Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Your future Dwarven Inn Design  (Read 3879 times)

ajar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Your future Dwarven Inn Design
« on: May 23, 2015, 05:39:26 am »

Hello,  I've been long thinking what will I include in my first dwarven hotel. The first schemes were under the name "The Inn of Drowning" which would include a large drowning trap. There's been several other ideas since, but currently I've gone through the testing of a magma cast Inn concept, successfully. The only obstacle now is speed of construction, which I did make improvements in. It's not just a matter of showing off, or making elaborate plans beforehand. There are many lucrative simple concepts out there that we don't consider ourselves, but the adopting of which would make us happier than the basic "my own inn" effect. It doesn't have to be even 50% mine 50% communal, it can be 100% communism, 90% own and 80% foreign.

Here's a 100% foreign concept I've come across from the world of magazines (The Guardian), which is impossible to imitate in dwarf fortress, but which is just impressive in an exotic manner.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 08:37:44 am by ajar »
And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened. Jesus-

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Your future Dwarven Inn Design
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 09:17:20 am »

In mine, I plan on having wanderers will come in, and marvel at the skylight dug several z layers into the main stage, where they can drink and marvel at whatever is on show. So essentially what it would be, is if the Globe Theatre was several hundred tiers tall, and inside a mountain.

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 11:16:25 am »

so is anybody planning on creating a normal tavern then?

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 11:19:43 am »

I'll probably set up elf drop shafts so my visitors can be covered in elf blood.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
    • My brand-new YouTube channel!
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 11:25:28 am »

I haven't even thought that far ahead.
If foreigners want to come to this dank, corpse-strewn hole in the middle of nowhere, let them come.
Regards,
Dampe

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015, 12:00:20 pm »

My plan so far is largely based upon my standard legendary dining hall plans. 

Engrave everything (except maybe for glass floor show), masterwork every table and chair, luxurious bedrooms, and a zoo of all the random crap I caught (always embark savage!) plus cages holding all the fools who dared attack my fortress, sitting naked and pelted with leftover turkey bones from visitors for fun.  Glass floorshow will be military training on naked goblins or elves.

In general, I've longed for multi-racial forts for years, so I want to entice as many animal-people to my fort as possible.  Hence, I want to pamper these suckers with every dwarven luxury I am capable of providing until I get a decent population of interesting critters.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2015, 12:10:54 pm »

I suppose I could build an inn in the same structure as the hospital. I mean, that's how it works in all the other games, doesn't it?

Here's a 100% foreign concept I've come across from the world of magazines (The Guardian), which is impossible to imitate in dwarf fortress, but which is just impressive in an exotic manner.

Oh, really?!
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

The Bard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2015, 12:16:03 pm »

I'll be adding a new floor to the Depot building I already make for the tavern and entertainment section with a shaft going down the back leading to underground luxury rooms.

The dwarves of the keep proper will, of course live in a high rise apartment tower.

ajar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2015, 12:28:02 pm »

I suppose I could build an inn in the same structure as the hospital. I mean, that's how it works in all the other games, doesn't it?

Oh, really?!

That was just my opinion :)
And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened. Jesus-

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2015, 01:04:26 pm »

Oh, really?!

Gonna cast that thing underground. Gonna set my population to 30 and make em' the hotel staff. Then, the single support lever is thrown.

Anyway, I plan on multi-level taverns. Like a western saloon with rooms up above and entertainment on the first floor.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2015, 01:06:33 pm »

Oh, really?!

Looking at them, it seems like those buildings are 29 z-levels high, (embark on a steep slope or something for room,) a lot of clear glass and bricks (magma kilns and forestry, ho!) and while that's likely concrete, limestone or a similar stone should appropriately replicate the appearance. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2015, 01:52:47 pm »

I tend to have a long road leading down into the fort proper; The surface forsaken except save a simple access fortification. It would make some sense to have a tavern for outsiders on the surface, not sure yet. If we can have multiple then I plan to have a few scattered in the more sprawling forts.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2015, 02:01:12 pm »

I'll probably either go for a nice big two-story wooden building with a big dining hall on the bottom floor, and bedrooms on the top floor. Or I'll put it in the giant room I dig out on the other side of the grand dining hall that I dig out that I used to use for stockpiles, but more recently just don't really use at all.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2015, 02:49:19 pm »

They'll be getting the best possible treatment, if they come. A walkway to the building, being a paved road, with statues along both sides, most likely silver, with a fountain/mist generator in the middle, a waterfall on the side, and statues lining all the walls but one, which will have a staircase leading to the bedrooms, each having a highwood or oak door, a masterwork bed, a stone table and chair, a wooden chest, and an armour stand. There will be some cats living in the area.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2015, 03:46:25 pm »

Gonna cast that thing underground. Gonna set my population to 30 and make em' the hotel staff. Then, the single support lever is thrown.
All work and no play makes Urist a dull dwarf.
Pages: [1] 2