Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1284 1285 [1286] 1287 1288 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6095226 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #19275 on: February 16, 2012, 09:44:54 pm »

-snip-

You need more blood and corpses.

sarus92

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19276 on: February 16, 2012, 09:46:29 pm »

So I decided to embark on a sinister embark for the first time, Immediately channeled under ground and started making my fort. Everything was going swimmingly until My first migrant wave arrived. Because as they arrived a Kestral Fiendish Gloom Thrall appeared, I then recruited everyone and sent them after it. Not five minutes later I had 8 Elite Wrestlers vs this thing.

They fought for around 2 1/2 months before everyone of my elite wrestlers died of thirst and that damn thing got to run away RARAGRHGRHAGRHQAR pissed me off, He was red in everything but still walked away conscious. twas good !!fun!! indeed, I also LOVE LOVE the Mist/storms w-e they actually killed two orgres camping outside my base!!! Although just one storm actually went over my base all the rest missed by a long shot.

Bingbing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19277 on: February 16, 2012, 10:04:35 pm »

Obsidian swords.  Bone / shell / leather armor.
No obsidian on the map, and there's no 3rd cave layer here either; skips straight to the magma sea. It could happen, but it would be very dangerous.

The butchers are all useless and refusing to do anything.

(is there any program that tells me how much of each rock/ore I have for the current version?)
Beware. Not of the E, or of the U, or even of the &, @, and b. Beware the #.<BR>(Translation:) Beware. Not of the elephants, or of the unicorns, or even the demons, carp, and badgers. Beware the husks, for they are relentless, corrupting, and unstoppable. Only the might of hell itself can even keep it in check; and only for a small period of time. If one sees such a being; run away, unless you like the idea of joining their ranks.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19278 on: February 16, 2012, 10:10:58 pm »

I have founded a fortress on the border of a terrifying zone.  I will found a fortress and hold off the undead evil from spreading further!

We quickly moved our supplies to out of the evil area to the Southern border before rain came (it hasn't so far but better safe than sorry) and are now working to drill through an aquifer.  None too soon too as some undead Ogresses have entered the northern border. 

Wow.. Those Ogresses fragged half my team.. Then raised from the dead and finished them off..
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 10:26:06 pm by Mickey Blue »

Durin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19279 on: February 16, 2012, 10:23:27 pm »

I...may have embarked into a living hell.

There are no strange mists turning all that it touches into mindless thralls. The grass does not have any eyeballs on it. It rains regular pure water. The worst of the wildlife are some thieving monkeys. Only my miner died so far, and 2 replacements have gotten close to his legendary skill.

There's just one problem.

I think there might not be any metal in the entire area. No copper, no gold, no silver, no iron, and apparently even no adamantine.

I am in a hell beyond that which any zombie, twisted sludge, or even the demons could have provided.

What should I do

Nothing worse than boring eh?

BORING? Do you know what it is like to live in an area with no metal? It'll take YEARS before I can make even a single well-equiped millitary force. I have to pretty much request nothing but bars, ores, and barrels from the dwarven caravan.

As I speak, I'm desprately poking holes into the magma sea to see if I can find adamantine. That might literally be the ONLY ORE ON THE MAP.

At least in those terrifying death traps you still can eventually dig out enough metal to outfit an entire armada. Here, I might have to use weapons made out of WOOD.

Let me repeat that. I might have to trade for weapons made by ELVES.

EDIT: My mayor just mandated the construction of a tractor bench. He's mandating to build something USEFUL. Are the nobles becoming less stupid?

LOL!

Ok, my mistake. I'm still something of a noob here, I guess. Good luck!

dragginmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19280 on: February 16, 2012, 10:23:58 pm »

Tantrum Spiral.

Vampire running around unchecked.

I failed in the booze production department is the main cause, and no wells or pools to drink from, aside from the carp / alligator snapping turtles infested rivers.

planning to reclaim if it fails altogether.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19281 on: February 16, 2012, 10:27:16 pm »

I genned yet another new world and apparently it was a bugged world because attempting to embark on a 3x3 area did this after the item/skill selection screen:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

DF crashed shortly afterwards.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19282 on: February 16, 2012, 10:47:38 pm »

Ok, trying again.  On the frozen fields loaded with monsters and the undead the fortress of Archmirror will attempt to overcome the darkness!

..Wow.. You know I used to be pretty good at this game.. But I just got curb-stomped by some zombie wrens..
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 11:03:13 pm by Mickey Blue »

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19283 on: February 16, 2012, 11:21:33 pm »

wooo! a re-download, and my funky bug of not saving goes away.

Anyways, new world and a default place leads me to a large sand area. Since I like 1-floor forts when possible, I'm working off or relatively low stone and thus all underground (more stone promotes me to expand my walls outside :)

One of my dwarves had an unannounced  strange mood, and sat in his sand-floor room secretively. When I first realized this, I ran around like a mad man trying to figure out what he wanted, as he had no skills to speak of. Craftting station? no. Jewelry? no. bowyer? glass? mechanic? forge? anything else? It was the veyr last thing I thought of - leatherworking. Heh. He made some nice leather trousers. TIL that tanning is a moodable charactoristic, as he's now a legendary tanner. no, he didn't actually TAN the trousers, but who cares, right?

The only other news so far in the fort is that my civilization doesn't have iron. That's particularly strange, 'cus they have loads of steel. Oh, I think I have a decent comprimise for security, rooms, and vampirism witnesses. Each room is a 4x4 dorm with each bed claiming a corner. I think this might work.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

dragginmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19284 on: February 16, 2012, 11:31:18 pm »

Tantrum Spiral.

Vampire running around unchecked.

I failed in the booze production department is the main cause, and no wells or pools to drink from, aside from the carp / alligator snapping turtles infested rivers.

planning to reclaim if it fails altogether.

reclaimed

there was one section of wall left designated to build.

upon reclaim got spam about cannot build wall, and could not suspend it or remove orders to build it.

had one lone berserker left from first embark, once i got a bridge built to span the river to kill him he had jumped several z's into a river, chased a camel in there, seemed to be ok with it but then DF crashed. I have never had DF crash before.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19285 on: February 16, 2012, 11:41:40 pm »

Ok round three for tonight, could only find a nice sinister one (split the biomes so possible different things from each side).

Got underground quick and working on digging out my fort.  No rain or serious enemies yet but a few big clouds of gloom (one huge one went right over the fort, managed to retreat within with seconds to spare).

Oh God.. The gloom cloud turns anything it hits into a zombie..
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 12:03:13 am by Mickey Blue »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19286 on: February 17, 2012, 12:07:12 am »

Ok round three for tonight, could only find a nice sinister one (split the biomes so possible different things from each side).

Got underground quick and working on digging out my fort.  No rain or serious enemies yet but a few big clouds of gloom (one huge one went right over the fort, managed to retreat within with seconds to spare).

Oh God.. The gloom cloud turns anything it hits into a zombie..

We at Parasol would like to apologize four our latest fog machine expieriment. Seems something went.... a touch screwy....

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19287 on: February 17, 2012, 12:19:57 am »

Learned from an artifact decoration that my king is a dwarf vampire.  :o
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19288 on: February 17, 2012, 12:26:49 am »

I wish it was less like some toxic zombie nerve gas and more like The Mist, where instead of instantly killing you it just reduced visibility to 0 - everything in toxic mist/fog except what is around your dwarves is blacked out.  That could be substantially more !!FUN!!, especially with the hordes of roving zombies.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19289 on: February 17, 2012, 12:28:53 am »

Learned from an artifact decoration that my king is a dwarf vampire.  :o

And should he arrive he get's to meet mister atom smasher.

Invaded a human fort.
In the ensuing battle all the dogs died, all the dwarves died and 6 of the 14 human soldiers died.
That was a day of glory.
Pages: 1 ... 1284 1285 [1286] 1287 1288 ... 3842