Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1285 1286 [1287] 1288 1289 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6095274 times)

CaptainBadwheel

• Bay Watcher
  • Either a Doomsday Device or an Ice Cream maker.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #19290 on: February 17, 2012, 03:05:08 am »

Trying...get...dragons...make...babies...

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #19291 on: February 17, 2012, 03:15:15 am »

so, fun thing:
the architect vampire (which i found through sheer luck and when nicknaming him "THE ARCHITECT" failed) was sentenced to getting maimed. Since i had no chains. after that, obviously being still alive, i had to recruit him, and station him outside.
so far he has become a competent wrestler and is still going.
somebody please kill him before he becomes a force to be reckoned with
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19292 on: February 17, 2012, 07:23:47 am »

Oh god dorf-boner! My new embark has a brook running through it, half of it is lush and vibrant and the rain causes you to bleed. The other half is dead (probably causes zombies) and it rains goblin blood. The division is almost perfect along the brook. It's so beautiful.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #19293 on: February 17, 2012, 07:48:23 am »

Holy hell.

Population went from 26 to 61 in one wave. Too many migrants. Too many children. Migrants bringing entire families. Parents, uncles, cousins, nephews, siblings... GAH! The hell am I supposed to do with them?! The fort is overflowing with adequate farmers. Everyone are so heavily related. Cue one death and the fort implodes.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19294 on: February 17, 2012, 07:51:17 am »

Holy hell.

Population went from 26 to 61 in one wave. Too many migrants. Too many children. Migrants bringing entire families. Parents, uncles, cousins, nephews, siblings... GAH! The hell am I supposed to do with them?! The fort is overflowing with adequate farmers. Everyone are so heavily related. Cue one death and the fort implodes.

Actually this is a good thing. If they're all related, oh well.

Conscript the excess for a zerg rush force to back up your regulars..

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19295 on: February 17, 2012, 08:22:12 am »

I'm on a tundra. I have a volcano, hardly any stone. The ground is made of clay loam and red sand, so I'm building a brick, glass & copper (tetrahedrite) fortress.

As it happens, I ran out of booze. (no aboveground farming, caravan didn't bring a lot, no wood for barrels, forging them takes time and not a lot of rock for pots) Huuuge migrant wave arrives. Lots of kids.

Puzzlingly, there's a kid, seven years old, who is wounded (yellow or the darker yelllow) all over, except on his upper body. Do his parents beat him senseless or what?

edit: his marksdwarf mother has similar wounds. O:

Something's fishy.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 08:30:37 am by AWdeV »
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #19296 on: February 17, 2012, 08:35:37 am »

Great. 20 more migrants. More farmers and more children. The only good they brought was an adequate armorer.

dragginmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19297 on: February 17, 2012, 08:45:42 am »

Started a new fort RNG : bronzecoffins

2 or 3 rivers meet, 2 waterfalls into a ravine that drains off the top and bottom edge, no way to get from the surface to the ravine bottom without mining, building or supernatural powers.

So naturally the lucky 7 embarked on the frozen riverat the bottom of the ravine.

Hurriedly built stairs with wood brought along 1 z above waterline we break dirt hurriedly carving a room and hauling supplies inside.

We were not fast enough.

The rivers thawed, half our supplies and 3 dwarves to the bottom of the river.

2 miners, a mason and the bookkeeper are struggling to get a room irrigated, they *could* dig a staircase to the surface, but why let the vampires inside when the only access right now is a 1urist wide shaft behind a waterfall?

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19298 on: February 17, 2012, 08:50:23 am »

30 migrants. I got 5 soapers a legendary pump operator 2 peasants a miner with no arms 12 children a shearer 2 bee keepers 2 leather workers and 4 fisher dorfs (i have no water on my map).
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19299 on: February 17, 2012, 08:51:11 am »

Had a polar bear. It got shot by my hunter.

I organised my hunter and some ranger migrants into a marksdwarf squad, made crossbows, bolts, quivers. Second polar bear arrives.

I station the squad outside. One guy shows up without anything, the the others browse the map for bolts. One gets in a fight with a swarm of ravens.

The unarmed guy charges the polar bear. Results are predictable. The beast then kills my guard war dog (intended to keep kobolds out, got bitten in the face, dead) and scares off some other dwarfs. I organise a posse (expedition leader with spear, 9 useless dwarfs) and attack.

Two of the dwarfs die and the only one with a weapon, the expedition leader/milita commander is sleeping. Tosser.

Killed it good though.

edit: ohkaaay, in a baloney attempt at creating some obsidian (expecting it to sink), I pumped some water from an aquifer and let it spread and flow toward the volcano. When it hit the magma it froze. It froze. There's a damp ice wall on my volcano now. I haven't finished building a roof over the crater (to keep out ravens and such) which meant the water was "outside" and therefore froze.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 09:01:07 am by AWdeV »
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19300 on: February 17, 2012, 09:40:44 am »

My first fortress on the new version.

Embarked on a site carefully chosen to be half on/half off a sinistar  :P biome because I wanted to see what all the fuss was about.

7 dwarves, looked around. Oh hey, yaks! Oh... ZOMBIE yaks. Que a failed attempt to cull the local zombie wildlife I was looking at one dwarf alive and another being chased. Writing the chased dwarf off as dead, and wanting to escape the ressurected corpses of my other dwarves, this one brave soul sealed himself off from the surface in the caves that was to be their home. For the next few weeks he mined downwards, knowing that he had to hit a cavern with water or die of thirst. Finally found water, but was unable to secure any land as there were ominous signs of Giant Cave Spiders as well as a giant toad. I had the dwarf start mining out some rooms to use for masonry and fishing incase he could catch any fish.

Above ground I found the other dwarf had managed to temporarily shake off his persuer. Quickly digging a hole into the soft earth, he hit stone and sealed himself off from the surface as well. Figuring that their chances of survival would be higher together I had this second dwarf mine towards the first. Soon they were both fishing together, desperately trying to find something, but it became clear that the underground lake was bereft of fish.

As a last ditch attempt to save the now starving dwarves, I had them go back towards the surface and unseal the entrance. Through sheer luck they were able to make the short distance to the wagon, grab the much needed food and drink, as well as the bags of seeds for farming, store them underground and seal off the entrance again.

A year has passed, and the entrance has been opened a grand total of 3 times; Twice for some migrants, and once to grab the anvil from the wagon, as well as deconstruct it for the logs. This last expedition nearly resulted in disaster, as a single zombified dwarf chased one of the haulers down the shaft and into the homes near the underground lake. I was frantically trying to get the dwarves to seal off the tunnel infront of the zombie, writing off anyone caught on the other side as dead, when someone amazingly managed to kill the zombie in a single shot without getting hit. I quickly sealed the zombie off in a small constucted box before it could potentially reanimate. (Thankfully it has not the fact of having two seperate biomes means that zombies killed outside of the sinister biome don't reanimate (I think.))

There's now ~9 dwarves living underground, tentavely living off plants and with a growing smithing industry. Oh, and there's about 4 dwarf ghosts haunting them, so they're going to have to be put to rest (Thankfully they're not violent).
!!Fun!!
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Awessum Possum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19301 on: February 17, 2012, 10:04:19 am »

Normally I would go outside, get the pickaxes, make a nice slab for my miner, and carry on but...

So. Many. Giant. Mosquito. Zombies... Armok's beard they're everywhere!
because everyone here is OCD and ADHD, and then complain when their dwarfs act similarly in game.
@I used to be an axelord like you, until I took a (+bronze bolt+) to the upper leg, chipping the bone through the *copper leggings*!@

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #19302 on: February 17, 2012, 10:38:17 am »

Turns out there's one or more vampires running around in the fort, preying on the children. :o :D

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19303 on: February 17, 2012, 10:41:46 am »

I accidentaly my fort. Que desperate flailing to save stupid dorfs who wall themselves in on the wrong side.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19304 on: February 17, 2012, 10:48:51 am »

Some dwarves are unhappy because they've been forced to drink slime. It's evil rain that causes bleeding on contact. It's putrid filth which I'm pretty sure is canonically poop. My dwarves have been drinking the cursed sky-diarrhea that causes your skin to bleed even though there is a goddamn brook directly beside the fortress.
Pages: 1 ... 1285 1286 [1287] 1288 1289 ... 3842