Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1900 1901 [1902] 1903 1904 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5972413 times)

Scott Cee

• Bay Watcher
  • a medium-sized humanoid prone to procrastination
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #28515 on: March 31, 2013, 10:21:58 am »

Boulderblocked survived its first year. The farm and still is up and running.

A weresquirrel turned up, killed a dog and then ran away.

A dwarven child took a mood, went insane due to lack of materials, chased some elven traders around for a bit (like a proper dwarf) and then was killed by my militia commander who punched him in the head.

All the water evaporated during the hot season, but at least I have lava!
Scott Cee Cancels Sleep : Playing Dwarf Fortress

Big_James_B

• Bay Watcher
  • Veteran Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28516 on: March 31, 2013, 10:47:48 am »

I'm creating a Vault Gulag in Deon's Fallout/Post-Apocalyptic Mod.
I created one a year or so ago with rhenaya's drow mod and it turned out pretty decent, so I'm trying it out with a new version. This outpost is called "Groupbolted".

My main aim is to create a slave labour camp, start the "spice mine of Arrakis", and have a sizeabe force of military personal to "protect" the camp. So far I've plotted the mine, created the underseer's office (with several spaces in the wall so he can view the camp which are waiting for clear glass windows) and a few buildings housing my important stuff (food/booze). So far the vault citizens are enjoying nice, relaxing naps on the grass...no I joke, they have one dormitory of sixteen beds that they must share. My first caravan has been and gone.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 10:50:09 am by Big_James_B »
I think I am going crazy. I start to understand and actually follow Rumrusher along with his ideas...

0cu

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28517 on: March 31, 2013, 12:21:33 pm »

I breached HFS for the first time and lost my best fort so far to the clowns. It was around 8 million dwarfbucks worth and had around 140 dwarves.

Oh well, it was my fault for being too greedy. At least I have a reason to start over now.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #28518 on: March 31, 2013, 01:12:53 pm »

I have run out of cats.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28519 on: March 31, 2013, 01:34:07 pm »

A wereshrew attacked my militia commander. He dodged, blocked, and outmanuvered it all night and the second it turned back into a human he cut it into seven pieces.

Dunkelzahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28520 on: March 31, 2013, 06:16:26 pm »

dear montioun home, WHY HAVE YOU SENT ME LITTLE TIMMY AND HIS SIX BROTHERS JIMMY, TURNER, MATTHEW,JAMEs,ISSAC, AND WHOLEHEARTEDNESS TO THIS PLACE. WE DONT EVEN HAVE A GOOD WATER SOURCE but in all seriousness i am getting a crapton of children

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28521 on: March 31, 2013, 06:20:00 pm »

dear montioun home, WHY HAVE YOU SENT ME LITTLE TIMMY AND HIS SIX BROTHERS JIMMY, TURNER, MATTHEW,JAMEs,ISSAC, AND WHOLEHEARTEDNESS TO THIS PLACE. WE DONT EVEN HAVE A GOOD WATER SOURCE but in all seriousness i am getting a crapton of children

you require additional child-smashers

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #28522 on: March 31, 2013, 06:35:06 pm »

• [W] [all dwarves harvest]

Turn them all into farmers. They learn quickly.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #28523 on: March 31, 2013, 06:38:39 pm »

• [W] [all dwarves harvest]

Lock them away with one farmer in the farming quarter of the fortress, so he can plant stuff and they can harvest it, without all the other dwarves having their jobs interrupted by the desire to harvest plants.

Hurkyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28524 on: March 31, 2013, 06:50:50 pm »

Does "food hauling" affect who will harvest plants?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #28525 on: March 31, 2013, 06:57:27 pm »

Nope. The option loud whispers mentioned decides whether any idler will pick plants, and theyll then put the plants in the appropriate stockpile. Only after that does the food hauling labor matter to transfer between stockpiles.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Dunkelzahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28526 on: March 31, 2013, 07:07:26 pm »

well, i just dropped a ton of stone on Timmy while digging out the sky light for the new dining room, poor kid didn't see it coming

Update: okay so Timmy manged to doge it, by glitching through a wall and instead of him getting hit a cow got hit and turned into a cow paste
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 07:13:24 pm by Dunkelzahn »

Dunkelzahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28527 on: March 31, 2013, 07:42:49 pm »

i currently have 31 children, and a migrant wave arrived with more THERE ARE MORE CHILDREN THEN ADULTS, WHAT THE HELL?

on a side note a jewler made a coffer out of a jasper, two dingo bones, some wood, and more gems

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28528 on: March 31, 2013, 08:30:50 pm »

After a pretty peaceful year or so, my necromancer duo is back. This time, however, they decided to sneak in behind the human caravan. I have a pair of merchants locked in the fortress (they fled there when the first skeletal water buffalo charged the depot), the rest of the humans are now zombies - Including a spearman and a lasher.
I lost two dwarves trying to find the necromancers, and they decided to hack the zombies to bits, so what was once about 5 mostly-whole corpses became about 25 bits and pieces of animated dwarf, human, water buffalo, and fox bits. All of which are sitting in the trade Depot with the abandoned goods of the traders.

A migrant wave arrived, but I can't let them in because the undead are blocking the only entrance, so I'm jsut hoping they run into the necromancers so I can deal with this infestation once and for all.

In the mean time, I have found the first cavern layer finally, so this run-in with the necromancers won't stop my woodcutting and fishing, or cut me off from fresh water, like their siege in the first year did.

The only weapon-quality ore I have come across is silver - this includes the ore lining of the giant pit in the first cavern layer, so while I can make some devastating maces and hammers, my other weapons are pretty poor, and I can't make metal armour at all without importing materials... which, of course, these necromancers are not giving me much chance to do. I am working on some exploratory mining to try and find something, anything, I could use for some proper armour - I would even settle for copper at this point.

Such is life in Katthirletmos, "Nourishedcobalt". At least I do, in fact, have cobalt, so the name makes sense.

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28529 on: March 31, 2013, 08:36:27 pm »

this only works if you have a small amount of children, or else the exp is split between like 50 children and you have 50 adequate farmers at best when they become adults. You'll then end up having to turn off farming for them since only legendary+5 farmers should be allowed to farm, else you'll get smaller stacks of plants and decreased efficiency.

but yes, farming using small amounts of children does work, i've had 2 children become adults now in my fort, they grew up with legendary and high master farmer and are now part of my plantation team.
Pages: 1 ... 1900 1901 [1902] 1903 1904 ... 3839