Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 744 745 [746] 747 748 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6109667 times)

Deviled

• Bay Watcher
  • Yup
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #11175 on: March 06, 2011, 10:32:33 am »

My game just crashed two minutes in to embarking.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11176 on: March 06, 2011, 12:27:06 pm »

Supplies of booze and food are low. The rivers have already claimed the woodworker who came in the first wave of immigration. My miners continue to ignore the designated dig area which was intended to be the first farm in favor of lounging around. We have been reduced to scavenging from nearby bushes and drinking from murky pools. The first wave of immigration was almost completely useless, except for the woodworker.

The second wave of immigration arrives, and I am slightly hopeful. Maybe one of them will have some useful skill, like carpentry, mining or brewing. No, says Urist McImmigrantLeader, we consist of a Weaver, a Miller, a Thresher, a Milker, a Woodcrafter and a Cheesemaker. I have no milkable animals, no kitchen, no cloth, and no wood even for beds. Dammit.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Kabuto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11177 on: March 06, 2011, 01:25:03 pm »

A giant toad just broke in somehow. I think my hunter let it in while attacking it...

I got 14 pages of reports on it. 4 pages of fat bruising, and 10 pages of vomiting/retching. His name was "the Hungry Head'. I guess he ate too much.

EDIT: Okay, now that I'm seeing actual "Hungry Heads" I'm really confused...
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 01:53:54 pm by Kabuto »

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11178 on: March 06, 2011, 01:37:46 pm »

The world I just generated in .19 is 50% covered by haunted mountains. Interesting to see all that purple...

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #11179 on: March 06, 2011, 02:23:33 pm »

I have discovered the ultimate fortress defense: a small ditch.

A ditch around the entire border, with only one point of passage onto the map. This point will be markedly easier to cover with traps. I won't have to worry about an entire seige striking just as I send all the idlers out to collect wood, because the goblins won't be able to reach them. Nothing will get into the fortress that I don't know about, save for the kobolds, for whom I will leave out all the cave spider silk socks they could ever dream of.

Talk about Boring But Practical.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11180 on: March 06, 2011, 02:44:35 pm »

Everyone cancels everything: interrupted by technically-still-living bloody mass of Goblin Thief limbs that can't even get to them x∞
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

FGK dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11181 on: March 06, 2011, 03:04:43 pm »

A ditch around the entire border, with only one point of passage onto the map. This point will be markedly easier to cover with traps. I won't have to worry about an entire seige striking just as I send all the idlers out to collect wood, because the goblins won't be able to reach them. Nothing will get into the fortress that I don't know about, save for the kobolds, for whom I will leave out all the cave spider silk socks they could ever dream of.

This will be great until the crossbow squads turn up...

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #11182 on: March 06, 2011, 04:04:40 pm »

Everyone cancels everything: interrupted by technically-still-living bloody mass of Goblin Thief limbs that can't even get to them x∞

That is why the main moat is filled with water, then they drown or climb back out into melee range. This amuses me greatly nonetheless.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11183 on: March 06, 2011, 04:17:32 pm »

And the giant cave swallow riding goblins. Maybe even crossbow goblins riding giant cave swallows!
Soaplent green is goblins!

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11184 on: March 06, 2011, 04:27:09 pm »

0.31.20...a fine release if I do say so myself. 
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11185 on: March 06, 2011, 04:28:21 pm »

And the giant cave swallow riding goblins. Maybe even crossbow goblins riding giant cave swallows!

Goblins can ride into battle on giant cave swallows? I never knew that!

... it'll take a few years for them to arrive. I'll build a massive dome over the entire map.

Lortath

• Bay Watcher
  • Alway symmetric, alway perfect, alway.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11186 on: March 06, 2011, 04:56:15 pm »

First ambush in Goldenvice.
Killed by skeletal Llamas.

I send my hammerdwarf squad for killing an alone skeletal Llama, the squad leader (the best fighter of the fort) lost is left foot in a battle of 4 seconds.

I need to weaponize these skeletal Llamas.

Urist McBusDriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11187 on: March 06, 2011, 05:34:05 pm »

I hadn't noticed until today that you can use Animal hair from butcher shops to make thread at a farmer's workshop.

Before this I always assumed you could only use rope reed/pig tail/yarn thread for hospitals and thus never built a loom, because it always uses up all the threads before a suturer could grab it. Animal threads however, aren't used in the loom so they make for excellent stitchings. I never knew animal hair had a use and it annoyed me that it filled up the refuse piles.

Now I have all the thread I ever need, plus a pretty functional cloth industry, no more xxpig fiber mittenxx for Urist ever again!

On a side note, my military consists of 5 marksdwarves on permanent hunting duty. They've gone on a slaughtering spree, keeping my butcher's shop occupied and have a very solid supply of * bone bolts * to keep up the slaughter. They're all legendary ambushers now. Plus they intercept ambushes pretty well.

I thought the loom can weave hair? And do dwarves replace their clothing now? I thought that that was bugged so Toady disabled it.

.20 seems to prevent grass growing underground, if the bugfixes are anything to go on, so I'll be immediately slaughtering any grazing animals now. (ęsthetically, I like to leave no trace of my fortress on the surface except for a hole in the side of a hill surrounded by an area with no trees. No outdoor pastures for me, thanks! And Urist McMigrant: sorry, your pet yak calf is going to starve.)
Of course, since he doesn't actually walk around counting things, we can only assume that bookkeeping time is spent in deep meditation, psychically sensing exactly how many piles of orthoclase there are. It takes a while to hone a skill like that.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11188 on: March 06, 2011, 05:57:28 pm »

I abandoned the other fort. screw it. I found a better place: shallow metal, deep metal, flux stone, an aquifer unfortunately, but I'll punch through it somehow. And the number one attraction: NO GOBLINS.

I'll find a way to defend myself against them eventually. But not today. Gullypage is a place to be free of the vile forces of darkness.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11189 on: March 06, 2011, 06:12:16 pm »

I am finally defeating an ambush! It's the first time! (I defeated an ambush, other forts either had half the population killed and were abandoned or just were killed) For Hamechewed! Later my dwarves will get steel armor/arms. And the crossbow squad turned into a hammer squad.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.
Pages: 1 ... 744 745 [746] 747 748 ... 3842