Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Your future Dwarven Inn Design  (Read 3874 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Your future Dwarven Inn Design
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2015, 04:13:24 pm »

Gonna cast that thing underground. Gonna set my population to 30 and make em' the hotel staff. Then, the single support lever is thrown.
All work and no play makes Urist a dull dwarf.
DWARF RUM
DWARF RUM
DWARF RUM

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2015, 08:38:39 pm »

Not gonna be happy until someone builds an inn in the HFS.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2015, 06:34:37 am »

An all-natural look with veins in walls and huge window/walls onto the cavern layer for them to look out while eating at the FBs and miasma. 8)
One wheel short of a wagon

Zealord

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME_SUPPORT:SUBURBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2015, 07:29:46 am »

I've been working on an aboveground Inn with a huge hotel tower next to it. I have 50 new migrants so I'll have to add another 5 Z-Levels of rooms. Luxurious wooden flooring and large furnished rooms will ensure that everyone can adapt to the superior human standard of living. We're kind of revolutionary here in Fancysyrup.

Somehow building up feels a lot better than digging down too (towards the horrific surprises that wait in the depths)
This is great.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2015, 07:33:19 am »

You're quite right: we need more skybeasts, marauding angels (Super-HFS, not that I've found it), dragons and rocs and FB fliers being "attracted" to super high structures. That'll put the smug tower-users in their place, as well as being pretty well on the metal side of LOTR.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2015, 08:01:03 am »

Magma.

Also full engraved and nice furniture, like legendary dining rooms. Opulent showoffs of dwarf craft. I hope the inn quality is proportional to the number of guests, because I will attract everyone in a ten-mile wide radius. Masterwork gold/iron statues, yo.

Also a fighting pit in the center. You know, Dungeon Keeper style, so I can entertain my honored guests with blood and violence.

Maybe make it out of cast obsidian ?

I will prize myself on a high quality service, after all, this ain't  Elf Tavern In A Highwood: Wood and More Wood.

Although to be honest: a tavern in a highwood is pretty cool as well.

I'll probably set up elf drop shafts so my visitors can be covered in elf blood.

+1

« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 08:07:34 am by Naryar »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2015, 09:52:30 am »

"Yes, Mr. Leonidas, we received your reservations.  Party of 300 and three orders of ☼Dwarven Syrup Roast [120]☼? Of course, your Dwarven Rum is chilled in the finest of ☼nether-cap barrels☼."
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Zealord

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME_SUPPORT:SUBURBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2015, 10:17:29 am »

You're quite right: we need more skybeasts, marauding angels (Super-HFS, not that I've found it), dragons and rocs and FB fliers being "attracted" to super high structures. That'll put the smug tower-users in their place, as well as being pretty well on the metal side of LOTR.

Indeed. I'd love having dwarfs wake up to a terror angel outside their window. I can imagine dropping down military dwarfs from the roof so they can try and chop a wing off of one mid-fall. Sort of a split-second Dragonball Z fight.

But you're right, there's really no risk or anything building up..
This is great.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2015, 10:25:31 am »

I'll check if this has been suggested, actually, and post something myself if not... might make an interesting feature...

NightmareBros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2015, 11:00:36 am »

I wonder if we will find a method to make other civilzations declare war on eachother

Imagine it, Dwarf Inns going down in history as the start of huge wars between humans and elves

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2015, 11:06:08 am »

I'm going to do a clan-based fortress (no migrants, all dorfs bred in-house etc). There will be extensive burrowing fort-wide.

So of course, this means that my tavern is going to be split into sections. The base floor is going to be a common mingling area with a stage, relevant stockpiles, etc. But it's going to attach to 'private clubs' which are open only to members of a specific clan, but are part of the same tavern 'zone'.

The idea behind this is that sometimes, a performer will decide to do their tavern thing inside one of the private clubs,  and only that clan will view it. I'll experiment with this to see what it does to fort dynamics.

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2015, 11:51:56 am »

"Yes, Mr. Leonidas, we received your reservations.  Party of 300 and three orders of ☼Dwarven Syrup Roast [120]☼? Of course, your Dwarven Rum is chilled in the finest of ☼nether-cap barrels☼."

I approve.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

AgentNos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2015, 11:54:49 am »

In the very centre of my tavern there will be a cage fighting ring. Remove the weapons from the elves and gobbos trained, definitely willing fighters and see how they fair against the joys of terrifying cavern beasts, troglodytes and my gladiator crews! It'll be a breakthrough in DWE (Dwarven Wrestling Entertainment) and draw crowds from miles around!!!

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2015, 12:10:32 pm »

Don't forget that Blind Cave Ogres can equip weapons and learn!
Pages: 1 [2]