Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1823 1824 [1825] 1826 1827 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5969323 times)

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #27360 on: January 17, 2013, 01:39:17 pm »

I'm trying to figure out exactly how I want my forts layout to look. I'm thinking a spiral ramp from th gee surface down, and a sealed exit out of the caverns for the caravans. The rest i'm not sure on, looking for iinspiration for the rest...

sprawl15

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27361 on: January 17, 2013, 02:17:43 pm »

My first siege happened at the same time that a human caravan showed up, but the pack of crossbow goblins was a decent distance away (1/3rd the map) so I figured the caravan could probably make a run for it.  It started off well, the lead wagon booked it straight for my open drawbridge and the rear one decided to turn and fight the invaders, giving more time for the one wagon to make it in.  I'm watching this, pulling dwarves in, etc., but generally fascinated by the one wagon that's intrepidly making its way along.  Then it stops and turns around, running back to the edge of the map, where it's promptly mowed down by bolts.

I get upset and try to see what caused the wagon to turn around when it was so close.

Turns out, it was the pack of trolls and swordgoblins that strolled right into my open gates.

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27362 on: January 17, 2013, 03:41:20 pm »

I just ticked off the elves again.  I don't know how.  Do they have an issue accepting clothing?  I have plenty of troll-fur and pig-tail clothing--is that the problem?

I have restarted the excavation of the geat hall.  It was half-way done, when I reclaimed the fortress.  It will be the typical hall with large pillars on either side, multiple z-levels.  There is a catwalk around the top and a series of rooms.  From the far end, I dug a single stair case down as far as I could.  I hit the first set of caverns, and eventually the second.  Fortunately, I also found a massive pit, and a lava pipe.  I desparately need the lava pipe to start smelting.

Two forgotten beasts turned up.  I was in the process of walling off the caverns for protection.  The beasts were peppered across the catwalk by marksdwarves, and then killed by two squads of militia.  Unfortuately, several squadmembers plummeted off the catwalks into the Great Hall, resulting in one death, and several injuries.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼

• Bay Watcher
  • Hight Tentacle of the Eastern Marches
    • View Profile
« Reply #27363 on: January 17, 2013, 03:55:42 pm »

I have plenty of troll-fur
Make a pair of masterwork socks, give them to your militia commander and somehow set him on fire. Then, unforbid his corpse.
Congratulations, you have recreated the way my fortress has died.
Quote from: Necrisha
while I'm processing immigrants
Therefore, starve your metalsmiths for maximum gains.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27364 on: January 17, 2013, 04:36:45 pm »

Up to 160 dwarves on vjek's crappy dwarf challenge.

(only 2 alpacas, and 2 sheep. Establishing pasturage on a desert embark isn't easy yo.)

Underground pasture? Anyhow, you can also force 'aboveground' pastures by channelling out a bit of floor - as long as it's soil, grass will grow once you leave the original surface level; even in badlands, deserts and frozen biomes. Of course it's sort of exploitive.

I gave the setup a whirl, out of curiosity. Since this was in my basic install with a 10 dwarf pop cap and invaders off, it wasn't for the contest. Interestingly, the only dwarf who got close to tantrumming was the immigrant beekeeper who pulled kitchen duty in spite of utterly detesting the rats that were crawling all over the food stockpiles. She yelled at the completely inept expedition leader without really feeling better, so i assigned her one of the beds (made from her beloved towercap) and built a pillar right next to it to support a door - because she likes doors. Got her from very unhappy to happy pretty quick.

Before the caravan arrived, i got my first mood - carpenter wanted logs and metal bars, so i had to breach the caverns, send in the woodchoppers and designate one of the battle-axes for melting. In early winter, two of the three miners (one original, one drafted immigrant) hit legendary - the third had the same labour settings but didn't make it past 'great'; and in mid-winter, the first mead was brewed.

The place is a bit short in resources, it seems - one type of ore, enough flux, that's it.

Gigaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27365 on: January 17, 2013, 06:05:34 pm »

First try with Masterwork mod.

You've struck Non-Euclidean rock.

Very much !!FUN!! later: All my dwarfs are dead. :( How can something non-euclidean be so harmful to dwarfs?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #27366 on: January 17, 2013, 07:32:22 pm »

I had thought dwarves themselves non-Euclidean...

Anyway, the fortress of Luckystream is still going strong. Relatively tough, at least. I still have issues with the lack of training for the militia and kobolds easily crossing the bridge into the fortress. So far I don't know of any kobold thieves making off with goods, so they haven't been sending ambushes either.

Work is steady, though, and I'm producing honey and wax form the beekeeping industry. Dwarves are having fun with the vulture population. My only hope is that I can eventually drive them to extinction. One of them got her tongue cut off, heheh.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #27367 on: January 17, 2013, 07:35:25 pm »

Horrorfurnace is progressing nicely!
The layout vaguely consists of random 3-tile wide corridors connecting various rooms. The entry plaza leads across two silver block drawbridges to the trade depot, and beyond that is the Silvery Hall. The Hall consists of +silver doors+ every few tiles, interspersed with +aluminium statues+ and cage traps. I've refurnished my dining room with finely-crafted silver furniture, all menacing with spikes of gold. My entry plaza is almost complete, with lots more cage traps, gold block pillars and ☼gold statues☼.
There is also a vampire. He ate my Legendary Hauler. (a title I gave to a dwarf who was the only one hauling when every other hauler was at a friggin' pary. I liked that dwarf).
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Koremu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27368 on: January 17, 2013, 08:28:40 pm »

I have just embarked upon a new fort, which is situated on a site where the first 20 Z levels are basically a huge pile of unrefined steel ingredients.

*rolls up sleeves*

I am going to strip mine the entire mountain.
It's a dwarf.  Their natural habitat is "trapped on the wrong side of a wall".

Flinging children halfway across the map to land in magma is good, wholesome fun, but extramarital reproduction?  Why, that's just unseemly!

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #27369 on: January 17, 2013, 08:31:27 pm »

I have just embarked upon a new fort, which is situated on a site where the first 20 Z levels are basically a huge pile of unrefined steel ingredients.

*rolls up sleeves*

I am going to strip mine the entire mountain.
And rebuild it out of steel blocks!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #27370 on: January 17, 2013, 08:54:27 pm »

Dwarven merchants arrived in Luckystream, and I had the gate open and militia ready to accept both them and any goblin ambushes that tried to use the main gate. The latter never showed, and the merchants survived the trip inside, all except for a single wagon. Turns out, I ordered the bridge closed just a few moments too soon.

I let the door hit them on the way in... :-[

the last wagon in line was broken on the spot, and two of the guards were flung into the air, breaking several bones. One landed atop my walls, the other in the field outside.

The merchants are already making plans to high-tail it out of here. I certainly won't be letting a load of high-value imported raw materials roll on out the door again, so I guess they'll just have to die.

In even more amusing news, apparently a kobold thief got locked in when I closed the hatch preventing the merchants from escaping. He was eventually found by a soldier, who beat him to death with a ☼copper mace☼
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 09:08:33 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Psuedonym

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27371 on: January 17, 2013, 10:28:12 pm »

Righto, so I've procrastinated a bit before getting to the fun parts. With the alligators on my heels I've managed to diggy diggy hole a refuge for my dwarves, but I've lost two wardogs and my woodcutter, who was also my fisher and my combat guy. I've dug a little tomb for him just outside, with a door to keep out the pesky's. Now then, with any luck I'll be able to reclaim all my goods without losing any more guys or having it stolen.

One of the bastard al's got a name, but I've forgotten what it was and it left the map.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #27372 on: January 17, 2013, 10:31:50 pm »

Things are getting slow in Oilfin.

No, seriously. FPS is dropping from the original 150 down into 70s and 60s now. Still decent, but I'm running out of things to do with this fort. It's been lacking in the siege department, with very little combat for the military. Not even a Forgotten Beast yet, just a giant we caught in the cage traps.

for giggles I pitted the giant to be dropped down the barracks tower to the execution pit below, currently inhabited by a king cobra the elves *ahem* donated. A simple king cobra, not even a giant one. The door to the pit is locked and the military is close by in case the giant gets loose, but considering the poor sob landed hard enough to tear his spine, I think he's quite indisposed.

The cobra just keeps snapping at him, and each bite injects the giant with poison. The thought of a teeny snake crawling all over a giant and biting him full of holes while the giant can only flail feebly is pretty humorous. It's like David and Goliath, you know, if David was a snake that bit Goliath full of venom after Goliath slipped and broke his back. Gonna have to see if all the poison kills him or the cobra gets a lucky bite.

EDIT: Cobra took 28 bites to kill the giant from venom injections. It actually bit 30 times, but two of the bites were aimed at the teeth and "the attack glanced away!" so those didn't inject any venom. The cobra has now been named Nawarasaba, Twilightearth, and I'm ordering the engravers to engrave his pit in the likeness of his image.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 10:40:34 pm by Mr Space Cat »
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27373 on: January 18, 2013, 05:52:01 am »

Fort's dying of dehydration.

Random wildfire just occurred, even though it's winter in a temperate climate.

Urist McFlammable spontaneously combusted, leaving nothing behind besides tattered rare silk shoes. He was underground at the time and had not gone up during the fire.

We can't afford anything from the caravan...

And we can't seize anything, they're fellow dwarves.

Here's hoping the boozebelly cheese and the scant few drinks being produced will be able to stave off death for some of the fort.

Psuedonym

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27374 on: January 18, 2013, 06:55:58 am »

Speaking of caravans, I've got one in right now. And my broker decided that this was the perfect opportunity to faff about. First he was involved in a construction project, which I cancelled, then he went for a drink from the river, then he went to sleep, and now he's on his bloody break! If they leave before I get to load some coke on them, I am definitely arranging an unfortunate accident.
Pages: 1 ... 1823 1824 [1825] 1826 1827 ... 3839