblins being led by something listen as "Deity" is perfectly fine? I heard about goblin nations being led by demons posing as gods but I didn't think one would just show up at my unprepared doorstep! Our defense is based around washing enemies into a sinkhole while we shoot knife blades at them (masterwork DF) but we have no good melee and only floodgates block us from the outside world. Anybody wanna pitch in with advice?
Don't worry, unlike real world gods, DF gods don't fight.
Also, since the demon is the king, he won't lead any attacks personally against you.

No I made that message because he DID lead an attack personally against me. Like he literally showed up and started murdering guys. Then after I made that message I spent about an hour killing an army of giant spider riding goblins being led by a god-posing drooling fox demon twisted into the shape of a man. Luckily he seemed obsessed with shooting frozen extract which meant he did very little damage so every able bodied dwarf teamed up to shoot/slash the demon to death while he ninja dodged for ages against about 25 opponants, demon was a boss. THEN we spent an hour forging projectile and shooting them at the remaining spider army trapped in the sinkhole. THEN a load of Drow showed up and attacked, almost killing us.

So in conclusion you are wrong, demon gods do show up personally, with an army.

Trivia: His name was "Un" the Aqua Demon. What a simple name for the Demonic God King of the goblins!
Edit: Oh wait I checked his real name is Gryaz Rustakes. Presumably Un is the god he was impersonating.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 08:32:48 pm by MrCompassionate »
NOW THE DEMONS OF THE UNDERWORLD SHALL SHARE IN MY HELL! NOTHING IS WORSE THAN A RAVEN CORPSE! NOTHING!

Bludulukus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34234 on: April 17, 2014, 09:34:26 pm »

A full human siege, they came mounted on giant ticks, giant cheetahs and cow moose. All humans died or fled, one dwarf lost a lower arm to a tick bite.

Lalasa

• Bay Watcher
  • And then there will be none
    • View Profile
« Reply #34235 on: April 17, 2014, 09:47:50 pm »

Fishmine is in the final death throes of a massive tantrum spiral.  I had the fortress for a very long time, and I've been wanting to try out adventurer mode, so I'm actually quite entertained.

vidboi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34236 on: April 17, 2014, 10:55:25 pm »

So one of my legendary swordsdwarves, slayer of many giant and dangerous beasts, just got one shotted by a plump helmet man...  ???

And now we have a fisherdwarf hurling boulders, oh boy, here we go...

WordsandChaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Words and Chaos blog
« Reply #34237 on: April 18, 2014, 06:16:30 am »

I'm having a lot of fun with triggers and pressure plates.

I've got a section of floor, over a 1z level pit, stairs at either end, that is covered with floor hatches. At the other end of hallway there are two pressure plates that are drop a few random hatches when people tread on them. It's a high traffic area, so there's a constant stream of bruised Dwarves funneling through the tunnels.

I've got a wall grate linked to two pressure plates. It's basically a door that acts as a shortcut. One pressure plate is at the hall entrance, the other in the narrow alley through one of my galleys. Dwarves that trigger these plates raise and lower the portcullis for the shortcut. Some make it through, some don't. It's hilarious.

I've taken to putting spikes at the bottom of the ravine next to my fort in the event that someone falls down the cliff and impales themselves. Also in the caverns where I'm waiting for some sparta-kick style shenanigans resulting in impalement. 

Meneth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34238 on: April 18, 2014, 08:33:14 am »

Got a Goblin Crossbowman siege, closed down the fort while building a shooting gallery.

Then a bunch of Gray Langurs show up. They saunter over to the goblins, pick the bolts straight out of their quivers, and just wander off with them. Goblins didn't react at all.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Visus Draconis

• Bay Watcher
  • Prognosticationist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34239 on: April 18, 2014, 09:07:10 am »

Welp, my newest fort is in the grip of a tantrum spiral. It all started when a few of my dwarves died to a Violet Xelic siege. The Xelics were repelled, but since the dwarves who died were apparently very popular, the rest of them started going nuts left and right.

Currently I've built a small refuge near the magma pipes, with all the food and drink the dwarves could salvage. I plan to seal off the grand dining hall where most of the dwarves are and let the spiral burn itself out then reclaim that area, a la Headshoots.

EDIT: Dammit. One of the dwarves in what I call "the Last Refuge" has gone berserk. This will not end well.

EDIT2: And it seems "not end well" is an understatement. An hour ago I had 190+ dwarves. Now I'm down to 60 or so.

Damn!

EDIT3: Oooh, got my first fell mood! This should be interesting.

EDIT4: OH MY GOD THE KID WITH A FELL MOOD JUST MURDERED A GHOST FOR ITS BONES

THIS IS THE BEST FORT EVER
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 09:52:44 am by Visus Draconis »
"Armok, I would like a set of ☼adamantine socks☼ for the winter holiday."

Syndrome-causing cloud of creeping mist appears at the edge of the map.

"I'll take that as a no."

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34240 on: April 18, 2014, 10:41:18 am »

That's happened before, and it is awesome every single time.
Almost makes me want to make my race count as living so these things could happen.
Almost.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #34241 on: April 18, 2014, 02:00:31 pm »

Got a Goblin Crossbowman siege, closed down the fort while building a shooting gallery.

Then a bunch of Gray Langurs show up. They saunter over to the goblins, pick the bolts straight out of their quivers, and just wander off with them. Goblins didn't react at all.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Weaponize monkeys: trap them in cages, release a few into a controlled room where they can breed like mad, and then release them on goblin sieges.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Serio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34242 on: April 18, 2014, 03:08:49 pm »

After sending twenty dwarves out to face down a Marsh Titan, which they successfully slew without casualties, the season changed... And this happened:

http://i.imgur.com/RS9Tr4a.png

I think this is the first time I've triggered a shift in the era. Although, seeing as my military has been wiping out any hostile invaders, it's hardly surprising!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 04:05:05 pm by Serio »

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #34243 on: April 18, 2014, 03:42:40 pm »

turns out that crab with deadly dust causes complete paralysis. good thing I trapped it before it can harm my dwarves. 4 elite goblin volunteers quickly took care of that.

One of the original FBs, a shelled earthworm has consistently resisted my attempts to murder it. I sent a dragon to kill it, but all that came out of it was a dead dragon and the beast alive, but with all its fat melted off and its brain burnt. BURNT. It seems to have a fairly deadly, but slow acting deadly dust, which is why I haven't sent any soldiers against it.

an ettin showed up. One of my hammerdwarves immediately greeted it with two hammer strikes, one to each head.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34244 on: April 18, 2014, 04:47:59 pm »

My fort will make the world enter The Age of Heroes soon enough, with all the violent beast-slayings we do.
Pages: 1 ... 2281 2282 [2283] 2284 2285 ... 3842