Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2279 2280 [2281] 2282 2283 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6093725 times)

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #34200 on: April 16, 2014, 04:14:55 pm »

Yesterday I was beset by tragedy when one of my founders (and a migrant) died of thirst. This prompted me to tell the miners to just dig down until they find either the bloody caverns or the aquifer, which embark was supposed to have. According to my memory, it should have been in all biomes, too, but it seems I may have been wrong about that, since...

I just used dfhack reveal to check where the aquifer is. It's there alright, but only at the very edge on the map, 2 thick, at 4-5 underground... at the base of the mountain. Of course it is. Over 40z below my camp, 70 tiles horizontally from my central staircase and a bit more than that from my surface fort. There's only 5 dry z-levels between the bottom of the aquifer and highest parts of the first cavern, and only 6z down from the aquifer to the highest parts of the 1st cavern which are below the aquifer.

So... (well, to be honest, I had guessed this already) in this fort, the pump stack is to bring water up to the volcano-top, not to bring magma up from the depths.

Koremu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34201 on: April 16, 2014, 04:24:13 pm »

So in this fort, the pump stack is to bring water up to the volcano-top, not to bring magma up from the depths.

At least you don't have to worry about temperature calculations.
It's a dwarf.  Their natural habitat is "trapped on the wrong side of a wall".

Flinging children halfway across the map to land in magma is good, wholesome fun, but extramarital reproduction?  Why, that's just unseemly!

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34202 on: April 16, 2014, 04:35:22 pm »

Someone got possessed and wants green glass as the primary ingredient.
Keep in mind this fort is in a GLACIER.
Well, at least the NOT_LIVING tag will keep them sane.

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34203 on: April 16, 2014, 06:28:35 pm »

Weremonkey problem sorted itself out.

I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34204 on: April 16, 2014, 06:31:39 pm »

The caravan came and had enough green glass.
It's a useless trinket.
Woo.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34205 on: April 16, 2014, 06:48:50 pm »

Just noticed on the civilization name of the elves and goblins. The elves civ is called "The Accidental Growths". The goblins are called "The Shameful Immortality".
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #34206 on: April 16, 2014, 06:59:09 pm »

A kobold thief was found by one of my hunters. It was promptly shot to death, butchered, and eaten. Fuck yeah, eating of sentient beings. Also I noticed I have over 3000 prepared meals so I stopped the production of them. I now have over 3000 meat as well, due to ~10 orcas washing up on the beach to be eaten. I NOW HAVE ENOUGH FOOD TO LAST TEN THOUSAND YEARS, SHIT WHERE AM I GOING TO PUT IT ALL.

Zammer990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34207 on: April 16, 2014, 08:48:31 pm »

A kobold thief was found by one of my hunters. It was promptly shot to death, butchered, and eaten. Fuck yeah, eating of sentient beings. Also I noticed I have over 3000 prepared meals so I stopped the production of them. I now have over 3000 meat as well, due to ~10 orcas washing up on the beach to be eaten. I NOW HAVE ENOUGH FOOD TO LAST TEN THOUSAND YEARS, SHIT WHERE AM I GOING TO PUT IT ALL.

Sell it all
or, put it on a bridge and launch it at the ocean, pray to RNG god and kill more orcas
rinse and repeat
If your animals aren't expendable, you could always station a dwarf or two out there?

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34208 on: April 16, 2014, 08:50:24 pm »

My fort, despite nobody needing to eat, has 8511 units of meat.
We literally can't get rid of the stuff.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #34209 on: April 16, 2014, 09:54:05 pm »

mass dump then drawbridge, or build a meat catapult and use it against invaders
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34210 on: April 17, 2014, 07:06:58 am »

One forgotten beast came buy, an ashen blob, and now a second, a noseless mouse with mandibles.
Eh, my military can destroy it, too.

EDIT: It died, and, not a while after, my soldier named its adamantine sword Quabxidel.

Visus Draconis

• Bay Watcher
  • Prognosticationist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34211 on: April 17, 2014, 08:13:19 am »

So back at Almoshaban, my dwarves are gathering the stuff the dumbass traders left when they burned to death free stuff the traders left behind for us because they like us a lot. While they were doing so, I saw a couple of dwarves catch fire. Apparently they were trying to pick up stuff made of lightning. The shock of seeing two dorfs burst into flame has made my dwarves sad as hell, and one has gone berserk, forcing me to mercy-kill him with my militia.

I smell a tantrum spiral incoming.

At least they didn't set half the map on fire this time.

UPDATE: Another dwarf went berserk and was torn apart by my Badgerdogs and militia. After a bit, Kadol Ralakam, our best soldier with forty-seven odd kills to her name, became suicidally depressed.

Man, this is Fun.

UPDATE 2: Around four more dwarves have gone berserk, with one Presser going on a rampage with her axe and killing two other dwarves before being put down. Another one was killed by the war giant beetles I have at the entrance.

It's official: a Tantrum Spiral has begun.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 08:36:52 am by Visus Draconis »
"Armok, I would like a set of ☼adamantine socks☼ for the winter holiday."

Syndrome-causing cloud of creeping mist appears at the edge of the map.

"I'll take that as a no."

MrCompassionate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34212 on: April 17, 2014, 08:56:23 am »

Please tell me that the goblins being led by something listen as "Deity" is perfectly fine? I heard about goblin nations being led by demons posing as gods but I didn't think one would just show up at my unprepared doorstep! Our defense is based around washing enemies into a sinkhole while we shoot knife blades at them (masterwork DF) but we have no good melee and only floodgates block us from the outside world. Anybody wanna pitch in with advice?
NOW THE DEMONS OF THE UNDERWORLD SHALL SHARE IN MY HELL! NOTHING IS WORSE THAN A RAVEN CORPSE! NOTHING!

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #34213 on: April 17, 2014, 09:56:58 am »

Please tell me that the goblins being led by something listen as "Deity" is perfectly fine? I heard about goblin nations being led by demons posing as gods but I didn't think one would just show up at my unprepared doorstep! Our defense is based around washing enemies into a sinkhole while we shoot knife blades at them (masterwork DF) but we have no good melee and only floodgates block us from the outside world. Anybody wanna pitch in with advice?
Don't worry, unlike real world gods, DF gods don't fight.
Also, since the demon is the king, he won't lead any attacks personally against you.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Beast Tamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34214 on: April 17, 2014, 02:20:55 pm »

Question: has anyone done any science about Necromancers raising Forgotten Beast corpses? I have two necromancers I use to make training fodder for my army, and want to give the now legendary beasts a challenge.
There is currently a minor problem in that the veteran demons fighting in the corpse factory have failed to die in the 2 year battle and have become legendary unkillable gods of war. I may have misjudged this possible outcome.
Pages: 1 ... 2279 2280 [2281] 2282 2283 ... 3842