Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 743 744 [745] 746 747 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6109805 times)

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #11160 on: March 05, 2011, 09:22:34 pm »

One of my families now has ten children...
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11161 on: March 05, 2011, 10:19:32 pm »

Found two intersecting veins of copper only a few levels below the surface. If I can find cassiterite, I'll be set in the way of of equipment.

Also, yay! Lignite! I'll probably have to trade for iron though, and god do I hate trading.

EDIT: It looks like the copper vein branches off into two seperate veins, each the same size of the main vein. I'm drowning in a goddamned sea of copper.

Lucky bastard. I only have Galena, which leaves me with a load of lead and some silver. All I got do to is trade.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11162 on: March 05, 2011, 10:19:45 pm »

Still playing .18, mainly because I'm not finished with this fort.  Wiredust is running very smoothly.  I mean, yeah, people keep dying, but I don't care, so it's all good.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Stone Wera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11163 on: March 05, 2011, 10:24:16 pm »

Found two intersecting veins of copper only a few levels below the surface. If I can find cassiterite, I'll be set in the way of of equipment.

Also, yay! Lignite! I'll probably have to trade for iron though, and god do I hate trading.

EDIT: It looks like the copper vein branches off into two seperate veins, each the same size of the main vein. I'm drowning in a goddamned sea of copper.

Lucky bastard. I only have Galena, which leaves me with a load of lead and some silver. All I got do to is trade.

You know silver makes wonderful blunt weapons and ammunition.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11164 on: March 05, 2011, 10:36:38 pm »

Fighting in the streets...blood everywhere...
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11165 on: March 05, 2011, 10:53:20 pm »

Okay, after a number of rapid fortress deaths due to lack of flux and/or boredom, I finally have a good one set up. Outpost Athelemuth "Ringbeak" has been founded. Supplies of food and booze are low, and I just recieved a wave of immigrants consisting of:
-Dwarven Child x2
-Soaper x1
-Milker x1
-Weaver x1
-Woodcrafter x1

Meanwhile, my miners are ignoring the designated farm dig area in favor of lounging around in their rooms, while my mason has been mauled by a carp and my carpenter/woodcutter is going out of his way to get scared of groundhogs rather than, say, making beds for the useless new drains on my resources or building cages for the inevitable winter thieves. Actually, scratch that last bit. Maybe a snatcher will nab one of the useless brats.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11166 on: March 05, 2011, 11:59:33 pm »

Great. I finally got an ambush.

Six measley axegoblins and two thieves. All of whom, and this is the good part, were wearing COPPER.

I suppose I will have to wait for more ambushes in hopes of iron. Precious, precious iron.

ETA: Next attack was more profitable for me. Silver maces and mauls were to be had.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 01:06:49 am by proxn_punkd »

L3TUC3

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:common green]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11167 on: March 06, 2011, 01:04:59 am »

I hadn't noticed until today that you can use Animal hair from butcher shops to make thread at a farmer's workshop.

Before this I always assumed you could only use rope reed/pig tail/yarn thread for hospitals and thus never built a loom, because it always uses up all the threads before a suturer could grab it. Animal threads however, aren't used in the loom so they make for excellent stitchings. I never knew animal hair had a use and it annoyed me that it filled up the refuse piles.

Now I have all the thread I ever need, plus a pretty functional cloth industry, no more xxpig fiber mittenxx for Urist ever again!

On a side note, my military consists of 5 marksdwarves on permanent hunting duty. They've gone on a slaughtering spree, keeping my butcher's shop occupied and have a very solid supply of * bone bolts * to keep up the slaughter. They're all legendary ambushers now. Plus they intercept ambushes pretty well.

Vastin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11168 on: March 06, 2011, 01:14:28 am »

The accursed elves have struck my year-old fortress of Lolorlash - and as luck would have it, they came in considerable force (8 or more), and their timing was exquisite, striking during a small window of vulnerability as I was expanding my fortress walls, leaving the fort vulnerable to invasion.

Several of my dwarves were able to seal themselves in the dining hall on the fifth level, and a handful of others in the farm storage chambers on the first. Six others have already been struck down and a few are missing. The vengeance I shall wreak will be horrid indeed...

ElthMysterius

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Musician
    • View Profile
« Reply #11169 on: March 06, 2011, 03:57:49 am »

A little bit of inattentiveness caused, uh, this.

Actual spoilers ahoy!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"Strike the earth!"
"A section of the cavern has collapsed"
"Your fortress has crumbled to its end"
Yeah, in the future you probably shouldn't strike the earth quite so hard

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11170 on: March 06, 2011, 05:46:13 am »

1st summer in nutskiss, an elven outpost
9 immigrants brought the total pop to 16
Since IM v0.17 elves can safely consume turtles and the extra food from fishing has allowed actual cooking and contributed much to the attraction of these migrants. Created wealth: 2960!! (400 from an abaddon)
With the extra food, the fort now can sustain itself and will start actual farming asap. Hopefully the crop will mature in time to attract lots of elves next spring.

Spoiler: snapshop (click to show/hide)

EDIT: as I typed this .20 was released nutskiss probably will be abandoned as I upgrade to it....
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11171 on: March 06, 2011, 06:35:57 am »

just embarked a magnificent site
shallow metals, deep metals, limited surfacial flux, soil, fireclay, many trees, magma pipe to the 2nd cavern...

and .20 released.
damn... i mean, great!

nevertheless the metal turned out to be gold, galena and cassiterite. gold must have appeared twice...
was gonna abandon it anyway.  :P

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11172 on: March 06, 2011, 07:32:38 am »

Abandoned a site after prospector revealed the site contained only zinc and galena.  Having to import different metals is kind of nice for theme I suppose, but digging down LITERALLY over 100 z-levels and sending out exploratory shafts only to find nothing but rock, rock, more rock, and a handful of gems really isn't fun.  There needs to be a balance somewhere in how the metals work...
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Raging Mouse

• Bay Watcher
  • The mouse has become enraged! *DOUBLECLICK*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11173 on: March 06, 2011, 10:21:09 am »

So, I started a new fort recently. Decided I wanted a "Hole in the ground" -style main entrance; stairs around a channelled-out pit. I had a meeting place activity zone assigned on the first sub-floor around the stairwell, due to its central location.

Fast forward to the second spring, when the elves turn up with a tame elephant (along with two tame giant jaguars, both male though, goddammitsomuch). I squee, seize their cages and proceed to build a Kennel post-haste for some war elephant goodness (and that's when I discover that the giant jaguars also become war jaguars; score)!

All is well, and I'm preparing my entrance to post some guarddogs there for goblin protection when I see a message:

The stray war elephant has died from impact.

I look up and to the left; what the hey; combat reports?!? I don't have any tantrums, ambushes or hunters? So I check, and the elephant had indeed been fighting... a pet duck. A pet duck who had arrived with the first immigrant wave had for some reason I just cannot fathom picked a fight with my war elephant. On top of the stairs with that oh-so-inviting multi-storey free fall next to them. OF COURSE the elephant dodged there.

I built some rock grates and had them installed, while cursing and laughing.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11174 on: March 06, 2011, 10:22:57 am »

I just got a migrant wave of 24 I now have fifty dwarves, and no way to make food.
Pages: 1 ... 743 744 [745] 746 747 ... 3842