Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1821 1822 [1823] 1824 1825 ... 3838

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5965637 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #27330 on: January 14, 2013, 08:47:30 pm »

... I am wondering if vek modified the raws to make the dwarves into voracious eaters.
Nope. No mods, no changes. It's all default/vanilla raws.
Underground crops should provide far more than you need for food & drink, as Jimmy has mentioned.
All the seeds brought with the initial embark can be planted in Z-1 and Z-2 immediately after unpausing the save.  Nothing special required, no irrigation required, etc.

I am glad to see it is providing SOME challenge, though.  8)

I abuse the "you can grow surface crops year round" on my forts, and the fact that you can essentially have a pool of 800 seeds for edible plants instead of merely 200. (Prickleberry == 200, Strawberry==200, Fisherberry==200, Plump Helmet==200, total of 800 seeds for direct edibles. It means more aggressive agriculture is possible with less management.)

Considering growing plump helmet year round on a max size plot, forbidding plump helmet from brewing, and raising sweetpod ad cavewheat for booze only. That way I can keep them in both food and drink while I wait for poultry to grow up. I uncapped graphics FPS, and time zooms at lightning speed. I can go from having 500 drink to 20 drink in 30 seconds. For real. That's probably the major cause of the frustration. Should probably re-cap the FPS.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27331 on: January 14, 2013, 09:20:22 pm »

Well, it seems that the recent addition of an artifact steel high boot worth 103200 dwarfbucks to the other 2 artifacts has made me a target to the local goblin population.

I decided to seal up the fort after the dwarven caravan left because of the VERY high casualty rate from the snatchers and their large daggers. A farmer has been permanently crippled (lower spine broken, no nerve damage so we will see if he recovers) and all the military has suffered wounds of various severity. Thankfully the caravan brought the requested gypsum powder and lye, as well as some thread for sutures.

A gosling was left outside the walls when the order was given to go underground when the gate closed, and detected an ambush. That ambush was accosted by a buzzard corpse, which tore off the arm of a goblin, which promptly reanimated and attacked ANOTHER ambush.

I fully expect the surface to be covered in zombies of all sorts shortly. I'm also working on a trap corridor to hopefully catch this bastard and use him for training.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #27332 on: January 14, 2013, 11:32:29 pm »

... I am wondering if vek modified the raws to make the dwarves into voracious eaters.
Nope. No mods, no changes. It's all default/vanilla raws.
Underground crops should provide far more than you need for food & drink, as Jimmy has mentioned.
All the seeds brought with the initial embark can be planted in Z-1 and Z-2 immediately after unpausing the save.  Nothing special required, no irrigation required, etc.

I am glad to see it is providing SOME challenge, though.  8)

I abuse the "you can grow surface crops year round" on my forts, and the fact that you can essentially have a pool of 800 seeds for edible plants instead of merely 200. (Prickleberry == 200, Strawberry==200, Fisherberry==200, Plump Helmet==200, total of 800 seeds for direct edibles. It means more aggressive agriculture is possible with less management.)

Considering growing plump helmet year round on a max size plot, forbidding plump helmet from brewing, and raising sweetpod ad cavewheat for booze only. That way I can keep them in both food and drink while I wait for poultry to grow up. I uncapped graphics FPS, and time zooms at lightning speed. I can go from having 500 drink to 20 drink in 30 seconds. For real. That's probably the major cause of the frustration. Should probably re-cap the FPS.

I uncapped FPS to test syndromes in the arena. Typical response is that they die about a millisecond after I unpause. For syndromes which cause only bleeding, sometimes larger creatures will survive, which leaves me wondering just how long it took for that enormous pool of blood to accumulate.

Elephants and minotaurs have a lot of blood in them...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27333 on: January 15, 2013, 02:00:56 am »

Well, just spent three months cleaning up after a double siege that failed to injure any of my griffons.  Canyontalon has basically won.  It's invulnerable, aside from the fact that it's barely able to provide drink for its population without farming.  Perhaps I shall start farming there soon.

Speaking of farming, I'm in the planning phase of a successor to my community fort, which will be themed about farming.  Except I'd also like to do some mining, and in my debug fort I'm trying to learn how to breach aquifers.  I've succeeded on one level aquifers without killing or drowning anyone.  Translating that to a second level is proving difficult thus far.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #27334 on: January 15, 2013, 03:32:06 am »

One of my recent migrants turned into an Axe Lord.  I was not surprised, since he was a level 11 axeman.

What surprised me was this.

TOTAL. FUCKING. BADASS.
[RUMGOD][MURDERMACHINES_OVERLORD]
Quote from: StLeibowitz
Quote from: Yuli Vlasi
It's probably worth mentioning that AnimaRytak is the only ecstatic dwarf in the entire fort.
Quick, check him for rum! The bastard's probably spirited some off to his lair office, to act as pleasant refreshment as his evil scheme unfolds!

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27335 on: January 15, 2013, 09:41:16 am »

In year 1 after founding the fort, a were-lizard turned up with the usual big warning. I know werebeasts can be somewhat dangerous, so I sent my whole military (8 recruits with sticks and stones) after him... when they arrived there was only a human that quickly fled the site. Why does the fun always end before it really begins?  >:(

But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27336 on: January 15, 2013, 10:07:03 am »

Looks like I found the vampire.
It was the bookkeeper.
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27337 on: January 15, 2013, 10:29:25 am »

The dead walk! Hide while you still can!

Oh yeah baby. 71 assorted human, goblin, dwarf and elf corpses have started shambling all over my fort. Guess I gotta rig me up a smasher and some cages, and hope I get lucky and catch a necromancer or 3.

And they spotted the elven ambushes. Guess I'll just wait it out, since I don't have nearly enough cages for everything. They come riding all manner of beasts, and I can't even unpause without getting another announcement about yet ANOTHER squad of elves appearing.

Units list shows 124, 10 of those are olmpeople in the caverns, 71 zombies, the rest elves and mounts. Lets see  how this plays out.

One elf on a giant wren was shot down over the aquifer pit, and splattered on the ground. Thankfully the elf wasn't hurt badly, at least until the axedwarf squad hacked him to bits.

And the zombie horde has been cut in half, the elves either dying in droves or fleeing in terror. A few more flying elves were shot down over the fort and plummeted to their death. Guess I just have to see if the necromancers are still around...
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 10:53:31 am by Lich180 »

TVL257

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #27338 on: January 15, 2013, 01:58:04 pm »

Basically a double ZOMGWTF!! moment for me today.
First, i finally found coal the first time for who know how long i have been playing this game.Was digging out more spaces to get more chalks, I was so happy that i thought i would kill a T-rex with excitement alone.
And then like right after it "A vile force of darkness has arrived!", around 15 armed goblins came attacking my fully armed fist military. The result? 8 of them got captured in traps, the rest are probably party real hard in my meeting hall with a pasture full of chicks enough to open a KFC and drinking dwarves's blood as coke all day long.

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27339 on: January 15, 2013, 02:28:14 pm »

Odorrigged is due to a quick end by the hands of goblins.
I will never finish building the defenses in time, even savescumming.
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!

Scootagoose

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill them before I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27340 on: January 15, 2013, 02:43:39 pm »

Accidentally started a fire in my dining hall, and by accidentally I mean a dragon attacked and I was busy eating a sandwich to notice.
Unf.

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27341 on: January 15, 2013, 03:13:37 pm »

Hell no, TWO ambushes arrived, with the Elven caravan (who is doing nothing).
I compelled everyone to build (DwarfTherapist->Masonry to everyone), then I managed to finish a small observing tower with a drawbridge.
I raised the drawbridge as soon as the goblins arrived. I have to left someone outside, they are falling under the evil axes but at least for now I am safe.
That is, goblin cannot fell trees, right? Because I have a couple of trees in my wall... I didnt' manage to fell them and replace with walls in time.
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27342 on: January 15, 2013, 03:19:21 pm »

Hell no, TWO ambushes arrived, with the Elven caravan (who is doing nothing).
I compelled everyone to build (DwarfTherapist->Masonry to everyone), then I managed to finish a small observing tower with a drawbridge.
I raised the drawbridge as soon as the goblins arrived. I have to left someone outside, they are falling under the evil axes but at least for now I am safe.
That is, goblin cannot fell trees, right? Because I have a couple of trees in my wall... I didnt' manage to fell them and replace with walls in time.

No, you are safe with trees, as long as you consider looking ugly an acceptable sacrifice for surviving.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27343 on: January 15, 2013, 05:51:02 pm »

Shadeswords has been abandoned.  The dwarves of The Puzzling Sabre are now embarking anew in the plains and hills further east.  Ground has been broken on the new location known as Razorfist.

The terrain is a sloping hill running from the northwest to the southeast.  The dwarves have embarked on the second highest level with intentions to build initial quarters there and eventually erect permanent fortifications on the highest elevation later.  Clay and sand were immediately discovered upon digging downward.  Beyond that was conglomerate and some tetrahedrite, but also an aquifer that appears to extend to the west.   An edge was found and an exploratory shaft is continuing downward to see what rocks and ore might lie below.

The wildlife have been benign so far, but there is already a protective ditch around the surface entrance as well as some stone doors, hatches and a retracting drawbridge.  In the first soil layers there is excavated storage space, a room serving as a combination dining room/dormitory, and some farm plots to grow some initial crops. 

Once more information on the layers and cavern locations is gathered better plans can be laid regarding the design and layout of the outpost.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #27344 on: January 15, 2013, 07:10:11 pm »

Progress is being made on Horrorfurnace. I have a silver block trade depot, gatehouse and entry hall, decorated with <<+aluminium statues+>>. Construction of the silver block bedrooms is going slowly because I seriously underestimated the amount of blocks I'd need. Of course, the furniture is all silver as well...
The military is taking shape. Ten dwarves armoured in imported steel, armed with silver maces and warhammers. War bears are assigned to each dwarf, and a veritable army of cubs follow them around. I feel very sorry for anyone who decides to siege. And they probably will, my for has created 3.5 megabucks of wealth making all those silver blocks and statues.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 1821 1822 [1823] 1824 1825 ... 3838