Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1899 1900 [1901] 1902 1903 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5972408 times)

Dunkelzahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #28500 on: March 30, 2013, 02:20:54 am »

building a few dorms for my dwarves to stay in along with a few dining halls... the only problem is that all water dried out here and they are slowly diying of thirst

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #28501 on: March 30, 2013, 10:02:38 am »

Caught a vampire in my current fortress, but not until after she'd drained the blood form my expedition leader. She then promptly claimed the title of mayor, and I got her locked away in her own little corner of the world. There have been many a migrant this year, and the booze supply is in danger of running out if I don't build a couple more stills to put to work. We're mostly locked within the fortress walls, though, as dragonman ambushes pose a serious threat that we cannot deter without casualties.

However, the glassmaking and metalworking industries are starting up nicely, along with some masonry. I've been able to bury everyone who's died so far except for a merchant, but they're all currently in the first hollow space I could find. Fortunately, I have a lot of room to make more hollow spaces, because most of the map, between the second and third caverns, is solid stone.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28502 on: March 30, 2013, 11:33:55 am »

Built up a fort in a mountain valley with only three entrances. One is the main tunnel gate, which is opened via two raised drawbridges that cover the tunnel. Lowering the drawbridges leaves a single entrance point, so troops can still muster out, assuming something doesn't destory the bridge*.

The second is a tower with a drawbridge connecting to a high ridge. This ridge leads to the main woodcutting/plant gathering area, as well as the eventual drop-off point for out minecarts, which will drop ores directly(down a hole) into the volcanic metalworks area.

The third is another tower, with a walkway leading onto the walls of the main gate. While not able to block itself off, the walkway will(eventually) be heavily trapped, and is vulnerable to fire from above(from the tower) and below, will eventually have upright spikes below. There is also danger from the minecart track that runs along that wall.

So far, this set up has beaten off one single-squad siege(the goblins stood in range of our marksdwarves, who shot them until they fled), and two weak ambushes, despite only having two squads even barely fit for battle(one marksdwarf, one hammer).

EDIT: *I just realized that a troll could just probably smash through the bridge below, and create access. Oh well.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 11:47:54 am by Akura »
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28503 on: March 30, 2013, 01:35:59 pm »

A minecart made to deliver ore down about 70 z-levels has a design flaw.

This design flaw resulted in the rather amusing mental image of my test subject being flung into a wall at minecart terminal velocity, dropping a z-level, having a minecart-load of marble and gold landing on them, and then finally the minecart itself.

I think I may have accidentally a Road Runner cartoon.

P.S. And good news! Just like a roadrunner cartoon, they are going to be using up almost my entire fortress' supply of thread cloth and plaster but it looks like they will pull through, barring any infections.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 01:47:59 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #28504 on: March 30, 2013, 03:43:33 pm »

The plans to create another Fort in Silentthunders beneath the Overworld complex and the Great Refuge and the Subterranean Fortifications and the Felsite complex have begun. Perhaps I should not try building so many Forts at the same time, none of them are finished!

...On the other hand, I found a Giant Rat. Aw yeah. Gotta find some place to put it. Rat zoo.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #28505 on: March 30, 2013, 03:57:39 pm »

Axehole got another large goblin siege at last. It's been a couple years since the last. This one is being led by the elf general, so it's a bit of a big battle. Over eighty troops, with some archers and spearmasters.

Thankfully the dwarves had completed the extra walls before the siege got here.

The halberd squad finally sees proper action, suited up in proper steel gear except for one poor fellow who got an arrow stuck in his leg early on. He just kinda crawls after his squaddies...anyway, one of the halberders took one three or four trolls on after the other all on her own, and took them down singlehandedly. Two trolls ganged up on her and broke her shoulder and leg, but she fights on, even stabbing the troll holding her in its grip. She stabbed it in the head while wielding her halberd in one hand. She's still fighting now, against more trolls. She's been nicknamed "Lil' Miss Spunky" for her persistence.

One of the treebeards bit a goblin's leg off. Just another day of beating monsters to death with a wooden axe. Num num, goblin drumsticks!
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28506 on: March 30, 2013, 06:28:36 pm »

Started a new fort a couple days ago. It was in range of a necromancer's tower, but I didn't worry because usually they leave me alone long enough for me to necro-proof my fortress.
This time was different. In late summer of my first year - before the first Dwarven caravan even arrived, but after 2 migrant waves - I was sieged by a pair of necromancers and about 30 zombies of sentient races (humans, dwarves, goblins). I locked the doors and they finally went home in autumn of the 3rd year of this fortress. I'm happy I had everything inside, and got everyone inside, before they got too involved, but they put a major delay on my fortress' progression.

In the mean time I did manage to get about 700 Bars of Coke from lignite and find some silver, though, so that should jump-start my metalworks nicely when I get enough population to keep it running smoothly.

3 years in, we finally got our first caravan, at least. The necros took off just in time I guess. we have plenty of trade-goods for them at least.

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28507 on: March 30, 2013, 07:00:14 pm »

This time was different. In late summer of my first year - before the first Dwarven caravan even arrived, but after 2 migrant waves - I was sieged by a pair of necromancers and about 30 zombies of sentient races (humans, dwarves, goblins).
dam, my early necromancer siege was half that and i had 4 towers instead of one (they also came in the summer). I managed to fight it off by first sealing the outside, then building a small maze of cage traps and mining out a entrance to the outside through that maze. They were all trapped by late mid-autumn.

OT yet again cleaning up after a massive 8th year necromancer siege that came with 120ish undead and 4 ambushing necromancers, though 2 ambushing squads of goblins added to their numbers. Also enjoying poking goblin weapon masters as in a room with 1 repeating spike as punishment for sieging my fort, also doing the same to goblin master thieves to extract "information" from them.

i've had a roc run loose recently since i have my peasants do the animal training, it became trapavoid and is labelled "current resident". I managed to trap it between 2 doors which lead to a room with many cage traps that i used to use in breeding wild animals. Setting up a cave-in trap now so i can generate some dust and knock it out and into one of the cage traps.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28508 on: March 30, 2013, 07:26:07 pm »

This year, I sent my only squad of almost unskilled soldiers out to hunt some wildlife... while running down some badgers, they encountered a giant jumping spider. The superdwarvenly agile speardwarf got there first and entered an interesting fight. He stabbed the spider a few times, but then got his right hand, left foot and right leg ripped off (in that order) before he bled to death. All of this happened before the rest of the squad arrived at the scene :-\ He was the first dwarf to die in this fort and got a grand burial for his efforts. The axedwarf who finally got to kill the spider is now the new militia captain and leader of a pack of even more useless migrants.

With this fort I'm trying a to keep a story going. It's a military outpust at a site with a lot of iron and silver. Iron weapons and silver crafts shall be the only exports to the mountainhomes, as they don't have any iron themselves. Humans can have some random armor and weapons from invaders, if they bring something useful in return, and elves get weapons, too - pointy end first. If the mountainhomes demand any kind of weapon or armor, I spend the next year making only those and export everything with the next caravan, no matter what I get in return. If I have to trade 100k worth of battle axes for a few bags of sand and some wool cloth, it's my problem - basically I serve the mountainhomes as an arms supplier. If they don't demand anything of military value, I can do whatever I want for a year, but still need to make military goods if I want to buy anything from next year's traders.
Also, every male dwarf has to serve in the militia, unless he's a skilled metalworker. All the industrial production and expansion of the fort is done by the dwarven women. I hope to avoid a few tantrums because of lost babies that way.

I expect the elves to declare war after a few years of killing everybody. The embark screen also said, there was a "Tower" civilization nearby... I guess, that means a necromancer visiting some time soon. There is no true locking mechanism for the whole fort, so we'll have to fight, when it happens. There's only one circular room (61 tiles in diameter) with a water source and muddied ground that can be locked completely to keep the civilians safe if nothing else can help. Danger rooms and excessive use of traps are also not allowed, along with other exploits. I will try to have a working "burn the world" device in a few years, though.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Dunkelzahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28509 on: March 30, 2013, 10:00:58 pm »

got elven traders, attempting to kill them, on a side note does a two story drop from a collapse kill anyone on said piece of rock?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #28510 on: March 30, 2013, 10:49:41 pm »

Due to a hilarious adventure mode bug wherein villagers you've spoken to in adventure mode are made historical figures and then their non-historical replacement clone is generated if you reload the area whom you can then talk to and also make a historical figure, I managed to get two identical copies of my weaponsmith, Catten Shemsavot. The first to become legendary, who was murdered by a dragonman thief, has now been succeeded as a legendary weaponsmith by her clone (or template; only they know which of them came first) after she produced a nickel pick called Tonguetruss the Angelic Dusk, worth 10080☼. It is studded with nickel and spikes of pigtail fiber.

May the remaining twin live long and make many ☼weapons☼! This makes for three out of four successful artifacts being composed of metals, and the fourth is technically also iron, but in the form of hematite.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28511 on: March 30, 2013, 11:28:07 pm »

got elven traders, attempting to kill them, on a side note does a two story drop from a collapse kill anyone on said piece of rock?

If they're standing on top they'll take damage from the collapse but the injuries probably won't be fatal.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28512 on: March 30, 2013, 11:46:41 pm »

First large goblin siege tried to hit Lashedbridge.  Two squads of cavalry tried to hit the main gate while a third squad sat around since their leader was in a cage trap.  A "minor" set of semi-randomly set weapon traps did massively more damage than I expected and a marksdwarf squad decimated the rest.  Then the standing around squad was softened up by marksdwarves advancing to stand on the walls while fifteen or so melee dwarves gathered near a closed gate, and then charged the broken up squad to finish them off.

While this was going on a squad of trolls started attacking the "pedestrian crossing" made of copper grates on the river bridge.   Three got slammed by a closing drawbridge, and the rest met an irate set of armored dwarves wielding long swords; including the ducal consort.

Another forgotten beast turned up in the caverns and was spiked by a trap cell.  And a new cell was constructed with steel spikes - and then used to spike the onyx opal beast already in a different cell.  Steel proved sufficient where bronze did not and the beast in now deceased.

And an interesting discovery.  A marksdwarf in his off-duty time got a mood and made an artifact copper pick.  The decorations on it indicate that a past queen of the dwarven civilization this fortress springs from was a necromancer.  Though I guess not a very good one since the current queen does not have the same name.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #28513 on: March 31, 2013, 09:22:07 am »

Well there's fuck all going well in Silentthunders now. The plan to farm more undead (over 50 of them!) ended with Aban Rimcrystal dead and the passageways choked with zombie Kobolds. At least it CAN be cleared up though... In time.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28514 on: March 31, 2013, 09:38:05 am »

The local necromancer finally visited "Daggerhall", my current military supply fort.
I think I made a mistake, putting a few serrated iron disk traps into the main entrance. When the invasion arrived, it were only about 30-40 assorted dead elves and goblins. Then they they walked into the trap corridor and suddenly there were a few hundred pieces of hostile anatomy that stood between my militia and the necromancer.

I sent 3 of 4 squads to get that guy, thinking a few detached heads and feet can't do much damage anymore and it was glorious. The militia hacked and sliced through until the whole entrance was a slimy mass of dead, half-dead or un-dead organic matter with my dwarves in the middle of it all.

Sadly, the big guy behind all that fun fled the site in the meantime. I'll send an invitation. He's always welcome to visit and bring his friends. The biggest problem right now is dumping the thousands of tiny zombie bits before he comes again. The fort must look nice and clean when guests are around, right?
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!
Pages: 1 ... 1899 1900 [1901] 1902 1903 ... 3839