Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 746 747 [748] 749 750 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6109839 times)

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #11205 on: March 07, 2011, 03:00:47 pm »

Maybe it's just the embark (which is anything but flat), but there is literally hematite jutting out of the hill. Also found bituminous coal, lignite, and even star sapphires(!!!) this way. And barely one year has passed with my legendary slow pace. After I've gotten the hang of the game again and before I start a Let's Play, I will switch to the second-highest setting... or even, if I feel less elfy... scarce.
Anyway, thank you so much Toady for giving us that option!  :'(
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11206 on: March 07, 2011, 03:06:29 pm »

One of my militia dwarves killed a grizzly bear, just for the hell of it

Also working on weaponizing deer.
All Races Playable Mod - Minimal mod to play as any race in DF - For 0.50.01

Krelos

• Bay Watcher
  • Was nauseated by the sun recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11207 on: March 07, 2011, 03:22:25 pm »

New fort for .21.
3x3 Embark.
20 levels between every layer, only 1 cave layer to save FPS, though.
And mineral rarity set to 200. Altered the raws so all deposit stones that are normally large clusters are now veins.
Swapped the deposit locations for Microcline and Kimberlite.
Quote from: Ravenplucker
Quote from: Aklyon
Quote from: smokingwreckage
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.
or maybe throw them into the large hadron collider to atom-smash them instead.
Not to mention to throw all available animals into tiny pits.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11208 on: March 07, 2011, 04:17:37 pm »

New fortress for .21:

Rather awkward 6x3 embark to get both the volcano and brook in at opposite corners, but it doesn't seem to be hurting my fps too badly yet. Almost the entire map is 20+ cliffs, with a total of 64 z-levels from the highest point of the mountain to the valley floor with the brook. I've already struck hematite in my entrance tunnel, and I can see exposed tetrahedrite and galena veins on the same z-level of the mountain.

The only real issue is that I'll have to bore into the side of the volcano from a bit below the rim, as I feel that the risk to one of my miners (or possibly a cheesemaker cum miner with a copper pick and no experience) is less annoying than building a complex network of plumbing and workshops hanging out over a 64 z-level high cliff.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #11209 on: March 07, 2011, 04:55:07 pm »

DF crashed, so I decided to just make a new fortress for the new version.

Less than 2 weeks into the game, my medical dwarf (acting as mason) was horribly mauled by an alligator and died. On the plus side, the caverns are made of marble and gold, and I'll be easily able to protect the new fortress since it will sit on a cliff 10z's above where 2 streams meet, effectively starting me with a hella deep moat on three sides. A bit of engineering will give me an excellent controlled water source for whatever projects I elect to pursue. A bit of dwarven engineering will give me an interior magma moat as well...

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11210 on: March 07, 2011, 05:54:11 pm »

Just embarked on a new spot, testing out .21 with the mineral thing, popped open dfreveal real quick to give me a gauge as to where my caverns were.. 61 z-levels down, I find the first hole into the third cavern, and the third cavern is 70 (seventy!) z-layers tall, before it reaches the massive underground lake of water. Craaaaazy...at least to me, usually they're no more than 10 z-levels or so.

I want the world gen params and location. This sounds awesome.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Warped

• Bay Watcher
  • Crowded elevators smell different to dwarfs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11211 on: March 07, 2011, 05:56:21 pm »

Started *The River of Souls* with the plan to build the perfect Fort Defense ...er...fort. Currently in year 257 and I've been sieged more times than I have dwarfs (170 at the moment).

Awesome site by the way with a volcano, flux, tons of iron, copper and silver, a river and an aquifier.

Currently have 59 military dwarfs fully steel armored and weaponized. Almost every warrior has named his weapon and shield.

My best dwarf is a female Axe Lord named Gia Palacepainted the Praised Armory of Defense. She has 97 notable kills including a Tigerman General. 

Military breakdown:
20 Axe Lords
10 Hammer Lords
10 Sword Masters
10 Spear Masters
9 Elite Marksdwarfs

Fortress includes: Catacombs, archer towers, multi-level bridge entrances, river/moat, and an excess corpse/remains atom smashing facility.

Projects on deck: Gladiator Pit and Forgotten Beast Arena of Death

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #11212 on: March 07, 2011, 06:07:20 pm »

...where the hell is the magma.

Also, tigermen(!)

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11213 on: March 07, 2011, 06:24:51 pm »

"The dwarves were unable to complete the Well."

Hell, I thought they finished that years ago.  I guess this explains all those dehydrations.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11214 on: March 07, 2011, 06:27:49 pm »

Just got attacked my a Dragon (my first MB).  Once I finally got my marksdwarves to engage it, one (only competent, armed with an iron crossbow and arrows) of them two-shotted it.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #11215 on: March 07, 2011, 06:33:59 pm »

Well, shit. In an attempt to be more creative with my digging, I accidentally built my ramps wrong. As in, if I want to correct it to be usable the entire central spiral of the fortress will not use 75% of its potential real estate, not to mention the loss in aesthetic value.

Abandon.

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11216 on: March 07, 2011, 08:33:31 pm »

What's been going on in my fort? While playing around with the new release, I've had four Moods so far. One mood resulted in a dwarf that wouldn't claim a workshop and ended up going insane and dying, the others have resulted in:

Ottanrodem, The Mindful Pelts, a one-humped camel bone hatch cover
Thikthogmukar Limniral, Drenchsad the Wispy Portent, a hematite mug
Zuglar Ilush, The Ship of Carnages, a bauxite crown

*sigh* (seriously, I never seem to get COOL artifacts. Others I remember in the short time I've been playing are another crown, a stone table and a glass portal. Ooo.)

The name of the mug at least is pretty cool.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11217 on: March 07, 2011, 08:38:54 pm »

Thikthogmukar Limniral, Drenchsad the Wispy Portent, a hematite mug
Perhaps nothing cool from your perspective, but I'm willing to bet that any dwarf that drinks from that mug would beg to differ.

L3TUC3

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:common green]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11218 on: March 07, 2011, 08:56:05 pm »

A start with .21 has me actually requesting cats from the caravan, as the ones I have now refuse to breed.

Same for the dogs.

I also have a somewhat decent army of 5, but intend to expand it to a squad of full 10. There's plenty of soapmakers to recruit still.

Stone Wera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11219 on: March 07, 2011, 09:30:16 pm »

Old fort in .18

I seem to get the best artifacts under the worst circumstances. A golden war hammer with a picture of the god of truth on it's side in cassiterite, menacing with spikes of cassiterite. Pretty good, gold is a heavy metal, this'll make a great hammer. Unfortunately, my hammerer has taken using it to bash the skulls in of any craftsdwarf who doesn't fufill a mandate. That hammerer is in for an unfortunate accident. I think I might have to forbid it.
Pages: 1 ... 746 747 [748] 749 750 ... 3842